• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never actually gotten past lv 30. I want to be a White Mage. I have my Conjurer at 27 and Arcanist at 12. I was just wondering do you have to separately level both Conjurer and White Mage to get their abilities?

yay, a fellow mage!! just got mine and noticed WHMs have absolutely no wait time for any party quests.

plake

Got GLA and CNJ to 20 and MRD to 17. So much fun. Going for PLD first although I had a blast doing dungeons as CNJ. Didn't expect that at all.

Here's hoping that the lv 20 cap will be gone tomorrow when I play on ps3. Otherwise I might just wait til the 11th. Busy week anyways.

phierce

Phase 2 ends at 1am PDT, right? Please tell me that's right so I can at least play a few more hours tonight. Need a few more tomes for my next piece!

Eusis

I don't really have plans to sub but I'm still buying it. If you pay $40 for a game and get a month of entertainment out of it, that is more than enough for me. If it comes out and is amazing and I want to play forever, I can sub.
Problem is when you buy it then get distracted by other games or whatever, as happened with me. Ah well, it's why you throw down $13 in a less busy month than, and this might be good for that unlike the holiday season when it hit.

hamchan

After being used to the PC version, the PS4 version is still fairly impressive. I'm just wondering how controller users communicate with other players with that slow on screen keyboard or maybe they just don't bother?

Played it for a bit. So strange to see other players running around in a rpg. And this one girl was dancing non stop

Game lools great but they should have used a high quality motion blur like planetside 2. It goes well with ths erratic performance

Requiem173

Neo Member
After being used to the PC version, the PS4 version is still fairly impressive. I'm just wondering how controller users communicate with other players with that slow on screen keyboard or maybe they just don't bother?

It's safe to assume that most PS4 players that will continue to play this game past the beta will use a keyboard in addition to the controller. I can't recall back in ffxi coming across a ps2 player without a keyboard.

Jomjom

Banned

Keyboard with direct input in the settings toggled on.

Aeana

You can plug a keyboard into the system.

DrkSage

Guys, I'm not a very savvy Strategic MMO player... So I was wondering.

So I'm a lancer, I'm dps right? Ok so I went to my first dungeon mission that is called "it's probably pirates" just north from aleport. So I got in a group and it was 1 tank, 2 healers and me the DPS. Ok so the thing is most of them got mad and one of them said "I don't heal DPS that pull" for what I understand of that is that I'm pulling mobs towards us, but in reality I wasn't. The tank was charging into action pulling the mobs and I always was running back taking my time and when I got to the place I tried to help him since he was constantly hitting 100hp.

Long story short: how should I deal with the next dungeon party I join? As I said before I'm not really the Einstein in this kinds of games

Sophia

So I'm a lancer, I'm dps right? Ok so I went to my first dungeon mission that is called "it's probably pirates" just north from aleport. So I got in a group and it was 1 tank, 2 healers and me the DPS. Ok so the thing is most of them got mad and one of them said "I don't heal DPS that pull" for what I understand of that is that I'm pulling mobs towards us, but in reality I wasn't. The tank was charging into action pulling the mobs and I always was running back taking my time and when I got to the place I tried to help him since he was constantly hitting 100hp.

Long story short: how should I deal with the next dungeon party I join? As I said before I'm not really the Einstein in this kinds of games

Make sure the tank has aggro established before you start attacking a mob. It's the tanks job to hold them, but he'll have difficulty doing that if you start attacking early, or if you attack the wrong mobs that he isn't attacking.

You can see the threat meter for a specific mob by targeting that mob and looking at the bars next to your HP bar, under your class icon. They'll be organized by how much threat you have (1 is the lowest) and if you have aggro on a mob, it'll be full and represented by an A instead of a number.

You can also see which mobs you have aggro on in the enemy list too. If you're number one in threat, it'll show as blinking square icon. If you're rising on the aggro table, you'll see an up (gaining) or down (about to pull off the current target) arrow indicating such.

aggropts61.png

As you can see in this image. I have the most threat. It's represented by an A next to my class icon (and a full bar) and the mob in the enemy list is indicated by a blinking red square. However the other two DPS are very close to pulling off me. In contrast, the Scholar and Chocobos hardly have any at all, and the one bard hasn't engaged the enemy yet and thus is not on the aggro table.

You shouldn't take you time, at least not that much time. Enmity management (like a hate table in which the mob lists who hates most and then attacks that one) ismostly the tank job.

Basically once the tank uses Flash (you can see the flashing on his body, even the skill appears visually on the players) you can start attacking the mobs (or even when he does that throwing shield skill). If you want to be sure, what mob attack, ask the tank to mark with numbers the order of kill, so you know to which enemy focus your attacks.

This is what a DPS job in a dungeon should be:

- As soon as the tank pulls mob, attack the enemy the tank is currently fighting.

- If you get hate, change to another enemy, and let the tank recover hate.

- Learn to use the Enmity bars:

4qVdnS6.jpg

The bars indicates the hate list of the enemy you're currently targeting, the more filled is that bar the closer you are from being the enemy target, you're FINE until the number changes to an A, if that happens don't worry to much, is normally the tank fault. But is good to keep an eye on this to avoid it.

This is the basic, but is enough to start learning your way into the game and the party play.

You shouldn't take you time, at least not that much time. Enmity management (like a hate table in which the mob lists who hates most and then attacks that one) ismostly the tank job.

Basically once the tank uses Flash (you can see the flashing on his body, even the skill appears visually on the players) you can start attacking the mobs (or even when he does that throwing shield skill). If you want to be sure, what mob attack, ask the tank to mark with numbers the order of kill, so you know to which enemy focus your attacks.

This is what a DPS job in a dungeon should be:

- As soon as the tank pulls mob, attack the enemy the tank is currently fighting.

- If you get hate, change to another enemy, and let the tank recover hate.

- Learn to use the Enmity bars:

4qVdnS6.jpg

The bars indicates the hate list of the enemy you're currently targeting, the more filled is that bar the closer you are from being the enemy target, you're FINE until the number changes to an A, if that happens don't worry to much, is normally the tank fault. But is good to keep an eye on this to avoid it.

This is the basic, but is enough to start learning your way into the game and the party play.
Thank you for this. As a healer, I love hearing what others are doing, it helps me understand my role better.

aceface

Also if you get aggro from an enemy for gods sake don't run in circles. It's easier for the tank to get aggro back if you stand still.

Sophia

Also if you get aggro from an enemy for gods sake don't run in circles. It's easier for the tank to get aggro back if you stand still.

Number one mistake everyone makes at least once. Never ever run away from the tank if you get aggro. You make it harder to pull the enemy off, you won't prevent yourself from taking damage, and you'll all around just make everybody in your party a little bit more miserable.

So if you're spread out a bit and an enemy attacks me as a healer, I should just stand there? Or should I kite them towards the main group and the tank?

I've been doing the latter, but sounds like I'm making it more difficult?

Sophia

If you're running to the tank and just stopping so he can get aggro, that's fine. It's running away and making it harder to get aggro that's bad.

If you're running to the tank and just stopping so he can get aggro, that's fine. It's running away and making it harder to get aggro that's bad.

Sounds like I've been doing it well. I've also been taking potions instead of healing myself if possible to keep the aggro lower. Is that still wise?

DrkSage

Ah, thanks you all for the tips. It's good to know this since now I kinda know what they meant when I was pulling. It wasn't that I was pulling more mobs towards us, it was that I was taking the mob off the tank. Instead of helping him (cause i thought he was going to die since he was low on health and i didnt see the healer healing him)I was doing the opposite and that's why the healer got mad.
Thanks again, ill play my role better next time.

Synless

Wait a damn minute, I had no idea I could use main lvl. 24 character in this beta, I'm exactly where I was!!! I'm also lost as I haven't played in a few months while waiting for the PS4 version.

molnizzle

Man I can't believe how well this works on Vita. Separate HUD and key binding profiles? Brilliant. All I have to do is switch to 720p downscale mode and BAM, it's like playing a native Vita game.

Just for crafting? HA!

Sophia

Sounds like I've been doing it well. I've also been taking potions instead of healing myself if possible to keep the aggro lower. Is that still wise?

Doesn't hurt, and it's definitely useful at times. Although you'll find as you get into higher level content that aggro is usually a non issue, and as a healer, popping an Ether for MP is usually a wiser use of the Potion cooldown.

Man I can't believe how well this works on Vita. Separate HUD and key binding profiles? Brilliant. All I have to do is switch to 720p downscale mode and BAM, it's like playing a native Vita game.

Just for crafting? HA!

If I could rebind the back touchpad functions to the touchscreen, I would feel confident tanking or healing Titan EX. It's THAT good.

hamchan

It's safe to assume that most PS4 players that will continue to play this game past the beta will use a keyboard in addition to the controller. I can't recall back in ffxi coming across a ps2 player without a keyboard.

Keyboard with direct input in the settings toggled on.

You can plug a keyboard into the system.

Hmmm, seems like a hassle for me. Looks like I'll just use the PS4/Vita version when I feel like soloing or crafting stuff.

molnizzle

...I would feel confident tanking or healing Titan EX. It's THAT good.

I just wish I could reliably re-map the tab through HUD button. I can't seem to figure that one out. Double tapping in the touchscreen seems to work about half the time, but not reliable enough for me.

Still, for soloing or even normal dungeons? Totally doable. I was in awe playing in bed last night. Fucking full MMO on my handheld. Jesus.

If only S-E could figure out some wizardry to use the Vita on-screen keyboard for chat...

Hmmm, seems like a hassle for me. Looks like I'll just use the PS4/Vita version when I feel like soloing or crafting stuff.

Do you even Bluetooth bro?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played the beta back on PC, but I'm curious before purchasing another copy for PS4. Do vanilla FFXIV PC owners get a free upgrade to 2.0 or RR? I remember hearing things a long time ago that 2.0 was a free upgrade, but I can't find a single article or website discussing it.

This would be a great game to have for my ps4. I need to be convinced I'll play it for more than a month.

Man, greatly enjoyed my time playing a conjurer with my buddies. Sadly, they won't be getting the full game.

Maybe I'll join up with some people on GAF. Still haven't made up my mind.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Does anyone know how SE are going to support this game? I know there's a retail version and I'm assuming it contains everything we've played in the Beta (and more?) but how are they going to make it pay? Monthly fees? DLC? Both?

Guess Who

Banned
Does anyone know how SE are going to support this game? I know there's a retail version and I'm assuming it contains everything we've played in the Beta (and more?) but how are they going to make it pay? Monthly fees? DLC? Both?

$30 for the game with 30 free days of game time, then $15/mo subscription. There will be expansion packs down the line.

APeacefulPanda

Neo Member
Finally got my second class leveled up to 20; good head start. Beta was insanely fun and exactly what I expected/wanted from the game. See you guys during early access.

Also, does anyone know by chance if trophy stats will carry over from what I've already done? Nothing is difficult at all to re-do that would've gotten me a trophy, but some of the stuff like doing a high number of a certain task would be nice to add up in the long run.

Anybody know if peeps who own the PS3 version and are moving up to PS4 will be allowed in during the early access period? I'll be playing on PC this week, but I can already tell I'll be missing the lack of remote play leading up to the proper PS4 release. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom