• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - PS4 Beta |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashetti

Banned
Blame the PS3.

Yup, I bought the PS3 version last year and was very impressed with it at the time.

After playing the PS4 beta, it's clear that the PS3 version is forever going to be a hinderance to the game.

Is it entirely possible that in several years they state that the PS3 version will no longer be supported and they can overhaul areas of the game so there's not a loading screen between every area?

Xux

Yup, I bought the PS3 version last year and was very impressed with it at the time.

After playing the PS4 beta, it's clear that the PS3 version is forever going to be a hinderance to the game.

Is it entirely possible that in several years they state that the PS3 version will no longer be supported and they can overhaul areas of the game so there's not a loading screen between every area?
I dunno about loading screens going away but they've said they may drop the PS3 version eventually. It's not gonna be for awhile, though.

hamchan

A bit sad since I bought the PC version at launch, played for a while, then bought the PS3 version on sale to prepare to transfer to the PS4 version. Turns out my PC and PSN accounts are different regions and Square Enix sure doesn't like that, even though it wouldn't be that hard to link all that stuff together. So it looks like I'll be abandoning everything I have on PC and starting anew on PS4, oh well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really have plans to sub but I'm still buying it. If you pay $40 for a game and get a month of entertainment out of it, that is more than enough for me. If it comes out and is amazing and I want to play forever, I can sub.

The R1 option isn't used to mark your map for you, it's a "Map Link" that generates the location into your chat text box so you can send it to your party/fc etc.

After you get used to the game surroundings, you don't need the map to see where you're going. The areas are designed with visible landmarks, so it's possible to see where to go from just minimap and environment as well. "Following the beaten path" also helps a lot.

For quests that progress in zones adjacent to your current zone, the zone where you can progress is usually marked with a quest symbol on your map.

For quests that progress much further than that, you can use the Journal which tracks all of your current quests and use the Map from the quest directly.

Okay good to hear, but is there no GTA like GPS system which points me to the location? I get confused, in the city, imagine wtf will I be doing out in the field doing quests (thankfully the first real quest was just outside the city gate rolf). I really dislike the map system.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I've got to say I've very impressed so far. Just ran through The Stone Vigil on the PS4 after not re-subbing on PC and I'll definitely grab the PS4 version. At least for the free 30 days I guess. The graphics quality is really impressive. The controller took a little getting used to but it's impressive it works so well.

Sophia

Anyone knows the exact time the beta ends?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/5f05dae44518ce12d881e5b2e256e707664adca1

Friday, April 4 at 1:00 a.m. to Monday, April 7 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT)

I don't really have plans to sub but I'm still buying it. If you pay $40 for a game and get a month of entertainment out of it, that is more than enough for me. If it comes out and is amazing and I want to play forever, I can sub.

I know a lot of people who subscribe just to play the story stuff every patch, and don't care about the MMO endgame at all. Finishing the main story in a month is totally doable if you don't level anything else.

Vashetti

Banned

Thanks man :)

I've got to say I've very impressed so far. Just ran through The Stone Vigil on the PS4 after not re-subbing on PC and I'll definitely grab the PS4 version. At least for the free 30 days I guess. The graphics quality is really impressive. The controller took a little getting used to but it's impressive it works so well.

Yeah I'm very impressed too, especially as I was impressed by the PS3 version last year.

It took me awhile to get to grips with the controls after not playing for so long, but I've slipped back into it now. It's just so smooth and a complete joy to play. Kudos SE, great job!

Any European playing on Ultros also?

Yup! My character is called Raphael Loreux if you want to add me. My PSN is: Vashetti

TheMink

Im so ticked right now, I've been locked out of my account due to "suspicious activity" and i cant change my password because the freaking thing wont send it to my email.

Im so ticked right now, I've been locked out of my account due to "suspicious activity" and i cant change my password because the freaking thing wont send it to my email.

SE account system is so stupid and archaic, I created a new SE account just for FFXIV rolf.

Korezo

Tried beta, did some new story quests, beat Titan first try and got his weapon. Got a lvl 90 body. Now I might sub, player skill is looking good now but still a lot if jerks.

dramatis

-The fucking map! Limsa Limonosa (sp?) is one confusing city. And yet your map is barely bigger than your mini-map, up in the top left corner of the screen. Until I figured out (hours later) how to get the mouse cursor to drag it to full size, the map was utterly unsuable, and it was killing the game for me. This was the number one place they should have made a huge change for consoles. One button to open up a full screen map, with console controls to move around and select things.

-The world not being one continuous streamed area is just awful. I couldn't figure out where the gates were in Limsa because you don't see the gates! You run up to a blue line with a gate presumably in the distance, and then there's a load screen and you've gone from in the city to out into a field. As someone who plays these games primarily to explore every nook and cranny and cover every blade of grass, that was the biggest disappointment of all. I can forgive all the janky stuff and HUD issues, but I want a full world to explore. I'll never walk that bridge and pass through that Limsa gate - it's not in the game.
First: The "full screen map" was in 1.0, and it completely covered the entire screen, which means you can only view it and then close it and run, then view it again and close it and run again. The current map, however you complain about it, is better because 1) you can resize it and 2) it is useable while you leg about, because it can be left open and you can still run about with roughly 3/4ths of your field view available. And it is possible to open with 1 button! Use the square button. I am quite sure the controls say "Square Button = Open Map".

The map is not "utterly unuseable", but in fact useable, with exactly the console controls you're clamoring for. If you open the map and it has the cursor (doable while standing still), you can use the right stick to move it around like a "click and drag", you can hold L1 or R1 and use Up/Down on the right stick to zoom in/out. If you are moving, when you press square the map will open without the cursor and function as a larger minimap, and it will move with you at the center. To get the cursor to appear while it is in this state, you simply press square again.

Reading a guy's post further up who complained there was no map when he was using only the minimap, really depresses me who tried hard and read all the active text and experimented with all the options available. There are some things that are obtuse, but because this is an MMO, you can ask other people if certain UI things are available so that you can increase your quality of play. I don't want to complain that players who complain about finding quest objectives or whatever are being lazy, but short of a yellow brick road holding your hand to the place, I can't imagine how much easier they can make it. Are bright yellow, immersive floor arrows guiding you to your quest objective better?

Second: It is lamentable that the game is not a seamless area, but this is a compromise made for PS3. If you can't figure out where the gates are when you can use the map, then I don't know what to say. Sure you can have the "go through the actual gates" option, 1.0 had it and it took you two minutes just running to leave the city, and two minutes to run back in. Here with the zone lines and the aethernet, it takes at max, even on PS3, 30 seconds to get around anywhere you want within the city or leaving it. The aethernet in each city ensures that you barely use the actual entrances/exits anyway.

Moreover, if you're exploring, you can find the gates just by checking out what is beyond the zone lines. To be honest you saying you like exploring everything, but also complaining you can't use the map, these are a bit at odds with each other, no? If you're exploring, you won't need the map, and just use landmarks/paths to find things. If you're complaining about how you can't use the map, then you're not exploring or using the environment to guide you. As one of the few people who actually does run around and not use teleport for everything, gates and bridges and the like aren't really the things I consider "an experience" when it comes to exploration and travel. Passing that Wood Wailer in Treespeak killing a whole pack of low level squirrels every time because of the way aggro mechanics work, seeing Rock Volnutt out in the field and immediately changing course to /salute him, stopping by to notice that lalafell merchant trying to scam a goblin just outside the Drowning Wench, and so on.

Sure, there are sights. But the world is much more than that, and complaining about not being able to 'pass under the gates of Limsa' is about as touristy shallow as it gets.

Sophia

I wonder what causes so many people to get locked out. I've never been locked out of mine. o_O;

<awesomeness>

Thank you for typing out all the things I wanted to say, but couldn't put into words.

orion434

This may be a silly question, but after the Beta ends tomorrow, will I be able to play on the PS3 again ( not that I want to go back ) or do I have to wait to play again at the PS4 early access?

Isaccard

First: The "full screen map" was in 1.0, and it completely covered the entire screen, which means you can only view it and then close it and run, then view it again and close it and run again. The current map, however you complain about it, is better because 1) you can resize it and 2) it is useable while you leg about, because it can be left open and you can still run about with roughly 3/4ths of your field view available. And it is possible to open with 1 button! Use the square button. I am quite sure the controls say "Square Button = Open Map".

The map is not "utterly unuseable", but in fact useable, with exactly the console controls you're clamoring for. If you open the map and it has the cursor (doable while standing still), you can use the right stick to move it around like a "click and drag", you can hold L1 or R1 and use Up/Down on the right stick to zoom in/out. If you are moving, when you press square the map will open without the cursor and function as a larger minimap, and it will move with you at the center. To get the cursor to appear while it is in this state, you simply press square again.

Reading a guy's post further up who complained there was no map when he was using only the minimap, really depresses me who tried hard and read all the active text and experimented with all the options available. There are some things that are obtuse, but because this is an MMO, you can ask other people if certain UI things are available so that you can increase your quality of play. I don't want to complain that players who complain about finding quest objectives or whatever are being lazy, but short of a yellow brick road holding your hand to the place, I can't imagine how much easier they can make it. Are bright yellow, immersive floor arrows guiding you to your quest objective better?

Second: It is lamentable that the game is not a seamless area, but this is a compromise made for PS3. If you can't figure out where the gates are when you can use the map, then I don't know what to say. Sure you can have the "go through the actual gates" option, 1.0 had it and it took you two minutes just running to leave the city, and two minutes to run back in. Here with the zone lines and the aethernet, it takes at max, even on PS3, 30 seconds to get around anywhere you want within the city or leaving it. The aethernet in each city ensures that you barely use the actual entrances/exits anyway.

Moreover, if you're exploring, you can find the gates just by checking out what is beyond the zone lines. To be honest you saying you like exploring everything, but also complaining you can't use the map, these are a bit at odds with each other, no? If you're exploring, you won't need the map, and just use landmarks/paths to find things. If you're complaining about how you can't use the map, then you're not exploring or using the environment to guide you. As one of the few people who actually does run around and not use teleport for everything, gates and bridges and the like aren't really the things I consider "an experience" when it comes to exploration and travel. Passing that Wood Wailer in Treespeak killing a whole pack of low level squirrels every time because of the way aggro mechanics work, seeing Rock Volnutt out in the field and immediately changing course to /salute him, stopping by to notice that lalafell merchant trying to scam a goblin just outside the Drowning Wench, and so on.

Sure, there are sights. But the world is much more than that, and complaining about not being able to 'pass under the gates of Limsa' is about as touristy shallow as it gets.

Drama; the hero you guys need, but not the one you deserve

Griss

I had to lol at the nitpicky nature of this comment.

First of all, the map was unusable as it was. I knew exactly HOW to use it, it was simply far too small. I don't need to be able to move about while reading the map. I want to read the map. I want to see the entire area at once, and see how everything connects, then plan a route. For that, I need a full screen map. No exceptions. We already have a mini-map, I don't need another one attached to the square button. I've already told you how much better I found a full screen map than what we started with, why would you try and convince me I was wrong about my own subjective experience?

Secondly, I only ever needed to use the map in Limsa, because it's a confusing two-tier city that looks much the same from area to area and because I could never find the fucking exit gate because it's not rendered properly, which - surprise! - is also a huge part of my problem with the game being broken up. There's a lack of a sense of place. I can't really tell how all the parts of La Noscea sync up because I haven't walked them myself. In fact, I'm not sure there's any logic at all in how the gaps between areas bring you north, south, east or west. Two Limsa gates that are near each other bring you to very different areas of La Noscea. I haven't seen any world maps online that actually show if you can make a coherent land mass out of the smaller map chunks. I don't think you can.

And as for the 'that's as shallow touristy as you get'. Hahahahaha, I just can't. Why do you think I'm playing the game! I don't give a shit about raiding or gearing up or what have you - playing the game is a virtual vacation! I want to see the areas, see the monsters, see the architecture, listen to the music, enjoy the entire world they've built. That's my entire objective! It's as if you're trying to make me feel bad for enjoying the game on my own terms, like scolding me for liking rock music more than classical music or something.

And secondly, as I mentioned earlier, the broken up nature of the world removes the 'sense of place' of each region. I don't feel like I've been there are I don't get a sense of the overall lay of the land. It's a hard concept to explain, but if you sucked me into wow using magic, I could tell you how to walk from any one spot in the world to another (pre Cata). That's important to me. Makes the world feel real. FF14 just doesn't have that. Invisible ledges don't help either.

pooptest

And the PS2 is the reason FF11 looks so bad on PC (unless you use Windower). Incredibly CPU-intensive and poorly capped at 30fps with significant drops. I think they've just been too lazy for 11 years to make an actual legit PC port.

Without Windower, it just seems like it's only convenient to play on PC as the default settings for PC almost look as bad as PS2.

Sophia

First of all, the map was unusable as it was. I knew exactly HOW to use it, it was simply far too small. I don't need to be able to move about while reading the map. I want to read the map. I want to see the entire area at once, and see how everything connects, then plan a route. For that, I need a full screen map. No exceptions. We already have a mini-map, I don't need another one attached to the square button. I've already told you how much better I found a full screen map than what we started with, why would you try and convince me I was wrong about my own subjective experience?

Secondly, I only ever needed to use the map in Limsa, because it's a confusing two-tier city that looks much the same from area to area and because I could never find the fucking exit gate because it's not rendered properly, which - surprise! - is also a huge part of my problem with the game being broken up. There's a lack of a sense of place. I can't really tell how all the parts of La Noscea sync up because I haven't walked them myself. In fact, I'm not sure there's any logic at all in how the gaps between areas bring you north, south, east or west. Two Limsa gates that are near each other bring you to very different areas of La Noscea. I haven't seen any world maps online that actually show if you can make a coherent land mass out of the smaller map chunks. I don't think you can.

He criticized the the elements of your impression that were distinctively not subjective. You were factually wrong about some stuff and instead of trying to find the answers or ask people (very helpful tip in an MMO), you let them cloud your impressions.

And on that note, the exits are marked on the map with a pretty clear arrow and text that stays on screen even if you zoom far out.

ffxiv_04062014_100642zoste.jpg
ffxiv_04062014_100651eds1j.jpg

And yes, you can make a coherent landmass out of the current maps. They're not actually disconnected. Looking out of one of Gridania's gates and vice versa, you can see the other zone. The lines are just more of a teleport. Essentially, a concession made for the PS3 version.

Yeah, but it's not 30 days of your choosing, it's thirty consequetive days from when you start. I often take breaks of a couple weeks before returning to a game.

Not sure why "subscription" MMOs haven't evolved into a form of "pay when you play" model.

Y2Kev

Yeah, but it's not 30 days of your choosing, it's thirty consequetive days from when you start. I often take breaks of a couple weeks before returning to a game.

The point is that it's X dollars for any 30 days, so you play for this 30 days, then stop, and then play for another 30 days some time later. I don't think it is unreasonable that they sell in typical chunks of time, even though your idea would be the best.

Not sure why "subscription" MMOs haven't evolved into a form of "pay when you play" model.

No "subscription" (why airquotes?) models work like that. Do you pay for just the TV you want to watch as you watch it or just the parts of the magazine you want to read? I think it's just normal. They probably make more money off people who fail to cancel subs.

Griss

He criticized the the elements of your impression that were distinctively not subjective. You were factually wrong about some stuff and instead of trying to find the answers or ask people (very helpful tip in an MMO), you let them cloud your impressions.

And on that note, the exits are marked on the map with a pretty clear arrow and text that stays on screen even if you zoom far out.

And yes, you can make a coherent landmass out of the current maps. They're not actually disconnected. Looking out of one of Gridania's gates and vice versa, you can see the other zone. The lines are just more of a teleport. Essentially, a concession made for the PS3 version.

The idea that those map symbols are in any way clear or that the green arrows don't blend in with the colour of the parchment is hilarious to me. I never noticed them until you pointed them out. I thought they were part of the art. Once noticed, there is no indication what this mediocre green triangle means. It could mean anything at all. You think that the map in the image you've posted is a good one. I disagree. And I notice you've massively expanded your map as well. Figuring out how to do so was incredibly unintuitive.

Also, I was not factually wrong about anything. You might have pointed out my factual mistakes, had they been there.

And I agree that most of the gates seem like simple 100m teleports, but I still can't figure out if all of the zones fit together properly in this way. Those two La Noscea gates that lead to different places really disorient me.

Look, once I got it working, it was functional, it was okay. I don't spend that much time with it open. But as a new player learning my way, who hadn't played an MMO in over 6 years and had no idea how to open the text box to ask for help - not having a proper working map made the opening hours a nightmare.

Isaccard

The idea that those map symbols are in any way clear or that the green arrows don't blend in with the colour of the parchment is hilarious to me. I never noticed them until you pointed them out. I thought they were part of the art. Once noticed, there is no indication what this mediocre green triangle means. It could mean anything at all. You think that the map in the image you've posted is a good one. I disagree. And I notice you've massively expanded your map as well. Figuring out how to do so was incredibly unintuitive.

Also, I was not factually wrong about anything. You might have pointed out my factual mistakes, had they been there.

And I agree that most of the gates seem like simple 100m teleports, but I still can't figure out if all of the zones fit together properly in this way. Those two La Noscea gates that lead to different places really disorient me.

Look, once I got it working, it was functional, it was okay. I don't spend that much time with it open. But as a new player learning my way, who hadn't played an MMO in over 6 years and had no idea how to open the text box to ask for help - not having a proper working map made the opening hours a nightmare.

This might not be the game for you; get a USB keyboard and hit enter

dramatis

I had to lol at the nitpicky nature of this comment.

And as for the 'that's as shallow touristy as you get'. Hahahahaha, I just can't. Why do you think I'm playing the game! I don't give a shit about raiding or gearing up or what have you - playing the game is a virtual vacation! I want to see the areas, see the monsters, see the architecture, listen to the music, enjoy the entire world they've built. That's my entire objective! It's as if you're trying to make me feel bad for enjoying the game on my own terms, like scolding me for liking rock music more than classical music or something.

And secondly, as I mentioned earlier, the broken up nature of the world removes the 'sense of place' of each region. I don't feel like I've been there are I don't get a sense of the overall lay of the land. It's a hard concept to explain, but if you sucked me into wow using magic, I could tell you how to walk from any one spot in the world to another (pre Cata). That's important to me. Makes the world feel real. FF14 just doesn't have that. Invisible ledges don't help either.
1) The map is resizeable
Covers your entire complaint that there is no fullscreen map. Enlarge that map until it covers your whole screen if you want it that way. Ironically, the map is flexible enough to cover your so-called "unusability" and the desires of other players to have a less space-intensive map.

The map is useable as it is. You're the one being nitpicky.

The two gates of a city in two different places are going to lead to two different areas in La Noscea? Who would have guessed. You can't find the exit gates because you didn't explore. People who look around can see the Tempest Gate in the distance at the Aftcastle area, and they can see the Zephyr Gate from the Bulwark Hall.

Limsa is apparently very difficult for people who can't understand that it's two decks. The Drowning Wench does not look exactly like Hawkers' Alley, Fisherman's Bottom does not in any way resemble the guild towers or the Grand Company headquarters. Even if the guilds share similar indoor features, each guildmaster is clearly marked and talking to them reveals who they are. The workstations show what those places are, flags are up to denominate the Marauders' guild (with their symbol everywhere), the Arcanist guild distinctly filled with books, the culinarian guild being a restaurant with very clear seating areas out in the air. A guy who cannot see gates rendered in the distance on a PS4, he probably isn't able to distinguish the architecture he claims he is here to see.

You're not playing a game. You're playing tourist. If that's the case, you don't need maps or UI help, you only need the ability to move your character. If it's helpful for you being a tourist, R3 brings you into first person mode. I don't remember how to remove UI and take screenshots using controller, so you'll have to google that info. You don't need an FC, and you don't need the combat system or a mount or the gameplay mechanics. Ideally, you will find some way to rip and unpack the environments and just sit in an Autodesk 3D modeling program and just stare at the 3D environment and adjust the lighting and render pictures.

What I am scoffing at you for, it's that you're not here to enjoy the game, you're here to enjoy virtual geometry. You don't need the game for that.

I heard of another mmorpg, that has seamless world, probably pretty good looking areas, and your mileage may vary gameplay, it's called Elder Scrolls Online. Don't know how well the map works though.

Sophia

Is the beta up? I'm getting unable to complete version check.

Yes it is. Sounds like you're either trying to use the first beta client (which Square repeatedly warned is useless after the end of the first beta test) or you need to go to the store and "repurchase" the game to add the license to your PSN account.

How do you use the touch pad? :3

It functions as a mouse cursor. Tapping the pad (that is, not physically pressing the button) counts as a mouse click. Pressing the button in selects different UI elements. You can adjust the functionality of it in the system configuration menu.

1) The map is resizeable
Covers your entire complaint that there is no fullscreen map. Enlarge that map until it covers your whole screen if you want it that way. Ironically, the map is flexible enough to cover your so-called "unusability" and the desires of other players to have a less space-intensive map.

I'm almost tempted to leave it like this, just to admire the map. I'm sure I'd end up raging the moment it got in the way however. >.>;

Griss

1) The map is resizeable

The map is useable as it is. You're the one being nitpicky.

Christ, you're not even paying fucking attention. I have already resized the map to be fullscreen, and it improved the game massively. I have said this twice. My initial issue was figuring out how to do that. Again, stated multiple times. Somehow you are ignoring it. If you won't read my comments why should i bother replying to the rest of yours.

I would like to state one thing, though - the idea of a virtual world without 'gameplay' has appealed to me for a long time. I've always wanted to make a 'countryside walking simulator'. I would certainly play that. And I do use first person mode quite often. You think this is some kind of a joke. It's not. It's a legit way to enjoy a game.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Yes it is. Sounds like you're either trying to use the first beta client (which Square repeatedly warned is useless after the end of the first beta test) or you need to go to the store and "repurchase" the game to add the license to your PSN account.
;

I already downloaded the new client yesterday, I tried again and it worked.

Y2Kev

I just got airship access. Why would I do quests in the other zones though? They're starting quests that are like level 1 and give me 50 xp. Is there a reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom