• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valor

I'm only level 29 though..

PotD has its own leveling system and it lets you unlock skills you wouldn't have access to yet regardless of your outside level, so you can play around with what the class will feel like later.

Plus, every ten floors you clear gives you experience towards your class/job outside of the dungeon as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
For the first time ever, I have the most up to date anima/relic weapon.

g6EefsV.png

Is there a new quest with the update next week?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hit level 30.
Learned the proper way of playing in a party.
Got a chocobo.
Completed the lancer's guild quests.

Today was a good day. :)

How do I get my chocobo to show up so I can ride it though? Clicking the icon doesn't seem to do anything. Also, someone mentioned choosing a job when I hit level 30... how does that work?

5 days left on my free trial...

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Hit level 30.
Learned the proper way of playing in a party.
Got a chocobo.

How do I get my chocobo to show up so I can ride it though? Clicking the icon doesn't seem to do anything. Also, someone mentioned choosing a job when I hit level 30... how does that work?

5 days left on my free trial...

speed grind marauder to 15 and then get ready to lol dragoon on your last day.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hit level 30.
Got a chocobo.

How do I get my chocobo to show up so I can ride it though? Clicking the chocobo head icon in my hot bar doesn't seem to do anything.
Also, someone mentioned choosing a job when I hit level 30... how does that work?

Your Chocobo should appear under "Mount Guide" in the main menu. I'd recommend dragging it into your hotbar where you keep teleport and such. Just hit it to ride.

Allard

Is there a rough idea of when 4.0 will come out?

They claim to be 'ahead' or on time (in comparison to Heavensward release timing) as of like 4-5 months ago. We know 3.5 is likely going to come out in January/February if they follow 3/4 month wait time between major patches, they have hinted at a 3.55, the real question is whether they will do 2 additional story patches like at the end of 2.5. My guess April-June 2017.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm currently a Lancer... let's say that I switch to a Marauder and go back to level 1, then grind to level 15 and become a dragoon and again go back to level 1. Will I still be able to continue the story since I was originally level 30, or will I have to level all the way back up to 30 to continue?

I'm currently a Lancer... let's say that I switch to a Marauder and go back to level 1, then grind to level 15 and become a dragoon and again go back to level 1. Will I still be able to continue the story since I was originally level 30, or will I have to level all the way back up to 30 to continue?
You don't have to level up DRG to 30, job levels are the same as class levels so you'll just go on with your LNC XP

Celcius

°Temp. member
You don't have to level up DRG to 30, job levels are the same as class levels so you'll just go on with your LNC XP

Awesome, thanks!
Also, I know that once my 14 day free trial ends then I have 90 days to purchase the game in order to keep my character intact... Once I purchase the game, if my 30 free days end and then I don't play for a year, would my character still be there or only if I pay for a subscription?
Finally, I heard that once you purchase the game you get an item to change your character appearance if you want (once), but do you also get an item to change your name if you want?

suzu

Awesome, thanks!
Also, I know that once my 14 day free trial ends then I have 90 days to purchase the game in order to keep my character intact... Once I purchase the game, if my 30 free days end and then I don't play for a year, would my character still be there or only if I pay for a subscription?
Finally, I heard that once you purchase the game you get an item to change your character appearance if you want (once), but do you also get an item to change your name if you want?

Your character will still be there after the 30 free days.

The name change service costs $10.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Awesome, thanks!
They won't delete your character if you bought the game no matter how long you become inactive.

No free name changes, they do sell them though for $10.

If you buy the game make sure you get a referral code from someone in this thread during your free 30 days. You wont be able to input one after you pay for your first month and with it you'll get an item that will give you a boost on lving alt classes.

For the upcoming job changes I hope they change PLD's Royal Authority to something else, at the very least provide less incentive to use it over Rage of Halone because the animation is immensely unsatisfying and the feedback on it is completely fucked.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Thanks guys. Just got my marauder to lv 11 so will continue the grind to lv 15 tomorrow and then finally make the switch to dragoon.
I feel like a lumberjack totin' this axe around!

For anyone actually wanting to level and play a tank I'd recommend Warrior.

This is coming from someone who's mostly played PLD, just play Warrior.

Meaty animations, stacks, and the smoothest stance transitions out of the three available tanks.

Hey, that healer that's bad at the 2nd and 4th boss in Weeping City... That's me.

I wish it wasn't, but somehow I always miss the zombie mechanic and penetration. I wish I could make those more obvious some how.

Ken

Hey, that healer that's bad at the 2nd and 4th boss in Weeping City... That's me.

I wish it wasn't, but somehow I always miss the zombie mechanic and penetration. I wish I could make those more obvious some how.

Focus target? He kinda doesn't do anything during the really long cast so that should be noticeable too as a healer?

Focus target? He kinda doesn't do anything during the really long cast so that should be noticeable too as a healer?
I use focus target but I need to see if I can make it bigger. What happens is by time I notice Mega-Death is being cast, the puddles are gone. Maybe in the second half I'll concentrate on always having a stack just in case and not worry about when it's actually being cast.

I'll post a pic of my layout tomorrow. I think I have my party list too low and that's why I miss things a lot, because i'm concentrating on the list.

Squishy3

I use focus target but I need to see if I can make it bigger. What happens is by time I notice Mega-Death is being cast, the puddles are gone. Maybe in the second half I'll concentrate on always having a stack just in case and not worry about when it's actually being cast.

I'll post a pic of my layout tomorrow. I think I have my party list too low and that's why I miss things a lot, because i'm concentrating on the list.
An easy way to remember is after the 3 adds spawn (The succubus and whatever the other two are) are the only times you need to be standing in the puddles, and IIRC they only go active when he's casting mega death. So anytime the puddles spawn after the 3 adds just go stand in one (and remember to make sure it's only one) while you're in heal range.

As for Calo, you're at the mercy of people paying attention to what side the blade is on and avoiding the other things they need to avoid. Pretty sure nearly everything in that fight as avoidable if you aren't the MT.

Ataxia

For anyone actually wanting to level and play a tank I'd recommend Warrior.

This is coming from someone who's mostly played PLD, just play Warrior.

Meaty animations, stacks, and the smoothest stance transitions out of the three available tanks.
Let's not kid ourselves though. People like Warrior because of the DPS. But it still feels like the least tank, tank job in the game. At least to me. Plus there's the fact that you're almost always gonna be an off-tank which is kinda boring if you're looking to actually be up in front directing fights.

I'd argue PLD or DRK are the better places to start (though latter is complicated and busy so probably not).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Let's not kid ourselves though. People like Warrior because of the DPS. But it still feels like the least tank, tank job in the game.

WAR can tank anything the other two can tank, and sometimes better. It's not just DPS. It's mitigation, self-sustain and utility. They have it all. Yeah, they don't get to invuln themselves, but it not being a tanky tank is simply not correct.

aceface

Move focus target to be right next to your party list since that's the general area you'll be looking at a lot.

Arizato

Tried to make a thread about this on reddit, but it didn't go anywhere. Anyone that knows a good story youtube channel that recaps the story nicely up to 3.2 or 3.3?

I haven't really been paying attention to the story since 3.0 and now I want to be up to speed before 3.4.

Wilsongt

Tried to make a thread about this on reddit, but it didn't go anywhere. Anyone that knows a good story youtube channel that recaps the story nicely up to 3.2 or 3.3?

I haven't really been paying attention to the story since 3.0 and now I want to be up to speed before 3.4.

You can review cutscenes in the Inn or in a FC house if someone has crafted the item.

Dargor

Hello people, been playing the free trial like you guys suggested and I'm having fun.

Played a little bit with a gladiator, was completely fooled by the description text and thought it was a dps class that used swords and shields, but its a tank lol, so I took that opportunity to delete my character and make another. I know you don't really need too cuz you can change jobs freely, but I had some stuff I wanted to try and I only had one char space.

Now I'm playing with a miqo'te lancer cuz it was the one that looked the coolest with end game gear. (From the classes that were already open, defintely gonna make a Dark Knight when its possible.)

Just a little question, does the fighting gets faster later on? I'm fiding it to be really slow, not that thats a bad thing. Just wondering if it picks up once you get more skills.

I'm already thinking about investing on the base game and give it a real chance.

Hello people, been playing the free trial like you guys suggested and I'm having fun.

Played a little bit with a gladiator, was completely fooled by the description text and thought it was a dps class that used swords and shields, but its a tank lol, so I took that opportunity to delete my character and make another. I know you don't really need too cuz you can change jobs freely, but I had some stuff I wanted to try and I only had one char space.

Now I'm playing with a miqo'te lancer cuz it was the one that looked the coolest with end game gear. (From the classes that were already open, defintely gonna make a Dark Knight when its possible.)

Just a little question, does the fighting gets faster later on? I'm fiding it to be really slow, not that thats a bad thing. Just wondering if it picks up once you get more skills.

Your combat options are pretty limited at the very beginning, but as you level up and gain more abilities you do find yourself with more and more to do. Once you start dealing with later dungeon bosses and trials, with unique attack patterns and unique mechanics being thrown at you in addition to your normal damage routine, you won't be feeling like combat is slow.

Dargor

Your combat options are pretty limited at the very beginning, but as you level up and gain more abilities you do find yourself with more and more to do. Once you start dealing with later dungeon bosses and trials, with unique attack patterns and unique mechanics being thrown at you in addition to your normal damage routine, you won't be feeling like combat is slow.

Really hope so, cuz right now, I can only use an offensive skill once every 2.5 secs. Thats quite a long time IMHO.

Knowing that later on things get more frantic really solidifies my intent on buying the game. :)

Valor

Played a little bit with a gladiator, was completely fooled by the description text and thought it was a dps class that used swords and shields, but its a tank lol

... defintely gonna make a Dark Knight when its possible.
I uh. I feel I should tell you that Dark Knight is also a tank.

Really hope so, cuz right now, I can only use an offensive skill once every 2.5 secs. Thats quite a long time IMHO.

Knowing that later on things get more frantic really solidifies my intent on buying the game. :)
The one attack every 2.5 seconds doesn't change in terms of battle speed. Some classes like Monk and Ninja can attack faster than 2.5 seconds more regularly, but it never really gets faster in terms of that.

However classes do gain attacks and abilities that are not tied to the 2.5s cooldown of your main attacks. So there are basically two forms of offensive abilities. Ones that are tied to and share that 2.5 second Global Cooldown and abilities that have their own individual cooldown. So like for Lancer when you get Leg Sweep you can use it between your uses of your regular attacks. So there will eventually be more buttons to press more often and fights will get hectic with movement and AoE attacks being dropped by bosses so you have to worry about doing your damage and dodging incoming damage at the same time. So yeah, it gets more hectic later on.

Dargor

I uh. I feel I should tell you that Dark Knight is also a tank.

The one attack every 2.5 seconds doesn't change in terms of battle speed. Some classes like Monk and Ninja can attack faster than 2.5 seconds more regularly, but it never really gets faster in terms of that.

However classes do gain attacks and abilities that are not tied to the 2.5s cooldown of your main attacks. So there are basically two forms of offensive abilities. Ones that are tied to and share that 2.5 second Global Cooldown and abilities that have their own individual cooldown. So like for Lancer when you get Leg Sweep you can use it between your uses of your regular attacks. So there will eventually be more buttons to press more often and fights will get hectic with movement and AoE attacks being dropped by bosses so you have to worry about doing your damage and dodging incoming damage at the same time. So yeah, it gets more hectic later on.

Wut? Is every cool looking melee class in this game tanks? (except lancer)

Thats really a bummer.

But its great to hear about getting abilities that aren't tied to GCD. And having more movement duting fights is also great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom