• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Man, do they have any plans to add a pure dps melee class? Besides DRG and Monk?

Ninja is pretty much a pure melee as well- raiton has range but 90% of the time you'll be using it from point blank. Some of its daggers are more like shortswords as well if you wanted a blade class.

Allard

That still sounds like the dumbest 90s name ever if true but I can totatlly see it happening. Heavensward sounds classy, StormBlood sounds like a fighting game/mobile games.

Blood probably means hereditary or royalty in this context (assuming it is the expansion title) as I doubt its meant to mean Gore/war or 'edgy'. Be curious what the name of the royal line is for Ala Mhigo or maybe that is what the Ala Mhigans call themselves, those born of the storm, stormblood. (or it could be something new).

Dargor

So I made this dps class have the highest defense after warrior. Praise the lord of loljumps.

lol

Ninja is pretty much a pure melee as well- raiton has range but 90% of the time you'll be using it from point blank. Some of its daggers are more like shortswords as well if you wanted a blade class.

Ninjas aren't really my style. I preffer the more upfront melee way, you know? Sword, hammer or axe.

This time I had to settle for a spear, but thats ok. Thats for dps, of course.

For tanking I really like the sword and shield aesthetics, but I can also enjoy the two handed weapons kind of tanking, so I will be playing a tank later on, when I learn how to play properly.

But thanks for the heads up, cuz who knows, since this game has no restrictions on classes, perharps I'll make a ninja and see how fun they are too.

I'd rather play a caster over a melee. Got my BLM to 60 tonight. Really satisfying

Every time I start a new game, I always go for the melee classes, they are generally the easier to play, so it helps easing in the gameplay loop of a new game.

I tend to stick with them for my mains, but once I feel I got most of the game's important aspects down, I start playing with the ranged classes, who on the other hand, tend to have more complex mechanics.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Stormblood sounds like a WoW NPC tbh.
anytime someone mentions it in the next expansion, my mind will always go to:
maxresdefault.jpg

Thorgal

Hello people, been playing the free trial like you guys suggested and I'm having fun.

Played a little bit with a gladiator, was completely fooled by the description text and thought it was a dps class that used swords and shields, but its a tank lol, so I took that opportunity to delete my character and make another. I know you don't really need too cuz you can change jobs freely, but I had some stuff I wanted to try and I only had one char space.

Now I'm playing with a miqo'te lancer cuz it was the one that looked the coolest with end game gear. (From the classes that were already open, defintely gonna make a Dark Knight when its possible.)

Just a little question, does the fighting gets faster later on? I'm fiding it to be really slow, not that thats a bad thing. Just wondering if it picks up once you get more skills.

I'm already thinking about investing on the base game and give it a real chance.

if you want a peek , this is what Lancer/draggoon play looks like at 60 ( and no ,it is not a dragoon tanking the floor :p ) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCQRvqFRy1I

Sorian

Banned
lol

Ninjas aren't really my style. I preffer the more upfront melee way, you know? Sword, hammer or axe.

This time I had to settle for a spear, but thats ok. Thats for dps, of course.

For tanking I really like the sword and shield aesthetics, but I can also enjoy the two handed weapons kind of tanking, so I will be playing a tank later on, when I learn how to play properly.

But thanks for the heads up, cuz who knows, since this game has no restrictions on classes, perharps I'll make a ninja and see how fun they are too.

Every time I start a new game, I always go for the melee classes, they are generally the easier to play, so it helps easing in the gameplay loop of a new game.

I tend to stick with them for my mains, but once I feel I got most of the game's important aspects down, I start playing with the ranged classes, who on the other hand, tend to have more complex mechanics.

Weird, I always consider ranged to be easier for learning in MMOs. Melee automatically deal with more mechanics just due to proximity to the bosses. Ninja does meet your requirements perfectly, they are dagger classes and play exactly the same as DRG and MNK (every class has it's own quirks about it which provides the difference but underlying play style is the same).

As for more melee classes, well new expansion will be announced in a month, they will probably announce Samurai first which, bad news now, will be a tank but more classes will likely follow.

Weird, I always consider ranged to be easier for learning in MMOs. Melee automatically deal with more mechanics just due to proximity to the bosses. Ninja does meet your requirements perfectly, they are dagger classes and play exactly the same as DRG and MNK (every class has it's own quirks about it which provides the difference but underlying play style is the same).

As for more melee classes, well new expansion will be announced in a month, they will probably announce Samurai first which, bad news now, will be a tank but more classes will likely follow.

Pretty sure Potato Master is going to be the first new class revealed.

Demoskinos

I'll keep dreaming my silly dreams that they will add Red Mage. Someday... Someday.... I just want a new ranged magic dps. =| We've got SMN and BLM at that is it. :(

Dargor

if you want a peek , this is what Lancer/draggoon play looks like at 60 ( and no ,it is not a dragoon tanking the floor :p ) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCQRvqFRy1I

lol it certainly looks like theres alot of stuff you can do.

But are all those hotkeys battle skills? Seemed like there were way too many o_O, reminded me of playing a war in WoW some years ago lol.

Well, everyone have their own skill set :), but I always felt that ranged classes had more going on for them, simply because it would get boring fast if you had to only push buttons while keeping a distance.

And I will definitely give ninjas a try, but seriously, if they make Samurais tanks, yeesh!

I'll keep dreaming my silly dreams that they will add Red Mage. Someday... Someday.... I just want a new ranged magic dps. =| We've got SMN and BLM at that is it. :(
I'd hope RDM was melee, just to differentiate it from the others.

Same for DNC, give me a true melee support instead of whatever NIN is

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Red Mage's entire shtick that it does melee at least as well as magic (which may be 'very poorly' depending on the game, but still). Then again there's nothing stopping them changing it.

creid

lol it certainly looks like theres alot of stuff you can do.

But are all those hotkeys battle skills? Seemed like there were way too many o_O, reminded me of playing a war in WoW some years ago lol.
A lot of the stuff they have on screen are only used rarely. The skills are not too hard to get a handle on since they introduce them one at a time.

Celcius

°Temp. member
First I was a Lancer. I used the pole-arms to best many a foe.
Then I was a Marauder, rampaging wherever I went with axe in hand.
Then my friends... then I became a Dragoon!

Sorian

Banned

I'd be extremely surprised if one of the new classes isn't a magic dps (purposely vague because I could see yoship going bonkers and doing a magic melee).

Okay, so RE: Forgall, I realized tonight that you have to be in the puddle when the puddle explodes. Stepping into it and out of it is not enough... I didn't die tonight :D

yaffi

I use focus target but I need to see if I can make it bigger. What happens is by time I notice Mega-Death is being cast, the puddles are gone. Maybe in the second half I'll concentrate on always having a stack just in case and not worry about when it's actually being cast.

I'll post a pic of my layout tomorrow. I think I have my party list too low and that's why I miss things a lot, because i'm concentrating on the list.

Get into the puddles asap. The debuff only gets applied shortly before they disappear. Getting into the puddles when Mega Death starts casting is too late, like you said.

I wonder what would happen if they created more weapon combo's for melee in 4.0.

By that I'm not talking about adding more weaponskills, but creating new combo paths, like Riot Blade > Rage of Halone > Savage Blade or Royal Authority > Fast Blade > Goring Blade?

It would be an easy way to add something new without having to add more buttons although we'll probably be getting new buttons anyway with the level cap increase.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what would happen if they created more weapon combo's for melee in 4.0.

By that I'm not talking about adding more weaponskills, but creating new combo paths, like Riot Blade > Rage of Halone > Savage Blade or Royal Authority > Fast Blade > Goring Blade?

It would be an easy way to add something new without having to add more buttons although we'll probably be getting new buttons anyway with the level cap increase.

At some point though why have combo paths at all? You wouldn't bother using savage blade- just riot-> rage over and over in that particularly case.

At some point though why have combo paths at all? You wouldn't bother using savage blade- just riot-> rage over and over in that particularly case.

I forgot to mention that these new combo paths would have different effects. So Riot would be the uncomboed version, then Rage would do something different than what it does at the end of a Fast > Savage > Rage and Savage Blade in this new combo would do something different than if it were used in a Fast > Savage > Rage/Royal combo.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
World transfer application gets stuck, I can't log in and SE support doesn't know what the hell went wrong.

I broke the game. :/

WolvenOne

Well, I'm still not sure I'm going to have enough free-time to justify coming back. I mean, I'd like to come back, if only to sight see and play through the new MSQ. Still, I worry about having enough free time to even cap tomes, let alone to do the things I really enjoyed. (Farming primals, for example.)

#indecision2016

Ken

Well, I'm still not sure I'm going to have enough free-time to justify coming back. I mean, I'd like to come back, if only to sight see and play through the new MSQ. Still, I worry about having enough free time to even cap tomes, let alone to do the things I really enjoyed. (Farming primals, for example.)

#indecision2016

Just wait for those free 72 hour game time events.

--

Yoshida:"if you have BiS in 3.2, you shld be able to clr turn 1-2(3) easily. 3.4 is not tuned for world firsts, so it shld only take 5 days"

https://twitter.com/ArtharsFF14/status/777757703988846592

wondrous tails will save the game

Thorgal

someone made me aware of an interesting question that a raid group puts on their application form .

the question is open ended .

it goes like this :

you approach a boss .

the boss has 3 Adds ( A, B and C) .

You know nothing about the fight or what the boss will do except for this fact :

if you kill ad A it will increase your DPS for a certain amount of time .

If you kill Ad B you will take less damage for a certain amount of time .

If you kill ad C you will get increase healing for a certain amount of time .

So DPS buff, tank buff or Healing buff .

Which ad do you kill first and why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom