• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like moogles too! I thought the Churning Mists moogle quests complaints were just typical internet hyperbolic whining. They couldn't be that bad.

Until I actually got there. Fuck! Turns out that clawing your eyes out is a perfectly rational response.

I like moogles too! I thought the Churning Mists moogle quests complaints were just typical internet hyperbolic whining. They couldn't be that bad.

Until I actually got there. Fuck! Turns out that clawing your eyes out is a perfectly rational response.

I didn't do the moogle quests until after I beat Heavensward, to unlock their beast tribe. Since I had a store of post-50 experience from the level 50 pre-HW quests I had no need to grind or do sidequests to get through the HW story. So maybe doing in it at the point where the main story unlocks them made them feel worse, but I enjoyed going through them on their own. The moogles of the Churning Mists are so adorably pathetic.

duckroll

Thanks to a few friendly folks hanging out in the GAF FC chat, I cleared Ifrit! Yay! I'm loving the presentation of the game soooo much. That cutscene between Nero and Livia at the end of Ifrit is the sort of thing I play JRPGs for. Omgggggg.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I didn't do the moogle quests until after I beat Heavensward, to unlock their beast tribe. Since I had a store of post-50 experience from the level 50 pre-HW quests I had no need to grind or do sidequests to get through the HW story. So maybe doing in it at the point where the main story unlocks them made them feel worse, but I enjoyed going through them on their own. The moogles of the Churning Mists are so adorably pathetic.
It might have been changed now to make things easier on newer players but you have to understand that people hated the Moogle Side Quests because they were a requirement to unlock flight in that area so unless you were following a guide to tell you which ones those were it meant that you had to do them all.

It also didn't help all that all the quests boiled down to "I'm to lazy to do anything for myself so go do it for me kupo" so that Capenter NPC that you hear complaining and whining about the Moogles at the start of the Moogle Beast tribe quest is actually an embodiment of how the players feelt about the Moogles back in 3.0

14 minutes wait for an Expert Roulette on tank. Ded gaem!
Or it might be that more players are using Tanks now.

ebil

It might have been changed now to make things easier on newer players but you have to understand that people hated the Moogle Side Quests because they were a requirement to unlock flight in that area so unless you were following a guide to tell you which ones those were it meant that you had to do them all.

It also didn't help all that all the quests boiled down to "I'm to lazy to do anything for myself so go do it for me kupo" so that Capenter NPC that you hear complaining and whining about the Moogles at the start of the Moogle Beast tribe quest is actually an embodiment of how the players feelt about the Moogles back in 3.0

Or it might be that more players are using Tanks now.
Nah, DF was actually lying, it was short-ish.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Nah, DF was actually lying, it was short-ish.
I would like to know the metrics in which DF pulls those numbers from because as far as I know DF has always lied about those times. The only time it was closed to being correct is when it's says "Less than 5m" or "More than 30m" all other times are never accurate.

Rynam

God, I hate groups that start fights while I still watch the cutscene and then blame me after they die. Had a group like that yesterday in the Vault.

I would like to know the metrics in which DF pulls those numbers from because as far as I know DF has always lied about those times. The only time it was closed to being correct is when it's says "Less than 5m" or "More than 30m" all other times are never accurate.
A11S completion/incomplete as DPS

Less than 5 min

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure

I got it, they could call the new DK mode "Hollow mode".
Like Ferdiad Hollow and Diabolos Hollow in Dun Scaith. Maybe in the new job quest they learn to draw power from the void or something too. To be honest I really don't care what lore they create to justify just give me that SSJ mode.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

As an ESO vet, any complaints about queue times in XIV seem a bit quaint to me, since in ESO it's literally impossible to get into a dungeon as DPS via the dungeon finder in without waiting at least an hour, usually more.

Like imagine having to wait an hour to get into Tam-Tara or Copperbell.

ebil

To be fair, nobody was complaining about queue length, we're merely wondering about the estimated time feature.

Queue times for DPS (at least when people actually are playing the game) are pretty reasonable for MMO standards.

Robin64

Thanks to a few friendly folks hanging out in the GAF FC chat, I cleared Ifrit! Yay! I'm loving the presentation of the game soooo much. That cutscene between Nero and Livia at the end of Ifrit is the sort of thing I play JRPGs for. Omgggggg.

Seriously. It's that single-player JRPG polish that keeps me hooked to this game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
To be fair, nobody was complaining about queue length, we're merely wondering about the estimated time feature.

Queue times for DPS (at least when people actually are playing the game) are pretty reasonable for MMO standards.

Oh no no, I know nobody was complaining. The quote was about the duty finder in general so I kinda used that to segue into my post. On second thought I probably didn't need the quote. Sorry for any confusion!

Squishy3

ARR is pretty inconsistent in its pacing (it nails the big moments pretty well, though) but Heavensward completely eliminates any of the pacing problems that ARR had. So you have that to look forward to.

Make sure you get help from the FC to run the two level 50 story dungeons that you unlock at the end of the story.

Edzi

Does Heavensward ever drop below $10? Thinking of buying it from Amazon now even though I haven't beaten the main game yet.

ebil

Oh no no, I know nobody was complaining. The quote was about the duty finder in general so I kinda used that to segue into my post. On second thought I probably didn't need the quote. Sorry for any confusion!
Ah, gotcha. Wasn't anything to worry about anyway!

TL;DR: people who are not speedrun min-maxing shouldn't pay that much attention to which job is good or bad or FotM, but they do anyway. I don't agree with his point that people don't care as much in other MMOs. In my experience it's much worse in at least WoW (and dare I mention the FF11 days of trying to play Puppetmaster?), but it's true that the trickle-down effect is very strong for no real reason.

Are people really being excluded because they're playing a "bad" job right now? In my experience people have been pretty chill regarding PF comps but I tend to ignore the PFs that scream "elitist prick" altogether.

Are people really being excluded because they're playing a "bad" job right now? In my experience people have been pretty chill regarding PF comps but I tend to ignore the PFs that scream "elitist prick" altogether.
As far as PUGs are concerned, not really. Most I've seen is some Zurvex snark against MNKs but not really excluding them. Static recruitment is another story though, and I've seen quite a few weekly clears for A11/12 not accepting certain jobs.

iammeiam

The biggest complaint I've seen is that WHM/PLD/MNK/BLM/SMN is not currently a real selling point for joining a static, and so the barrier to entry on those jobs is higher as a bad DRG will still provide Disembowel and Litany while a bad monk is just dead weight. I think there's always been some job in that position, though, so it's not new. FFLogs' rise to popularity over the course of HW has made this a slightly bigger issue, since it's now relatively quick work to get basic parses on most people who run content.

There's always the weird midcore tier that thinks if they're really specific about group comp the boss will just keel over in shock when they zone in, or whatever, but I still haven't seen anything currently that beats the "NO PHYSICAL RANGED ALLOWED" PFs that showed up for Bismarck early in HW.

Pachimari

I think I'm just gonna farm exp in the PotD from lvl 37 > 46, so I won't have to do it again until I hit 46. Which floors should I do? Should I try and clear the floors up to 60 or should I stay doing floors 1-20?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I heard 50-60 is the best for grind but I prefer 50-100.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
the only bit of XP for your character that comes out of POTD, is the large amount of XP you receive at the end of whatever 10 level run you finish (which you have to beat the boss).

Think it might be tied into the level of your base character, but I've seen it go between 200k and 500k xp.

If you retrieve your Aetherpool weapons after hitting floor 50, does your gear start over in terms of level? Or do you continue to strengthen the same gear?

If you retrieve your Aetherpool weapons after hitting floor 50, does your gear start over in terms of level? Or do you continue to strengthen the same gear?
The former, sorta. Aetherpool levels are basically a currency so if you get a Padjali weapon they're reduced by 30 and if you get a Kinna weapon they're reduced by 60

And the game just gets better. :D

Squishy3

only 2 more birds to go. probably gonna focus on nidhogg since sophia's getting buffed in 3.55 but fuck why are lootmaster parties so prevalent now

Luigi87

Was considering getting back into this and buying Heavensward. Played it over a year ago, but stopped once I unlocked Dragoon (none of my friends were playing).

... I can't remember the password to my Square-Enix account, nor do I have access to that email anymore. Their support is closed for President's Day, and the sale ends soon... Maybe I should just start over x_x

I kind of want them to do something about DRK's defensive CD and stance. I dislike how they're so similar to Paladins. Warrior has pretty unique stuff, every defensive CD seems to do something kind of different and some can be used for multiple purposes. Like Vengeance/Raw Intuition for building stacks for more Fell Cleavening, Equilibrium for restoring HP or restoring TP.

If they're going to stress job identity and specfically make the 3 tanks and healers stand out from each other that's one thing I'd like to see them touch among other things.

Ah, gotcha. Wasn't anything to worry about anyway!

TL;DR: people who are not speedrun min-maxing shouldn't pay that much attention to which job is good or bad or FotM, but they do anyway. I don't agree with his point that people don't care as much in other MMOs. In my experience it's much worse in at least WoW (and dare I mention the FF11 days of trying to play Puppetmaster?), but it's true that the trickle-down effect is very strong for no real reason.

I mostly see it on forums/reddit. Where the info is taken out of context where it's stated or implied that they are not functional in other aspects of the game's content.

I remember something similar although I saw this more in game when Dragoon had a bad rep resulting in consistent mentions of "LOLDRG" or Dragoons face tanking in general where people would specifically call out Dragoon players for dying but not mentioning when players of other jobs also died in the same instance.

I wasn't around for the early Warrior stuff which was apparently worse.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sir. Please share your wisdom.

Teach us!

I'm using a bunch of resources right now:
General overview of crafting in HW: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/4joaxt/so_you_want_to_be_a_master_crafter_heavensward/

Leveling recommendations for individual DoH/DoL: http://www.ffxivguild.com/category/disciples-of-hand/#

In-depth crafting guide: http://ffxivrealm.com/xz-articles/ff14-advanced-crafting-guide-by-caimie-tsukino.39/

It's a lot to read through and you don't need to grok all of it immediately but it's a good way to get started. The macros I kind of just figured out on my own after finding some rotations that had 100% chance of success with HQ potential and thus could be automated with a macro.

BLCKATK

From my experience, yes, it can happen from time to time. I'm on the Aether data center, every once and awhile you'll see a Zurvan EX farm that omits PLD, or requires an AST. I've seen BLM/SMN and MNK blocked out from A9s/A10s runs. It's not completely rampant, but it's definitely there.

As a career tank I'm definitely hurting here. I changed from WAR in 2.3-2.5 to PLD for 3.0 and I've never regretted it more honestly. My decision was based on PLD receiving a damage combo and defensive utility, I was thinking that the game would be designed with those in mind since they were adding them. I also wanted to be in the Main Tank role more often since I was previously a static leader and had to do all the calls, I found that difficult to do while off-tanking. Obviously as we know now, I couldn't have been more wrong about the design decisions in Gordias, where I just ended up returning to WAR and was forced to be in the OT role. Since then I haven't had the time to raid, I've been focusing on running my Free Company, and that has been my main focus.

I took a break for a bit, and now I'm back, clearing the current content, and I honestly feel the pressure of abandoning PLD. I have my 270 relic on it, and my tanks are relatively geared, but I offer more to my party when I'm WAR. It really is just busted. The core members of my FC are players that have been playing the game for some time, but either never had an interest in extremes or raiding till recently or had decided they didn't want to put in the work to build the skill. Now people are interested with Creator being easier, so we've been trying our hand at it. But I'm always WAR now. I need to make up for the damage that people can't do, I need to provide mitigation for AoEs that PLD can't do consistently, I need to have more consistent magic mitigation that PLD just doesn't have. I could go PLD, but that means we're in the fight longer. With groups that are struggling to stay alive, learn the fight, and put out respectable numbers, if you just play the meta jobs it makes it just that much easier.

That went on longer then I wanted, but I miss playing my main. Wish I didn't feel bad about bringing a PLD to a group, but I'm probably overthinking it.

iammeiam

That went on longer then I wanted, but I miss playing my main. Wish I didn't feel bad about bringing a PLD to a group, but I'm probably overthinking it.

This is sort of a separate issue, though, in that PLD vs WAR isn't really the decision point and wasn't in ARR either; the PLD stigma now isn't vs WAR, where WAR is essentially mandatory and PLD/DRK is treated like double-PLD in ARR, but PLD vs DRK because they compete for the same role which is something PLD didn't have to worry about in ARR.

Leveling the current Meta Main Tank in DRK would still lead to you feeling pressured to WAR if nobody else had WAR leveled, but that's more on WAR being OP than PLD's current undertuning.

BLCKATK

This is sort of a separate issue, though, in that PLD vs WAR isn't really the decision point and wasn't in ARR either; the PLD stigma now isn't vs WAR, where WAR is essentially mandatory and PLD/DRK is treated like double-PLD in ARR, but PLD vs DRK because they compete for the same role which is something PLD didn't have to worry about in ARR.

Leveling the current Meta Main Tank in DRK would still lead to you feeling pressured to WAR if nobody else had WAR leveled, but that's more on WAR being OP than PLD's current undertuning.

Yeah, you're right. I play DRK as well and feel the pressure there to always play it. The only reason I play WAR so often is because the main extreme to farm right now, Zurvan, is easily solo-tankable, and it's much better if the solo-tank is a WAR. My main dealing with the PLD vs. WAR argument, though the controversy around it is relatively small compared to the other glaring issues, is honest fact that WAR is a better main tank than PLD is. It deals more damage while tanking, it's more survivable when outside of Tank stance, it's cooldowns are better designed and more versatile. My honest opinion is that if limit break penalty wasn't a thing people would run double WAR. It's not like DRK has great utility, you bring it because it deals more damage than PLD, has better magical mitigation for itself, and puts on INT down so you don't need a MNK. It's good (more offensive oriented, which is what players want) but I wouldn't call it great.

I think for me as someone who doesn't currently have a static, and I mainly have to rely on PUGs or solo-tank fights, WAR being OP sticks out more as a sore thumb and is in the forefront of my criticisms on tanking. So I may be a little too aggressive on pushing it into discussion.

So uh, do people think that having PLD as a "physical tank" and DRK as a "magic tank" has worked out well so far?

It sounds good in writing but in the end it did not work out. I think the raid design team should have considered the fact that they chose to make a lot of different tank busters pure magic damage, which elevates jobs that have either magical mitigation or straight-up general mitigation, over those that guarantee blocks or parries. The dev team has also done a great job of reducing the utility of blocking since final coil. I remember PLD being able to get some really nice block strength that made Bulwark a more desirable cooldown, now blocking is more dumbed down than ever. I really think they need to consider making Bulwark give the PLD the ability to block magical damage for a period of time. If they are going to design the fights around taking these big, usually magic, damage abilities, they need to tweak PLD to adjust. OR start introducing some new types of things to throw at tanks. Why not both?

ebil

I kind of want them to do something about DRK's defensive CD and stance. I dislike how they're so similar to Paladins. Warrior has pretty unique stuff, every defensive CD seems to do something kind of different and some can be used for multiple purposes. Like Vengeance/Raw Intuition for building stacks for more Fell Cleavening, Equilibrium for restoring HP or restoring TP.

If they're going to stress job identity and specfically make the 3 tanks and healers stand out from each other that's one thing I'd like to see them touch among other things.

I mostly see it on forums/reddit. Where the info is taken out of context where it's stated or implied that they are not functional in other aspects of the game's content.

I remember something similar although I saw this more in game when Dragoon had a bad rep resulting in consistent mentions of "LOLDRG" or Dragoons face tanking in general where people would specifically call out Dragoon players for dying but not mentioning when players of other jobs also died in the same instance.

I wasn't around for the early Warrior stuff which was apparently worse.
Dragoon players dying and loldrg in general is a pretty old meme that was born in FF11, though. It never really was serious even though DRG had pretty glaring flaws during Final Coil, until their mdef was buffed.

2.0 WAR is in a league of its own, really. They were excluded from Titan HM because you only needed one tank and PLD was the safer defensive option by far, which says a lot about their switch in design philosophy. 2.0 WAR was bad from a survivability standpoint when everything from Titan and into Binding Coil used to hit like a truck and tank busters could oneshot a WAR pretty easily.

Then that's just my opinion, but the Official Forums and the FFXIV subreddit where everyone is a backseat hardcore raider parroting whatever better players say shouldn't be taken too seriously. Most of the players you will be interacting with ingame love PLDs and WHMs (they just love The Balance more, everyone loves The Balance) and are completely okay playing with a MNK.

So uh, do people think that having PLD as a "physical tank" and DRK as a "magic tank" has worked out well so far?
No, it's terrible design and should be ditched in 4.0. A magic tank can still tank physical damage but the "physical tank" is terrible whenever the hardest hitting stuff is magical, or versus bosses that only hit with magical abilities.

(and even though I love playing it, I also think that DRK in general is a badly designed job and that people are glossing over its own issues because it's been effective)

Squishy3

From my experience, yes, it can happen from time to time. I'm on the Aether data center, every once and awhile you'll see a Zurvan EX farm that omits PLD, or requires an AST.
It's funny because PLD is actually the best for solo tanking zurvan, due to Tyrfing being all physical (thus they can actually use bulwark against it) and Hallowed Ground Demon Claw. I mean, Living Dead isn't a problem there since nothing else is happening that'd lead to the DRK not being topped up, but still. PLD's probably the tankiest tank for that fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom