• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HunRevan

After seeing the trailer I had to buy Heavensward and a sub. I will make a new character. Is an Arcanist/scholar good choice for mostly solo play and later df?

kagamin

After seeing the trailer I had to buy Heavensward and a sub. I will make a new character. Is an Arcanist/scholar good choice for mostly solo play and later df?

Scholar has been real fun and I highly recommend it if you wanna go that route, just know Arcanist is kinda boring to play.

It's a pretty great job, just be aware if you make a scholar then you won't be able to make a summoner due to how the bonus point/job split system works for the Arcanist class.

Also if you do scholar, just be aware that you'll need to raise a Conjurer to level 15 as a requirement to get the job (and a necessity since you need some of the cross class abilities from them)

No, it's terrible design and should be ditched in 4.0. A magic tank can still tank physical damage but the "physical tank" is terrible whenever the hardest hitting stuff is magical, or versus bosses that only hit with magical abilities.

(and even though I love playing it, I also think that DRK in general is a badly designed job and that people are glossing over its own issues because it's been effective)

Nope, specially with Square's rising love for unmitigable damage. Designing tanks like that leads to the same slippery slope as making caster-specific mechanics, aka bring this job or die.

I wanted to see what other people think before saying anything but making a job shite in certain fights over others to that extent seems like bad design to me.

Physical and magical in this game for the most part is relegated to playstyle over actually having an effect on what you do.

By that I mean that elemental weakness for example doesn't matter to a Black Mage. You deal magic damage but the type of damage you do is more fluff than something you have to actually watch when you're hitting something outside of a few fringe examples I think (like Leviathan one part of his body is for physical attackers and the other part of his body is for magic attackers IIRC). You don't have to just use Fire magic on one guy and Ice magic on another.

Imagine if some bosses/raids/whatever were immune to a particular type of damage so some jobs couldn't do anything resulting in people slotting in other jobs. That's probably a more extreme case compared to what's going on with the tanks but the idea of making tanks ineffective in certain fights because of damage type really sucks when you're playing the tank that gets shafted.

Like as a PLD having your shield be completely useless in certain fights (SICKNESS MUST BE PURGED guy is one example I keep remembering, where Sheltron and Bulwark are completely useless abilities to use there because he only uses magic). Ideally how screwed you are should depend on how you use your job instead of being screwed from the start because of how things are designed.

Warrior doesn't seem to have this issue from what I can see so I don't see why the other two tanks should have this issue and I hope they take a look at it.

As an aside what are your concerns about Dark Knight? I haven't really read anything on what people's problems are with Dark Knight's kit because most of the tank discussion on how bad PLD is compared to DRK and how strong Warrior is.

HunRevan

I will try SCH then. As soon as I can make my character on the server I chose... Eariler I most played as a PLG and only tried a few jobs for a few levels. I want a fresh start now.

As an aside what are your concerns about Dark Knight? I haven't really read anything on what people's problems are with Dark Knight's kit because most of the tank discussion on how bad PLD is compared to DRK and how strong Warrior is.
As of right now, none, but DRK has a pretty flawed design that tries to make it a good MT and a good OT at the same time. The problem is - and basically the problem with adding another tank - if you make DRK OT as good as WAR OT, suddenly people are running DRK/DRK. If you make PLD a better MT in that situation, then WAR is just dead. So basically DRK existing warps tank balance because the only way you can have all 3 tanks being viable is if WAR is busted.

Same goes for AST.

Edzi

Lots of green sprouts running around these days. Seems the sales/Stormblood announcements have led to a big influx of players.

Don't forget returning players. I've only got about a months worth of playtime, so I'm still pretty much a beginner despite having lost the icon.

kagamin

Playing Scholar without swiftcast was difficult when people took a bunch of AOEs and died (I had to run POtD with THM), but I find most of the time I'm using it to get off my Shadow Flares faster to focus on shielding the tank.

ebil

People used to talk about it at length on launch before it became a mainstay, but DRK has a poorly designed overall kit. Or rather, its identity and internal synergy is poor.

What is DRK exactly? A magic tank? A parry tank? An evasion tank? A bit of everything? It has one extra CD for magic attacks and Delirium for Int down, is it enough for us to be calling it a "magic tank"?

It also has a parry cooldown (that for some esoteric reason is locked behind DRK's DPS stance rather than behind its tanking stance), that you can "empower" to give it an evasion bonus, which is counterproductive anyway since evasion and parry are mutually exclusive. It has a pretty potent blind AOE debuff. It has a debuff that procs on parries, a stun/DPS oGCD that can reset on parries, but you can't parry magical attacks anyway so it (ironically, if DRK is a magic tank) only procs on physical hits, and not on misses/dodges either. Its MP regen is fueled by being hit, which is why you usually don't want to be dodging all that much while it is active, and you don't want your WHM chain stunning either. The rest is basically PLD copy-pasta with dark flavor.

Honestly, DRK is just a mess of abilities that happens to perform well. I still like playing it because it has fun skills (plunge and the sole survivor minigame will never get old to me), I like Greatswords, and it feels pretty powerful but I don't think it's an elegantly designed job at all.

scy

My main dealing with the PLD vs. WAR argument, though the controversy around it is relatively small compared to the other glaring issues, is honest fact that WAR is a better main tank than PLD is.

I mean, this was the case back in the day too, just rarely used. PLD has never really been good at being a tank (outside of sustain tank era WAR) but it's by and large a function of how tanking has basically worked throughout the game. PLD is better at tanking now than they've ever been before, they're just still not equipped for it, it's just that the OT slot is really only done well by one tank.

As of right now, none, but DRK has a pretty flawed design that tries to make it a good MT and a good OT at the same time. The problem is - and basically the problem with adding another tank - if you make DRK OT as good as WAR OT, suddenly people are running DRK/DRK. If you make PLD a better MT in that situation, then WAR is just dead. So basically DRK existing warps tank balance because the only way you can have all 3 tanks being viable is if WAR is busted.

Yeah, no, if you're going to be willing to stack tanks like that you'd just WAR/WAR since both PLD and DRK are flawed tanks with respect to how the game functions.

Yeah, no, if you're going to be willing to stack tanks like that you'd just WAR/WAR since both PLD and DRK are flawed tanks with respect to how the game functions.
Even in a hyphotetical situation where DRK is as good as OT?

Besides, from what I've been told isn't cooldown alignment the only reason people don't really run WAR/WAR aside from Midas?

Edzi

So you guys talking about tanks has me curious as to which tank class I should continue leveling up. I've currently got gladiator and warrior at lvl 15.

scy

From what I've been told isn't cooldown timing the only reason people don't really run WAR/WAR aside from Midas?

This is the tier where cooldowns don't matter for the majority of the tank busters and those that do are usually invuln'd through (which would still sync better with WAR outside of fringe duration cases ala Zurvan). Most the relevant ones in A12S are >60s apart or 2m apart if you rotate tanks for them entirely, which lines up with WAR cooldowns the best really.

Edit: Also worth note, DRK/DRK (or PLD/PLD) as it currently stands would also face a pretty big threat issue.

Same goes for AST.

So pretty much they just need to fix PLD and DRK since Warrior doesn't seem to have any problems.

People used to talk about it at length on launch before it became a mainstay, but DRK has a poorly designed overall kit. Or rather, its identity and internal synergy is poor.

What is DRK exactly? A magic tank? A parry tank? An evasion tank? A bit of everything? It has one extra CD for magic attacks and Delirium for Int down, is it enough for us to be calling it a "magic tank"?

It also has a parry cooldown (that for some esoteric reason is locked behind DRK's DPS stance rather than behind its tanking stance), that you can "empower" to give it an evasion bonus, which is counterproductive anyway since evasion and parry are mutually exclusive. It has a pretty potent blind AOE debuff. It has a debuff that procs on parries, a stun/DPS oGCD that can reset on parries, but you can't parry magical attacks anyway so it (ironically, if DRK is a magic tank) only procs on physical hits, and not on misses/dodges either. Its MP regen is fueled by being hit, which is why you usually don't want to be dodging all that much while it is active, and you don't want your WHM chain stunning either. The rest is basically PLD copy-pasta with dark flavor.

Honestly, DRK is just a mess of abilities that happens to perform well. I still like playing it because it has fun skills (plunge and the sole survivor minigame will never get old to me), I like Greatswords, and it feels pretty powerful but I don't think it's an elegantly designed job at all.

When you put it all on the table like that yeah it looks like they just threw random abilities at the wall and it just happens to work out.

So you guys talking about tanks has me curious as to which tank class I should continue leveling up. I've currently got gladiator and warrior at lvl 15.

In terms of current fun factor I'd say Warrior. You might have fun with Dark Knight but you need to get to Heavensward first before you can access it and then you have to level it from 30-50 if you want to do new story content with it.

If you're going to play with Warrrior at least get Gladiator to level 22 so you can get Provoke. Then switch back to Warrior then play as normal and use Provoke as one of your cross class skills.

SkyOdin

Paladin is my favorite, because I like its toolbox. Between Cover, the best stun move in the game, an excellent silence move, easy AoE aggro gain, a solid heal spell, and the ability to go completely invincible, it has a lot of unique features. I don't enjoy having to keep ip with a complex rotation while my mind is occupied with paying attention to what I have to as a tank, so I appreciate the simplicity of the Paladin's attack rotation.

Warrior is also fun, since the rage mechanic is cool.

aceface

It's a pretty great job, just be aware if you make a scholar then you won't be able to make a summoner due to how the bonus point/job split system works for the Arcanist class.

Also if you do scholar, just be aware that you'll need to raise a Conjurer to level 15 as a requirement to get the job (and a necessity since you need some of the cross class abilities from them)

What is this, no, it's literally the opposite, when you level scholar to 60 you get a free lv 60 SMN (and vice versa). I main SCH but I play SMN all the time. The 30 stat points is barely a nerf and if you want you can reallocate those points as much as you want with really cheap item.

Squishy3

This is the tier where cooldowns don't matter for the majority of the tank busters and those that do are usually invuln'd through (which would still sync better with WAR outside of fringe duration cases ala Zurvan). Most the relevant ones in A12S are >60s apart or 2m apart if you rotate tanks for them entirely, which lines up with WAR cooldowns the best really.

Edit: Also worth note, DRK/DRK (or PLD/PLD) as it currently stands would also face a pretty big threat issue.
I wonder if they'll buff the aggro generation for Dark Arts Power Slash in Stormblood. As it is now it just isn't worth spending the MP on.

Luigi87

In spite of having no access to my account I bought Heavensward off of Squenix's site. Hoping tomorrow they may be able to get me access to my account.

Bowlie

Banned
Hi, everyone. First timer here but I have been playing the game for almost a month and just reached level 60 during the Great Gubal Library (that free jazz is by far my favorite theme) \o/

I saw someone mentioning wine and chesse above and yeah, that questline almost made me stop playing the game for a while to do other tings, and definitely made me want to punch those NPCs ;~

HW quests were generally better in design, though (HW spoilers)

it felt weird when the Ishgard plot took a hard break multiple times to go to Ul'dah and finish plot points left by ARR.
A dragon was coming to destroy the city, hundreds were gathering to bolster its defenses, and you went to the opposite side of the continent to hear what someone had to say about something (you didn't know what yet).
And given how rarely the Aetherytes are mentioned by NPCs, asking you to travel by foot, airship, chocobos, etc., I think you'd spend days to get to Ul'dah, do your things there, and go back to Ishgard.
It's like the Warrior of Light had no sense of urgency, lol.

All in all, the game is great, and I keep discovering new things to do in it. Beast Tribe quests, triple triad, Gold Saucer, Sightseeing, PotD, GC Squadron, glamours, Hildibrand quests... it's almost overwhelming :D

I think now that I'm 60 I'll try getting a Relic Weapon; I wonder how painful that will be.

I love the dark knight, but even at my level (58) it's a bloated mess. Evasion boosting skills that reduce parries we need. Multiple AOE snap damage skills that essentially do the exact same thing with minor visual differences. Balancing a constant mana drain for increased damage, why?

Don't get me started on the Dark Acts boosted stuff. Thank goodness for my Logitech G600 and shift/control modifiers. 36 skills available on the mouse helps, but it's not enough.

If I stick with tanking in the expansion, it's almost certain to be on my paladin. Unless Square does some massive overhauling on the abilities front, I'm okay sacrificing some effectiveness for a more laid back play style. I feel like I maintain better situational awareness with the reduced workload, and I'm not even close to bleeding edge content.

Me on June 20th: "SAM looking for tank/heals to queue carry me."

Omni

DRK is a bit of a mess... but I can't help but love it. So many oGCDs and abilities. Mana can be a pain during progression but even still

I'm just bored to tears playing PLD. War is nice but even that feels simple

DRK is a bit of a mess... but I can't help but love it. So many oGCDs and abilities. Mana can be a pain during progression but even still

I'm just bored to tears playing PLD. War is nice but even that feels simple

On DRK, it always feels like there's off cooldown skills I could be pressing to tank better. Controlled mashing.

On PLD, it always feels like I'm not doing enough in terms of active tanking, but it works. Slow and steady.

I'm a sucker for the sword and board aesthetic, so paladin has a clear advantage there.

My chocobo and I are total twinsies now
1p5eq4r.jpg

gkoBOFY.jpg

Rynam

There's an Item (The Keeper's Hymn or something like that) for 250 Grand Company Seals to reset the attribute Points.

duckroll

trash-tier is too generous

there has to be a tier below that

You know, for a company that has managed to launch two big FF MMOs successfully internationally, it's shocking how bad their online services are. PlayOnline was garbage, and Square Enix Accounts are web account relics from last century. WTF is wrong with them lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's more like FF fans have no standards or self respect and will accept anything to get their fix of chobobo dust.,

Kyoufu

You know, for a company that has managed to launch two big FF MMOs successfully internationally, it's shocking how bad their online services are. PlayOnline was garbage, and Square Enix Accounts are web account relics from last century. WTF is wrong with them lol.

The thing is, PlayOnline never locked me out of my FFXI account, but I still haven't been able to access my original FFXIV account because of their bullshit account system that is fundamentally broken at its core. To me, Square-Enix Account is a regression from PlayOnline and that shouldn't be possible on a scientific level, but it somehow happened.

Squishy3

I just think good web engineers don't exist in Japan, or at the very least aren't as common.

duckroll

The thing is, PlayOnline never locked me out of my FFXI account, but I still haven't been able to access my original FFXIV account because of their bullshit account system that is fundamentally broken at its core. To me, Square-Enix Account is a regression from PlayOnline and that shouldn't be possible on a scientific level, but it somehow happened.

Oh I totally agree that it's a regression. But they are two very different things. PlayOnline was conceived as a full online service, much like Steam/PSN/XBL. Comparing it to the standard on those, it was laughingly backwards and terrible. The backend was shit, the frontend was shit. There was no content. It was over-ambitious without any follow through.

On the other hand, the Square Enix Account system should be fundamentally simple. It's a standard online account.It's for you to tie your S-E products to, get newsletters, and access forums. In theory. In practice it's a sloppy international account system they have tried to hook into every game and service they have, without improving the backend and frontend (once again!), and the worst part is how there are multiple regional backends to it with databases that appear to not completely take to each other, making migration and simple setting changes impossible.

G
A
R
B
A
G
E

I just think good web engineers don't exist in Japan, or at the very least aren't as common.

Nah. They exist. They're all working on engineering lightning quick database management systems for mobile game efficiently. It's a killer industry. :p

suzu

What. ACN gives you both SCH and SMN. Those attribute points are honestly not a big deal. And you can always change your stats anytime with a cheapo item from your grand company anyway.

iammeiam

Wait is the second half of the MSQ coming next week or is that just the Diadem stuff?

Neither; 2/28 is 3.55 part a which we currently know contains the 275 relic step, Zhloe quests, the next Feast season/map/mode, Warring Triad whistle drop rate buffs, Garo gear added to calamity salvager, and the proto-Ultima 24 man trial.

Diadem 2.0 is bugged, so they're releasing that in 3.55b which they're hoping will be the first or second week of March.

Story conclusion comes in 3.56 which will be later, which will also add Garo gear to the MGP vendor.

Well I finally ran Dun Scaith for the first time. And we wiped twice at the second to last boss and disbanded -_-

What. ACN gives you both SCH and SMN. Those attribute points are honestly not a big deal. And you can always change your stats anytime with a cheapo item from your grand company anyway.

There's an Item (The Keeper's Hymn or something like that) for 250 Grand Company Seals to reset the attribute Points.

I mean you can and its not a big deal unless you're trying to be optimal, but I just personally think its annoying to keep resetting it every time I wanted to change jobs between the two lol. Regardless, its stupid how that class/job still works with att points, even if its ultimately not that that important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom