• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
CE8QWth.jpg

But I thought GAF hated Lalafells.

That's what they want you to think, but in reality every day is a potato party at the GAF house.

KuroNeeko

Hey guys, anyone have any advice on how to move icons to your vertical / horizontal hotbars (not crossbars) on PS4?

I really need to get one set up for things like Ninjutsu and Assassinate.

This game does a great job of getting you interested in trying different roles. I have a SCH at 41 and a NIN at 44. Would really like to try Bard, Dark Knight, Monk, and Astrologian.

The cross-class skills, however, were a terrible, terrible design decision that keep that interest from taking shape. Why should I have to play LNC, a class I have almost no interest in, for 34 levels just to get the "mandatory" Blood for Blood skill for Ninja, Bard, and Monk?

Why do I have to play BLM for 26 levels to get Swiftcast or WHM for 34 to get Stoneskin? UGH!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey guys, anyone have any advice on how to move icons to your vertical / horizontal hotbars (not crossbars) on PS4?
You can use a wireless mouse, the virtual mouse mode (L1+R3, I think) or the DS4's touchpad as a mouse to drag and drop icons from your ability window.

yami4ct

Giving my friend who plays a lala shit for playing a lala might be my favorite part of XIV now.

Around 250 hours in. Almost done with HW now. This game is pretty great alright.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The cross-class skills, however, were a terrible, terrible design decision that keep that interest from taking shape. Why should I have to play LNC, a class I have almost no interest in, for 34 levels just to get the "mandatory" Blood for Blood skill for Ninja, Bard, and Monk?

Why do I have to play BLM for 26 levels to get Swiftcast or WHM for 34 to get Stoneskin? UGH!

I'm pretty sure this is getting changed come Stormblood. Fortunately.

Heartfyre

No one gives me shit for playing a Lalafell, thank god I'm not on the same servers as you guys lol.

They just don't say it to your tiny lala face. Every time someone quits a trial after the first wipe, it's not because of the party performance. It's because you're a lala.

I was so happy to tell the Songbird lala to stand in the back.

yami4ct

How are they changing it? I actually like the cross-class skill design.

They are killing the whole system. Certain skills will now be placed in pools that can be used by every class in a role, though they haven't said specifically how all that will work

kagamin

They just don't say it to your tiny lala face. Every time someone quits a trial after the first wipe, it's not because of the party performance. It's because you're a lala.

I was so happy to tell the Songbird lala to stand in the back.

Nobody wipes because I carry as a healer. :p

duckroll

They are killing the whole system. Certain skills will now be placed in pools that can be used by every class in a role, though they haven't said specifically how all that will work

So are they killing the class system or just the cross-class skill system? I'm confused.

KuroNeeko

I'm pretty sure this is getting changed come Stormblood. Fortunately.

Maybe I'll just...forget...to get B4B then until SB.
There's probably no getting around Swiftcast though. : /

How are they changing it? I actually like the cross-class skill design.

They haven't released the details yet, but are alluding to a sort of "role skill pool" where all classes of a given role will have access to certain skills. No one knows if they'll bake those effects into existing / new skills or if they'll just it so there are X shared skills that you unlock at X level when you play as ANY class in that given role. e.g. Hitting level 26 on any healer / caster may give you Swiftcast.

yami4ct

So are they killing the class system or just the cross-class skill system? I'm confused.

Base classes aren't going away yet, but I think they've stated as much that they're trying to phase it out and then get rid of it leaving just the higher level Jobs

kagamin

Swiftcast is pretty essential, yea. I was lucky I had already gotten Lancer up to 35 (during my trial period too) and like I've said much before, I just dropped it. So that turned out well I suppose.

Thorgal

eventually both .

currently they are removing the need to level other classes for cross class skills that are considered mandatory . so for example Provoke is a paladin skill but since many fights are designed with a tank swap in mind every thank needs to have it . they are changing it now so that certain skills like the above are available to all tank classes , same for DPS and healers skills .

The classes archer, Marauder , Lancer etc are also going to be on the chopping block eventually ( not before 5.0 though iirc ) so we are only going to have jobs left ( War , Bard , Draggoon etc ) as that is still a rellic of the 1.0 days .

this process is already happening since Ninja was the last job to be afdded with a class ( rogue ) . after that , all jobs after that in HW and future SB start without a class and go straight to their jobs .

duckroll

How are they going to remove the base classes without fundamentally changing the early game in what imo would be a bad move though? The culture and lore of each city state is tied deeply with the roles the guilds play in each one. I also feel that starting out in a "generic" sort of adventure occupation and then graduating into a traditional FF Job after attaining the soul crystal was a very satisfying progression path in the game. It would be strange to drop all that in favor of letting players just start out in a Job.

this process is already happening since Ninja was the last job to be afdded with a class ( rogue ) . after that , all jobs after that in HW and future SB start without a class and go straight to their jobs .

How does this actually work? Is the Job quest for the soul crystal just available when you are of a certain level?

yami4ct

How are they going to remove the base classes without fundamentally changing the early game in what imo would be a bad move though? The culture and lore of each city state is tied deeply with the roles the guilds play in each one. I also feel that starting out in a "generic" sort of adventure occupation and then graduating into a traditional FF Job after attaining the soul crystal was a very satisfying progression path in the game. It would be strange to drop all that in favor of letting players just start out in a Job.

How does this actually work? Is the Job quest for the soul crystal just available when you are of a certain level?

'Extra' jobs in HW just start at a higher level and give you a crystal once you do the quest to unlock them. The HW jobs start at level 30 and you level them from there. I'm not sure what the SB classes start as.

I assume the early game will run the same way, you just won't have the 'graduation' moment. You'll just start as your final job instead of having to play a lesser class for 30 levels. You'll probably run all the same 'Lancer' job quests, but your job will say DRG from the start.

While I agree the moment of graduation is cool, the class system really doesn't add all that much gameplay wise and potentially could create limitations down the line having to support these old classes.

Bebpo

Banned

Yes.

And yes, letting you job into any lvl.30 job from 2.0 without doing the earlier class will cause problems currently when characters from the previous class that was required show up in the new job storyline or things are connected between the two. Doesn't happen that often but it's still an issue. If they do ditch the class requirements I wonder if they'll take the time to rewrite some of the job quests to make them completely standalone.

Also I think a lot of people will be kinda pissed at all the time they wasted leveling all the classes to 30 to get to the jobs that now anyone can just jump into, but that happens with every patch anyhow so I guess it doesn't matter.

not sure what the SB classes start as.

They start at lvl.50, which having a full lvl.50 rotation from the very start will be a lot of fun. Also it makes sense because HW jobs got lvl.30/35/40/45/50 job quests + 52/55/57/60 job quests so about 10 quests total. SB classes will get 50/52/55/57/60/62/65/67/70 presumably, so about 10 quests as well.

yami4ct

Yes.

And yes, letting you job into any lvl.30 job from 2.0 without doing the earlier class will cause problems currently when characters from the previous class that was required show up in the new job storyline or things are connected between the two. Doesn't happen that often but it's still an issue. If they do ditch the class requirements I wonder if they'll take the time to rewrite some of the job quests to make them completely standalone.

Also I think a lot of people will be kinda pissed at all the time they wasted leveling all the classes to 30 to get to the jobs that now anyone can just jump into, but that happens with every patch anyhow so I guess it doesn't matter.

They start at lvl.50, which having a full lvl.50 rotation from the very start will be a lot of fun.

I suppose it depends on how the SAM and RDMG rotations are designed, but they certainly have to have a good amount given all the level locked 50 content I guess.

It's nice to have them start 20 levels under max instead of 30 though. Means you only have to grind 10 to get them started.

Squishy3

I don't think they'll be removing the starting classes entirely, but you'll probably no longer be required to level any additional classes past the class you need to get to 15 for your job to get the abilities that you need. (maybe unlock a different suite of abilities for each cross class skill slot you unlock, since they're already at specific levels?)

As it is, these abilities are all required for the following role types:

Healers need swiftcast (level 26 THM), physical dps need Blood for Blood (Level 34 Dragoon) and Black Mages need Quelling Strikes (Level 34 Bard) otherwise they generate large amounts of flash aggro in their openers that can easily catch most inexperienced tanks unaware (as well as just being useful period) and tanks obviously need provoke from Gladiator even though no class except Paladin requires Gladiator to advance to their job.

I'm leaving Raging Strikes out of the discussion because it's obtained at level 4, making it trivial for Black Mage, Machinist and Summoner to obtain. :p

Two of those (quelling strikes and swiftcast) have use on summoner and while there's no reason not to have them if you're playing at anything resembling a hardcore level, I wouldn't say the average FFXIV player absolutely needs them on Summoner the way those other skills are needed on those role types.

This would also get rid of dumb things that make no sense like Warrior being able to cross class Savage Blade and Paladin being able to cross class Skull Sunder.

Bebpo

Banned
I suppose it depends on how the SAM and RDMG rotations are designed, but they certainly have to have a good amount given all the level locked 50 content I guess.

It's nice to have them start 20 levels under max instead of 30 though. Means you only have to grind 10 to get them started.

Sure, but again it makes sense proportionally as going from 50-60 is about the same time requirement as 30-50 since 50-60 requires so much more xp. At least, I think that's how it lines up. Haven't taken a 2nd job from 30-60 yet myself.

I don't think they'll be removing the starting classes entirely, but you'll probably no longer be required to level any additional classes past 15 to get the abilities that you need.

Healers need swiftcast (level 26 THM), physical dps need Blood for Blood (Level 34 Dragoon) and Black Mages need Quelling Strikes (Level 34 Bard) otherwise they generate large amounts of flash aggro in their openers that can easily catch most inexperienced tanks and tanks obviously need provoke from Gladiator even though no class except Paladin requires Gladiator to advance to their job.

I'm leaving Raging Strikes out of the discussion because it's obtained at level 4, making it trivial for Black Mage and Machinist to obtain. :p

Two of those (quelling strikes and swiftcast) have use on summoner and while there's no reason not to have them if you're playing at anything resembling a hardcore level, I wouldn't say the average FFXIV player absolutely needs them the way those other skills are needed on those classes.

Yeah, I'm thinking they'll just give them to the jobs at the start. I still don't have B4B for my lvl.56 early HW Ninja. I'm slowly grinding a Lancer up just to get it (at lvl.20 now) and it's super boring that I'm doing this all just for 10-30 seconds or something of an extra 10% damage just from my character which is so miniscule in the scheme of things (compared to like Trick Attack that gives EVERYONE in the party doing an extra 10% damage). Just feels like such a pain in the ass just to get a few extra DPS.

Also I'm starting to run a white mage (lvl.27 now, almost at white mage, grinded anarchist to lvl.15 already) and knowing that I'll need to grind THM to lvl.28 for swiftcast at some point (probably sooner than later) is really annoying.

So in other words, if they give these jobs those skills from the get go it would be a good thing.

duckroll

I don't think they'll be removing the starting classes entirely, but you'll probably no longer be required to level any additional classes past the class you need to get to 15 for your job to get the abilities that you need. (maybe unlock a different suite of abilities for each cross class skill slot you unlock, since they're already at specific levels?)

If they are just getting rid of the secondary class requirement for Jobs, that's fine. I don't think anyone really cares for it. It'll just mean that all base classes will directly lead to one classic Job, and you can learn extra ones later on as you find the trainers around the world. Leveling secondary classes is the most tedious part of attaining a Job anyway. Not gonna miss it.

Yes.

I won't be pissed if they improve the game even if it means I wasted time doing dumb shit earlier on. I would be pissed if they removed the class thing ENTIRELY, because it would mean new players have a weird mutated story compared to what we played. I think retaining the story experience is important. But tbh, if they change something drastically, they will probably give existing players some bonus anyway.

Bebpo

Banned
They're not going to remove classes entirely. Because you still need to pick something for 1-30. But from what I understand if you started as a Lancer, it might be called Lancer/Dragoon from 1-30 and still have the Lancer quest line and then become Dragoon at lvl.30 without having to level Marauder.

It wouldn't change much for your first class, it'd be more for your 2nd battle job since you could just do the lvl.30 quest unlock and get the soul crystal right away without leveling a class 1-30.

I kind of like it. I was convinced marauder was going to be great but I actually find it super boring but because I wanted all these other skills I have played a bunch of other classes and found ones I enjoyed more.

Hearing I have to get lancer to 35 is annoying, think I'll wait till I have transportation and such before I do any more lower level stuff.

Yeah, they would have to change a ton of the lore. Just as an example, the player character and the three Senna siblings are supposedly the only WHMs in the world's canon.

Apoptomon

Healers need swiftcast (level 26 THM), physical dps need Blood for Blood (Level 34 Dragoon) and Black Mages need Quelling Strikes (Level 34 Bard) otherwise they generate large amounts of flash aggro in their openers that can easily catch most inexperienced tanks unaware (as well as just being useful period) and tanks obviously need provoke from Gladiator even though no class except Paladin requires Gladiator to advance to their job.

I'm leaving Raging Strikes out of the discussion because it's obtained at level 4, making it trivial for Black Mage, Machinist and Summoner to obtain. :p

Two of those (quelling strikes and swiftcast) have use on summoner and while there's no reason not to have them if you're playing at anything resembling a hardcore level, I wouldn't say the average FFXIV player absolutely needs them on Summoner the way those other skills are needed on those role types.

This would also get rid of dumb things that make no sense like Warrior being able to cross class Savage Blade and Paladin being able to cross class Skull Sunder.

where would blizzard ii, E4E, and virus fit into this?

KuroNeeko

That feeling when you trap your opponent in the tournament so perfectly they know they're screwed. (I'm red here)

How are TT tournaments these days? I'm thinking about grinding out the TT achievements, but (back in the day) there was so much talk about fixed matches and long waits. Only at about 20-something cards right now.

duckroll

Yeah, they would have to change a ton of the lore. Just as an example, the player character and the three Senna siblings are supposedly the only WHMs in the world's canon.

I don't think this will ever change though. Like everything else in the FFXIV story, it assumes that your story is unique to you, and you are the only special chosen one. If you are already one, other players in your party or running around are just "other adventures" and not a WHM or DRG or whatever, not matter what they tell you! :)

kagamin

How are TT tournaments these days? I'm thinking about grinding out the TT achievements, but (back in the day) there was so much talk about fixed matches and long waits. Only at about 20-something cards right now.

They're great honestly, the Triple Triad Battlehall is the only place to actually get matches, and you can only solo queue to get into it. Plus it has the added benefit of being cross-world so you can't throw matches on purpose to friend or something because you might not even end up in their instance. You can play against the AI for tournament points too, but they give a lot less.

That feeling when you trap your opponent in the tournament so perfectly they know they're screwed. (I'm red here)

So wait, you can use whatever cards when playing against other people?

I think its pretty BS that when I make a deck with my cards that are actually good, the game is like "nah your deck has too many rares" yet every NPC has atleast 3 3stars and multiple powerful cards, while im limited to my ultimate weapon and bunch of one stars.

I also spent an hour wining against the woman by materia goblin and she didnt give me a damn thing.

kagamin

I think its pretty BS that when I make a deck with my cards that are actually good, the game is like "nah your deck has too many rares" yet every NPC has atleast 3 3stars and multiple powerful cards, while im limited to my ultimate weapon and bunch of one stars.

I also spent an hour wining against the woman by materia goblin and she didnt give me a damn thing.

So the thing is, the more cards you have the more rare cards you can use in your decks, so for example, when you get 30 cards, the restriction on how many 2* cards you can have per deck is rescinded, same with 3* cards when you get 60 cards, otherwise those 4* and 5* cards are useless outside of specific strats imo.

So the thing is, the more cards you have the more rare cards you can use in your decks, so for example, when you get 30 cards, the restriction on how many 2* cards you can have per deck is rescinded, same with 3* cards when you get 60 cards, otherwise those 4* and 5* cards are useless outside of specific strats imo.
I seeeeeeee. I think im about 8 away from 30. I dropped 8K on a pack and got the worst card you can get :( should probably have just picked up 3 gold packs for a zidane chance..

If you're trying to get better cards, go against easy opponents and collect as many cards as you can. The more cards you own the more higher ranked cards you can use.

For example;

New players can use 4x 1* & 1x 5* cards
having over 60(?) you will be able to use 4x 3* & 1x 5*

More cards you own, the stronger you are.

Bebpo

Banned
TT is pretty bullshit the way it's designed, at least prior to 3.5 (haven't played in a month or so). Basically if you're under 30 cards you can't play anyone more than 30 cards (which is everyone) or you'll automatically lose. If you're under 60 cards you still can't really play anyone with over 60 cards (which is basically everyone) or you'll almost always automatically lose.

So you have to sit through dozens of hours of playing NPCs and/or getting drops and getting your card count to 60+, now you have a fighting chance.

But then you go to tournaments and people cheat by having their FCs or friends play them and throw the matches. I read a bunch of faqs on TT when I got into it and was getting to 60, and everything I read basically said tournaments are filled with cheaters and pointless and no fun.

I still do them and play the NPCs mainly (most human players will not play with me in a tournament and will just play NPCs in the battlehall), and end up usually like #15-20 on the rankings and I get a good chunk of MGP and some cool card sometimes so it's still kinda fun. But they are definitely issues.

And I really didn't like how they basically fuck over new TT players until they have 60 cards which takes some time. There absolutely needed to be a way for a <30 card player to play a >60 card player with a sync rule set that only allows <30 card deck limits (all 1 star except for one high rarity). Same with < 30 > 60 players should be able to do sync matches against >60 players (ie, only all 2-star decks except one high rarity). Basically there should be an OPTION at the least to put players on the same ground. But since there isn't, until you get to 60 you're totally fucked since almost everyone who plays TT is over 60 cards at this point.

Also the AI is a bunch of cheating fucks. A lot of AIs and their rules are absolutely insane and it's not fun on the high levels. And on top of this, after you beat them once the "!" card symbol over their head vanishes. So once you've played all the NPCs once you have no idea which NPCs you can play, which is annoying since most have 2-3 unique card drops you may want. All they need to do is not remove that symbol, at least until you get all the unique cards from a specific NPC.

All that negativity on how it's setup being said, I actually really like Triple Triad the game itself in FF14 and the card collecting. Out of my almost 350 hours in the game so far, probably at least 50 hours of that is Triple Triad playing. I got super into and had a ton of fun. But man, if they just made a few changes it'd work so much better in FFXIV. So many parts of it seemed half-assed in implementation. Plus the whole fact that 4 star cards are entirely useless right now since you're always going to want a 5 star card for your rarity and your other cards can only be 3-star. They should add another level at this point in SB that if you have 90 cards you can have a deck of all 4-star cards + one 5-star card. And then I guess eventually let you do all 5-star cards though those matches would be kinda crazy deadlocked because all the cards are so strong.

Did they change the TT skin? I don't remember it being green?

On my return trip through PoTD i'm up to 31-40 (that's up next) and I have my Aetherpool gear at about +32/+26 or 28 so barring some disaster I should get the iLvl 230(?) weapon this time.

Ken

whew zhloe is great character

Zhloe Aliapoh: At Rowena's House of Splendors, you can purchase an enormous flagon of pineapple juice for the low, low price of only one hundred and thirty blue scrips! And who needs food when you have pineapple juice? Not Zhloe, that's for sure! Mmm, pineapples...

RIP

yeah tbh if I hadnt won that 10k MGP I wouldnt have been able to buy the cards to make even beating the NPCs a realistic option. Bizarre setup but Im addicted

On my return trip through PoTD i'm up to 31-40 (that's up next) and I have my Aetherpool gear at about +32/+26 or 28 so barring some disaster I should get the iLvl 230(?) weapon this time.

Unless you really need it ASAP to play ilvl restricted content I would recommend getting your levels up to 40/40 before trading it for the weapon, as doing so resets your aetherpool rating to 1/1.

Running floor 51-60 nets a lot more Exp than 1-10 so it makes leveling easier, and to get the 255 weapon you need to clear floor 100, so having a high enough aetherpool rating to survive past floor 50 helps save some time as you won't have to go through the lower level floors again to re-strengthen your gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom