• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MogCakes

I'm so insanely overwhelmed at the moment. Dyes, materia, tomstones, ilevel etc. so many features to keep track of, and then I need to do all of those blue + quests besides the MSQs too. And I don't even know how to level up my equipment, or even how to dye my stuff other colors.

At least I dyed my hair green for 2,000 Gil. Yay. That was my reward for completing ARR base content.

But I feel lost.

Dyes and glamour are just that, optional and not required for progression, although many (most, if not all) would argue that glamours are the true endgame of FFXIV because in the end everyone wants to show off their cool stuff or express themselves in their characters. Tomestones from this point on will be your primary currency in dealing with equipment upgrades, all you need to know is doing your daily roulettes will earn you tomes to buy equipment with and later dungeons will reward more tomes. iLevel is the most important determinant of content for you, up until now you've had level requirements as you've progressed in the story, starting post 2.0 to the start of 3.0 you'll have ilevel requirements instead. Think of it as a measure of your strength alongside your base level. You'll feel comfortable with all these things eventually.

Zuly

Nah, I was the tank at the time and I used cds. The healer made me die 5 times or so... I don't know what the hell they were doing. Sometimes they were in cleric when my hp was low... sooo yeah I ended up rage quitting that run a few weeks ago :p My last death happened when I popped LD and they healed me before I was in Walking dead state.

whm problems

Not to mention the majority of healers forget they have a button that works as a mitigator.

What is Virus? What is Disable?

Squishy3

I'm so insanely overwhelmed at the moment. Dyes, materia, tomstones, ilevel etc. so many features to keep track of, and then I need to do all of those blue + quests besides the MSQs too. And I don't even know how to level up my equipment, or even how to dye my stuff other colors.

At least I dyed my hair green for 2,000 Gil. Yay. That was my reward for completing ARR base content.

But I feel lost.
If you just finished the 2 level 50 dungeons, don't worry about tomestones right now. You'll get gear good enough to carry you into Heavensward through the MSQ.

TheChaos0

I finally finished the vanila RR MSQ. Sat through the credits and all, ye I get why people were saying it was a real FF in forever. Not that I didn't know mind you but everything after
Garuda
was great and very FF like.

The game story is basically on FF2-4 level, it taps in all those things that made those game great plus more!

I take it there's more story in Coil of Bahamut?

kagamin

I finally finished the vanila RR MSQ. Sat through the credits and all, ye I get why people were saying it was a real FF in forever. Not that I didn't know mind you but everything after
Garuda
was great and very FF like.

The game story is basically on FF2-4 level, it taps in all those things that made those game great plus more!

I take it there's more story in Coil of Bahamut?

Also the hardest story content in the game, but pretty much only one of the turns isn't faceroll because of insta-death mechanics.

Ken

for anyone with tiny interest in FF mobile games, brave exvius is having its FFXIV event on friday for two weeks

oYrH1ec.png

Edzi

Just realized I've been hoarding all those attribute points you get as you level up. What should I use them on as a Warrior?

Qvoth

All of them?

yep

But I feel lost.

you shouldn't care about materias if you're not doing any raid content
dyes also are kinda pointless considering you'll be switching equipments very quickly, unless you wanna keep buying dyes for each equipment everytime you switch to something new

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression and Level Locked Content follow this guide if you don't know what to do
the site has another guide that tells you gear progression, can check that out as well

Here we go.

Y: I usually compare FFXIV with a theme park, but the Forbidden Land of Eureka won’t be a place where everyone would want to go. For example, there are people who don’t want to go to horror houses because they don’t see the point in getting scared on purpose. For example, on a date, the boyfriend might want to invite the girlfriend to go the horror house, but the girlfriend just doesn’t seem to find it fun. In other words, it’s not like everyone wants to go to the horror house, but there are people who just love the adrenalin rush they get from it. Think of Eureka as something like that.

F: We don’t have a place in FF like that, yet.

Y: We don’t. Up until now, in the theme park called FFXIV land, we went to various attractions through the Zodiac and Anima Weapon quest lines, but I think a lot of people are getting tired of that system. We are also reaching our limits on how to create routes to go to those attractions, so we thought that we might as well make the weapon quest one of the attractions, as well, rather than it being a tool to see attractions. It will still be a “time to win” based attraction like Zodiac and Anima Weapons. That’s why we thought that the name “Forbidden land” fits it quite well… (laugh). In FFIII, Eureka in a land that is sealed with powerful magic and weapons, so in order to keep that charm point, we want players to put in hours and effort into making it. With that in our minds, we thought we should bring it up by a level, so we made Eureka.

F: Will monsters that pop once every 72 hours appear there?

Y: It’s an easy to understand example, so I used it in the Opening Keynote. It would be hard for it to work in the current age. But, I do think that it is possible to have contents that require some kind of an entry key to challenge them, like FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 had. For example, in FFXIV 1.0 you had to collect Infernal Totems in order to challenge Ifrit. We can’t implement that for all of the contents in the game, but using that system for one “attraction” is a possibility. It would introduce a new concept and values of getting rewards through putting time into getting those entry keys and then challenging the contents to get those rewards. Therefore, we thought it would be a good idea to introduce that to FFXIV, as well. At first, I didn’t want to reveal the name completely, but we announced it at this timing because we thought that it would be easy to understand by players who have been long time Japanese fans of the FF series. The title was unanimous in the development team, as well.

This is so true.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
For example, on a date, the boyfriend might want to invite the girlfriend to go the horror house, but the girlfriend just doesn't seem to find it fun. In other words, it's not like everyone wants to go to the horror house
We have this it's called Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak

ebil

I almost always use Virus to mitigate tank busters, am I doing it right?
You will usually get more value out of Virus when using it on raid wide AoE damage (only if you're a SCH or a SMN, as WHM and BLM don't get traited Virus and raid wide damage is usually magic damage), but optimal use varies from one fight to another.

Using it on tank busters isn't a bad idea, but you should always plan around maximizing its mitigation potential. It's a really powerful CD.

Also

We also talked a bit about the path to Stormblood. Two more patches are planned for the game before the expansion launch, both 3.56 in a couple of weeks and a 3.57 patch at some point after that. He could not, however, discuss whether or not players would have a new trial a la the Steps of Faith; players should just be ready for big changes to hit Eorzea to set up the expansion.

Would be nice if folks would try and stack the slime puddles underneath the boss in these A1S light parties. It's tough to double stab the boss when the only safe spot is right in front of the boss.

yami4ct

After of a couple days of making no headway (Mostly due to not being able to get in dungeons due to only fitting in time when the server pop on Cerberus seemed sparse), today was a great day of progress for me. Cleared Void Ark, Weeping City and 2 level 60 dungeons as well as got my 3rd Aether Oil. Feels really good just to knock a bunch of stuff out.

I plan to take a break for at least a month after my current sub expires next week mostly in order to give Persona 5 some space and so I don't burn out on the game before Stormblood hits. Gonna save all the post HW MSQs for a runup pre-SB I think. Want to get as many raids out of the way as I can before this expires as I'm having a super fun time with those. Non-Savage Alex should be fairly reasonable to get done. Getting to 235 for Dun Scaith might be a bit rough. Currently at 207, so it might be doable with a little luck. We'll see.

Demoskinos

Hahahaha this entire Yugiri quest line was made to introduce players to the upcoming new Au Ra race before HW was released wasn't it? It's so obvious and they're keeping her "mysterious" and all, except.... not only am I an Au Ra, but we're in the middle of a seasonal event right now where one of the pop idols is an Au Ra! Not working so well for my ~immersion~. Neat story so far though. I'm interested in learning more about Doma, especially with Stormblood coming in a few months!

Pretty much. It was a interesting reveal when it happened. I like Yugiri I'm glad we'll see more of her in the expac but... still really sucks what happened to her original Voice Actress. :(

Moaradin

Pretty much. It was a interesting reveal when it happened. I like Yugiri I'm glad we'll see more of her in the expac but... still really sucks what happened to her original Voice Actress. :(

Was it the original voice actress or the replacement for Heavensward since most characters got new voices? Can't remember if Yugiri was one of the few that carried over like Aymeric.

Luigi87

Been grinding while Power Rangers streams on Twitch as background noise, lol

Almost to 49. Will easily hit it tomorrow after Roulette, then it's a matter of the remaining 49 quests + grinding to 50.

Edzi

What are the 2 MSQs that people were saying had a ton of cutscenes? I'm on the first lvl 49 quest and wanna save the long ones for a weekend when I'm free so I can get people to help out.

Luigi87

What are the 2 MSQs that people were saying had a ton of cutscenes? I'm on the first lvl 49 quest and wanna save the long ones for a weekend when I'm free so I can get people to help out.

It's the two final dungeons (which are Level 50). I'm at the first lv.49 quest myself, but I'm about 2/3rds to lv.49 so can't do it yet, lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
It's the two final dungeons (which are Level 50). I'm at the first lv.49 quest myself, but I'm about 2/3rds to lv.49 so can't do it yet, lol

You're still really far off from it, but there's also nearly 90 minutes or so of cutscenes at the end of the post-ARR stuff leading into Heavensward. So yeah, just keep that in mind for the future too.

TheChaos0

All of them?

A bit of context, vitality increase your damage the same way strength does, on top of providing you with more HP. So no reason to take anything else.

Thancred has to be the most boring FFXIV character by a long country mile.

Hello, I'm Thancred, I do stuff. Incidentally, I do amazing backflips and pretty good at throwing daggers. I'm a bit of a workaholic but nobody really knows about it, sad. I'm also the main villain! Just kidding, I'm just messing with you. A bit. A little. Errrr. I might have possibly got possessed by the main villain, it was an incident I promise!.... ... ... help.... Help..... HEEEEEELLP!

Yda and Papalymo are the best.

Pachimari

Dyes and glamour are just that, optional and not required for progression, although many (most, if not all) would argue that glamours are the true endgame of FFXIV because in the end everyone wants to show off their cool stuff or express themselves in their characters. Tomestones from this point on will be your primary currency in dealing with equipment upgrades, all you need to know is doing your daily roulettes will earn you tomes to buy equipment with and later dungeons will reward more tomes. iLevel is the most important determinant of content for you, up until now you've had level requirements as you've progressed in the story, starting post 2.0 to the start of 3.0 you'll have ilevel requirements instead. Think of it as a measure of your strength alongside your base level. You'll feel comfortable with all these things eventually.
Thanks for laying it out like this. I'll just give it time and I'll probably be used to it all.

If you just finished the 2 level 50 dungeons, don't worry about tomestones right now. You'll get gear good enough to carry you into Heavensward through the MSQ.
I'll ignore the tomstones somewhat then, maybe just look into it to see what it's about.

you shouldn't care about materias if you're not doing any raid content
dyes also are kinda pointless considering you'll be switching equipments very quickly, unless you wanna keep buying dyes for each equipment everytime you switch to something new

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression and Level Locked Content follow this guide if you don't know what to do
the site has another guide that tells you gear progression, can check that out as well
I've been using that guide since I started but I find the website to be annoying as too often it won't stop loading and thus it takes some time just to click on their links and such.

neoemonk

Has there been anything officially said about Stormblood prereqs? I've been in a crafting hole and haven't finished the MSQ in the later Heavensward patches. I think I'm up to 3.2.

I spent the whole early release period of Heavensward blitzing through the ARR patches, so I'd like to be ready this time. I just haven't seen any information yet.

Has there been anything officially said about Stormblood prereqs? I've been in a crafting hole and haven't finished the MSQ in the later Heavensward patches. I think I'm up to 3.2.

I spent the whole early release period of Heavensward blitzing through the ARR patches, so I'd like to be ready this time. I just haven't seen any information yet.

You will need to do the MSQ but to unlock the new jobs you need to be lvl 50 and have done the 2.0 MSQ since they are located in ARR area.

Stuart444

Stormblood's story continues directly from the latest story patch (which will be 3.56 in a week or two). So finish up to that and you'll be good.

k1t4j

Been grinding while Power Rangers streams on Twitch as background noise, lol

Almost to 49. Will easily hit it tomorrow after Roulette, then it's a matter of the remaining 49 quests + grinding to 50.

Ahaha same here :) Catching up on the content and powers rangers in the background.

On another note does anyone here play on Zodiark EU? I'd like some company for PoTD or Diadem. I want to go above level 100 in PoTD and check it out

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Thancred has to be the most boring FFXIV character by a long country mile.

I hope Eorzea doesn't change too much too quickly. I'm still in 2.2!
That would explain your perception of Thancred than but looks at it this way it's not until 2.4-2.5 MSQs when characters start growing past their "vanilla" persona and alot of them get some character growth in 3.0 and onward but some characters get more growth over others.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I want to do Dun Scaith tonight with GAF! How does it work? Do I have to reserve my spot?

They've generally been doing a roundup of people at the Mist house, and then 3 people make Private PF groups, and give out a password to enter in. 1st come, 1st serve, kind of.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So I finally got my A12S weapon and my dps for this week's clears went up by like 300. I had upgraded from the i270 shire weapon.

What the hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom