• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

So I never pinged the old NA servers because everything felt fine to me (UK player on Ultros) but pinging the 204.2.229.234 IP given earlier I'm getting 171ms. I'm just going to assume its bigger than what I would have had before.
Yeah, it used to be around 90~100 from Western Europe to Montreal.

IMBored

Went to 190 ping from 100 previously. It was fun while it lasted, don't really fell like server transferring, so no stormblood for me.

rubius01

Because a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion in terms of playability. Alternatively, somehow the game is now unplayable for east coast but was serviceable for west coast in the reverse situation (with presumably worse hardware and worse routing).

I'm in Texas so I don't really change much either way, albeit an actual centralized server would benefit me more. Still, the improved routing and infrastructure is a larger concern than raw mileage in terms of playability here.

This ... is not really a good test of the ping? Running speedtest to check I get around ~50 ping, some 20 lower than what I average to the actual server.

For those who want to check the old server, Primal used to be 199.91.189.93 (or 199.91.189.234 for the last node prior to the server) and Aether is 199.91.189.74 (same prior node).

Wait wait wiat wait.... Did they change public address? Because if they did then the whole Sacramento thing is just a pile of shit.

53 ms in Mile High but I'm also playing on WiFi. Wired and with something better, I will be dealing with numbers below that, I am perfectly okay with that.

scy

Some people are not comfortable playing the game at 150-200+ levels of ping. Which is why my post did not even include that specific sequence of words "east coast" at all. I specifically targeted people who are being moved into a range they are not comfortable playing at.

No but the implication is there with the whole irony bit; there's no irony in them saying that about EU players getting an even worse situation but there is with those who've they've essentially swapped positions with. If you're just referencing EU and such with that then sure, they're suddenly facing a situation of their ping getting worse but, realistically, they were always facing that with the move anyway. Don't get me wrong, anyone facing unplayable situations should be upset over it, just I'd not take all that information from their ping going up some. Again, barring like 150-200 as that is at a pretty bad point, even with a lot of the leeway in the systems.

Still, I stand by the whole people are making a bigger deal of the raw distance and not the infrastructure changes. The biggest issue most everyone had was the Level 3 node that literally could not handle the load before it which created that bottleneck. The instability there, in either just straight jitter or just outright packet loss, is a far bigger deal than strictly raw latency with regards to how XIV operates. By all means, crucify them if your latency is garbage, your packet loss is through the roof, and it still spikes like crazy; just don't ignore that the raw latency isn't the end all of the situation.

Wait wait wiat wait.... Did they change public address? Because if they did then the whole Sacramento thing is just a pile of shit.

That's where it gets to be the fun part of the speculation. If you just go via the domain (neolobby02.ffxiv.com and neolobby04.ffxiv.com; 06 is EU), that does point to the new IP (204.2.229.9) when it used to point to the old Montreal lobby. So we'll see what happens in a bit as there's explanations in both directions for the location.

75ms for me. I'm from Arkansas. Not sure what I used to play at so it's a meaningless number for me :(

edit: oh, i did this

For those who want to check the old server, Primal used to be 199.91.189.93 (or 199.91.189.234 for the last node prior to the server) and Aether is 199.91.189.74 (same prior node).

and my ping is now actually worse than it was previously lol

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
50ms to 80ms so not bad. Will take that over packet loss.

So as long as I don't need WTFast to avoid packet loss it should be fine.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Looking around on the reddit the irony of west coasters telling people to stfu is palpable.

You can go to speedtest.net and ping Montreal after the initial test.

Apparently there's a few locations being thrown around. Won't know 100% sure until the servers come back up.

Alright, I did this at home (as well as found what some are saying is the old server in Montreal).

It's gotten worse. Was sub 40 to Montreal, and looks to be 100-130 now to that ip address that's going around.

Cmagus

Alright, I did this at home (as well as found what some are saying is the old server in Montreal).

It's gotten worse. Was sub 40 to Montreal, and looks to be 100-130 now to that ip address that's going around.

Yeah I was lower when the servers were in Montreal now I'm close to 130.Hopefully all is gonna be fine but I'm a little worried since I play Ninja and it was already a crap shoot before.

CLBridges

I know the server move talk is what's happening now but, when do I get my PS4 theme for preordering Stormblood? Maybe I missed some information somewhere.

I'm starting to really anticipate getting into Stormblood. The first month or so of going through HW was some of the most fun I've had in a game. Really looking forward to that feel again.

scy

Welp, I had 175ms on a good day to the Montreal servers, and if that 204.2.229.234 gateway is where the servers are then RIP. 305ms.

This actually amazes me that it's that bad. I'm curious what the bottleneck here is since I'm not sure how it's nearly doubling, even if it's got an extra like 30% to go. Do we get to blame Texas? It's probably Texas.

This actually amazes me that it's that bad. I'm curious what the bottleneck here is since I'm not sure how it's nearly doubling, even if it's got an extra like 30% to go. Do we get to blame Texas? It's probably Texas.
There are a lot more hops on the way. It's a routing problem.

Omni

I hate to be that guy but if pinging 204.2.229.234 is any indication

my latency has reduced by like 30%. I'M OKAY WITH THIS.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I've gone down from ~100 to ~30 so I'm happy.

Sucks for our euro and South America bros though, hope it doesn't impact them too much.

Luigi87

This ... is not really a good test of the ping? Running speedtest to check I get around ~50 ping, some 20 lower than what I average to the actual server.

Hm, this shows me that I'm going from 21~22ms to 90~92ms

Anyone know what the average ETA is for switching SE IDs/Accounts? They've acknowledged that they got my ticket several weeks ago and I'm afraid it won't be on time for Stormblood.

Moaradin

Getting 100ms now which... doesn't seem much better than what I had previously. Guess the move doesn't benefit East Coast players too much?

Hopefully my actual connection is better and I don't time out as much as I used to.

Apoptomon

Hmm... if the new location really is California, can I expect it to be similar to SWTOR's US West data center? I get a very reasonable 200ms for that. (for reference, that'd be about 70ms less than the "second last" address Scy posted above.)

iammeiam

Still fully expecting them to online the servers in, like, Florida or something and suddenly everything is ok.

But if the Sacremento hop is accurate I'm getting about 60 ms faster (40-ish from 100-ish.) Triple oGCDing a potion will still probably make me hate life, but maybe I can dream.

No more level 3 wooooo.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
How are you guys checking your new ping?

I never checked mine on the old servers, so probably no point in me doing so now.
SE already changed the IP address tied to the server domain but it was still offline so people were checking the second to last node on the route (204.2.229.234).

I just got a response from the actual server (25ms!) though so you can try pinging it instead of the second to last node.

Open a command prompt in windows (windows key + R -> cmd -> enter key) then type:

ping neolobby02.ffxiv.com

Or

ping 204.2.229.234

First one is the server, second one is the second to last node.

Tomat

Still fully expecting them to online the servers in, like, Florida or something and suddenly everything is ok.

But if the Sacremento hop is accurate I'm getting about 60 ms faster (40-ish from 100-ish.) Triple oGCDing a potion will still probably make me hate life, but maybe I can dream.

No more level 3 wooooo.

Having it on either coast isn't really ideal. And even when it was closer, the connection was still shit sometimes anyways because of the L3.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SE already changed the IP address tied to the server domain but it was still offline so people were checking the second to last node on the route (204.2.229.234).

I just got a response from the actual server (25ms!) though so you can try pinging it instead of the second to last node.

Open a command prompt in windows (windows key + R -> cmd -> enter key) then type:

ping neolobby02.ffxiv.com

Or

ping 204.2.229.234

First one is the server, second one is the second to last node.

Thanks. Averaging 53ms.

iammeiam

Having it on either coast isn't really ideal. And even when it was closer, the connection was still shit sometimes anyways.

Chicago area would be the best, agreed. It's largely that there'd be a lot less reaction if they stayed east since we're just used to it, Europe wouldn't be hit as hard, etc; I mostly just skipped out on anything that said it was extremely latency sensitive and was ok before.

My hope is that the hardware is better and the routing is better and seriously 90% of the NA player base won't realize anything has changed. The situation for people in South America is awful, and they could have done a better job of letting European players know they were going to see a performance hit back when they did the Euro server transfer. But it's a net gain for people in the Pacific, is a gigantic reliability win for the PS4 community that got screwed the hardest by no VPNs, and if they decide to go all in and remove double oGCDs as part of the combat rebalance I will cry it'd be relatively unnoticeable.

They had to leave Montreal; I hope whatever drove them this far west was worth it. I look forward to still being bad at games just with slightly less latency.

Wagram

100ms isn't the worst thing in the world as long as I don't have to run through Level3 or an equivalent. I would rather have a stable 100ms than an unstable 40ms and I lived next to the servers before. However, I suppose it was naive to think Square might select a location that would benefit the most amount of people. It is Square-Enix after all.

I guess their recipe for a successful MMO is to involve the player character as little as possible in their uh

story-oriented MMO.

Seriously was there a single shot of WoL doing anything in that trailer.

You must have never played WoW, where the player is the NPC and the NPCs are the real stars of the story

scy

How is anybody certain at this point these domains and IPs point to the new servers?

Because neolobby02 (Aether), neolobby04 (Primal) were their domains pre-move? Same applied to Chaos (neolobby06) and I don't know how they map out but 01, 03, and 05 are the JP servers (I assume Elemental, Gaia, Mana respectively).

100ms isn't the worst thing in the world as long as I don't have to run through Level3 or an equivalent.

I don't know how NTT compares to Level3 yet but I'm going to run some tracerts all night and see what it looks like. Some old Montreal ones had it trickling up to 2% packet loss over the course of 8 hours with some bad jitter (+/- 20 latency range typically without major spikes). Not running all that long yet but it's starting pretty well (.1% loss atm and I chalk that up to local node issue).

So basically ... I have no idea! D:

Tomat

Chicago area would be the best, agreed. It's largely that there'd be a lot less reaction if they stayed east since we're just used to it, Europe wouldn't be hit as hard, etc; I mostly just skipped out on anything that said it was extremely latency sensitive and was ok before.

My hope is that the hardware is better and the routing is better and seriously 90% of the NA player base won't realize anything has changed. The situation for people in South America is awful, and they could have done a better job of letting European players know they were going to see a performance hit back when they did the Euro server transfer. But it's a net gain for people in the Pacific, is a gigantic reliability win for the PS4 community that got screwed the hardest by no VPNs, and if they decide to go all in and remove double oGCDs as part of the combat rebalance I will cry it'd be relatively unnoticeable.

They had to leave Montreal; I hope whatever drove them this far west was worth it. I look forward to still being bad at games just with slightly less latency.

Willing to permanently bet my character's race on that not happening.

Seems like I'm going from around 60ms to 110ms. I should be able to live with it, although I could live without MCH becoming more annoying to play.

Because neolobby02 (Aether), neolobby04 (Primal) were their domains pre-move? Same applied to Chaos (neolobby06) and I don't know how they map out but 01, 03, and 05 are the JP servers (I assume Elemental, Gaia, Mana respectively).

Well I mean, when the European servers moved to actual Europe, did they keep the same domains?

Willing to permanently bet my character's race on that not happening.

When does GAF get to vote on what race Tomat has to become?

iammeiam

I don't care what the answer is. I want to believe the fanfic alternate universe where Yoshida is trolling us so hard he's set up fake servers under the old domain, in Sacramento, just to screw with us before ultimately bringing the real ones up in Manitoba.

I don't care what the answer is. I want to believe the fanfic alternate universe where Yoshida is trolling us so hard he's set up fake servers under the old domain, in Sacramento, just to screw with us before ultimately bringing the real ones up in Manitoba.

You're right on the money.

The real servers are actually running out of my basement.

scy

The real servers are on the moon.

Well I mean, when the European servers moved to actual Europe, did they keep the same domains?

Yes. It resolves to 195.82.50.9 which is the current Chaos datacenter lobby address and it used that same domain prior to the move (albeit under the old Primal/Aether IP addresses of 199.91.189.X).

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Huh...so I decided to test the ping again just in case I did something wrong before.

So I ping neolobby02.ffxiv.com and I get an average of 93 ms with a 7% packet loss

I ping 204.2.229.234 and I get average of 79 ms with 0% packet loss

and for comparison's sake I pinged the old server location:

I was unable to ping 199.91.189.93

When I ping 199.91.189.234 I get an average of 44 Ms with 0% packet loss

So just going off the second to last node I got a 35 ms increase with a direct server ping not looking great either.

Yup this server move sucks.

FWIW, an interesting theory popped up while I was chatting with people in my old raid group.

If you do ping the JP datacenters, it's easy to figure out that they are in Tokyo and hosted by NTT.

Guess where the IP 204.2.229.10 points to? An IP block owned by NTT.

The running theory is that the new servers are in the NTT North American data center located in Sacramento. Squenix is going with NTT for hosting the new NA data center because they have experience with NTT hosting their JP data centers in Tokyo. This is why the servers have moved all the way from one side of North America to another.

edit:

Lucky for me, NTT seems to share backbone connections directly with Comcast. So I am hitting my local Comcast node in Seattle and immediately being handed off to NTT's Seattle backbone and the remainder of the journey of my packets is over NTT. This is great news, no more fucking Level 3!

If you are also on Comcast, you can also do a tracert and check to see if you are also directly handing off from Comcast to NTT. If you are, then guess what, THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER AND LEVEL 3 CAN GET FUCKED

scy

If you are also on Comcast, you can also do a tracert and check to see if you are also directly handing off from Comcast to NTT. If you are, then guess what, THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER AND LEVEL 3 CAN GET FUCKED

This was literally the whole point of the move for basically everyone. I don't think there's any Level3 routing involved that isn't a local node issue (e.g., I have a shitty TWC/Spectrum node I'm routed through that's indepdent of the server). Everyone should be free of the spectre that is Level3 unless it's their personal hell, in which case I suggest laying down and crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom