• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Full stormblood theme, Revolutions!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmQm76wFfKk

Edit: Contains new footage of stromblood as well

Looking through the footage:
So Thancred continues to be AFK, only showing up at 5:00, and Ystola doesn't show up again after dramatic face off with the new Garlean JudgeGeneral. That could be concerning.
Still not sure how much I like the quick turnaround on Yda=Lyse thing. Maybe it would change with hearing the dialogue, but she doesn't look to be nearly as aloof/goofy as Yda has been this whole time. A huge personality change.
Also, that new Mithra NPC from 3.5 shows up at 5:12

iammeiam

Have they thought any more about Hall of the Intermediate/Hall of the Expert?

How close to reality is the odd-patch hard content? Is it a priority or likely to be bumped?

I'd like to experience Coil and Alexander if Solo >_>; or hell Light Party!

I mean come on!

You already can solo a decent chunk of Coil, and all of it is beatable with four people unsynced (8 needs 3 people or really good RNG, 9 needs 4 for fire/ice, I'm not too sure what the minimum for 11 is due to vulns, everything else is solo or 2-mannable.) Alexander should function mostly similarly in SB, so you should be covered?

Edit: Steam Physical CE is now up, if you were sad about your Steam copy keeping you from the statue.

dabig2

Yay went from 38 ms to 101ms with the server change.

You're using neolobby02.ffxiv.com and neolobby04.ffxiv.com I presume? Cause I'm getting 108 ms (Sacramento) whereas before I was getting 31ms with the old primal server (Montreal).

*sweats*

I'll wait until it's all official, but I might need to rethink my NIN main...

Allard

if that's accurate my ping went down 60ms so hohoho

Went from 107 ms with large packet loss to 33 ms with no packet loss to the current final destination (The servers are not up yet so the final hops cannot be finalized). At this point I think we need to wait and see. Even if the destination is further-way resulting a longer response time, the game is designed around a fairly high milisecond response, it was the packet loss that was causing me to pull my hair out, when the connection was stable I had no issues with the game while playing even at the higher response time. (Also I mained NIN, I didn't have much issues playing it with that response time either).

Forums already have the information on them.

Mine went up from 30 to 90ms.

So with this "improvement" my ping went up.

And no butt sliders as compensation?

For shame yoship. And goodbye to NIN.

I guess Europe on NA is coming to an end now too.

I was expecting something like Central NA since that would be a fair distance to everyone but they decided sticking it on the western edge of the US was the better idea.

How are you guys pinging the alledged new servers?

Ping the IPs listed here.

If the servers are actually in Sacramento, then that's the most idiotic decision Square has ever done since making the servers in Montreal in the first place.

Stuart444

Hey, does anyone who tried to ping the new servers get a request timed out?

Everyone seems to be able to get reliable numbers but I get request timed out more often than not.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I don't know what my ping was for the previous Server but my current ping for the new Server is 42 ms with 0% packet loss so I'm satisfied with that result since I did wanted it to be below 50 ms.

Well, going by some of my tests, I'm getting between 210~300 ms

It's a good thing I haven't bought Stormblood yet because if I get anything above 210 in the actual game I'm done.

BLCKATK

I know for sure I am worried for the some of the EU players in my Guild, this will be the nail in the coffin for them. If they want to play the game comfortably they will definitely have to transfer, it was already uncomfortable enough.

It's rough because I don't want to lose them.

scy

I'm up to somewhere around 4 hours of trace routes for the old servers and the new ones and it's worth noting a few things:

1) Zero Level 3 node routing involved.
2) A tighter grouping on my ping throughout.
3) Lower packet loss.

Final results may vary and all but it's something to keep in mind. A lot of people won't notice raw latency increases due to how much of the game functions anyway. Not to discredit latency matters but there's a lot more to worry over instead of just raw ping, especially when the game isn't testing your reaction speed at that fine of a level. Generally speaking, consistency and packet loss were larger issues for gameplay that most people faced, hence the infamous Level 3 troubles.

Anyway, ~70ms to Montreal to ~60 at the supposed Sacramento location here in Texas (that may or may not be a cow pasture). ~1% packet loss to ~0.4%, and I think much of that can be credited to an issue with a local node I have rather than the routing to the new location.

Hey, does anyone who tried to ping the new servers get a request timed out?

Everyone seems to be able to get reliable numbers but I get request timed out more often than not.

tracert since the actual servers (neolobby02.ffxiv.com // 204.2.229.9) aren't actually up. Alternatively, you can check the final step before the servers in the routing (204.2.229.234) instead. For what it's worth, I did go to double check pinging that address and did get a request timed out hit, albeit 1/4.

Stuart444

To where? I live in South America, Europe gets me 240 and Japan 300, I have nowhere to go.

Ah... Have you tried pinging the EU/JP servers to compare?

Well in any case just gotta wait another 9, hours to see how it is.

EDIT: Just saw your edit and yeah that sucks :/ Hopefully it doesn't go that high for you.

iammeiam

For new inductees to the 100ms ping club, I implore you to try some stuff once the servers come back up. There is a level of play at which 100ms will have a noticeable impact on damage, but we're talking upper-percentiles here. Most of the game still functions at 100. You can double oGCD. Once you hit 140-150, that will stop being an option, but part of the goal/hope here is that the routing will be better so you'll get a consistent ping without the Level 3 spikes or dropped packets.

Like, this unreservedly blows for Europe because once you hit 150 it all goes downhill fast. It's less ideal than a more centralized location. But the reaction in some areas seems to be more fear of a bigger number than the actual impact, and the impact of more stable and better routing may counterbalance some of it.

But yeah, if it pushes you over 150 life is garbage.

ubercheez

I've been playing the game from the west coast all this time with no issue (well, other than the obvious Level3 garbage). Those of you on the east coast, you'll be fine.

That said, let's see what my new ping will be... 7ms. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

This reeks of them not know what they're doing in NA.

Reminds me of when they only added stuff for dealing with bots when yoship experienced them himself or the stuff about how "there's no problems with mudras" stuff that went on for a long while.

People who end up getting unplayable pings should rightfully rake them over the coals for this because it was marketed as an improvement which is an outright lie if it forces some people to quit the game.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It sucks that a certain percentage of players are going to be negatively affected by this server and moving the server from one end of the coast to the other end wasn't the best idea in my opinion.

Ideally they should have moved the server somewhere in the Central Time Zone such as the Microsoft Data Center in Iowa or Lakeside Technology Centre here in Chicago but nope here we are with a West coast server.

scy

What do you define as unplayable?

Based on this thread

anything over 30

Snark aside, I'd suggest people to wait to actually see what it's like in game. A lot of skill queuing and tolerances built in to systems (aka, what allows for slide casting) still do exist after all.

by casually i mean you can still do raid but you're not chasing fflog numbers
I really don't find much fun in raiding if I'm not trying for at least blue numbers lol

Though it seems reddit is saying something about Sacramento not being actually confirmed since depending on where you tracert the addresses from it gives you a different location? Maybe there's hope this game isn't run by dumbasses.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
getting like 110 here at work where I wouldn't play it anyway. Guess I should have checked it before they swapped, I don't remember what my ping was.

Looking around on the reddit the irony of west coasters telling people to stfu is palpable.

getting like 110 here at work where I wouldn't play it anyway. Guess I should have checked it before they swapped, I don't remember what my ping was.

You can go to speedtest.net and ping Montreal after the initial test.

I really don't find much fun in raiding if I'm not trying for at least blue numbers lol

Though it seems reddit is saying something about Sacramento not being actually confirmed since depending on where you tracert the addresses from it gives you a different location? Maybe there's hope this game isn't run by dumbasses.

Apparently there's a few locations being thrown around. Won't know 100% sure until the servers come back up.

Edzi

Um, are these triple digit ping numbers really that big of a deal? People are acting like they straight up can't play anymore if they're on the other side of the US, which can't be right.

scy

Looking around on the reddit the irony of west coasters telling people to stfu is palpable.

Because a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion in terms of playability. Alternatively, somehow the game is now unplayable for east coast but was serviceable for west coast in the reverse situation (with presumably worse hardware and worse routing).

I'm in Texas so I don't really change much either way, albeit an actual centralized server would benefit me more. Still, the improved routing and infrastructure is a larger concern than raw mileage in terms of playability here.

You can go to speedtest.net and ping Montreal after the initial test.

This ... is not really a good test of the ping? Running speedtest to check I get around ~50 ping, some 20 lower than what I average to the actual server.

For those who want to check the old server, Primal used to be 199.91.189.93 (or 199.91.189.234 for the last node prior to the server) and Aether is 199.91.189.74 (same prior node).

ubercheez

Um, are these triple digit ping numbers really that big of a deal? People are acting like they straight up can't play anymore if they're on the other side of the US, which can't be right.

It's not that big a deal. Like, it's not nothing, but the game is still completely playable.

Unless I've been playing an unplayable game from the west coast this whole time.

Zomba13

So I never pinged the old NA servers because everything felt fine to me (UK player on Ultros) but pinging the 204.2.229.234 IP given earlier I'm getting 171ms. I'm just going to assume its bigger than what I would have had before.

You guys should just wait until you boot up the game and play it so you can get a real test of how it feels.

It might be that to practical effects you barely get any real difference.

Because a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion in terms of playability. Alternatively, somehow the game is now unplayable for east coast but was serviceable for west coast in the reverse situation (with presumably worse hardware and worse routing).

I'm in Texas so I don't really change much either way, albeit an actual centralized server would benefit me more. Still, the improved routing and infrastructure is a larger concern than raw mileage in terms of playability here.

What's playable and what's not is relative to the individual. Some people think playing at 15fps at 800x600 is fine while others are not.

Some people are not comfortable playing the game at 150-200+ levels of ping. Which is why my post did not even include that specific sequence of words "east coast" at all. I specifically targeted people who are being moved into a range they are not comfortable playing at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom