• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

PLD needs some DPS love.

Well, yeah, they do. Maybe 'fun' was the wrong word and more that the whole addition seems clunky with respect to the GCD and Sword Oath's bonus swing. It'll need some time to spend with it to see how well it flows and how much actual swing timer watching will be done for some people.

Also worth note is that it does not work with FoF, which cuts some of the damage potential of it off.

Well, let's put it in another way. Given what we know, PLD blows out of the water WAR in 4,0, just like in 2.0.

Time to start leveling PLD I guess.

I mostly see underwhelming things that help catch them up but nothing particularly amazing. I'd be targeting it more at DRK than WAR but I'm still not sure this puts them too far ahead of base DRK either.

Not to take anything away from those who simply just enjoy PLD. I was just expecting this expansion to be PLD's time with an overbuff and currently it just seems to raise the bottom line but not going to change things up without a serious content rebalance.

BlackJace

Use party finder for coil. Run it unsynced and mention that you're running it unsynced with bonus in your pf and you'll clear it in a day or two.

I've been recommended this solution before, but looking at similar requests of PF, they sit at like 2 or 3 people max. It left me wondering if people even care.

But I guess I can try it tomorrow considering WTs and all that.

Sylas

Red Mage is a lot like Machinist and that means there are going to be a lot of very, very bad red mages for a while and people are gonna burn out so hard.

Bless SE.

Kenai

Well, let's put it in another way. Given what we know, PLD blows out of the water WAR in 4,0, just like in 2.0.

Time to start leveling PLD I guess.

This seems like a chicken little sky is falling thing considering what we know isn't actually all that much. It's a lot more than yesterday, but still. Even if we knew every job ability and action for all the tanks (we don't), the abilities vs the combat is a pretty big deal too. PLDs are allowed to do things and WARs are in an extremely prominent spot right now, what we know hasn't really changed that.

aceface

I've been recommended this solution before, but looking at similar requests of PF, they sit at like 2 or 3 people max. It left me wondering if people even care.

You only need 2 or 3 other people at max level to do most of coil unsynced.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Like tomo said, you don't need a full party if you're running it unsynced. Just make sure you mention that you're running it unsynced with bonus otherwise you might be stuck waiting for a while.

Red Mage is a lot like Machinist and that means there are going to be a lot of very, very bad red mages for a while and people are gonna burn out so hard.

Bless SE.
If there is anything I learned from 3.0 it's that proc based classes and the majority of the player base don't get along.

Qvoth

someone found out blm umbral hearts use, it reduces mp cost of astral fire spells during astral fire status
i'm even more convinced now blizzard 3 opener is the right way to go
surprised foul is an aoe though, and i'm hoping they upgrade the graphical effects some time in the future like what they did to mch early on, it just seems kinda lame compared to what other classes are having

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
someone found out blm umbral hearts use, it reduces mp cost of astral fire spells during astral fire status
i'm even more convinced now blizzard 3 opener is the right way to go
surprised foul is an aoe though, and i'm hoping they upgrade the graphical effects some time in the future like what they did to mch early on, it just seems kinda lame compared to what other classes are having
It's incredibly fucking lame for a 650 AoE nuke.

*edit*
(in retrospect a Deathflare comparison by potency was a bad idea)

Regardless, Foul looks and sounds not so hot.

Qvoth

caster role actions
>> Addle - Reduce target INT and MND by 15% // 10s duration // 120s cooldown
>> Break - Unaspected magic damage spell with potency of 50, applies 40% heavy for 20s // Cast time = GCD
>> Drain - Unaspected magic damage with potency of 80, portion of damage dealt is converted to health // 600 MP
>> Diversion - Same as quelling strikes // 15s duration // 120s cooldown
>> Lucid Dream - Halves your enmity and refreshes MP with potency of 80 // 21s duration // 120s cooldown
Swiftcast - Unchanged
>> Mana Shift - Transfer up to 20% of your max MP to target party member // 150s cooldown
>> Apocatastasis - Reduce magic damage received by target party member by 20%, cannot be cast on yourself // 10s duration // 150s cooldown
Surecast
>> Erase - Remove DoTs from target party member, cannot be cast on yourself // 90s cooldown

i think as a blm i'll choose addle, diversion, swiftcast, mana shift, apocatastasis
i might mess around with drain if the hp drain is decent, maybe 1.5-2k hp drain and i might take it, but anything less than that and i'll pass

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I'm surprised SCH, BLM and RDM get Lucid Dream, which is basically just Shroud.

SCH especially. SCH has never generated a whole bunch of enmity and MP is only a real problem if you misplan and things go really bad for any reason.

Fou-Lu

I can't tank or heal, but I greatly prefer the idea of either to DPS. It's just too stressful in an MMO though! Maybe I'll just make a Bard so I can feel like I am doing some kind of supporting while I shoot things...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm surprised SCH, BLM and RDM get Lucid Dream, which is basically just Shroud.

SCH especially. SCH has never generated a whole bunch of enmity and MP is only a real problem if you misplan and things go really bad for any reason.

Yeah but with that I'd be able to solo heal and dps and not give a fuck :D

Qvoth

It's incredibly fucking lame for a 650 AoE nuke.

*edit*
(in retrospect a Deathflare comparison by potency was a bad idea)

Regardless, Foul looks and sounds not so hot.

yeah but you have to realize foul builds up every 30 seconds
what other dps class builds up their stack/bar/stance that quickly?
considering we're going to see this spell so often i think i understand they might not wanna make this too crazy

Frumix

Suffering From Success
yeah but you have to realize foul builds up every 30 seconds
what other dps class builds up their stack/bar/stance that quickly?
considering we're going to see this spell so often i think i understand they might not wanna make this too crazy

SMN's third layer of trance seems to have been activated without aethertrail
Not sure what's going on there but they probably want to move away from their shitty "30 seconds of this 30 seconds of that" idea.

Squishy3

Bless SE.
I expect the good red mages to be absolutely godlike, since their movement abilities aren't on that long of a cooldown, and they can use them to dodge an aoe and move into the boss for their close-range attacks, and then instead of immediately flipping back out they wait for the next aoe.

Sylas

If there is anything I learned from 3.0 it's that proc based classes and the majority of the player base don't get along.

And thank christ for that. People are gonna drop off of RDM like fruit flies in vinegar.

I expect the good red mages to be absolutely godlike, since their movement abilities aren't on that long of a cooldown, and they can use them to dodge an aoe and move into the boss for their close-range attacks, and then instead of immediately flipping back out they wait for the next aoe.

This is where I'm at. They basically turn into magic machine guns when they line everything up properly and dance around the battlefield while doing it. Between Paladin and Red Mage I'm pumped for SB now.

Black mage started bursting a pack before you got aggro?

A couple Overpowers/Unleashes/Flashes takes care of early pullers.

Only thing I can think of is if you die and the healer rezzes you and there are multiple mobs and the party hasn't wiped yet.

EDIT: Just noticed Red Mage has a sword attack that looks like Houryuu Zankouken. I'm looking forward to trying this out even more now.

Also someone on reddit said Requiescat increases AA damage by 20% not all damage so if that's really true it just became a less interesting ability since the idea of powered up Holy Spirit attacks sounded appealing to me. I'm personally hoping it buffs HS damage too.

Guess Who

Banned
Does anyone play FFXIV with an Xbox One controller? I've been using a DS4, but I generally like the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers better. However, the way the XHB system works - with the D-pad basically acting like "left face buttons" - feels like it's specifically tuned for the PS controller D-pad/layout, and wouldn't work as well on an Xbox One D-pad.

KuroNeeko

As a NIN (SCH/SUM) main, having Goad become a role skill seems like a big hit to the class.

I wonder they will get in terms of utility to make up for it as they have traditionally offered the lowest amount of DEEPS out of the three melee dps jobs.

I'm currently playing on an NA server (while living in Japan) and if NIN is getting some kind of rapid 忍術 skill, then I'm probably going to have to change to a JP server just to cut down on lag.

Were any explanations offered on the SCH pet gauge and what it does?

iammeiam

tfw your job gets stripped of its primary mechanic and it looks an awful lot like it's being rehashed in RDM so if you want to chase the gameplay you enjoy you're potentially dealing with epic glut of people all trying it at once

Maybe I'll get lucky and Reddit will declare RDM totally awful again during EA

Does anyone play FFXIV with an Xbox One controller? I've been using a DS4, but I generally like the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers better. However, the way the XHB system works - with the D-pad basically acting like "left face buttons" - feels like it's specifically tuned for the PS controller D-pad/layout, and wouldn't work as well on an Xbox One D-pad.

I've been using an Xbox One controller on PC since I jumped from PS4 a year or so ago; I've ultimately come to prefer it. Part of it is admittedly being underwhelmed with the DS4's general build quality (and full disclosure I'm a sucker with an Elite controller on PC), but I've never found it feeling unnatural to actually do anything and ultimately find the offset sticks easier for the rare "I need to use a bunch of stuff together that I don't usually use" situations.

iammeiam

Well, at least it ain't Bleach quotes/names.

In another note, is Reddit right on MNK having an ability to boost party wide DPS? That's huge, it's making me torn on maining SAM over MNK now.

MNK has a party-wide boost that still manages to be selfish in that people using certain weaponskills during its duration will give Chakra stacks to the monk.

Monk remains monk only more monk than before.

KuroNeeko

Also, playing on PS4, how is the lag between countries?

I feel like there is a lot of stuff that I thought I dodged, but I end up getting hit anyway. Or times when I'm waiting for each individual mudra input to go through and it throws off the timing--is that a product of lag?

Ugh, I don't want to start a new character on a JP server, nor do I want to pay $$$ to transfer servers...dammit.

edit: Any JP servers with a GAF presence?

Well, at least it ain't Bleach quotes/names.

In another note, is Reddit right on MNK having an ability to boost party wide DPS? That's huge, it's making me torn on maining SAM over MNK now.
Yoshi said MNK would get a raid wide physical damage boost, yeah, but not sure which one it'll be.

caster role actions

i think as a blm i'll choose addle, diversion, swiftcast, mana shift, apocatastasis
i might mess around with drain if the hp drain is decent, maybe 1.5-2k hp drain and i might take it, but anything less than that and i'll pass

I thought they said Erase removes dots on enemy targets?

tfw you have been gone from the game for years and you are trying to catch up

this is me right now, even after having been resubbed for almost 3 weeks.

It's alright though, there's some obvious salt for very specific things, but given I have loved the PLD class since my stint with FFXI, it's generally sounding like an awesome patch/expansion... Although, I did start a brand new character and have been enjoying the hell out of MRD/WAR, and it sounds like they are maybe nerfed..?

Whatever, I just want to tank. I'll probably level them all to max eventually, but focus on gearing whatever feels best to me at endgame level. I disregard meta preference unless the class I'm trying to play is absolutely broken (in a bad way).

... and maybe, for the first time ever in an MMO, get to max level with a dps -- I want to play MNK and RDM, but I'll be passing on RDM due to the newness hype and expectation that RDM and SAM are going to be vastly overabundant.

Aeana

Time to buy jump potions. Feed the machine.

I didn't know about jump potions, but it doesn't seem to really be applicable for me anyway. My jobs are already at level 60, and I'm actually interested in seeing the story I missed. I quit after finishing all of the story and doing a bit of Alexander the first two weeks that was available back at Heavensward launch.

SO I'm looking to jump back in and catch up/re-familiarize myself before SB hits, and realize my account is protected by a security token that I don't seem to have any more. The app is on my phone still but acts as if it isn't registered to an account yet.

I contacted Sqeenix support so here's hoping I remember all this crap. I'm seeing some horror stories of them demanding basically every piece of information to recover an account and I'm honestly not sure what my security question was. And the password recovery page kept saying my birth date was wrong which would be disastrous if they do actually have to verify all that information to get my account back.

Probably worried over nothing but if I have to start completely over I probably just wont get back into it.

kagamin

I'm sticking with MNK through the thick and thin, I'll try to learn how to play PLD and work on my SCH in the meantime though, since I don't really plan on playing much else atm going forward.

Qvoth

Also, playing on PS4, how is the lag between countries?

I feel like there is a lot of stuff that I thought I dodged, but I end up getting hit anyway. Or times when I'm waiting for each individual mudra input to go through and it throws off the timing--is that a product of lag?

Ugh, I don't want to start a new character on a JP server, nor do I want to pay $$$ to transfer servers...dammit.

edit: Any JP servers with a GAF presence?

i'm in tonberry, but i think there's only like 1-2 other gaf members here
it is the unofficial oceanic and sea server though so the english population is huge

KuroNeeko

For the free server transfers, are they limited to high population → low population transfers? Or can you transfer from ANY server to a designated, low population server?

If the latter is the case, then I'll probably transfer from Malboro to a new JP world. If not, I guess I'll consider shelling out the cash to transfer to some place like Tonberry like Qvoth said. ^^

I'm sticking with MNK through the thick and thin

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 闘気 つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Valor

The Bard rework is one of the coolest things I've seen in the game. I'm super interested to see how people try to maximize it when it's released. Huge emphasis on songs and away from how bard has worked since 2.0

Also no cast bars makes Bard and Empyreal Arrow work so beautifully.

I kind of want to go back to playing that if I can't main Samurai in SB.

The Bard rework is one of the coolest things I've seen in the game. I'm super interested to see how people try to maximize it when it's released. Huge emphasis on songs and away from how bard has worked since 2.0

Also no cast bars makes Bard and Empyreal Arrow work so beautifully.

I kind of want to go back to playing that if I can't main Samurai in SB.

How does priority work in your group? Do your 2 melees need to decide to pass on Sam before you can claim it?

iammeiam

Seeing how they balance BLM and SMN against RDM is going to be interesting, because RDM has:
Embolden
Lv.58 - Increases magic damage dealt by 20%
Effect decreases by 4% every 4 seconds
Additional effect: Increases nearby party members' physical damage dealt by 10%
Additional effect decreases by 2% every 4 seconds
Duration 20s // Cooldown 120s

In a triple physical/solo caster comp this seems like a big deal.

The full list of RDM skills actually looks pretty compelling; I wonder if they're setting up for easing out the reliance on the support jobs entirely. Melee all get Goad, casters all get MP transfer; if they give BLM or SMN a raid magic damage buff, you cover all the support bases over the group as a whole.

aceface

Were any explanations offered on the SCH pet gauge and what it does?

The fairy meter depletes while the fairy tether skill is active. Pure baseless speculation on my part but in the spirit of dissipation I wonder if it is slowly draining the fairy's hp or siphoning the hp to the person it is tethered to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom