• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So I know parts of the thread have a low tolerance for physical ranged talk, but guys I think they nuked Foe Req:

Ballad, Paeon, Minuet, Paean
Maybe they rolled it into Mage's Ballad or something. Maybe Paeon gets phys buff now?

Or maybe casters no longer get DPS buffs.

God dammit. I resisted doing the benchmark this time so I didn't get drawn back in, why am I watching stuff now.

Good thing I missed so much and wouldn't want to just skip it all or I'd be even more tempted, but it's times like this that I always regret leaving mmorpgs.

Ballad, Paeon, Minuet, Paean

It makes it intensely frustrating that they didn't talk about either ranged job in-depth, because this is a pretty massive potential shift in our roles in groups.

But nah who cares
I dunno, songs are completely changed so its hard to say whats going on. They all last 30 seconds and can be used in succession - aka no longer costs mana to maintain - and Paeon/New Minuet get ammo counters that are still mostly a mystery besides that one laser arrow oGCD used in Minuet right after Gates of Babylon

Guess Who

Banned
It'd make sense to merge magic and phys damage buffs into one BRD song, or one skill for MCH. Evens the support playing field for both jobs (since BRD didn't have a phys buff before) and lets raid groups be more flexible with having 2 melee/1 caster or 2 casters/1 melee.

studyguy

Also I guess PLD and DRK still don't have TP regen mechanics like WAR and will still rely on the (now standardized) goad for those really drawn out slugfests.

scy

DRG is so goddamn busy, and that meter always being in the single digits and about to fall off was giving me anxiety. I hope it's more fun to play or I'm switching.

They did Fang & Claw into Wheeling Thrust back-to-back to extend it so who knows how that part got adjusted. Barring optimal Geirskogul use before, it was usually pretty safe to keep BotD up, assuming you had a thing to poke.

But to add to the "DoTs where?" thing, there's no Fracture (WAR), Phlebotomize (DRG), Touch of Death (MNK) on the bars we were shown. I don't think there were any clips of NIN bars to check for Mutilate. I'm assuming combo'd ones were left alone, though.

If only they could have some sort of multi-hour presentation to communicate large-scale job changes to the player base at large....

Yeah, it was lame that they went into a ton of detail on like one class, then nearly nothing for the others (actually nothing for a lot of them).

They did Fang & Claw into Wheeling Thrust back-to-back to extend it so who knows how that part got adjusted. Barring optimal Geirskogul use before, it was usually pretty safe to keep BotD up, assuming you had a thing to poke.

But to add to the "DoTs where?" thing, there's no Fracture (WAR), Phlebotomize (DRG), Touch of Death (MNK) on the bars we were shown. I don't think there were any clips of NIN bars to check for Mutilate. I'm assuming combo'd ones were left alone, though.

It would be a pretty damn big change if they booted DoTs.

If only they could have some sort of multi-hour presentation to communicate large-scale job changes to the player base at large....
Rewatching the video, Paeon very likely does something to enemies as well. Notice how the dummy is affected by the song, as do Ballad and Minuet:

semttuloqybxb.png

My bagpipes tingle in anticipation

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That random HDfication of everything about Venomous Bite and Windbite.
They even got new spiffy icons!

Yeah, FoeReq is gone. I think the songs may be the magical/physical alternatives to FoeReq/Hypercharge?

scy

It would be a pretty damn big change if they booted DoTs.

It depends. Really, it just means one less thing to personal maintenance which is their goal in the first place. If they sprinkle that damage difference over everything else in the kits, it's not the biggest change imaginable.

I'll miss Pot+IR+Berserk Fracture but it also may just mean more Fell Cleaves, albeit without IR now, so hey whatever.

how long till we hear about WHM yanking people into insta kill AoEs?

Day 0

iammeiam

Rewatching the video, Paeon very likely does something to enemies as well. Notice how the dummy is affected by the song, as do Ballad and Minuet:

semttuloqybxb.png

My bagpipes tingle in anticipation

There's a lot of potential there--it looks like the role-based actions may include a TP refresh, an MP refresh, and a raid-wide defense buff (the fence)--but a lot of this is just residual aggravation from apparently repeating the HW pre-release cycle of not knowing anything because not in the Chosen Job section despite having far larger changes than jobs getting more attention.

They seem to have wildly changed the play style of both but aren't giving details, which is annoying because I'd pick what I level when based on how they play.

LordKasual

Banned
BRD songs seem now have some pretty extravagant visual effects applied to that dummy.

Perhaps they've shifted some of the support utility into BRD's actual DPS instead.

Either that, or you have to build stacks and then execute a Cooldown that does a party-wide buff based on which stance you're in.

Edit:

It would be really cool if all the songs were now DPS-based, and they just added a new skill (battle voice, something else) that instead gives a AST/Battle Litany style buff to the party

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Now that I don't have to deal with Gauss Barrel casting time shenanigans (Because putting up with Wanderer's Minuet was already bad enough) I'm actually going to level up a Machinist now like I said I would back when Heavensward 3.0 came out.

It depends. Really, it just means one less thing to personal maintenance which is their goal in the first place. If they sprinkle that damage difference over everything else in the kits, it's not the biggest change imaginable.

On Summoner for example, a bunch of their moves are DoTs so that would be pretty interesting to see change. Would also change healer DPS as theirs are mainly DoTs too I believe. I'm fine with them doing it if that is indeed the case, to be clear.

BRD songs seem now have some pretty extravagant visual effects applied to that dummy.

Perhaps they've shifted some of the support utility into BRD's actual DPS instead.

Bards don't really need more DPS though, them and Machinist at the highest level do a ton. Actually, now that they're mobile again they might get hit with the nerf bat on personal damage again.

iammeiam

Now that I don't have to deal with Gauss Barrel casting time shenanigans (Because putting up with Wanderer's Minuet was already bad enough) I'm actually going to level up a Machinist now like I said I would back when Heavensward 3.0 came out.

Judging GB by Minuet is a gigantic mistake. One is a system that works, the other was a half-ass hack job that basically everyone accused of being a lazy copy-paste day one.

It's basically the equivalent of refusing to eat at a restaurant because you don't like the week-old doggybag somebody left in your fridge.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Judging GB by Minuet is a gigantic mistake. One is a system that works, the other was a half-ass hack job that basically everyone accused of being a lazy copy-paste day one.
Oh I know that the casting time was actually properly implemented​ into Machinist and it was copied & pasted into Bards but I simply didn't want to play with another ranged DPS with a casting time again not only because Wanderer's Minuet sour me on the experience but because if I was so eager to try casting with another DPS I would have picked up a Summoner or Black Mage instead.

studyguy

Man... just realized PLD have a metric fuckton of party mitigation with divine veil, passage of arms and the cross class reprisal. How hard are we gonna get hit that things require that much mitigation party wide.

LordKasual

Banned
Bards don't really need more DPS though, them and Machinist at the highest level do a ton. Actually, now that they're mobile again they might get hit with the nerf bat on personal damage again.

True, but all classes seem to be getting significant DPS-based changes, even outside of Stormblood skills. With the exception of Piety, ALL of the stat changes were straight buffs to DPS, on all classes.

More importantly, current BRD seems like the epitome of what Stormblood was aiming to change. 30-50 Bard was probably the most gimped of any class in the game -- your songs were utterly useless until you hit lv50 and came up on content where they actually became useful, and then again from 50-60 leveling, the only remotely useful song was Minuet (which wasn't much of a choice, it's required), and you get yet another song (Warden's) which is LITERALLY worthless, even at level 60.

Not to mention that people really didn't take well to Minuet. So what we're looking at now is probably a complete overhaul of the class. Machinist's Gauss Barrel is already looking like a completely new mechanic, and people didn't care for Minuet from the beginning. So we're probably looking at Bard going down a completely new direction, that's probably going to reach as far back as lv30.

Omni

Their position on White Mage is so stupid. Calling it a "pure healer"... In a game that is about job synergy and raid dps.

Instead of giving them something that can contribute to a party - akin to AST's card buffs, for example - they give them "pull". Literally zero practical raid utility whatsoever. Putting aside latency issues, I'm sure as hell am not going to be watching the dps to see if they're standing in an AoE and wasting a GCD pulling them over. Especially since they've nuked cleric stance and healers will be expected to dps every GCD that isn't specifically dedicated to healing.

I realise it's still early and we haven't seen every ability, but I feel that after today we have a decent idea about what they want to do with the job. And no one worth their two cents will be raiding with a WHM over an AST if there aren't drastic changes to healing potencies, resource management, and party utility.

Squishy3

DRG definitely used Chaos Thrust during the video.
Phlebo I didn't see.
Phlebotomize is probably still around, just not used since it doesn't really do anything for the new actions, unless they removed it since you can seemingly use the 4th combo hits back to back now. Maybe upped Chaos Thrust potency to account for the removal of phlebotomize?

Guess Who

Banned
Their position on White Mage is so stupid. Calling it a "pure healer"... In a game that is about job synergy and raid dps.

Instead of giving them something that can contribute to a party - akin to AST's card buffs, for example - they give them "pull". Literally zero practical raid utility whatsoever. Putting aside latency issues, I'm sure as hell am not going to be watching the dps to see if they're standing in an AoE and wasting a GCD pulling them over. Especially since they've nuked cleric stance and healers will be expected to dps every GCD that isn't specifically dedicated to healing.

I realise it's still early and we haven't seen every ability, but I feel that after today we have a decent idea about what they want to do with the job. And no one worth their two cents will be raiding with a WHM over an AST if there aren't drastic changes to healing potencies, resource management, and party utility.

The "pull" isn't a WHM specific ability, it's a new all-healer "role" ability. They didn't meaningfully talk about any changes to any of the healers, really, except "cleric stance is just a DPS cooldown now" and "healer damage goes off Mind." It's too early to call how healer balance is going to look in 4.x, since basically every job seems to be getting anywhere from modest to drastic changes.

LordKasual

Banned
6f019c444f.png

pld fell cleave with additional dps bonus wut

Oh fuck me they're trying to make PLD fun to play. They gave them an AoE skill before Lv50.

Do we know what the Stance changes are all about? I can't take this anymore, they are doing literally everything I wanted them to do. This is too much

studyguy

So Holy Spirit is basically our boss pull move now or what? (25yd vs 15yf on shield lob)
Say you're OT, does your rotation at some point consist of REQUICAST then into 3 or 4 Holy Spirits cause ffs that's basically a bunch of fell cleaves.

Also these notes are coming hot off translations people are doing as they freeze frames where yoship hovered over them.

LordKasual

Banned
Ok so

BLM is getting the ability to refresh Enochian without a target, as well as a Deathflare-esque bonus for maintaining it correctly....(YoshiP made it sound like you actually gain this the same level you gain Enochian, which would be nice, that one level dedicated to Enochian felt super weak)

They're also getting more AoE utility with Thunder II...which is great because Heavensward really fucked BLM over with every other class getting these ridiculously powerful Off-GCD, high potency nukes. Watching Monks and Summoners dust my DPS in regular pulls in 3.0 has been utterly heart breaking

...does AoE Thunder II also mean that BLM is getting Thundercloud Thunder II AoE procs as well? We 'Rain of Death' in here?????

fuuuuuuckkkkk meeeeeeeeeeeee

BLCKATK

So Holy Spirit is basically our boss pull move now or what? (25yd vs 15yf on shield lob)
Say you're OT, does your rotation at some point consist of REQUICAST then into 3 or 4 Holy Spirits cause ffs that's basically a bunch of fell cleaves.

Also these notes are coming hot off translations people are doing as they freeze frames where yoship hovered over them.

Do you have a link?

Dude my hype was already at 11. Limit break inc.

Omni

The "pull" isn't a WHM specific ability, it's a new all-healer "role" ability. They didn't meaningfully talk about any changes to any of the healers, really, except "cleric stance is just a DPS cooldown now" and "healer damage goes off Mind." It's too early to call how healer balance is going to look in 4.x, since basically every job seems to be getting anywhere from modest to drastic changes.
oooooh

How did I miss that. Okay okay there's still hope xD

Squishy3

I'm now pondering the implications of no Quelling cross-class for physical ranged.
They may have reduced the threat generation of them to the point where they don't need it as much, but who knows.

Every single healer has pull, not just WHM. Additionally, they didn't go in-depth on WHM at all in this live letter. We know they have a barrier of some kind and some skills they can only use when their roses are all filled up. We've got more info on some of the other classes because Yoshi actually used them and moused over tooltips and stuff.

WHM is getting raid mitigation in the form of Barrier. WHM also has a new system they didn't really talk about much

Allard

oooooh

How did I miss that. Okay okay there's still hope xD

It was found in the cross role list when they showed it. Someone translated it to make it obvious.

Finally got around to seeing all the changes, and yet funnily we still don't know how a lot of stuff is going to play out. They spent so much time talking about the changes but didn't have a lot of time going in and talking about all the changes for all the jobs so there is still lots of mystery. Since its been my main since 1.0 my job (BRD) unfortunately seems to have the most mystery of how its going to play in 4.0. Besides the casting mechanic going away (Good Riddance personally, loved being able to move around the field and still doing damage) we still don't know what is going to change related to Wandering Minuet, the new moves and what they do, how old wanderer minuet moves will work with the new setup, on top of all that it seems other songs are getting altered. Makes me excited and anxious :p. Also PLD is my main as a tank so seeing all these new things is making it harder for me to decide which job to level first for 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom