• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone play FFXIV with an Xbox One controller? I've been using a DS4, but I generally like the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers better. However, the way the XHB system works - with the D-pad basically acting like "left face buttons" - feels like it's specifically tuned for the PS controller D-pad/layout, and wouldn't work as well on an Xbox One D-pad.

using a PS4 controller and DS4Windows you get 8 extra buttons if you configure the touchpad to act as such:
Swipe: left/right/up/down
touchpad buttons: left/right/front
doubletap.

I swipe for mounts and teleports, shit is pretty cash.

Qvoth

ok so umbral heart pretty much confirmed to make your fire spells cost 50% less mp after watching yoshida play blm again
foul only costs 240 mp lol, i wonder if they want it to be used when you're out of mp just before casting blizzard 3

Squenix has never known what to do with WAR, that's why it goes through these bipolar buff/nerf cycles.

WAR was broken OP in 1.0
Broken weak in 2.0
Broken OP in 3.0

It's time to be broken weak again in 4.0! Everyone who plays PLD and DRK can join hands and sing 'Kumbaya!" Please look forward to it, fellow WARs!

Valor

How does priority work in your group? Do your 2 melees need to decide to pass on Sam before you can claim it?
More like we're gonna run the two melee/one ranged/one caster set up. Eve is gonna play DRG or SAM, and our NIN is a career NIN so he isn't switching. Unless some sort of shake up happens I'm gonna be stuck as BRD/MCH for a bit longer. If group falls apart before or during SB i'm probably gonna just swap to a melee of some sort full time.

Have they said anything yet about the "expanded inventory space" they mentioned a few times over the past year or so?

Yeah. In LL you could see another page of inventory and a few more lines and they're increasing armory chest space as well as far as I remember. I think by like ten spaces or so.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
More like we're gonna run the two melee/one ranged/one caster set up. Eve is gonna play DRG or SAM, and our NIN is a career NIN so he isn't switching. Unless some sort of shake up happens I'm gonna be stuck as BRD/MCH for a bit longer. If group falls apart before or during SB i'm probably gonna just swap to a melee of some sort full time.

Yeah. In LL you could see another page of inventory and a few more lines and they're increasing armory chest space as well as far as I remember. I think by like ten spaces or so.

If you look at the inventory grid in some if the footage, you can see that it's a thing. Looks like a page and a half of regular inventory space has been added (image stolen from Reddit), and I believe they've said each section of the Armory Chest is getting 10 more slots.

Yesssssssssss, finally! Thanks for this!

Edzi

If I wanna switch between Scholar and Summoner regularly, do I have to keep swapping attribute points every time?

I want that Bahamut pet.

Mitark

The longest drag should be the patch quests (2.1 to 2.55), after that Heavensward is relatively filler-free.

I'm not sure how frequently you're playing, but if you guys do nothing but main scenario quests, you should be able to make it to Stormblood before early access starts.

thank you for the replay

we play everyday but after work of course, but it's hard to play together until the weekend since one of us is on night shift sometime or some just tired from work, so in the weekend everyone is ready.

that's why i leveled botanist and Miner while waiting and now they are lvl57 and i stopped gathering since all area with lvl50 are locked behind the last quest before HW and the source of the EXP now is the grand company mission and i made around 12-15 million with these two job while leveling them :D

NzzoxTZ.jpg

i know that i need to level lancer and monk more for the bard ><

we finished The Ultimate Weapon story quest and got the trophy :D i know we are far far behind but everyone is happy that we finished that.

i cant believe that we finished around 184 main story quest with The Ultimate Weapon quest, i need to count that in game but i used this site for now:
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Have they said anything yet about the "expanded inventory space" they mentioned a few times over the past year or so?
40 additional inv slots are confirmed for launch. If the servers don't crash and burn cause of it, more will be added later.

Q: During the Fan Festival in Las Vegas, there was an announcement regarding inventory slot expansion, but we would like to know which inventory (Inventory/Armoury Chest) is being increased and by how much!

A: We often see comments that the Armoury Chest and Inventory could not be expanded due to PlayStation®3 memory limitations, but that is incorrect. The biggest issue that prevents us from simply adding more inventory space is the amount of network usage that would occur from it. All item data is being moved along with a character when they change areas or queue into an instance, so if we were to add additional item slots without careful consideration, the amount of data being transferred could skyrocket network usage, and servers could go down very often.

Recently Inventory/Armoury Chest expansion has become possible, thanks to factors such as server upgrades, relocation of the NA data centers, and various other increases in efficiency. Keeping stability in mind, we will be implementing this expansion in two parts. We will implement the first expansion in Patch 4.0, and will add the second expansion after confirming server stability.

The Armoury Chest will receive 10 extra slots for each category of equipment, while the item inventory will be increased by 40 slots.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...XXXV-Digest-(5-18-2017)?p=4145200#post4145200

But the skill needed to know when to go in DPS stance or not doesn't really have anything to do with the stance itself. You only turn CS on when you can DPS, and you turn it off when you don't and the only skill required for this is fight knowledge. Without CS, that hasn't changed, you'll DPS when the fight allows you to and heal when you need to, all it removes is a button that can get wonky with lag. DPSing at the wrong time will still get people killed regardless of you having your shitty 5 second punishment for turning CS on at the wrong time or not.

I disagree. If you are are dpsing when people are about to be killed you can just switch hotbars without having to worry about cleric anymore and heal them right back up. With CS in current build you would have to worry about knowing when to dps or not. Now it's much easier giving healers the chance to dps because cleric stance is a 5% buff and not a stance anymore. If it were current content, that's going to be a huge gain in raid dps since people dont need to move out of stance at all. Also, the OH can now contribute to dps without worrying and can also just heal if needed. It feels overall much easier than what we had.

There's pretty much no excuse for not having any healer dps in raids in SB now.

Valor

I disagree. If you are are dpsing when people are about to be killed you can just switch hotbars without having to worry about cleric anymore and heal them right back up. With CS in current build you would have to worry about knowing when to dps or not. Now it's much easier giving healers the chance to dps because cleric stance is a 5% buff and not a stance anymore. If it were current content, that's going to be a huge gain in raid dps since people dont need to move out of stance at all. Also, the OH can now contribute to dps without worrying and can also just heal if needed. It feels overall much easier than what we had.

There's pretty much no excuse for not having any healer dps in raids in SB now.
I think he's saying that there's still going to be a skill gap between players who know how to dps and heal effectively, and one cooldown isn't going to suddenly change that. It'll make things easier now that Cleric Stance is arguably not even worth selecting for your healer build. People can still die if you dps at the wrong time regardless of Cleric Stance. That part is just flat out true. I would also argue that knowing the fight is more important to dpsing well as a healer. It's easier now to reaction heal and recover if you're caught with your pants down, but I'm sure that people will still find ways to wipe to healable damage.

Guess Who

Banned
Listening to it again I really wish Revelations had more to it. It's lacking compared to Answers and Dragonsong.

I thought Dragonsong felt a little phoned in compared to Answers, too. Kinda wish they'd let Soken do the theme instead of feeling like they have to have the Obligatory Uematsu Track.

Cleric Stance seems to only be a major problem for newer people or those who have anxiety about nerfing their healing to deal damage.

I can't say I'll miss current Cleric Stance as I've never thought it added an interesting dimension to healing beyond making me wonder why my healing is crap before I realize it didn't deactivate when I thought it did.

This way the people who were already DPSing will continue to DPS and people who avoided DPSing may be tempted to do so now because there's no risk of being locked out of healing for a chunk of time and potentially wiping your party.

KuroNeeko

Cleric Stance seems to only be a major problem for newer people or those who have anxiety about nerfing their healing to deal damage.

I can't say I'll miss current Cleric Stance as I've never thought it added an interesting dimension to healing beyond making me wonder why my healing is crap before I realize it didn't deactivate when I thought it did.

This way the people who were already DPSing will continue to DPS and people who avoided DPSing may be tempted to do so now because there's no risk of being locked out of healing for a chunk of time and potentially wiping your party.

I'm glad they're phasing out CS. I leveled as SCH up to 42 as my first main and it was both stressful and embarrassing to mismanage that skill, especially when it led to someone's death. I don't think they need to make healing easier on a mechanical level, but rather in terms of experience. A few super negative experiences as a healer can potentially push them out of the role for good.

I actually really like stance dancing, but I totally get why it needs to go.

Not gonna lie, I was most excited watching that action trailer by thinking up ways I could use Rescue to kill/cause a wipe.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Does anyone play FFXIV with an Xbox One controller? I've been using a DS4, but I generally like the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers better. However, the way the XHB system works - with the D-pad basically acting like "left face buttons" - feels like it's specifically tuned for the PS controller D-pad/layout, and wouldn't work as well on an Xbox One D-pad.

Also have been using an Xbone controller on PC since switching from PS4 over a year ago. Basically nothing to fear, it works and functions beautifully.

Squenix has never known what to do with WAR, that's why it goes through these bipolar buff/nerf cycles.

WAR was broken OP in 1.0
Broken weak in 2.0
Broken OP in 3.0

It's time to be broken weak again in 4.0! Everyone who plays PLD and DRK can join hands and sing 'Kumbaya!" Please look forward to it, fellow WARs!

I was PLD in 2.0, WAR in 3.0 and now time to jumping ship again for 4.0. YoshiP won't lock me in on shitty tank cycles!

Stopitisalreadydead.jpg

Apoptomon

I know pretty much nothing about the game's mechanics/meta beyond "push button to make flashy happen" but, having read overviews from the LL:
- parry / accuracy / totally-not-a-synonym-for-determination substat stuff seems kinda "whatever"
- the MND / cleric change for healers seems nice
- conversely, undoing the VIT-only tank thing is "huh?"... a transparent attempt at nerfing tank dps? but kind of an odd decision IMO
- making PIE healer only is also kinda "huh?".... but then again BLM and SMN aren't often starving for MP I guess, so... *shrug*
- some of the (apparent) choices of skills to delete/replace.... I don't quite see the logic for (e.g. DoTs/supervirus/bloodbath/buffs)
- the job-specific UIs looked kinda more form-over-function but whatever

... I'd have liked a more in-depth explanation of the changes, but I guess that will have to wait for 4.0 launch.
If anyone wants to jump in and explain things, that'd be cool too.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
They explained the removal of dots and buffs pretty clearly by wanting to not make people watch timers on the buff bar like we have to do now. Casual Fantasy XIV.

RK9039

WAR was broken OP in 1.0
Broken weak in 2.0
Broken OP in 3.0

What have they said about WAR that sounds weak in 4.0? I haven't been reading new information.

Yam's

WAR seem fine to me. I'm more curious about DKN's future now that PLD can block magic damage too.

However:

Onslaught
Ranged physical attack with potency of 100 that brings you to the target
Additional effect: Increased enmity
Costs 20 IB // Cooldown 15s // Range 20y

Why did they make that skill cost IB? I'd rather we could pull with it right away (and the video gave that impression). Seems strange having such a skill needing you to build your IB.

Curious to see how overpower will work with that skill too. I can see mobs going right behind you as you pull with it with no way to aoe around you as DKN and now PLD can do.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wait wait. They're removing DOTs? How do Summoners work then? Bards?

Well SMN and BRD are based around DOTs. I mean the observations that melee don't seem to have theirs anymore (unless they're rolled into other actions). It would make sense with their general aim to reduce the shallow complexity and timer watching tho.

Apoptomon

See, I thought that the "We heard you don't like watching timers" thing was solely in relation to the "so we put a fancy-arse enochian/BotD/GL/trance/etc timer in the middle of your screen" and not like... all of them... lol if you are on the right track tho

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I leveled WAR for nothing.

I don't even enjoy it. I just want to fell cleave all day but no I have to enter Defiance to keep my team alive.

Haly

Good
DRK
SAM
MNK
NIN
BRD
RDM
BLM
WHM
AST
SCH

Bad:
PLD
WAR
DRG
MCH
SMN

scy

What have they said about WAR that sounds weak in 4.0? I haven't been reading new information.

Nothing, really? The two biggest losses are a stackable 10% damage down via Storm's Path (it's shared through Reprisal for all three jobs) and, really, Bloodbath. That was probably the biggest hit, actually. Second Wind and Bloodbath being lost hit the self-sustain a fair amount.

WAR still seems to have the overall best kit of all the tanks, barring any content forcing something they can't handle. Which I can't necessarily think of much that would be a problem.

Edit: Put another way, PLD so far looks better to compete with DRK but we haven't seen any DRK changes; WAR still stands out as the best OT with what we know and they gained Rampart (over Foresight) as far as cooldown rotations are concerned. I don't see a PLD/DRK future with what they've shown so far.

Curious to see how overpower will work with that skill too. I can see mobs going right behind you as you pull with it with no way to aoe around you as DKN and now PLD can do.

There's an AoE Provoke via role action and Steel Cyclone still exists. Defiance Equilibrium is still an oGCD snap threat via the heal as well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
SCH AF3 looks awfully boring.
Not as incomprehensible as AF2 but still a bit too... I don't even know.
Everything else about the job has that pretty flavor (though not as pretty as 4.0 WHM, FLOWERS YO) but the AF just looks... dull.

Thankfully healers have a wide assortment of cool legacy glamors to choose from.
And by that I mean High Allagan Coat of Healing.

Zomba13

The AF3 mostly looks good. DRK is such an improvement over theirs from HW. Actually screams Dark Knight now.

RDM's is perfect but then again it is incredibly hard to fuck up RDM. Just make it red, make it posh and fancy, and give them a sweet pimp hat.

Haly

Can I just say how much of a douchebag WoL Hyur looks in that Monk getup? God, that hair, and the smirk. 100% Donte.

Yam's

There's an AoE Provoke via role action and Steel Cyclone still exists. Defiance Equilibrium is still an oGCD snap threat via the heal as well.

Sure but the aoe provoke is on a 90s cd and Steel Cyclone also requires IB. 360 aoe are convenient and would go well with a single target rush skill. I just have to accept that tanks in FFXIV will never have the kind of mobility tanks in WoW have. At least that rush move should be fun in pvp.

dabig2

Damn, now that I'm pretty much done with my NIN anima, might devote the next couple weeks to leveling up my MNK and PLD. MNK is at 52 and PLD is in the 40s. I'm loving the SB changes to them. Since SAM shares MNK gear and whatnot and now that they're making that class cooler, might prioritize that now. I was always wondering what to do with scripture now, and I was planning on devoting it to my WAR but now...

Squishy3

WAR rush needing IB is so silly I don't know what to say.
Probably because it's OGCD and generates enmity, keeping it in line with Steel Cyclone, just single target instead. Will be useful for dungeons since you'll be able to charge into packs instead of using Tomahawk then walking up to them and using Overpower.

kromeo

Glad to see the back of cleric stance, so many times I have to hit the button about 5 times before it actually turns off

Sam AF3 is butt ugly :( Think the AST one looks the best, especially the weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom