• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably because it's OGCD and generates enmity, keeping it in line with Steel Cyclone, just single target instead. Will be useful for dungeons since you'll be able to charge into packs instead of using Tomahawk then walking up to them and using Overpower.

The problem is that seems we can't generate IB outside of battle, so you will always have IB to start battles that way. Otherwise we are stuck with tomahawk and overpower

Dosn't seem it was designed for pulling, but rather to move between adds and main target in instances as OT.

IvorB

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet but I have to say that I am not feeling the job gauges. They are really gaudy and overdone. I don’t understand how looking at that hideous thing is better than looking at the small, discrete icons and timers we had before. Thank god we can move it and resize it.

I look the like of the new BLM skills but then I know Yoshi can never let us down on that one. He is one of us after all.

Foxxsoxx

So I was catching up on some of the thousands of hard mode dungeon quests and I accidently came across the Hildibrand quests.

Ho-leee-shiet. This is quite literally the best part of this game so far.

Qvoth

after analyzing yoshida playing rdm, i think i get the basic idea of their rotation

val thunder has 50% chance to proc val fire, and the same chance for aero to proc stone
jorura procs impact (subject to change but i think as of now it's 100%)

jorura (probably jolt 2 in english) > instant val thunder/aero depending on which mana type you want 1st > if you get the proc then use it, if not then impact > instant other val starter but of the other mana type > if you get proc use it, if not then jorura/impact > rinse repeat

RK9039

Nothing, really? The two biggest losses are a stackable 10% damage down via Storm's Path (it's shared through Reprisal for all three jobs) and, really, Bloodbath. That was probably the biggest hit, actually. Second Wind and Bloodbath being lost hit the self-sustain a fair amount.

WAR still seems to have the overall best kit of all the tanks, barring any content forcing something they can't handle. Which I can't necessarily think of much that would be a problem.

Edit: Put another way, PLD so far looks better to compete with DRK but we haven't seen any DRK changes; WAR still stands out as the best OT with what we know and they gained Rampart (over Foresight) as far as cooldown rotations are concerned. I don't see a PLD/DRK future with what they've shown so far.

There's an AoE Provoke via role action and Steel Cyclone still exists. Defiance Equilibrium is still an oGCD snap threat via the heal as well.

Sounds cool. I never use Second Wind anyway, no Bloodbath hurts though.

IvorB

after analyzing yoshida playing rdm, i think i get the basic idea of their rotation

val thunder has 50% chance to proc val fire, and the same chance for aero to proc stone
jorura procs impact (subject to change but i think as of now it's 100%)

jorura (probably jolt 2 in english) > instant val thunder/aero depending on which mana type you want 1st > if you get the proc then use it, if not then impact > instant other val starter but of the other mana type > if you get proc use it, if not then jorura > rinse repeat

I’m definitely keen to take RDM for a spin. I love that they gave him a Zoro slash.

IvorB

On the one hand, it seem odd to me that people would want to skip the MSQ since it definitely has its moments. The build-up to some of the trials and dungeons is pretty great sometimes. On the other hand, there is just so much crappy quest filler tied up in there that it does seem like a good way to go. I guess asking them to make a skip-all-the-sh*tty-filler-bits potion would be too much

IvorB

They can’t remove all DOTs. That’s a crazy idea. Also glad for a Thunder spell with an actually cool animation. Hated the previous Thunder animations.

They're not removing DoTs lol, probably just removing them from jobs that don't really need them.

BRD still has Venom, Windbite and IJ. Flaming Arrow wasn't shown but I expect it to stick around.

On the one hand, it seem odd to me that people would want to skip the MSQ since it definitely has its moments. The build-up to some of the trials and dungeons is pretty great sometimes. On the other hand, there is just so much crappy quest filler tied up in there that it does seem like a good way to go. I guess asking them to make a skip-all-the-sh*tty-filler-bits potion would be too much
Course then you'd end up in a situation where devs are like "No that isn't shitty filler that part was one of the funniest things in the game!" and nobody agreeing on what exactly counts as filler or people being mad one of the things taken out as filler was something fun etc etc.

dramatis

we play everyday but after work of course, but it's hard to play together until the weekend since one of us is on night shift sometime or some just tired from work, so in the weekend everyone is ready.

that's why i leveled botanist and Miner while waiting and now they are lvl57 and i stopped gathering since all area with lvl50 are locked behind the last quest before HW and the source of the EXP now is the grand company mission and i made around 12-15 million with these two job while leveling them :D
This is pretty crazy since the exp for BTN and MIN get pretty serious. Once you hit Heavensward however, your old method of gathering exp won't be necessary because the new method is chill.

Since you're waiting around you can probably do the Hildegarde sidequest, go gambling in Gold Saucer, or level your alt classes through Palace of the Dead. Having completed the main scenario for ARR, you could also try the lvl 50 dungeons (if you have trouble getting queue, try using Party Finder with unsynced party advertising bonus tomes, but only for your first time through lol).

Looking at the healer AF3 as a male lalafell healer, I've gotten used to wearing dresses at this point. I'm gonna rock these dresses so hard the female Lalafells will be jealous.

Looking at the healer AF3 as a male lalafell healer, I've gotten used to wearing dresses at this point. I'm gonna rock these dresses so hard the female Lalafells will be jealous.

There's nothing wrong with men wearing dresses. You've got to express yourself!

I really like the way SAM seems to work, it's a cross between MNK and WAR looking like.

The animations are muted but still flashy, which is also perfect. The Setsu, Getsu, and Ka are still Yukikaze, Gekko, and Kasha. Its LB3 just needs to be an impressive Skillchain: Light.

Here's hoping it isn't eclipsed. MNK getting raid damage utility would put it back into meta, which may force SAM out of it.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
We don't know if SMN has its own raid damage utility or not (at the very least it benefits from the slashing meme)

Two random thoughts:

Since we got potions to lvl up to 60 for new players and alt jobs, seems unnecessary not to give the option to people who completed all MSQ, the chance to start SB with the new jobs at 60.

If you completed only ARR or only have ARR, you should get them at 50, if yoy got ARR + HW completed yoy should get them at 60.

Forcing players to grind 10 lvls to be able to enjoy the story and the new areas with the new jobs is stupid, and is not like lvling in POTD would make them learn the in and outs of the new jobs during that lvling.

That decision make me drop the idea of starting with new jobs, just like when with HW I dropped DRG after lvl 36.

iammeiam

It's difficult to make any meta assumptions at this point because we don't know what other jobs will be able to provide. RDM buffing physical damage is A Thing.

I haven't watched the whole thing yet but I have to say that I am not feeling the job gauges. They are really gaudy and overdone. I don't understand how looking at that hideous thing is better than looking at the small, discrete icons and timers we had before. Thank god we can move it and resize it.

With the BLM one, what I noticed the most is that it removes the AF/UI timer from the self-buff bar, but appears to have no way to represent available procs and time left on them. It essentially visually splits the useful information on a job. Hard to know how significant that'll be long-run.

Pollux

So would it be possible to buy the lvl boost and just power through main quests only? The grinding around 35 killed me and with work and life I don't have time to dump all those hours into grinding any more to get to lvl locked main quests?

Love the story but hate the grinding

kromeo

Two random thoughts:

Since we got potions to lvl up to 60 for new players and alt jobs, seems unnecessary not to give the option to people who completed all MSQ, the chance to start SB with the new jobs at 60.

If you completed only ARR or only have ARR, you should get them at 50, if yoy got ARR + HW completed yoy should get them at 60.

Forcing players to grind 10 lvls to be able to enjoy the story and the new areas with the new jobs is stupid, and is not like lvling in POTD would make them learn the in and outs of the new jobs during that lvling.

That decision make me drop the idea of starting with new jobs, just like when with HW I dropped DRG after lvl 36.

It's probably to stop existing players just skipping straight to 60 and flooding the new content with nothing but SAM and RDM, think it's probably for the best

So would it be possible to buy the lvl boost and just power through main quests only? The grinding around 35 killed me and with work and life I don't have time to dump all those hours into grinding any more to get to lvl locked main quests?

correct. You can do this.

I believe they did say that this was possible.

IMBored

You can buy a job potion to level 1 one job to 60 when stormblood releases, and then do the quests from 35 to 60. Note that for now you can only for the potion for one job.

Qvoth

i'd argue you'll probably save more time if you buy the quest potion instead of the level potion

Clipse

Any chance of them lifting the Lv.50 requirement to unlock HW jobs? The ARR Scenario Skip should give immediate access to Ishgard, right?

Would suck to have to level an alt to 50 just to be able to use a Lv.60 boost on the HW job I actually want to play.

Jolkien

Are Warrior viable at the start of an expansion or a tankier tank is better ? Thinking about going Warrior this time instead of my scholar but I haven't played in a long time,I know warrior do quite a bit of damage while tanking but are they more suited to content on farm ? I guess they should be fine ?

Oh, it seems like BRD might no longer have Flaming Arrow. Can't say I'll miss it because I'm not a fan of ground targets and it was hard to use it properly in fights with a lot of movement but I wonder what does that mean for AoE
Are Warrior viable at the start of an expansion or a tankier tank is better ? Thinking about going Warrior this time instead of my scholar but I haven't played in a long time,I know warrior do quite a bit of damage while tanking but are they more suited to content on farm ? I guess they should be fine ?
You'll be fine

Torquill

Two random thoughts:

I don't know if it's THE reason, but starting the new jobs at 60 would exacerbate the immenent DPS queue issue. By starting at 50 you leverage people who are not willing to level 10 levels before starting the Main Scenario. For example, if RDM started at 60 I would play thru Heavensward as RDM. Since it starts at 50, and doing the main story immediately is my number one priority, I will play thru as PLD instead and level RDM after.

This doesn't SOLVE the issue, but I do thing it will mitigate it (at least in 60+ duties) by a meaningful amount.

Moaradin

When is a good time to get some Feast matches? I'm trying to finish up the Garo gear but every time I try to do some PVP, I'd wait like 40 minutes and never find a match. Hopefully I can finish this up before Stormblood comes out. I only need like 2 more :(

kromeo

DPS queue times for the 50-60 dungeons are going to be obscene for a while. I remember the week ninja came out I think sat in the queue for Sastasha for like 2 hours before I gave up

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
DPS queue times for the 50-60 dungeons are going to be obscene for a while. I remember the week ninja came out I think sat in the queue for Sastasha for like 2 hours before I gave up
DPS queue times for 50-60 dungeons? That's what Deep Dungeon is for!

Starting to realize the Tales of Adventure Potions might be aimed at me. Enjoying WHM/Thaumaturge etc atm, just trying out things besides Dragoon while I wait for SB (I would like to try more Alexander to maybe get higher iLvl gear but my sole FFXIV playing friend is burnt out on it) but I don't have the willpower to grind POTD for dozens of runs, or farm dungeons etc.

But then I dislike the Boost in WoW because I feel it stops someone from "knowing" their class....sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom