• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Now that I'm re-subbed and in game I can't decide if I want to do HW quests on my SMN or level lower level classes to 30+ so I actually have stuff like Dragoon and Bard unlocked next week.

duckroll

How long does it take to go from lvl 50 to 60?

Are we talking about the first job while playing through the story, or just pure grinding for a second job? For the former it varies greatly, but mostly doesn't matter that much compared to the time you're putting in to play through the game as it is. For the latter, I guess just... grind PotD? Lol.

Are we talking about the first job while playing through the story, or just pure grinding for a second job? For the former it varies greatly, but mostly doesn't matter that much compared to the time you're putting in to play through the game as it is. For the latter, I guess just... grind PotD? Lol.
Just wondering how long it takes to get to the point where I'm ready for stormblood. I have a level 50 dragoon from the base game I played

duckroll

Just wondering how long it takes to get to the point where I'm ready for stormblood. I have a level 50 dragoon from the base game I played

Your concern shouldn't be the level, but rather having to finish HW to get to SB. I play dragoon too, but by the time I finished all the 2.55 content and got into HW I was about lvl55. I think HW only took about 50 hours to complete. but now I'm on 3.x content (which you also need to get through before SB). If you haven't done any of the 2.x content either, might wanna add another 15-25 hours to that.

12 hours of potd run from floor 50-60 is what i've heard

Yeah but if he only has base game quests completed, it's going to take much longer and PotD doesn't even matter. Lol.

Your concern shouldn't be the level, but rather having to finish HW to get to SB. I play dragoon too, but by the time I finished all the 2.55 content and got into HW I was about lvl55. I think HW only took about 50 hours to complete. but now I'm on 3.x content (which you also need to get through before SB). If you haven't done any of the 2.x content either, might wanna add another 15-25 hours to that.

Well shit lol. No idea it would be that time consuming. I figured it would be similar to WoW.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Fates it is then until I get more leve allowance, gonna focus on that til I get my first Chocobo. Should make traveling so much better after.

I haven't even touched crafting yet, any advice there? Should I wait til later? Just trying to focus on leveling first, but if crafting will help with that...

Edit: btw thanks again to all that answer my (and others) newbie questions. There's a lot of us jumping into this in anticipation of SB so you all have probably noticed a big uptick in noob questions and stuff and I'm sure I speak for all of us in saying we appreciate the tips and guidance!

Also, super sweet to see such activity in here. The Morrowind ESO thread only has like a handful of replies per day it was kinda disheartening. But this one, way more activity and excitement going on up in here
It’s a huge time and gil sink. I’d give it a try to see if you like it, but it really won’t help you much with progressing through the main story quest.

If you stick with it, the very least it’ll do is make repairs easier. You can repair your endgame gear, even inside dungeons, when your crafter classes are at lv cap. If you really stick with it and bother gearing up your crafting class to make the higher end stuff, you can make gear to sell on the mb or for yourself to wear.

Just finished my last bit of prep for leveling my SAM. Have about 20 Lv.59 quests stocked for immediate turn in (43k+ each, so saving those to turn in at lv.60).

The days are starting to feel longer the closer we get to next week.
Also, does anyone know if scripture's will be removed and items shifted to using poetics at launch?
If so do we know if there will be trade/swap for Rowena's Tokens (I have saved up 10 extra poetic ones along with scripture to be on the safe side)?
Scripture and lore are both getting removed and the stuff sold for those currencies will get shifted over to poetics. I don’t know how Rowenas Tokens are gonna work.

LowParry

Scripture and lore are both getting removed and the stuff sold for those currencies will get shifted over to poetics. I don’t know how Rowenas Tokens are gonna work.

That's actually a good point on saving up on getting a ilvl 270 weapon for SAM/RDM. Will those tokens go away?

Average of all your gear. It’s what’s used at lv cap to continue progression. if you’ve ever played Destiny, ilv is your Light lv. Lv 50 gear caps at around ilv 130 and lv 60 gear caps at 270.

ilv doesn’t really come into play until you’ve reached a lv cap (50 for ARR stuff, 60 for HW, etc...) so I wouldnt worry about it right now if I were you. Also as a heads up if you’re away from the game, you can check your ilv for the class you logged of as on lodestone.

There’s no built in voice chat in game. Think most places use discord for it, there’s apps for it on the app stores. If you’re in the Ultros GAF fc, the message that pops on when you log in has our discord link.
Ahhh now I'm on the same page and my guess that I didn't need to worry about it until lvl 50 was true haha I'll bug you guys again when I finish ARR and am at 50, don't want to worry too much about high level gear at this point in the game unless I need to get an early start on hoarding something which I don't think is the case. Thanks for the explanation!

Cool, nice to know I can check stuff when away. Wonder if it's blocked at work ;P

I should be on Ultros and will join the GAF FC as soon as I'm able (is it certain I can't while on free trial?). Bummer that there's no in game chat, you'd think they'd add that for dungeons due to the cross play. How are us PS4 guys supposed to talk to you PC folk? Unless there's a discord app on PSN? I thought it was only for PC but never looked into it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
With new zones being the place where stuff is happening, do I still need to put the time/effort into finding all these aethershits in every HW zone for flying?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
With new zones being the place where stuff is happening, do I still need to put the time/effort into finding all these aethershits in every HW zone for flying?

I would be shocked if some quests didn't require backtracking. Get them. You never know when you'll need to be there again.

iammeiam

Adding to the list of things I think FFXIV would benefit from stealing from WoW, the pre-expansion world events are pretty neat. Before Legion they had 'invasions' that would take over a map zone until people killed stuff (basically a FATE spread over an entire zone; due to their phasing tech they could have a zone be invaded but as soon as you 'cleared' that invasion it'd be normal until the next time the zone was invaded); it was possible to abuse these for super fast leveling (1-100 in less than 10 hours if you did it right, and less than that if you had Refer-a-Friend XP boost) and the event dropped high iLevel gear so you'd hit 100 and immediately be geared enough to start the expansion. They increased the frequency of the invasions the closer you got to expansion launch. They're temporary, once the expansion launched they were gone, but it the events give a good feeling of the world in general changing as the story moves.

I get that there are technical limitations that make this problematic for XIV, and their main story structure would make it awkward (WoW just kind of leaves it all optional and you can experience it out-of-sequence or skip everything prior to the current expansion and it's fine), but Scourge invasions or the Legion invading or Deathwing randomly flying over zones and incinerating everyone were neat flavor pieces. The end of 1.x has always seemed really cool, but there's the unspoken knowledge they can't do anything that drastically alters the world anymore because it would break ARR. And the loot piñata beats the XIV implementation, where completing HW after SB launches will reward better gear than completing it in time to be ready for SB.

There's a really good chance job quests and stuff will send you back there. Might as well get them now.

duckroll

If you are max lvl and when the xpac unlocks you are given a quest to go to the new zone. Maybe it hasn't always been like that but that is how I remember it being from the past few xpacs.

Huh, that's an interesting approach. But how does it handle that storywise? I mean, if you have unfinished prior story quests, how does it jump? Or are the expansion zone scenarios completely self-contained?

Huh, that's an interesting approach. But how does it handle that storywise? I mean, if you have unfinished prior story quests, how does it jump? Or are the expansion zone scenarios completely self-contained?

Self contained I believe but I'm not the best person to ask as I only really play the game when new xpacs release or have an urge to play.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
That's actually a good point on saving up on getting a ilvl 270 weapon for SAM/RDM. Will those tokens go away?
Went to mor dhona to see what they did with the old tokens and the vendor still has the soldiery one along with the poetics one for 50/60 poetics. Guessing something similar will happen when SB hits, lore/scripture tokens sold for 70/80 poetics.

Omnicent

Yeah. 6 hours in POTD to get the new classes up to snuff is what I've heard quoted

That's for 10 minute runs. If you PUG good luck with that. Most pugs are around 15 minutes, so you are looking at the medium time from the PoTD exp chart on reddit.

yami4ct

That's for 10 minute runs. If you PUG good luck with that. Most pugs are around 15 minutes, so you are looking at the medium time from the PoTD exp chart on reddit.

Then that'd be 9 hours, still a far cry from 12. A long time for sure, but still

duckroll

Self contained I believe but I'm not the best person to ask as I only really play the game when new xpacs release or have an urge to play.

I see. I haven't played WoW since vanilla. FFXIV is designed as one huge ongoing linear story though, so every expansion, and the post-expansion patch content, are like TV seasons. Everything in the main scenario builds on things before, there are cliffhangers, twists, character deaths, new characters introduced who become much more important later, etc.

Chille

I did it! woooo take several attempts, challenge 14 was the most annoying

DBma6aBWsAAWFYO.jpg

and got the Barding for it

DBma5sLXkAAoIkm.jpg

iammeiam

The closest I can get is that World of Warcraft actually tries to build a dynamic world, while FFXIV is more interested in making you the hero of your own story. Barring another Cataclysm-style world revamp, expansion zones exist in their own little stasis bubbles. So if you go to Outland from the first expansion, you can go play through all that stuff and see it. If you don't and just go on to Wrath of the Lich King, all the lore stuff that happened during Burning Crusade is taken as having happened whether you were there or not. Cataclysm went back and reworked the overworld to include changes from the first two expansions. Pandaria sent you off to a secluded mystery land, but the end of Pandaria directly sets up the Draenor expansion which takes place in like... an alternate past version of the zone from Burning Crusade or something. The end of that helps set up what's going on now in Legion.

It's one big story arc, with massive cliffhangers and a decent body count, but they accept that people aren't going to want to play through every expansion to get to the new one, so you can accept feeder quests and go off and experience the story, or you can just skip to the latest thing and then go back if you're bored. The quests within the expansion will rely on each other, but they don't mandate you having seen everything that happened prior. But in the 'main' cities, Stuff Happened. If a major character dies or quits or vanishes, they're gone. You may not have seen the story explanation for why, but the world moved on. It's helped in part because WoW doesn't really do the whole "You are The Special" thing quite as much; the Warrior of Light is this massive MacGuffin that can't really change anything but nothing happens without them but there's no real lore stuff that requires the MC in WoW.

It's also a bigger deal for WoW because if you want to run alts you don't want to have to slog through a bunch of quests for the Nth time.

The closest I can get is that World of Warcraft actually tries to build a dynamic world, while FFXIV is more interested in making you the hero of your own story. Barring another Cataclysm-style world revamp, expansion zones exist in their own little stasis bubbles. So if you go to Outland from the first expansion, you can go play through all that stuff and see it. If you don't and just go on to Wrath of the Lich King, all the lore stuff that happened during Burning Crusade is taken as having happened whether you were there or not. Cataclysm went back and reworked the overworld to include changes from the first two expansions. Pandaria sent you off to a secluded mystery land, but the end of Pandaria directly sets up the Draenor expansion which takes place in like... an alternate past version of the zone from Burning Crusade or something. The end of that helps set up what's going on now in Legion.

It's one big story arc, with massive cliffhangers and a decent body count, but they accept that people aren't going to want to play through every expansion to get to the new one, so you can accept feeder quests and go off and experience the story, or you can just skip to the latest thing and then go back if you're bored. The quests within the expansion will rely on each other, but they don't mandate you having seen everything that happened prior. But in the 'main' cities, Stuff Happened. If a major character dies or quits or vanishes, they're gone. You may not have seen the story explanation for why, but the world moved on. It's helped in part because WoW doesn't really do the whole "You are The Special" thing quite as much; the Warrior of Light is this massive MacGuffin that can't really change anything but nothing happens without them but there's no real lore stuff that requires the MC in WoW.

It's also a bigger deal for WoW because if you want to run alts you don't want to have to slog through a bunch of quests for the Nth time.
Yeah WoW is easy to pick up and play the new content and it's quite quick to lvl alts. Now I'm second guessing if I should buy stormblood since I'm fairly casual in my mmo playtime and had no idea how much stuff I'd have to go through just to get to stormblood. Actually I wonder how much stuff I need to do just to get to heavensward content now that I think about it lol.

duckroll

Yeah WoW is easy to pick up and play the new content and it's quite quick to lvl last. Now I'm second guessing if I should buy stormblood since I'm fairly casual in my mmo playtime and had no idea how much stuff I'd have to go through just to get to stormblood. Actually I wonder how much stuff I need to do just to get to heavensward content now that I think about it lol.

Where did you stop playing XIV?

Chille

Yeah WoW is easy to pick up and play the new content and it's quite quick to lvl last. Now I'm second guessing if I should buy stormblood since I'm fairly casual in my mmo playtime and had no idea how much stuff I'd have to go through just to get to stormblood. Actually I wonder how much stuff I need to do just to get to heavensward content now that I think about it lol.

Well SE has the item for you spend $25 to skip HW+ARR

duckroll

TBH I'm not even sure. It's been so long since I played. I just remember I'm lvl 50 dragoon

Well you could always pay 20 dollars and skip all the content if you have more money than time, and don't care about experiencing the story as it is intended. That'll get you to lvl60 with appropriate gear for Stomblood and mark all the quests as completed. Not sure if that would be fun for you though.

Squishy3

Well you could always pay 20 dollars and skip all the content if you have more money than time, and don't care about experiencing the story as it is intended. That'll get you to lvl60 with appropriate gear for Stomblood and mark all the quests as completed. Not sure if that would be fun for you though.
Well, I'd say it wouldn't be worth it since obviously the biggest grind is the parts where the MSQ leaves you lacking for EXP in 1-50. Additionally, he'd be able to try out Red Mage and Samurai right away since he's already level 50.

It feels like cheating to me lol. I enjoyed playing the base game. I don't mind skipping content for like an alt if I already played the content anyway.

iammeiam

Yeah WoW is easy to pick up and play the new content and it's quite quick to lvl last. Now I'm second guessing if I should buy stormblood since I'm fairly casual in my mmo playtime and had no idea how much stuff I'd have to go through just to get to stormblood. Actually I wonder how much stuff I need just to get to heavensward content now that I think about it lol.

Honestly? Don't decide on Stormblood yet. Depending on when in A Realm Reborn you quit, you might have a number of hours of post-game stuff to work through. Then you'll have the Heavensward leveling process, and the HW post-game content. If you hit 60 after SB hits, the HW quests should be updated to give out gear good enough to sidestep the ilvl gates so you'll have a fairly clean run to Stormblood. Then, once you're done with HW, you can decide if you want to leap into Stormblood or just take your time. Although if you have to buy a HW license you're probably better off just buying SB since HW will be bundled. The inverse WoW scenario on expac inclusion is weird.

XIV is a really, really good MMO to play casually because the entire experience is designed to be fairly consistent no matter when a player starts and there's enough of a focus on the solo story that if you just want to play it like a single-player game with a chatroom you can still get value out of it. The upside is that being late to the party doesn't really ruin the experience; the downside is once you're late there's a decent amount of work to catch up.

It's actually $50--$25 to skip the story, $25 to get to 60. Probably worth if rushing to be able to go through SB on launch with specific people, but if not taking the slow road won't hurt anything.

duckroll

It's actually $50--$25 to skip the story, $25 to get to 60. Probably worth if rushing to be able to go through SB on launch with specific people, but if not taking the slow road won't hurt anything.

Wait, wow, the Heavensward Jump Potion doesn't give you a character able to play Stormblood?! Hahahahaha.

duckroll

Looked on my profile..."Serving a greater cause 1" is highlighted?
EDIT: this is the last achievement I got
Mapping the Realm: Labyrinth of the Ancients

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1566835/

The last quest you got an achievement for is the first part of the Crystal Tower raid. It's optional content. There are two other parts to it. There is also a longass optional Bahamut raid. But you probably don't want to worry about those.

If you want to just power through the main scenario quests, 2.2 through 2.55 should take a few hours at least, if someone crafts you all the equipment you need to meet the ilvl requirements for the later dungeons and trials.

Most of 2.x are troll quests and a lot of talking to NPCs. With some Primal boss fights from time to time. Not super exciting. 2.4 is when it kicks into high gear for the story, and I would say HW's story officially starts there. Unfortunately no matter how I look at it, I don't see how one can catch up to Stormblood in less than 40-50 hours. And that's pretty short, compared to what ARR took!

Play 1-2 hours everyday on weekdays, play a ton of weekends, it's totally possible to catch up. I wouldn't consider that casual play though. I think if you want the launch experience, you can play Stormblood much more casually, but to get through HW you have to power through it like it's a real major JRPG you want to beat to move on to the next game. Haha.

Luminaire

The last quest you got an achievement for is the first part of the Crystal Tower raid. It's optional content. There are two other parts to it. There is also a longass optional Bahamut raid. But you probably don't want to worry about those.

If you want to just power through the main scenario quests, 2.2 through 2.55 should take a few hours at least, if someone crafts you all the equipment you need to meet the ilvl requirements for the later dungeons and trials.

Most of 2.x are troll quests and a lot of talking to NPCs. With some Primal boss fights from time to time. Not super exciting. 2.4 is when it kicks into high gear for the story, and I would say HW's story officially starts there. Unfortunately no matter how I look at it, I don't see how one can catch up to Stormblood in less than 40-50 hours. And that's pretty short, compared to what ARR took!

Play 1-2 hours everyday on weekdays, play a ton of weekends, it's totally possible to catch up. I wouldn't consider that casual play though. I think if you want the launch experience, you can play Stormblood much more casually, but to get through HW you have to power through it like it's a real major JRPG you want to beat to move on to the next game. Haha.

Pretty much this.

Heavensward is essentially a full-fledged JRPG, then add in all the patches and content afterwards. If I were you, I'd just take it easy and roll through it at your own pace. No need to race to Stormblood right away unless you're crazy itchin' to play SAM/RDM. Focusing on downing the ARR content should keep you occupied, and with many people starting at 50 with SAM/RDM, there should be a lot of dungeon grinding going on and parties to find...though it may be tipped heavily due to all the DPS.

duckroll

Oh one more thing. Since you're playing Dragoon, as a fellow Dragoon all I can say is... Stormblood is going to make us the BESTEST. <3

suzu

Yeah WoW is easy to pick up and play the new content and it's quite quick to lvl alts. Now I'm second guessing if I should buy stormblood since I'm fairly casual in my mmo playtime and had no idea how much stuff I'd have to go through just to get to stormblood. Actually I wonder how much stuff I need to do just to get to heavensward content now that I think about it lol.

Since you're casual with playtime, I wouldn't bother with Stormblood until you're finished with ARR catchup. After that you can get SB and play through HW (since it's also included with every edition of SB) or buy a jump item if you want to skip it.

As for the new jobs.. Samurai and Red Mage also start at level 50 and only requires having SB and a single job at 50. So you could play as those jobs in HW if you like.

Luminaire

Oh one more thing. Since you're playing Dragoon, as a fellow Dragoon all I can say is... Stormblood is going to make us the BESTEST. <3

While I don't main or really play DRG anymore, I can say it's probably the class that got the most attention and sensible evolution throughout the entirety of FFXIV. They fixed almost everything that was wrong with it and just continue to make it a great class to have in your party. DRGs used to be a joke, now they're a strong part of the meta.

B.K.

Finally 10/10 on runes. The Lux step shouldn't be too bad, but I'm a bit concerned about doing Sephirot, Sophia, and Zurvan. I've never done them, so I'm a bit worried about doing the normal versions of them.

Luminaire

Finally 10/10 on runes. The Lux step shouldn't be too bad, but I'm a bit concerned about doing Sephirot, Sophia, and Zurvan. I've never done them, so I'm a bit worried about doing the normal versions of them.

Normals are cake. Seph, Soph, and Zurvan are some of the more mechanically intense primals, so you might wanna study up on the EX ones if you try to do them. Many groups disband on Zurvan if you can't skip a mechanic called Soar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom