• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

No reason to not fit in 2 gekis as that's fairly straight forward, it's throwing in the 3rd without dropping that sucks. Well, no longer an issue. Yay. Now we just need to learn how to get all our Nostrands in during LOTD.

scy

I really don't understand why DRG players would want Geirskogul to shave off time from BOTD back lol

DRG is my raid alt that I almost never actually alt raid with and I totally just chose this for STR loot priority but I think people may have simply expected the timers to loosen up a bit to make 3 easier to achieve with no possibility of a 4th per BotD? Still, I'd rather the idea of min/max accessing super mode stuff as opposed to min/max a timer so eh, I'm not too stressed at the change yet. Besides, the rotation was basically on-rails before anyway.

Confession: I have never used Geirskogul because it seems like too much of a pain.

Eh, it's not that bad really. Assuming you're not skipping 4th hits because 60 levels of muscle memory around the 8 step program and not 10 step, if you basically just used Geirskogul whenever BotD timer capped out you'd get 2 of the 3 in per rotation and never be close to risking it dropping.

Yam's

Speaking of Scion HQ, please for the love of god tell me there's a quicker way to get there. I can't believe the oversight of not having a crystal in the little outpost it's located at. It's a pain in the ass having to run over there every time I need to report and you have to do so often.

You can take the boat from Limsa (near the arcanist's guild) to get there a bit quicker.

SOLDIER

Is GMG still the cheapest place to get the digital CE for Stormblood (PC)?

Also thinking about using my BB reward points to get the standard edition for PS4. Did they mention anything about streamlining the PS4 controls further? I know they're cutting back on job abilities, so that might help.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't think it's all that difficult to "fix" the white mage, in theory, and to balance the three healing classes.

As healing classes, we have:

• White Mage - "big nuke" healer with no real mitigation skills or other utility
  • Scholar - pet healer with the best mitigation abilities
  • Astrologian - healer with the ability to both mitigate the damage party receives and increase the damage the party deals.
If you consider the calculated damage that a party can expect to receive during end-game raiding as being some number, then the healers need to combine to heal 100% of this number. Each of the three healers needs to be able to handle half of this amount in their own way, which would make any combination of two healers work. For example, broad strokes of this could be:

As the "big nuke healer" WHM should be designed to handle 50% of this amount with its heals.

SCH, between its pet and its own healing, should be designed to be able to heal 40% of this amount and mitigate 10% with its shields.

Noct AST should be able to heal 35% of this amount, mitigate 10% through shields and mitigate 5% by shortening the fight with its buffs. Diurnal AST should be able to heal 45% of the damage and mitigate 5% by shortening the fight with its buffs.​

Those are, as I said, just broad strokes of one way they could balance out the three healing classes, but SE needs to figure out what they want the classes to be before they can balance them out.

Luminaire

Is GMG still the cheapest place to get the digital CE for Stormblood (PC)?

Also thinking about using my BB reward points to get the standard edition for PS4. Did they mention anything about streamlining the PS4 controls further? I know they're cutting back on job abilities, so that might help.
I believe so. GMG has been good to me for all of my FFXIV purchases.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Tanks sharing gear is the best. I can just switch between my DRK and WAR whenever I want now that they're both lvl 60.

In other news, I may have to fork over the cash for another glamour crystal since my current leggings kind of clip through my armor.
You make it sound like Glamour Prsims are extremely expensive to buy from the Market Board.

Sylas

Have we EVER REALLY gotten a good design philosophy behind certain classes though? I feel like the best we've gotten is rough ideas of how they want to portray the class and less of how they want people to actually play the class. I can't recall a time where YoshiP and the team ever really sat down and ran through the specific goals they had in mind for classes by the set of skills and how they expected to synergize with other skills/classes.

Everything always seems to be left so open ended with regards to how they design classes, they get dropped in, we get shown some skill effects and it's up to the community to place them without any real regard for what the aim was. The whole MCH issue way back when was like the most obvious moment of the team going one way with expectations and the community going the complete opposite and having to try and correct themselves. I don't want classes to be pigeonholed by the team, but at the same time, like a run through of a class when introduced discussing each skill would be nice I guess idk.

This doesn't really address the entire post, but I know that most people are kinda spoiled by how open WoW is/was. The problem with that is some of the ex-WoW devs that openly talk about their time there is how much they regret that openness. It apparently prevented them from really changing up the class design without a MASSIVE backlash each and every time. While they learned to not really listen to the fans too much it did help create the absolutely toxic atmosphere that WoW became known for.

I think FFXIV is going with the idea that it's easier to course correct than be unable to come up with new ideas because your community is gonna shit itself anytime their class changes in a way they dislike or don't agree with. The WHM feedback is justified since it's not really a functional mechanic on paper, but it's more like the people calling for nerfs on paladin before the expansion is even out because warriors are the DPS tanks and that's all they should really be and they should always do the most damage and if it ever appears to be any other way then it's the end of the world.

Edzi

You make it sound like Glamour Prsims are extremely expensive to buy from the Market Board.

I'm cheap, and they're the most expensive thing I've had to buy in the game thus far. Still rubs me the wrong way that that's the only way for non crafters to glamour too.

iammeiam

I'm not sure any other MMO is as uncommunicative as XIV is; I'll just again point to the inviting a bunch of Press to see something and relay information to the masses. Like, it's not just that they don't tell us things as far in advance as Blizzard does, but that they don't feel compelled to put any context around the stuff they chose to show us.

Like, theyve had Q&A live letters. It would make so much sense to have had one scheduled for after the big media reveal to address whatever came up. But they generally only do Q&A about soft fluffy things, because combat systems are boring.

Those are, as I said, just broad strokes of one way they could balance out the three healing classes, but SE needs to figure out what they want the classes to be before they can balance them out.

It's not a bad idea in general but it doesn't really work with how damage in the game happens and the general level they tune around. They build some amount of margin for error into raids, and as soon as they introduce that margin the 50/50 split means somebody gets downtime. Add in gearing up week to week and the margin increases. The actual heal part matters less, and the everything else matters more. You also can't equate WHM's healing throughput with AST's mitigation creating shorter fights unless you design every encounter with a J-wave style mechanic at multiple points.

Like, if you have a raid-wife AOE sequence mid-fight that requires 100,000 HPS, with this a WHM could heal 50,000, a SCH could heal 40,000 and mitigate 10,000.... and a Diurnal AST could heal 45,000 and then watch as everyone dies.

As long as fights rely heavily on throughput checks with downtime between, every comp has to end up with sufficient healing to cover the worst spikes. and as long as every comp needs to be able to handle the worst damage moments, then a WHM powered by raw healing throughput just ends up with a lot of overheal. But I honestly don't think the WHM situation would seem so dire if the Lily stuff had done anything interactive instead of just randomly building stacks that spend themselves when you do stuff you'd have done without the Lily anyway.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm cheap, and they're the most expensive thing I've had to buy in the game thus far. Still rubs me the wrong way that that's the only way for non crafters to glamour too.
Wow you are cheap but I don't know if you're naturally cheap or you are currently cheap because you lack the Gill to spend.

Glamour prices are not the highest amount of Gill I spent on things before but I will say that I did make out like a bandit when all the Glamour Prism Grades were converted into one universal Glamour Prism Grade and I sold so many Glamour Prisms on the Market Board since I had so many on my retainers before the changes took place.

Oh I did a quick GIF edit to represent the situation that two people that I know found themselves in today:

DSms0PM.gif

And they were so eager to catch up with only 5 MSQ to go too lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Speaking of being cheap, I just spent 250,000 gil on a barding for a chocobo I never use and I felt like that was way too much.

I still have over 7 million gil.

aka_bueno

Speaking of being cheap, I just spent 250,000 gil on a barding for a chocobo I never use and I felt like that was way too much.

I still have over 7 million gil.

Can I have 250,000 Gil please? Thanks!

Nah jk I just started so I have no need for Gil, but I only have like 60k at the moment so 7 million just sounds insane :D

Anywho, day 5: im currently level 28.5 as of this morning before going to work. Dreading getting to level 30 cause my exp ring only works 1-30 and the leveling process is def slowing down.

I just really wanted to power through stuff but by reading your guys past few pages, there's just way too many MSQ to do it seems overwhelming. I really wanna try Red Mage and jump in with all the Stormblood hype, jumping in at an MMO expansion launch is a beautiful thing...I might just see how far I get from now to early access then just buy the damn jump potion and watch the cutscenes on YouTube or something. I want to be able to play with all ya'll and my buddy at launch

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Seriously considering leveling Red Mage first.

The more I watch it the more I want to play it over any tanks.

Yeah it looks pretty dope. Seems pretty simple to jump into but will take some practice to really master. I also want to check out mech changes. I actually liked Gauss barrel, but the changes coming look pretty interesting, and the effects for that flame attack are legit.

R0ckman

With the new Role abilities set for Stormblood, does that means as a Ninja, I lose Blood for Blood? Are cross class abilities gone entirely?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Like, if you have a raid-wife AOE sequence mid-fight that requires 100,000 HPS, with this a WHM could heal 50,000, a SCH could heal 40,000 and mitigate 10,000.... and a Diurnal AST could heal 45,000 and then watch as everyone dies.
As I said, those were just broad strokes and ignored things like healer DPS, which can also affect the viability of each class in the meta-game. Balancing the classes are obviously a lot more complicated than simply adjusting spell potency.

To address this bit though, you're ignoring the AST's ability to buff the party's damage output. If the AST continuously draws useless cards, then the party may be in a rough spot. But isn't that part of the point of the class? That there's an element of risk or luck in pulling the right card at the right time? Or managing your cards by royal roading and spreading cards to hold them for the right moment?

I think that underscores the key takeaway from all of this. Does SE want each class to be different or unique, or does it want them to be plug and play / interchangeable?
They build some amount of margin for error into raids, and as soon as they introduce that margin the 50/50 split means somebody gets downtime. Add in gearing up week to week and the margin increases. The actual heal part matters less, and the everything else matters more.
This is a great point, and I realize that mitigation, as an example, scales more effectively than simple healing power as tanks gear up since it's % based. Regardless, I don't think the natural increase in downtime that comes with gear progression is an insurmountable obstacle to overcome. More downtime from healing means more uptime for doing DPS. If you balance the WHM's DPS against the SCH's DPS and the AST's DPS + buffs, then gear progression shouldn't hurt the end-game viability of 1 class versus the others.

Not that any of that is simple or easy.

CLBridges

Seriously considering leveling Red Mage first.

The more I watch it the more I want to play it over any tanks.

I'm about in the same boat. It just really looks like it's gonna be fun. But, I'm just a little more hyped for new story/areas so my Bard will take priority. Definitely going to unlock both jobs during my downtime and do FATES or whatever with them.

Wow you are cheap but I don't know if you're naturally cheap or you are currently cheap because you lack the Gill to spend.

Glamour prices are not the highest amount of Gill I spent on things before but I will say that I did make out like a bandit when all the Glamour Prism Grades were converted into one universal Glamour Prism Grade and I sold so many Glamour Prisms on the Market Board since I had so many on my retainers before the changes took place.

Oh I did a quick GIF edit to represent the situation that two people that I know found themselves in today:

DSms0PM.gif

And they were so eager to catch up with only 5 MSQ to go too lol.

This is me right now.

Sitting at 218 ilvl trying to finish the MSQ before the expansion. I already spent 1.5 mil on 250 ilvl jewelry.

_BtB_

hmm any healers got any tips on doing the MSQ version of "the vault"? I tried it once healing as a whm and we could not get passed the 2nd boss in duty finder before the tank quit. I find myself casting cure II's quite a bit because the damage is insanely high. I can't even go to cleric stance to dps because of constant healing, plus not sure where to postion myself on the 2nd boss. most of the back room was filled with those black portal things that do high amount of damage and only place where I could go is near the front of the tank so I do not get pushed back into a portal and die. Looking for tips, thanks

Squishy3

DRG is my raid alt that I almost never actually alt raid with and I totally just chose this for STR loot priority but I think people may have simply expected the timers to loosen up a bit to make 3 easier to achieve with no possibility of a 4th per BotD? Still, I'd rather the idea of min/max accessing super mode stuff as opposed to min/max a timer so eh, I'm not too stressed at the change yet. Besides, the rotation was basically on-rails before anyway.
Dragoon optimization was also basically just gauging if you'd actually be able to land the 3 geirskoguls/min anyway or if the boss was going to jump away and you'd lose it (hello first cauterize in EX FSoF) and you just burn the 2 there since you'd have no chance of even maintaining it and BoTD is back up in time for the adds anyway.

Yikes,that means I also lose internal release, what did they do for Ninja to make up for this?
NIN got some potency buffs on basic abilities. Gust Slash and Aeolian Edge have 20 more potency each, Shadow Fang has one extra DoT tick - 40 extra potency - and DWD has 50 more potency per attack.

ebil

hmm any healers got any tips on doing the MSQ version of "the vault"? I tried it once healing as a whm and we could not get passed the 2nd boss in duty finder before the tank quit. I find myself casting cure II's quite a bit because the damage is insanely high. I can't even go to cleric stance to dps because of constant healing, plus not sure where to postion myself on the 2nd boss. most of the back room was filled with those black portal things that do high amount of damage and only place where I could go is near the front of the tank so I do not get pushed back into a portal and die. Looking for tips, thanks
Positioning is very important in this boss fight. The boss creates the black portals by targeting a random party member with its red line AOE (Hyperdimensional Slash), so you can "bait" the portals spawn by pre-positioning yourself. He does this twice a row, and then uses Faith Unmoving, which is a room wide knockback relative to the middle. When this happens, make sure that you're positioned in a way that will have you knocked back towards a safe wall. As you probably know, the portals deal moderate ticking damage when you're close to them (this is indicated by a tether between the player and the portal), and puts a stack of vulnerability up with each damage tick. Also, never stand in front of this boss as he does a frontal cleave every now and again.

Last piece of advice would be to check out your gear and make sure your weapon especially is up to date. This dungeon shouldn't be terribly hard to heal if you're properly geared as long as the mechanics are being executed properly. A lot of people suck at it and will take avoidable damage so don't get discouraged.

Yam's

This dungeon can be quite hard if the tank is undergeared (and as there's no ilv requirement...). Last time I did it I couldn't go much into cleric stance either, except for bosses being at around 120 ilv.

As for the 2nd boss, ideally everyone has to stand as a single line during the ground aoe that leads to red spheres. This will make sure they're all put into the same place and this will let you move freely around the rest of the room. If everyone stands on a different side during that attack, you will get spheres everywhere and there isn't much you can do about it.

When you'll get to the 3rd boss, try to always stay far from the rest of the dps. You will get chained with one of them and they usually fail to move quickly in order to break it.

iammeiam

Here is my terrible Vault strat: if the PUG DPS kept dropping void puddles on the boss and everyone was bad at positioning, I'd just run in and eat them to clear the floor. Damage from the boss himself is pretty low so I had a lot of downtime, and by picking a time to pop the puddles I could Esuna myself and heal up, and not have to worry about the tank unintentionally blowing one up, or something.

I also tended to stand on everyone for the third boss so I had the most room to run to break the thing, but he got nerfed or something because I remember the OoM struggle in early HW and now he just kind of falls over.

To address this bit though, you're ignoring the AST's ability to buff the party's damage output. If the AST continuously draws useless cards, then the party may be in a rough spot. But isn't that part of the point of the class? That there's an element of risk or luck in pulling the right card at the right time? Or managing your cards by royal roading and spreading cards to hold them for the right moment?

I'm not so much ignoring it as pointing out that it doesn't matter for a ton of the heal checks in the game. I referenced J-Wave because it's one of the few times in the game you can directly map Balance to decreasing the need for healing throughput. Something similar works for the A12S Almost Holy adds, but doesn't really work for something like A11S Whirlwind or DPS Photon into Whirlwind in prog. DPS can decrease the overall total healing needed, but for the most part MP attrition via raw healing shouldn't be a problem, so everyone still has to be able to heal enough to survive pretty much anything that happens unless the only real healchecks come at the end of the fight. But for most part, the way healing works means any comp needs to be able to do sufficient burst healing/mitigation for the heavy-hitting mid fight stuff which ultimately devalues the throughput advantage in a lot of situations. They could change up encounter design to address this, or something.

I think that underscores the key takeaway from all of this. Does SE want each class to be different or unique, or does it want them to be plug and play / interchangeable?

Both, I think. it's weird whenever they try it--see physical ranged gaining and losing caster stance together.

This is a great point, and I realize that mitigation, as an example, scales more effectively than simple healing power as tanks gear up since it's % based. Regardless, I don't think the natural increase in downtime that comes with gear progression is an insurmountable obstacle to overcome. More downtime from healing means more uptime for doing DPS. If you balance the WHM's DPS against the SCH's DPS and the AST's DPS + buffs, then gear progression shouldn't hurt the end-game viability of 1 class versus the others.

Not that any of that is simple or easy.

I don't mean to imply that I think it's impossible, just largely that they have to give WHM something beyond pure healer to keep them competetive--WHM won't ever even be the best solo-healer as designed due to their inability to mitigate. They're basically constrained by flexibility.

It's also not that I think they're non-viable; barring the crit buff loss, WHM's probably not even a massive downgrade from Scholar because AST as is crazy OP in what we've seen. It's more that the new mechanics they gave WHM are just really, really bad. They didn't just not bring them all the way up to snuff, they gave them a custom job gauge that tracks something not very interactive and mostly useless. If lilies turned into insanely OP healbombs to be detonated on command, or something, I think the reception is better even though a lot of the base issues remain. It's just the not fixing the meta problem + incredibly underwhelming new core mechanic = rabblerabblerabble.

Luminaire

It took me a year and change to realize the Antitower is
upside down.

My excuse is I'm too busy stabbing things to take in the sights.
Try teleporting back to the start of a dungeon and walking back through it sometime. Sometimes you see some pretty neat stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom