• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ala Alba

Some thoughts on RDM and BLM...

For RDM, you should be able to get a minimum of 5 gcds in between Flare/Holy. If you start at 100/100 mana and a (for example) VerStone Ready proc, you can melee combo, VerFlare, VerStone (1 gcd), VerAero (1 gcd), Manafication, melee combo(3 gcds), VerHoly.

I'm not sure how useful that will be, given Embolden's decay, though.

For BLM, unless I'm mistaken you should be able to have Foul ready for the start of every fight in an instance. The first fight is a little difficult, though, because you have to load into the instance in <13 seconds in order to start the instance with Enochian up, but I was able to get into a Void Ark with Umbral Ice still running, so it's possible.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I only have 10 million. I can't even afford popoto toast for brunch every weekend.

Malick[AI];239413065 said:
This is me right now.

Sitting at 218 ilvl trying to finish the MSQ before the expansion. I already spent 1.5 mil on 250 ilvl jewelry.

do PvP for a few matches, get ilvl 230 gear!

My friend's mom does nothing but craft for her guild and whatnot. I believe she's got over 100mil gil atm x.x

yami4ct

I have 700k gill. Talk about poor.

My guild has a few million saved up for a house, but that was all a friend of mine's doing.

Aeana

I've had the same amount of money ever since Yennaiv quit and left me some of his savings. I've never actually made very much money in this game outside of what you get when you level and a few lucky trades on the market board. (._. )

_BtB_

thanks for the tips "Ebil & Yam's & iammeiam" will recheck gear and see if I can complete it later, after fishing :p
and maybe look at some youtube vids and look at boss moves online somewhere and figure things from there.

as for gil, quite of the old world crafting/gathering quests require you to bring a certain HQ item back to complete quest. see how much that item is worth and farm/make it. Also grand company crafting/gathering turn ins for the day can net you some gil if you craft/gather at the level you are at then sell. Keep in mind HQ give more xp and sell for more.

I could probably make a lot of money if I just turned off my brain and go into gold farming mode gathering all day. I spent so much money leveling my crafters. They're almost all 60...I don't wanna imagine 70.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also what is the deal with the red mage spell names? Is the "ver" prefix a thing from rdm in past FF games?

Like their version of black mage ra/ga suffixes?

Also what is the deal with the red mage spell names? Is the "ver" prefix a thing from rdm in past FF games?

As far as I know in past FF games red mages just cast the same black or white magic as the other mages, just with a more limited repertoire. I imagine they added the "Ver-" prefix to differentiate the spells since RDM's spells are actually nothing like their BLM or WHM counterparts in this game.

I plan to main RDM, and look forward to it, but this rendition actually isn't anything like previous incarnations. It's supposed to be a hybrid mage but this job might as well just cast "Red magic" because all of their spells are unique in function except for Vercure and Veraise

IvorB

I really wish Stormblood was out, like, tomorrow. I unexpectedly have a lot of free time right now and could really play the sh*t out of it. Maybe if I tweet Yoshida...

Foxxsoxx

I really wish Stormblood was out, like, tomorrow. I unexpectedly have a lot of free time right now and could really play the sh*t out of it. Maybe if I tweet Yoshida...

Same @_@

I have a few days off work and I have no idea what to do in 14 until then.

I keep trying to level up classes but I know I'm just going to end up playing sam or RM.

Luminaire

Same @_@

I have a few days off work and I have no idea what to do in 14 until then.

I keep trying to level up classes but I know I'm just going to end up playing sam or RM.
You should make sure you have leveling gear for them. i130 should carry you til 56, then you'll need gear to 60. i270 should carry you to 65 if it's like HW progression. You could also gather materials for the weapons, though it might be a bit of a guessing game. Tomes might be the best way for weapons. Maybe stock up on GC deals.

yami4ct

I still have a couple of alternate jobs I want to get to 60 before SB so I'm happy it isn't hitting too soon.Have gotten both DRK and AST to their 40s now. A few days of diligent grinding should easily get them to 60 before SB.

aka_bueno

I knew there had to be a shortcut of sorts, thank you!

This helps a lot, I'm currently at a point where every other quest is to travel back and forth to there. Ever since like getting to level 25, all my quests are like talk to this fucker on the other side of the continent, then I talk to that person and he has something to give back to the other dude who sent me here.

I'm almost level 30 but these MSQs need to start getting better soon lol

Finally got a 4th member ready to power level to 70 as soon as EA starts. I hope logging in isn't going to be awful. Too bad Balmung is gonna be a shit show for about a good 2 weeks.

All I can remember from last expansion are the super quick AFK boot timers and the ungodly queue lines. I hope it doesn't last longer than two weeks.

Foxxsoxx

This helps a lot, I'm currently at a point where every other quest is to travel back and forth to there. Ever since like getting to level 25, all my quests are like talk to this fucker on the other side of the continent, then I talk to that person and he has something to give back to the other dude who sent me here.

They will... eventually...

Eventually...

iammeiam

There's going to be a point where it seems like shit is getting real and then you will hit one of the most infamous bad stretches of quests in the game. Treat it like an endurance run. You can survive this!

Finally got a 4th member ready to power level to 70 as soon as EA starts. I hope logging in isn't going to be awful. Too bad Balmung is gonna be a shit show for about a good 2 weeks.
You say that like we aren't used to it. I wonder if other servers still get the "queue is full" warning every time they get on no matter the time of day like we do.

Apoptomon

Useless lore tidbit: there's no aetheryte in Vesper Bay (but there is a big Lolorito statue) is basically a middle-finger to the Scions and all their associates (i.e. you) erected by Ul Dah syndicate because the Scions refused to play the syndicate's games.

On an unrelated note, I'd have much more money if vendors sold leveling accessories as well as gear...

I need to level up my gatherers and crafters, but I don't think I would be able to stand it.

Gathering is easy, but monotonous. Crafting is fun, but expensive if you're lazy and don't want to go out gathering stuff. Plus your inventory space will be nonexistent if you're leveling them all up at once, which is highly recommended.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I need to level up my gatherers and crafters, but I don't think I would be able to stand it.

At the very least, make sure you do the Ixali daily quests. They don't usually take long and can make slow but stead progresses.

Also, the GC daily turn ins help a lot. If you're not willing to craft the items, at least do the gathering ones. Go out and gather however many of whatever they ask for and make sure it's HQ stuff fora 2x exp bonus.

I could have sworn the past handful of years I heard ARR's story was great and the game was amazing after the first launch but now everyone says it's a slog until Heavensward pretty much ;p Well, the novelty of a FF MMO will see me through and then it will likely hit every note for me if the story gets as good as I hear eventually. I can't wait to switch from a Pugilist to a Samurai. God knows how long it will take to hit level 50 tho.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Some thoughts on RDM and BLM...

For RDM, you should be able to get a minimum of 5 gcds in between Flare/Holy. If you start at 100/100 mana and a (for example) VerStone Ready proc, you can melee combo, VerFlare, VerStone (1 gcd), VerAero (1 gcd), Manafication, melee combo(3 gcds), VerHoly.

I'm not sure how useful that will be, given Embolden's decay, though.

For BLM, unless I'm mistaken you should be able to have Foul ready for the start of every fight in an instance. The first fight is a little difficult, though, because you have to load into the instance in <13 seconds in order to start the instance with Enochian up, but I was able to get into a Void Ark with Umbral Ice still running, so it's possible.

Zoning cleanses most job gauges so I can't imagine they won't take away Polyglot just so that speedrunners don't feel obligated to rezone every time they wipe

Luminaire

I could have sworn the past handful of years I heard ARR's story was great and the game was amazing after the first launch but now everyone says it's a slog until Heavensward pretty much ;p Well, the novelty of a FF MMO will see me through and then it will likely hit every note for me if the story gets as good as I hear eventually. I can't wait to switch from a Pugilist to a Samurai. God knows how long it will take to hit level 50 tho.

2.0 has dips because it's stretched over 50 levels so there is some filler.

2.X is much better, and gets even better with 3.0 and 3.X.

Of course, this is realized after going through 2.X, 3.0, and 3.X and having something better to now compare it to.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Woo lvl 54. I might just hit 60 before early access yet.

BTW my name in game is Arkanix Karzik. I haven't played in months so I figured it's worth mentioning. I'm still in the gaf guild on Ultros.

2.0 has dips because it's stretched over 50 levels so there is some filler.

2.X is much better, and gets even better with 3.0 and 3.X.

Of course, this is realized after going through 2.X, 3.0, and 3.X and having something better to now compare it to.

It's all good, still having fun with the game and knowing it will only get better is a nice driving force. I just wish I started sooner so I could be ready to jump in the expansion with you guys but I'm sure there will be plenty of activity still going on when I finally get there. It helps that story is my primary reason for playing the game so there isn't a desire to skip the plot to get to a new zone or anything like that.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Maps of the new zones: http://m.imgur.com/a/gY9fx

lOIboBv.jpg

Luminaire

It's all good, still having fun with the game and knowing it will only get better is a nice driving force. I just wish I started sooner so I could be ready to jump in the expansion with you guys but I'm sure there will be plenty of activity still going on when I finally get there. It helps that story is my primary reason for playing the game so there isn't a desire to skip the plot to get to a new zone or anything like that.

I think you'll enjoy it. It's a treat for FF fans with how much stuff they pull in. I never realized how much FFV was in this game until I played FFV recently. They're bringing in even more. No need to rush to the expansion though, it'll be here and patches typically take 3-4 months to hit anyways. By the time you're completely caught up, most things will still be very relevant.

Ala Alba

Zoning cleanses most job gauges so I can't imagine they won't take away Polyglot just so that speedrunners don't feel obligated to rezone every time they wipe

I guess it depends if they change Umbral Ice/Astral Fire from a buff to a "gauge" (however that works mechanically). As it is, you just zone in with Umbral Ice/Astral Fire, then activate Enochian, transpose dance for 30 seconds, and then you have Polyglot.

Assuming that Enochian and Polyglot aren't buffs, which I believe they are. We'll find out next week, I guess.

Squishy3

Also don't remember anyone talking about this but in the I think Easy Allies footage it shows the new meters have Active Help windows to go along with them. So I'd imagine stuff like the BOTD and Enochian meters' active help windows also kind of explain those mechanics. :p

erawsd

I spent the last week going through 2.1-2.5 and I thought the story itself was pretty good. The actual quest design is what makes it a slog since 90% of it is just going from one end of the world to another and back talking to NPCs.

Yeah it looks pretty dope. Seems pretty simple to jump into but will take some practice to really master. I also want to check out mech changes. I actually liked Gauss barrel, but the changes coming look pretty interesting, and the effects for that flame attack are legit.

Yeah, and it uses procs with good chances for activation so your rotation isn't the exact same every time. I really like the novelty of casting and then going in for a melee combo.

I really want to play SAM, I kinda like Tanking, but need a rest from it.I just wanna hit stuff without caring about party and all.

I'm sort of getting that feeling as well. Plus I've been up in the air regarding the three tanks so it might be a good idea to level something else first then maybe level a backup tank later once the dust settles.

did you fiddle around with the real time simulator?

It scratches that storm blood itch while waiting for the 16th.

I read about that before but haven't tried it yet. I'll give it a go tonight, thanks.

I'm about in the same boat. It just really looks like it's gonna be fun. But, I'm just a little more hyped for new story/areas so my Bard will take priority. Definitely going to unlock both jobs during my downtime and do FATES or whatever with them.

That's the trade off I suppose. If I do PotD non stop I may be able to get it to 60 on day one of EA.

I remember someone worked out the math for PotD but I can't find the reddit thread right now.

Ala Alba

I remember someone worked out the math for PotD but I can't find the reddit thread right now.

I can't find the thread with the math either, but other threads are saying 39 runs with 100% armory bonus, which sounds like what I remember.

Assuming 12 minute runs on the fast end and 15 minute runs on the slow end, that's 8-10 hours of grinding.

I'm thinking of putting together some kind of googledoc for scheduling if a bunch of other people are planning on grinding it straight away.

duckroll

As someone who only joined in the game a few months ago, and who did so entirely because friends have been recommending it for the story and world, here's my take.

ARR is not a "slog" or I would have just bailed out instead of finishing it. I don't like wasting my time on a game if I don't think it's going anywhere. There are parts of FFXIV (even in HW) which are a bit annoying, but it's stuff that goes with the territory of a game. It's not a 10/10 perfect game experience, but in ARR the story started off by making me interested in the world setting, and then got more and more exciting along the way until it hits a snag for a bit due to filler content, and then gets super interesting again. It's definitely worthy of being a numbered FF. The content after ARR in terms of story just gets better and better so in retrospect people might feel that ARR could have been even better paced. That's all. The fact is though, the story gets better and better because they are now free to explore grander ideas and scenarios with a lot of world building and the foundation of many long lasting plot threads established. Without that the events unfolding later on wouldn't have the same impact.

I've had the same amount of money ever since Yennaiv quit and left me some of his savings. I've never actually made very much money in this game outside of what you get when you level and a few lucky trades on the market board. (._. )

The up side is money is useless in the game unless you buy a house or do glamours all the time.

You should NOT buy a house unless you plan to stay continuously subbed. You've been warned.

I can't find the thread with the math either, but other threads are saying 39 runs with 100% armory bonus, which sounds like what I remember.

Assuming 12 minute runs on the fast end and 15 minute runs on the slow end, that's 8-10 hours of grinding.

I'm thinking of putting together some kind of googledoc for scheduling if a bunch of other people are planning on grinding it straight away.

Is that from just running 51-60 or doing full 51-100 runs?

Might be iffy getting 12-15 minute runs on the later floors.

If it's 51-60 I can easily see that.

B.K.

I'm on my last three Primals for my Lux Anima weapon. I'm about to try Sephirot for the first time. I'm probably going to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom