• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xux

As far as I know in past FF games red mages just cast the same black or white magic as the other mages, just with a more limited repertoire. I imagine they added the "Ver-" prefix to differentiate the spells since RDM's spells are actually nothing like their BLM or WHM counterparts in this game.

I plan to main RDM, and look forward to it, but this rendition actually isn't anything like previous incarnations. It's supposed to be a hybrid mage but this job might as well just cast "Red magic" because all of their spells are unique in function except for Vercure and Veraise
The four elemental spells are pretty underwhelming. I was hoping there'd be more of a tie-in to the other mages like having an ice spell to regen MP somehow and having wind and lightning spells be DoTs. White and Black Mana being identical is really boring. Auto-attacks being negligible and melee being worthless outside of dumping mana is disappointing, too.

Jolt II has a neat sound effect, though.

Just 51-60. Apparently, 61-70, 71-80, and 81-90 all give the same exp as 51-60, so it's not worth the extra time just to get to 91-100.

That sounds good.

Maybe they might increase the EXP you get from PotD. I remember they did that with FATEs and some other things when Heavensward released IIRC.

Would be great since it would cut down on that 8-10 hours of grinding.

B.K.

I'm doing the Warring Triad questline for the Lux weapon. I haven't done any of them yet. I didn't know there was a whole sidestory to unlock Sephirot, Sophia, and Zurvan. I just did the quest where
I have to stop Regula in the Aetherochemical Research Facility.
I wonder if this story is going to tie into the Ivalice raid. Unukalhai's story about
heroes using Auracite to defeat gods sounds Tactics-ish.

SkyOdin

As far as I know in past FF games red mages just cast the same black or white magic as the other mages, just with a more limited repertoire. I imagine they added the "Ver-" prefix to differentiate the spells since RDM's spells are actually nothing like their BLM or WHM counterparts in this game.

I plan to main RDM, and look forward to it, but this rendition actually isn't anything like previous incarnations. It's supposed to be a hybrid mage but this job might as well just cast "Red magic" because all of their spells are unique in function except for Vercure and Veraise
Well, starting with FFV and its doublecast command, Red Mages have emphasized using a large number of spells over powerful spells. This extended to FFXI, where they had access to chainspell, and Bravely Default, where they were the masters of BP gain (which meant more actions overall).

They do have a history of having a unique take on their spell-list as well. In FFXI, unlike the Black Mage which focused on high-power nukes, the Red Mage used DoTs and debuffs. It had a few unique spells, namely the Bio and Dia lines of DoTs, and the En- and Bar- elemental spells. The En- spells (such as Enaero and Enfire) were buffs the Red Mage cast on itself to imbue its physical attacks with elemental damage. They are in FFXIV as spells the Beast tribes use. The Bar- spells (such as Barblizzard or Barthunder) reduced elemental damage.

So rapidly chaining together attack spells and having elemental spells with special suffixes both have precedent in the franchise for Red Mages.

Fuck me.

That paladin anima looks so good but I can't bring myself to do that light grind again.

9/10 parties are single tank and healers meaning my options are even more limited because people fucking suck and don't know-how to do mechanics or dps properly that they need to go in with 6 dps.

Sigh

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just have two small complaints about RDM so far.

It seems almost entirely ranged except when you have enough gauge to do your 123 combo. I was hoping for more balance between range and melee.

Veraero and Verfire are both really ugly and basic looking, compared to Verthunder and Verstone. Veraero in particular looks like the same Aero animation every Aero spell uses, including MNK's Tornado Kick.

B.K.

Fuck me.

That paladin anima looks so good but I can't bring myself to do that light grind again.

Speaking of.

BcZlKRp.jpg

Finally! I've been working on it non-stop for the last month and a half and it's finally finished. I almost burned myself out on the game trying to get that thing finished before early access. I think I may take a couple days off or spend the rest of the time until Stormblood just screwing around in the game. I did all 12 primals in the Lux step tonight. I've been doing them since 7:00pm tonight. I'm glad they're done. I couldn't even bring myself to do my Trial Roulette for today. I am trialed out.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never do Trial Roulette it seems like a waste of time.

B.K.

I never do Trial Roulette it seems like a waste of time.

Trial and Frontline roulette are two of my biggest sources of Tomestone and gil. I have almost 600k in gil on me that came almost entirely from those two roulettes.

I just have two small complaints about RDM so far.

It seems almost entirely ranged except when you have enough gauge to do your 123 combo. I was hoping for more balance between range and melee.

Veraero and Verfire are both really ugly and basic looking, compared to Verthunder and Verstone. Veraero in particular looks like the same Aero animation every Aero spell uses, including MNK's Tornado Kick.

Yeah, more balance between ranged/melee would have been cool but I think it will still be fun.

I was tinkering around with the simulator a while ago and I found the balancing aspect to be neat.

Manafication can get you another combo pretty quickly but it's most definitely a ranged job with some melee aspects.

Thorgal

Some of you should search yt for Ashe10.

He is a hardcore crafter who makes great crafter and gatherer guides.

He is also OBSCENELY rich!

Last update he gave iirc was that spread over both his characters and their retainers he has about 4 BILLION gill.

Foxxsoxx

I hope he puts as much effort to gathering real money as he does to gathering virtual MMO money.

This is why I can't be a crafter/gatherer...

I could just be doing that to make real money. Even though I'm lazy and won't.

So I got machinist to 37 tonight, finally got the hang of their rotation a little doing 51-60 POTD.

They definitely have a weird playstyle when reload is on CD and you have to rely on quick reload or hope to God you land your procs. Not sure if I like it or not, but it's definitely unique. Honestly just leveling this up because that flamethrower ability looks sick.

duckroll

Last update he gave iirc was that spread over both his characters and their retainers he has about 4 BILLION gill.

I bet he plays a Lala.

Thorgal

I was actually surprised to find him here.

Last time I heard that name was in the 2000's when he posted his FF12 boss and hunt mark video on YouTube when that game came out .

Impulsor

Is it a good moment to jump in?

I played this with a conjurer up until level... 20 something I think?

I think I didn't even get my advanced class, which was gonna be white mage.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is it a good moment to jump in?

I played this with a conjurer up until level... 20 something I think?

I think I didn't even get my advanced class, which was gonna be white mage.
There's never really a bad time to jump into this game imo, given that you have to do all the story content of the previous game/expansion/patches. It depends on your expectations at this point:

Are you expecting to start and be ready for the expansion in time? If so, you better get moving fast as early access starts on the 16th. There is a lot of story content to cover between now and then that even playing casually a few hours a day won't get you there in time.

Regardless, if you enjoy what you've played so far and you like the story, hop on in. Also be aware that they will be selling separate story and level boost potions soon. If you want to skip right to the expansion and don't mind spending a little money, those could be an option for you.

Impulsor

There's never really a bad time to jump into this game imo, given that you have to do all the story content of the previous game/expansion/patches. It depends on your expectations at this point:

Are you expecting to start and be ready for the expansion in time? If so, you better get moving fast as early access starts on the 16th. There is a lot of story content to cover between now and then that even playing casually a few hours a day won't get you there in time.

Regardless, if you enjoy what you've played so far and you like the story, hop on in. Also be aware that they will be selling separate story and level boost potions soon. If you want to skip right to the expansion and don't mind spending a little money, those could be an option for you.

I would most probably do that. What would I be missing if I use that? Crafting skills and anything else?

duckroll

I would most probably do that. What would I be missing if I use that? Crafting skills and anything else?

Errr if you use a jump potion you basically skip all the content. It's not worth it for anyone who actually cares about playing the game for the game.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Only one job would be leveled through the leveling potion (so no crafting jobs would be leveled), and only one of these potions can be used for the first few months of Stormblood. You can read more about them here: https://gamerescape.com/2017/05/22/jumping-potions-confirmed-for-stormblood-early-access/

If you're going to do that and are at all interested in the story, I'd recommend reading a synopsis up to the latest patch.

Impulsor

Errr if you use a jump potion you basically skip all the content. It's not worth it for anyone who actually cares about playing the game for the game.

I'm not really in a hurry if the story is good. And I already have my conjurer at level 27, just checked, on Moogle, so I guess I could keep on going.

Only one job would be leveled through the leveling potion (so no crafting jobs would be leveled), and only one of these potions can be used for the first few months of Stormblood. You can read more about them here: https://gamerescape.com/2017/05/22/jumping-potions-confirmed-for-stormblood-early-access/

If you're going to do that and are at all interested in the story, I'd recommend reading a synopsis up to the latest patch.

Thanks!

Yam's

Honestly unless you're goal is to be raid-ready asap, and by raid I mean the Savage one (the hardest difficulty), just take your time and enjoy the game. You can only experience the discovery of a mmo and its world once, whereas you will always reach the point of "what do I do know" sooner or later.

The game is very casual-friendly. You'll have plenty of time to catch up with everyone once you reach max lv.

Just came back to playing FF14 after a 2 year break. Trying to finish these Patch Quests in ARR. Im like a 1/4 of the way done. So many of them.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who just looked at avatars and was confused why Moaradin was saying he'd been gone for two years.

Trial is the fastest of all dailies. Sure, sometimes you get a pain in the ass fight like Vishap or Ravana HM with sprouts but overall its hella worth

Sometimes you get Cape Westwind, too. I totally agree that Trial roulette is probably one of or the fastest roulettes you can do.

Sorian

Banned
Just came back to playing FF14 after a 2 year break. Trying to finish these Patch Quests in ARR. Im like a 1/4 of the way done. So many of them.

Please tell me I wasn't the only one who just looked at avatars and was confused why Moaradin was saying he'd been gone for two years.

Nope, was confused as fuck. Time for an avatar death battle.

Really?

Cool, I'll do that then. Thanks.

Yeah, I didn't even do the pay now thing. If it made a difference though I had the physical collectors edition ordered since day 1.

neoemonk

I haven't played in a while. I think I'm at patch 3.2 in MSQ. I'm going to try powering through by early access time starting tonight.

Aeana

I spent the last week going through 2.1-2.5 and I thought the story itself was pretty good. The actual quest design is what makes it a slog since 90% of it is just going from one end of the world to another and back talking to NPCs.

It's wild to see you back at FF14. Hope you stick around for a bit this time!

RPGCrazied

Question. Are they still doing that story skip for stormblood? I think its like $25. I might do that, cause I really don't want to finish out all this 3.0 stuff.

Is it account wide, and will the cutscenes unlock so you can at least view the stuff you missed?

Wilsongt

I've followed him since his early Youtube days back in 2006 - 2007. His whole shitck is being a completionist at EVERYTHING. He has several Youtube series of videoa doing completely, 100% runs of tons of games.

Truly a no-lifer, but I wouldn't mind checking out his crafting guides.

Oh, and he has about 3 alts he play on in 14, and they all have done endgame raiding with best gear and over 200mil gil each.

They (spoilers, naturally)
are a part of it, yes. Not as much as you would expect and I still don't know why they're there because they end up being so woefully squandered, but it will mostly be about putting a final end to the Dragonsong War. At the tail end it will be some setup for Stormblood and its upcoming 8-man raid series.
Such a great opportunity wasted-_-

Should've been a longer arc.

I'll be resubbing again probably tomorrow or Friday to finish up the anima, just need to finish up Yakuza 0. One thing I'm most excited about with SB is that with the community coming back Fates will be populated again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom