• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

tataru is not evil, she is pure. when the lala uprising happens she will be eaten by her own people if we are not there to save her.

She did send me to a monster infested zone just to get her some damn tea leaves.

I think Tataru was trying to kill me.

i can't think of an item more important than tea leaves so she has her priorities straight tbh
image.php

This opinion feels biased...

R0ckman

So I'm not sure what happened but I had some kind of delay issue in a dungeon run earlier in the day that gave me the same effect as the new Ten Chi Jen scroll gauge ability where it allowed me to stack Ninjustu based on the amount I did and do all of them in sequence. Lol I guess I got a preview of the skill lol xD

Foxxsoxx

image.php

This opinion feels biased...

xD

Fact- ALL Lalafells are Evil even the one's that don't look Evil

Fact- Lalafell kids don't actually exist. Every single Lalafell are home grown to that size at your local Lalafell farm.

Fact- All Lalafells are Zodiark worshipers who are attempting to destroy the realm.

Fact- Anyone else who tries to dispute these facts are either Lalafells themselves who are trying to silence this truth or are Lalafell sympathizers who have obvious become corrupted/changed by Zodiark.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

On another note why does machinist AF3 gear gotta look so bad.

KLoWn

If I only completed the main story of Heavens Ward and nothing after that (story patches and such, assuming there was any?), how spoiled will I get if I watch the new Stormblood launch trailer?

If I only completed the main story of Heavens Ward and nothing after that (story patches and such, assuming there was any?), how spoiled will I get if I watch the new Stormblood launch trailer?

You could watch it, I guess. It does kinda have spoilers for 3.X stuff, but in this context you probably wouldn't understand them.

No one's going to mention the
Samurai blocking Susanoo's sword?

That's either a new quick time event thing like with Cruise Chaser or it's the Samurai using a cooldown that happens to look like a block in this situation and they added the sound effect in the video to make it look like he was blocking it.

R0ckman

That's either a new quick time event thing like with Cruise Chaser or it's the Samurai using a cooldown that happens to look like a block in this situation and they added the sound effect in the video to make it look like he was blocking it.

Having studied all of that job's moves. If it was a cooldown, the only thing it would be is
Third Eye.
almost all other moves are some kind of attack.

Leunam

Could just be a pre or post Susano trial cutscene.

wamberz1

I was curious about this myself.

I wonder if they're going to add extra moments in cinematics depending on what class you are. There was a bit in there that was straight from the first CG trailer but as an in game cutscene. That scene really wouldn't work unless you were playing monk. If I recall correctly heavensward did something similar if you were playing Dragoon.

aka_bueno

As someone playing through ARR for first time, I take it it's best to avoid the latest trailer? Spoiler stuff right? Or is it safe to watch

Xux

As someone playing through ARR for first time, I take it it's best to avoid the latest trailer? Spoiler stuff right? Or is it safe to watch
It's fine. Definitely the least spoilery of the Stormblood stuff.

Hey, I'm not in the GAF FC, but I'm on Ultros, and I could use help with something real quick. Need some help taking down this hunt so I can get the last few Allied Seals I need. I'm laying dead at X22, Y24. A res and some help would be appreciated!

(There's only a couple people from my FC on at the moment and they're busy or I'd ask them. :lol)
Not on Ultros but...what zone are you in?

ebil

I was curious about this myself.

I wonder if they're going to add extra moments in cinematics depending on what class you are. There was a bit in there that was straight from the first CG trailer but as an in game cutscene. That scene really wouldn't work unless you were playing monk. If I recall correctly heavensward did something similar if you were playing Dragoon.
IIRC Yoshida said in an interview months ago that Stormblood would feature
cutscenes that are slightly different depending on your job
, so your guess might be right.

Thorgal

SB launch trailer spoilers

the 2 reasons why i firmly believe Yshtola is not dead is :

1) she is THE poster child of FF14 in Japan right now ( sorry, Tataru fans )
Killing her off would be like Pokemon killing Pikachu off .

so unless yoshida decided he wanted to Go the GOT route i don't see it happening .

2 they went out of their way to let us know she is draining her own life force to see .

Killing her off without ever expanding on that point or have her suffer any of the consequences of it before getting offed would make little sense .

My guess : she is just super KO'ed .

iammeiam

Slycer over on BlueGartr translated an interview, and right off the bat it gets interesting.

All tank jobs can be used as main or off-tank

We got the impression that for tanks, main and off-tanking can be done with all three of the jobs. Specifically, there seem to be a lot of actions that are made more effective by switching stances during battle. Was this intentional?

Yoshida: To me, tanks have the job of keeping control of the targets. However, we receive lots of opinions from players saying "I want to do more DPS!" so we are conscious of that. In order to be able to actually make adjustments side-by-side for all tanks rather than just say we're trying to do it, we intentionally chose to not implement a new tank in Stormblood. However, that doesn't mean we are encouraging constantly switching stances because the job gauges are halved when you switch. Since staying in the defensive stances doesn't make use of the gauge, it may be seen as less engaging, so it's set up to motivate you to make use of each stance.

Honestly not the direction I expected--I assumed they'd be doing things to make the turtle tank I AM A TANK I AM IN TANK STANCE dudes feel more justified in camping out, not trying to prod them to go back and forth.

Also actual speaking of words about WTF they did to MCH:
On machinist, you've added the "heat" mechanic. What was the idea behind that?

Yoshida: Similar to bard casting, previously there was a risk associated with casting which we've now reversed. Since we've made machinist a bit easier to handle, it's fun to be able to move around and fight with style. Machinist was at a point where all of the machinist actions, along with the enemy's actions, the turret, and additional actions like Hawkeye and other abilities that affect DPS with different recast timers made it difficult to know what to do and when to do it. It's worth noting especially for machinist that the removal of additional actions will make a significant difference.

Another issue was that there was a long period of downtime which could be a bit boring to get through in battle after unloading everything with Wildfire, so to go along with reducing the number of things to manage and making the job easier to understand, we added the heat gauge to add another thing to consider besides just Wildfire.

So that was the intent.

Yoshida: I think the challenge of the job has changed. With the removal of the casting time to raise damage, we added the heat gauge. It will be fundamental to the job to maintain a high heat gauge without overheating. The feeling should be like a temptation to overheat to achieve burst damage, but with an associated disadvantage of doing so. You can use Flamethrower as an AoE attack, but it will be more important to use it to manage the heat gauge.

Honestly I still fall into the old system looking more confusing but in practice being relatively streamlined (all of our stuff lined up in 30 second chunks! Hawk's Eye was never confusing to use because is on the same CD as Rapid Fire and Wildfire! It was a ton of info at once, but it was relatively simple in practice.) I also thought a large part of the 'boring' deadzone between wildfires worked as a counter-balance to the insane DDR stuff, vs Bard's desynced timers making things feel like perpetual adjustment. The Overheat system is a lot more streamlined up front, but seems like it's going to be a bitch to use optimally, and given that it's the literal only personal CD-style buff MCH has, not getting the hang of Overheat is going to be a much bigger deal than popping B4B desynced from Wildfire.

Honestly not the direction I expected--I assumed they'd be doing things to make the turtle tank I AM A TANK I AM IN TANK STANCE dudes feel more justified in camping out, not trying to prod them to go back and forth.

After reading that part I am not sure how this is any different from how it is now.

After reading that part I am not sure how this is any different from how it is now.

In WAR case is very clear, switching stances has a clear penalty (half the bar loss), so it's made in a way, that when you are MTing you stay on defence stance and maybe switch in certain moments, in contrast of how much stance switching you could make with WAR. Deliverance -> change to Defiance for Inner Beast/Equilibrium -> go back to Deliverance and etc.

Why would you constantly stance dance with WAR now when MTing?

And now all 3 tanks has proper DPS modes, I guess.

febLey

Just killed Thordan EX for the first time today with some FC members and I immediately got the pet.
I'm pretty happy right now :)

Also what an awesome fight. Mechanics-wise one of my favourites.

iammeiam

He seems to be saying if there's no use for the gauge in tank stance, people will be motivated to toggle so they stop having this full bar indicating they're wasting damage sitting in tank stance 80+% of the time.

I think their aim is just a visual representation of how much overkill that much time in tank stance really is? No idea if they've succeeded, but if the goal is to encourage MTs to stance dance more, we're probably not looking at a mythical raid tier of tight healing checks which has been one of the frontline defenses for WHM

yami4ct

Not that this will have any effect on the community whatsoever.

As long as the battles are structured the way they are, there will be an expectation on healers to contribute to DPS for speedier clears. Otherwise they're just sitting around doing nothing of value for the group. If the healers had to be constantly on it healing, then we'd have a different story.

iammeiam

Not that this will have any effect on the community whatsoever.

It breaks a few different ways, but in dungeon content it gets weird because there's fundamentally nothing else to do. Much like it's frustrating if a tank does the bare minimum to maintain threat or a DPS afks mid-pull to auto, it's aggravating to be in a situation where your dungeon healer has run out of things to heal and, due to a desire to not DPS, is opting to do nothing and/or hop in circles. It's less "how dare the healer not want to DPS!" and more "Wow, watching this person actively not contribute can be aggravating." The complaints tend to not arise if something is so horribly out of wack the healer is spending every GCD healbombing. As with most things, it feels like a design problem that the dev shouldn't push off as a player problem. I don't support harassing people over it, but I've been frustrated enough to prefer queuing dungeons on healer to avoid the frustration.

Heysoos

So, I bought a 60 day time card last month and it's been largely wasted. Left off after the first month of the ARR relaunch with a level 50 Paladin, I'm trying to do the Heavensward story, but I got to the first mandatory dungeon, and I haven't been able to progess any further. I either get a group that's a revolving door of people leaving and joining never having a full group or the one time I did get a full group, we all died on literally the enemies right in front of the beginning.. lol.

yami4ct

So, I bought a 60 day time card last month and it's been largely wasted. Left off after the first month of the ARR relaunch with a level 50 Paladin, I'm trying to do the Heavensward story, but I got to the first mandatory dungeon, and I haven't been able to progess any further. I either get a group that's a revolving door of people leaving and joining never having a full group or the one time I did get a full group, we all died on literally the enemies right in front of the beginning.. lol.

Sounds like everyone needs to come over to Cerberus because I haven't had anywhere close to the hell of grouping problems people have described here today haha.

Aeana

As long as the battles are structured the way they are, there will be an expectation on healers to contribute to DPS for speedier clears. Otherwise they're just sitting around doing nothing of value for the group. If the healers had to be constantly on it healing, then we'd have a different story.

It breaks a few different ways, but in dungeon content it gets weird because there's fundamentally nothing else to do. Much like it's frustrating if a tank does the bare minimum to maintain threat or a DPS afks mid-pull to auto, it's aggravating to be in a situation where your dungeon healer has run out of things to heal and, due to a desire to not DPS, is opting to do nothing and/or hop in circles. It's less "how dare the healer not want to DPS!" and more "Wow, watching this person actively not contribute can be aggravating." The complaints tend to not arise if something is so horribly out of wack the healer is spending every GCD healbombing. As with most things, it feels like a design problem that the dev shouldn't push off as a player problem. I don't support harassing people over it, but I've been frustrated enough to prefer queuing dungeons on healer to avoid the frustration.

Well, I agree with that. I would be ecstatic if I had more to do as a healer in this game. I've lamented that fact many times before, and about how older MMOs were much better in this respect, get off my lawn, etc. I just don't like the attitude some people have. I'll personally happily DPS if I have no healing to do, but you know, that's a choice I've made, because I want to be as useful as possible, and make things go as smoothly as possible.

yami4ct

I've had problems with filling duties before, particularly during off times. Getting queues for LotA while trying to do my relic was like an hour plus if I could find a group at all. That's sort of expected in a game with this much content I guess. Game probably could use a 24-man raid roulette for old raid to help fill those up.

I was more talking about people abandoning and being shitty. Such a non issue on my server thankfully. Community has been a real welcoming and nice group. It was a pleasant surprise.

B.K.

What's everyone doing to make MGP at the Gold Saucer during the event? Now that I'm finished with my Anima gear, I want to farm some MGP before the event ends.

yami4ct

On the new race front, my only expectation is that we'll get rabbit girls in the Ivalice raid story that become playable in 5.0

iammeiam

Chocobo racing is OK really passive MGP.

Well, I agree with that. I would be ecstatic if I had more to do as a healer in this game. I've lamented that fact many times before, and about how older MMOs were much better in this respect, get off my lawn, etc. I just don't like the attitude some people have. I'll personally happily DPS if I have no healing to do, but you know, that's a choice I've made, because I want to be as useful as possible, and make things go as smoothly as possible.

And it's this weird spot of in the larger scheme of things I don't care if healers DPS or not. I don't pay their sub, I've raided with minimal or no DPS healers and generally not cared as long as it felt like they were keeping busy with whatever, but for the boring grindy stuff I just want to get in and out as efficiently as possible and ideally want to be matched up with other people with the same goal. Struggling new players don't bother me, but Netflix /follow SCHs drove me up a tree, so I ended up just removing the issue from concern. It's sort of bordering on the point where it'd be nice if they did add some kind of speedrun checkbox to DF to let players self-segregate the groups a little. Remove the pressure from people who don't want it, and prevent the awkward occasional run-in with territorial DPS who want healers to focus solely on healing.

Yoshida's general comment about not wanting people to feel pressured always reminds me of his explanation for why he initially pushed back against the concept of a Hall of the Intermediate:
Y: The staff gave a suggestion to implement the Hall of the Intermediate the other day. (laugh) It would teach players who want to do extreme Primals their job rotations.

F: What was your response to the suggestion?

Y: It would give players the message that they have to do good in-game, so I wasn't really into the idea... but recently I started thinking that it might not be so bad. (laugh)

I get that he's deeply concerned about not making people feel bad, but there's always a massive disconnect between the relative rigidity of the game they're making and the "all choices are valid!" approach they apparently want players to adopt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom