• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxxsoxx

Have you seen the heated actions in stormblood? They look stylish AF
https://youtu.be/qCEOk3kYXb8?t=14s

They look better but still not crazy about a few of their abilities.

The one where you use a touch screen computer, the bullets that come out of nowhere, and the turrets don't really look badass.

It's obvious they want it to look more steampunk then gunslinger which I would prefer.

It'd be tight if they gave you an CD where you got 2 guns for a short time (10-15 seconds) and you just unload.

also their AF3 gear is... not good looking.

You finished ARR in 2 days? What the fuck. I would die doing that. The game is definitely not designed to be rushed like that.

HW on the other hand... :)
Well I did the original content back at release I just did the 100 or so quests that were added later in patches...how long hw gonna take?

Edzi

Your servers must be loaded, it takes a lot to piss people off on the server I'm on. I was playing Alexander 5 earlier today and people kept wiping over and over until we beat it, not ONE person said anything, literally nothing typed in chat even after completing it.

The only time it got moderately bad was when out team in a void raid kept dying, then there was a bit of infighting against casual players and people not wanting their time wasted, even then no one was actually aggressively singled out and attacked.

I find silent parties equally infuriating tbh.

duckroll

Well I did the original content back at release I just did the 100 or so quests that were added later in patches...how long hw gonna take?

Oh, you finished 2.x in 2 days. That's not so bad. Draining, but builds character. It helps you appreciate how much more streamlined the design in HW and 3.x will be. :)

HW is a ~50 hour game, but you should feel that it is a much tighter linear story experience with more intimate characters and a structured journey that takes you through all of Ishgard.

It would be cool if they had a
primal that looks like a normal human. You don't know he/she's a primal at first and become buddies then you end up having to fight them at some point because of story reasons.

B.K.

I really wish Heavensward and 3.xx were longer. There was too much wasted potential in them.
I was really disappointed that the Warriors of Darkness story wasn't developed any more than it was.
I hope Stormblood is as long as A Realm Reborn and 2.xx.

iammeiam

It's kind of a pain in the ass to set up initially, and it's possible everyone but me was already aware of this, but provided they don't jack up the FC crafting requirements in the future, it is possible to fill out a FC crafting party without needing multiple subscriptions.

Trial account restrictions let you unlock crafting and join parties created by somebody else, so if you jump through the hoops of setting up a trial account or two and getting them leveled up to 10, you can unlock crafting and then plant the alts outside the FC house forever. Since trial accounts no longer expire, it means FC crafting after the initial setup is just a matter of starting a couple extra instances of the game up, logging in to the trial accounts, and then forming a party. There are some complications about running 3 or more instances of the game on a single PC, but there are workarounds or multiple systems or whatever.

Obviously if you're running a real FC with.... like... people in it, just tagging them in is easier, but it's nice to have an on-demand way to form up a party for one or two crafting things without having to run around looking for extra people if you're in a personal FC. Less pressure to gather a bunch of stuff in advance to maximize the productivity of yanking extra people in. Especially given that the expansion launch will probably make finding people with nothing better to do than /afk in stranger's workshops more difficult for a while and Shirogane could spike some of the FC craft MB prices.

TBH I couldn't find anybody saying you couldn't do it, but no confirmation you could, so I expected the whole thing to end with 'lol no' instead of the construction animation.

I feel like such a jerk making my whole party sit there waiting for like 3 minutes while I watch a story scene.

Also random question but is there an easy way to compare gear in this game? I can see if something has more defense or magic defense than what I'm wearing but can't figure out how to compare the changes in actual stats without just looking at the two items, I feel like I'm playing WoW in 2004 again equipping whatever has the most armor hah.

-Don't ever feel bad about watching a first time cut-scene, the other players are getting a bonus for having a first-timer in the party. Castrum and Praetorium might be the only exceptions where you want to skip the scenes and watch them on Youtube or your inn room later because they are a zerg-fest. You will get left behind and lost if you sit through the long ass cut-scenes. Truly bad design there unfortunately. They did get better with this in the newer content.

I really wish Heavensward and 3.xx were longer. There was too much wasted potential in them.
I was really disappointed that the Warriors of Darkness story wasn't developed any more than it was.

ARR may have been longer than HW, but its story wasn't more developed because of that.

R0ckman

I kind of agreed with you until I realized that their goals weren't very deep. Their goal was simple so there was no point drawing out their story. Its not like they are an empire or army.

duckroll

-Don't ever feel bad about watching a first time cut-scene, the other players are getting a bonus for having a first-timer in the party. Castrum and Praetorium might be the only exceptions where you want to skip the scenes and watch them on Youtube or your inn room later because they are a zerg-fest. You will get left behind and lost if you sit through the long ass cut-scenes. Truly bad design there unfortunately. They did get better with this in the newer content.

What he said basically. The new player watching the cutscene is not the asshole. Anyone not willing to wait is an asshole. While waiting it's fine to emote, dance, talk mechanics, etc. Everyone went through this once, others deserve the same.

For the final two ARR dungeons I recommend hitting up our FC for help. As long as there is advances notice, you will have no problems finding people to fill in a full private party so you can see all the story.

duckroll

It would be cool if they had a
primal that looks like a normal human. You don't know he/she's a primal at first and become buddies then you end up having to fight them at some point because of story reasons.

Why is this even spoiler tagged when it isn't a spoiler?! I don't think they can pull off a Primal in disguise thing because Primals by their nature require a ton of crystals to sustain. It would just be weird.

Why is this even spoiler tagged when it isn't a spoiler?! I don't think they can pull off a Primal in disguise thing because Primals by their nature require a ton of crystals to sustain. It would just be weird.

The big revelation of the game is that we, warriors of light, are actually primals. Just wait and see lol

Sorian

Banned

I could see them doing it. I'm sure we'll find out the emperor is a some god/primal thing and it'll be such a twist because that goes against their philosophy.

duckroll

I could see them doing it. I'm sure we'll find out the emperor is a some god/primal thing and it'll be such a twist because that goes against their philosophy.

How would that be a twist.... lol. It would just be lame. I personally think after HW they have exhausted all the logical avenues of "humans can summon Primals too" which was done well enough and made sense. Anything more will feel forced and more like old ideas recycled in new retcon ways.

Here's what I'm more interested in: If Zodiark is summoned as a primal, what form would he take? Chaos? Would Hydaelyn be Cosmos?

I had two times I had to do a handful of side quests to level up to continue the main story but over all made solid progress I think. I have to say the quests when you're trying to find the hooded guy in Grandania you pick up from the lady in the tavern are pretty silly. 'I'm pretty positive this won't help at all but go kills this creature. Ok this won't work either but throw a magic stick at this rock. I'm out of ideas' lol I accidentally ran into a fate in that area where enemies were up in the fourties....that didn't go well haha Thankfully there was someone to rez me after they killed everything but they had a cool down with it which makes me wonder, how does rezing work in the overworld? Can only healers do it? Can I already do it and I just don't know it because I haven't come across a dead player yet?

I eventually made it to the next dungeon and I loved the theme, the manor. That was easily my favorite design so far and the only dungeon where we didn't kill everything almost instantaneously though it wasn't slow going either. After we completed all the objectives, I was examining the item in the chest and all the sudden everyone was gone. I was like wtf? and couldn't for the life of me figure out where they could have possibly run. I could see they were still in the dungeon though and finally someone says in chat to try Return. For a moment I thought they were trolling me and I'd warp to my home crystal but I didn't have many options so I tried it and saw it conveniently takes you to the start of the dungeon where the barrier was now lifted. I was then glad that the game announced someone was a first timer and I have a green sprout above my head so hopefully they could forgive me haha Managed to get two upgrades to armor that are purple, need to look up the implications there besides not being able to sell them on the trade market. Why does the game insist on giving me such hideous looking armor though? I really dug what I got for completing the Novice Hall, it was the only set that looked good in the whole game so far and I look like a freaking stooge with my little shorts and goofy open tunic vest or whatever I have with my dorky metal helmet lol

Anyway, killing the dungeon boss made me hit level 29 and I have a problem....As soon as I reported back to Minfilila after beating that dungeon, the next quest requires you to be level 30...fuuuuuu I literally just hit 29 so I need like 140k xp points....help me gaf! What in the world do I do to get that much xp quickly? It would take a ridiculous amount of sidequests.... Can I just repeat that last dungeon, the manor? I think I got a nice amount of xp from it. Or does it give a lot less on repeat runs (not counting the lack of first time bonus). Please, any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thorgal

Just do a daily dungeon roulette once a day.

If you don't you will find you will have to grind the last few levels at the very end which is not fun or like in your case the story levels go up faster than you.

Sorian

Banned
How would that be a twist.... lol. It would just be lame. I personally think after HW they have exhausted all the logical avenues of "humans can summon Primals too" which was done well enough and made sense. Anything more will feel forced and more like old ideas recycled in new retcon ways.

Here's what I'm more interested in: If Zodiark is summoned as a primal, what form would he take? Chaos? Would Hydaelyn be Cosmos?

That sarcasm passed so far over head, you didn't even catch the breeze.

Did you ever do the coil storyline btw? That actually has the best storyline in terms of this topic anyway.

duckroll

- Reviving is for healers, yes.

- The manor was a good dungeon. I loved it too. Lots of good stuff ahead, but more so in post-2.0. Sounds like you'll appreciate it.

- To get lots of exp at your point of the game I would recommend looking into leves and the daily duty roulette (leveling). The former are quicker localized quests you can pick up at various townships around the world which allow you to repeat the available quests randomly every day. The latter queues you into a random dungeon you have already completely to help fill parties for other players and you get a bonus exp boost for doing it once a day.

- The other option is to look into Palace of the Dead but I don't want to be the one explaining how that clusterfuck works. It's basically a Diablo mini-game in the XIV engine.

That sarcasm passed so far over head, you didn't even catch the breeze.

Did you ever do the coil storyline btw? That actually has the best storyline in terms of this topic anyway.

Is this what they call... bullying? T_T

Yes I did Coil and Crystal Tower. Any major story content from ARR I have completed. I just left a bunch of optional dungeons like Hard Mode dungeons and some of the 2.x unlocked ones undone. So lazy....

Haven't done the HW stuff like Void Ark or Alexander yet. Looking forward to them!

Sorian

Banned
Void Ark story is pretty on point. Alexander storyline is hit or miss for people, depends on how you feel about the trope it relies on.

Also, Palace of the Dead is A+ content, going to be sad when we are at this point two years from now waiting for 5.0 and they forgot about adding a new potd experience for level 70.

Edit: I wish I could just fuse two of my posts together. I double post enough.

I did Briarden(? You know, the serious Hildibrand) questline in HW, and I was surprised how much enjoyed it.

It fits nicely post 3.x events and complements it quite well.

grimmiq

Anyone know if I need to wait for my Stormblood early access code to become active, or if I just got a bad code? From the Square-Enix store*

Pre-ordered this morning, got my code shortly after, said it was invalid, 11hrs later, still invalid. Tried to input it in both the redeem link in the email receipt, as well as my mogstation account.

Not sure if I need to wait for it to become active, or if the site is accepting the codes yet, or if I should cancel my pre-order and try for another code.

I assumed I would be able to use the code now and it would deduct the amount a couple of days before release, do I need to debit now for it to work?

Sorian

Banned
Anyone know if I need to wait for my Stormblood early access code to become active, or if I just got a bad code? From the Square-Enix store*

Pre-ordered this morning, got my code shortly after, said it was invalid, 11hrs later, still invalid. Tried to input it in both the redeem link in the email receipt, as well as my mogstation account.

Not sure if I need to wait for it to become active, or if the site is accepting the codes yet, or if I should cancel my pre-order and try for another code.

I assumed I would be able to use the code now and it would deduct the amount a couple of days before release, do I need to debit now for it to work?

The code given to you should be working at that special registration site already, of it is not, you have a bad code and need to get that sorted, once used, it should spawn a new code that you'll put into mogstation.

grimmiq

The code given to you should be working at that special registration site already, of it is not, you have a bad code and need to get that sorted, once used, it should spawn a new code that you'll put into mogstation.

Thanks, going to give it til tomorrow morning, so 24hrs, I'll cancel the pre-order and try again, if that doesn't work I'll contact their support.

Moaradin

Thanks, going to give it til tomorrow morning, so 24hrs, I'll cancel the pre-order and try again, if that doesn't work I'll contact their support.

Make sure you don't have any extra spaces at the end. I couldn't get my code to work for a while, but I figured out that was my problem. Copying the code from the email had an extra space for me. They are extra picky about that shit.

Sorian

Banned
Make sure you don't have any extra spaces at the end. I couldn't get my code to work for a while, but I figured out that was my problem. Copying the code from the email had an extra space for me. They are extra picky about that shit.

Yeah, try little things like this first, support will either be a two hour phone call or a two week wait for an email that'll make no sense and solve nothing.

grimmiq

Damn it.. I copy/pasted it several times, typed out the code several times..I don't recall ever having to type the -'s in codes for anything else.

Redeemed, thanks.

Defunkled

Help! I played the PS4 beta for a little bit back in 2014 and now I'd like to give this game a genuine shot. I downloaded the free trial but it says I can't use my current Square Enix account because it was used during the beta. I created a new account but it won't let me erase my old username from the login screen!

Is Square Enix seriously limiting me from using two different accounts on the same PS4?

otakukidd

Help! I played the PS4 beta for a little bit back in 2014 and now I'd like to give this game a genuine shot. I downloaded the free trial but it says I can't use my current Square Enix account because it was used during the beta. I created a new account but it won't let me erase my old username from the login screen!

Is Square Enix seriously limiting me from using two different accounts on the same PS4?
You cant use a different account with the same psn name. You have to use the account you used in the beta since it's connected to your psn name.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Since we are on the topic of early access codes: Is that code the actual Stormblood key? Or will the site I bought the game from (greenman gaming) send me another key when the game officially launches? I'm assuming the former as it doesn't make much sense for one key to give early access to content that I need another key to unlock.

Since we are on the topic of early access codes: Is that code the actual Stormblood key? Or will the site I bought the game from (greenman gaming) send me another key when the game officially launches? I'm assuming the former as it doesn't make much sense for one key to give early access to content that I need another key to unlock.
You're supposed to have two keys, one for the pre order bonuses including the early access and one for the actual game that wont be useable till the 20th

I think we get the full game key on the 20th.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That's kind of weird. So I could, for instance, start playing redmage on the 16th, and then on the 20th if for whatever reason I don't enter the Stormblood code itself the job will be disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom