• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Ala Mighans have had a Yorkshire accent since like, before 3.0 with ilberd and then Raubharn. I love the English va but kinda hate this because it's a goofy-ass accent and I can't take it seriously. Hard to get much drama when everyone sounds like the cast from Last of the Summer Wine.

Mate, nobody in the game sounds like Peter Sallis (rip), yorkshire accents aren't goofy by themselves come on now.

It's not like Ala Mhigo is geographically very far from the rest of the Eorzean city-states, and we know that before the Garlean invasion they had plenty of contact with them, so I really don't find their accents that strange. It's not like they're on an entirely different continent like Doma.

It's not like Ala Mhigo is geographically very far from the rest of the Eorzean city-states, and we know that before the Garlean invasion they had plenty of contact with them, so I really don't find their accents that strange. It's not like they're on an entirely different continent like Doma.
Ala Mhigo is basically one mountain range away from Gridania

duckroll

WOOOHOOOOOO!

DBuzeC9UIAEfmwZ.jpg

DBuzeDhVwAEXFtj.jpg

xkramz

So iim at level 50...now what? What's "end game"? Where are end game gear? I don't have heavensward yet. So exclude those locastions and gear please

I'm ready for Stormblood I picked up 3 audio books today to listen to while I spam Palace of The Dead on Samurai and Red Mage.

What did you get?

If the armoury bonus goes up, hopefully it won't take you that long.

I sometimes get lengthy historical audio books but I don't think I could cope if I had to listen to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich more than once to max jobs :p

So iim at level 50...now what? What's "end game"? Where are end game gear? I don't have heavensward yet. So exclude those locastions and gear please

If you have caught up on your job quests you will have artifact gear, which is like a signature look for your job. Assuming you've just done the Main Story Quest that ends the base game, the final boss being
Ultima Weapon
there's now like 100 story quests that lead you into Heavensward, with a bunch more fights against new Primals and such.

Seems like we're going to get our ass kicked in Ala Mihgo at first. Good, the game needs some good villains again. The dragons and evil pope were boring.

I was surprised that it looks they're making WoL, the walking god of destruction, actually job to somebody. We haven't straight up gotten rekt by anyone in a long time lol. Y'shtola took a beat down from him too, was surprised to see actual blood.

...I wonder if anyone's gonna be mad that it's the anime guy with the glorious Doman steel and not say, a god-like being such as Nidhogg or the Warring Triad.

What did you get?

If the armoury bonus goes up, hopefully it won't take you that long.

I sometimes get lengthy historical audio books but I don't think I could cope if I had to listen to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich more than once to max jobs :p

I got Salem's Lot and Fiend and the Bazar of Bad Dreams. I mostly stick to horror with audiobooks it keeps me interested and focused. I was thinking of getting Fellowship of The Ring since I haven't read it in almost 15 years.

theosi

You'd be better off finding someone who can craft one for you and just buy the materials. Shouldn't cost you any more than 200,000 (probably less). That's how I got mine.

Also you can just use the orchestrion rolls to get them out of your inventory. They'll go on your Orchestrion List whether you own one or not.

haha wow. did not know that. thanks!

xkramz

If you are lvl50 and you don't have HW, playing more before buying HW is a disadvantage.

If you have caught up on your job quests you will have artifact gear, which is like a signature look for your job. Assuming you've just done the Main Story Quest that ends the base game, the final boss being
Ultima Weapon
there's now like 100 story quests that lead you into Heavensward, with a bunch more fights against new Primals and such.

awwman ok ill take a break till early access, i got stormblood and it includes HW thats why i havent gotten HW. thanks

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Not sure why I didn't realise this before but the new head Garlean dude looks like he's walking around with a bag of golf clubs.

duckroll

awwman ok ill take a break till early access, i got stormblood and it includes HW thats why i havent gotten HW. thanks

Yeah if you progress through the post-ARR content after getting HW with SB, you will continue leveling and can get into HW proper at a much higher level. Way better. :)

Reknoc

Her fashion sense is Nomura tier trash. If any potato needs to be mashed it is her.

SHE TRIED HER HARDEST TO CLOTH YOUR UNGRATEFUL ASS B-DEX. SHE'S AN ACCOUNTANT WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM HER. SHE EVEN WENT OUT INTO THE DANGEROUS WILDS TO HELP FUND THE SCIONS. SHE IS A SMOL PRECIOUS STONE AND MUST BE PROTECTED.

Edzi

I should probably finish the HIldebrand quests soon. Last one I did was battle on the big bridge, so how much is left?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I still haven't started Hildebrand because I've never not been catching up on MSQ's to level/advance.

Maybe one day if I hit max level in Stormblood.

DasFool

All right, GAF. I haven't played since around 3.1, but a few friends of mine have been hyping up Stormblood quite a lot. I want to get back in, however there are a few reasons why I quit in the first place:

- Endgame is terrible without a full group of close friends. With a PUG, it's either a boss slaughter with echo and mechanics skipped, or it's a party wipe and 4 people leave immediately following one mistake.
- Combat (especially leveling combat) boils down to a singular combo for any of the DPS and ridiculously easy healing/threat management for Healer/Tank.
- Exploration feels unrewarding (even in Heavensward with flying creatures)
- Late-game Crafting/gathering boils down to camping specific spots in real time; it feels like a chore to even break into the upper echelon of the crafting hierarchy

Is Stormblood doing anything to address these? I'd love to enjoy this game again; the theme of the expansion looks quite interesting and Red Mage is one of my personal favorite classes in past Final Fantasies.

R0ckman

All right, GAF. I haven't played since around 3.1, but a few friends of mine have been hyping up Stormblood quite a lot. I want to get back in, however there are a few reasons why I quit in the first place:

- Endgame is terrible without a full group of close friends. With a PUG, it's either a boss slaughter with echo and mechanics skipped, or it's a party wipe and 4 people leave immediately following one mistake.
- Combat (especially leveling combat) boils down to a singular combo for any of the DPS and ridiculously easy healing/threat management for Healer/Tank.
- Late-game Crafting/gathering boils down to camping specific spots in real time; it feels like a chore to even break into the upper echelon of the crafting hierarchy

Is Stormblood doing anything to address these? I'd love to enjoy this game again; the theme of the expansion looks quite interesting and Red Mage is one of my personal favorite classes in past Final Fantasies.

Is this based on server? I've never had tons of people bail in random queues. People will usually stick around for a while, hell in Titan extreme it took a bit before people left.

Reknoc

for the trailer:
I don't think Y'stola will die but it does look like we're getting that shounen-ass oh shit moment when the arcs main villain shows up and just wrecks the entire crew like the end of the Sabaody arc in One Piece

SOLDIER

I suppose the VIP price from GreenManGaming is as good as it's going to get for the digital CE? I can't think of any other vendors or sales prior to early access that could top it.

Between that and $15 rewards points put towards the PS4 version, that would come out to a little over the standard price of a game ($60).

What I would really want is a discount on game time.

yami4ct

Outside of the gathering thing, I personally don't agree with any of your complaints of the base game. Given you have them, though, I sincerely doubt SB's gonna change your mind.

yami4ct

Not even PLD only boils down to one combo let alone any of the DPS lol

All of the DPS especially now boil down to a single rotation, but that's how MMO style combat is sort of always gonna go. There's always going to be a path of maximum efficiency that players want to use. The trick is maintaining it while doing boss mechanics and movement mechanics.

But, like, yeah, if that stuff bothers for you than this is just the wrong game for you.

Vamphuntr

These are pretty much why I bailed out of the base game after maxing a character. I'm excited for Stormblood a lot but my RL friends hate MMO and solo queuing in this is a disaster like you said. People will also complain if you don't use THE skill rotation for your DPS.

yami4ct

These are pretty much why I bailed out of the base game after maxing a character. I'm excited for Stormblood a lot but my RL friends hate MMO and solo queuing in this is a disaster like you said. People will also complain if you don't use THE skill rotation for your DPS.

I've legit barely have ever had these disastrous queues on my server. Like, I've had a couple bad trials where we wipe a few times but it's maybe like 5 runs out of a hundred. I've not once had anyone bitch about my DPS even as I was learning my classes. I've seen people be fucking jerks to healers and tanks, but they're thankfully very rare and again maybe 5-10 times out of hundreds of dungeon and trial runs.

Thorgal

so out of boredom and curiosity i watched Happy's livestream of him playing through FFXI and he just now finished the story of the very last expansion they released for that game and saw the conclusion of that games story .

i can only hope FF14 can have as good a final ending as that game had .

iammeiam

As resident ball of unpleasant hatred and resentment and pessimism and "why do you even still play this game if all you're gonna do is complain", my take:

I'm going to assume by "endgame" you mean "current Savage raiding" and not, like, normal modes or 24-mans? The situation is a lot better than it was in 3.1 for a couple of different reasons: They've adjusted their target difficulty for Savage, making it more forgiving in general and so making it much more welcoming to PUG. At the moment everything has echo, but if they tune the first tier of Omega like the last tier of Creator a dedicated solo player will be able to PUG it, in no small part thanks to the advent of cross-server PF. Party Finder groups now can pull from your entire datacenter, which is a huge boon to servers with smaller raiding communities. More accessible raids + more tools at your disposal to form groups that might not implode = better overall. Static life will still generally be more stable and faster overall, but the relaxed raid difficulty also makes joining a new group without extensive research less likely to ruin your life.

That said, DF is DF and that won't ever change, and they'll continue to add echo to everything the second it becomes old content.

Leveling combat is potentially going to end up being even more annoying because they're doing an overall skill number reduction, so there'll be fewer buttons to spread around. Most jobs had a few combos they used in sequence, and that more or less will remain the case, but they're reworking a lot and changing a lot of jobs to focus on build and spend systems. It'll still end up gravitating around a single priority system or rotation in most cases, but it's hard to accurately judge anything until it goes live. Except that the new WHM resource system is dumb.

Healing and tanking is getting tweaked but will probably remain as healing and tanking have always been, only with the added boost of Astrologian being incredibly dumb levels of OP.

Most of these are still kind of unknown; they're adding swimming to Stormblood and theoretically dropping PS3 could let them make zones more interesting, but I'm guessing the world will still kind of have a shoebox diorama feel to it, because I am incredibly pessimistic. Crafting and gathering don't look to have changed much, aside from removing the equivalent of their capped tome grind. They've added a few things to make them less annoying (Zhloe stuff is a fairly cheap and easy path to some experience without having to go all-in financially), but they're still kind of the same thing.

Is this based on server? I've never had tons of people bail in random queues. People will usually stick around for a while, hell in Titan extreme it took a bit before people left.

It depends on what you're doing, probably? 90% of content in the game won't be subject to this problem, but people rage quitting the current EX primal or current raid tier pre-echo when they decide somebody is dumb is still a thing.

The last part is kind of weird? FFXIV is a super rigid game in design; there's not really any room for choice without it amounting to doing it wrong. Like, there are people who have insisted Hot Shot is not worth keeping up because it's only 5%. That's basically just wrong; not harass somebody and ruin their life wrong, but "man you really should push that button" style.

But realistically whether or not it matters is going to depend on what you're doing. I basically only ever do EXDR as part of a two-man group at this point because I know we can just sprint through and if the PUG DPS want to push buttons to help, awesome, and if they don't we'll be fine anyway. I don't care if people want to do things 'wrong' in most content as long as it's not wiping us, because most of the time it totally does not matter. That said, if I'm in a group doing a thing with an actual DPS check, and somebody's omitting important DPS stuff from their play, and we're dying, I'm probably going to bring it up? I dunno, it's always this awkward situation of I'm less of a dick in-game than I probably come across on message boards, but I will assume anybody in srs content with me actually wants to clear it and I'll poke and prod about things they're doing that might keep us from being able to.

Reposting for new page:

Do you guys recommend a beginner craft I can start while my wife isn't playing that will help us be self-sufficient later on? I don't want to level without her, but want to start something.

I'm new (level 18). Is there a recommended craft I start to develop to a) make money and b) keep my wife and I self-sufficient in making gear and/or consumables?

yami4ct

Reposting for new page:

I'm new (level 18). Is there a recommended craft I start to develop to a) make money and b) keep my wife and I self-sufficient in making gear and/or consumables?

Depends on how much time you want to put in up front and when you want to make money. On the crafting end, if you want to push your way all the way to 60 and cap to 70 soon after SB hits, go with the gear classes (Blacksmith, Armorcraft, Leatherworker). All of the most high end HQ gear is going to sell like hotcakes for the first group of raiding parties until raid gear becomes widely available. Outside of that, go Alchemist. Top level stat boosting potions are a key focus for raids and will likely stay that way and sell for good money.

On the gathering end, Botany is still probably your best bet. Fishing continues to be pretty poor at making money and the best mining value drops out once again when the raid gear comes in and people don't have to make weapons/armor anymore.

As for being self sufficient on consumable stuff, you'll honestly be fine without a class outside of high tier raids. Potions aren't really used much outside solo content and you get more gil from quests than you can use on those anyway. Gil isn't the most useful resource for XIV really. Once you get a class that can rake it in a decent clip, you'll be able to buy whatever you need even for high tier raiding from the markets as well so you don't really need more than one class on that.

Foxxsoxx

SHE TRIED HER HARDEST TO CLOTH YOUR UNGRATEFUL ASS B-DEX. SHE'S AN ACCOUNTANT WHAT DO YOU EXPECT FROM HER. SHE EVEN WENT OUT INTO THE DANGEROUS WILDS TO HELP FUND THE SCIONS. SHE IS A SMOL PRECIOUS STONE AND MUST BE PROTECTED.

I for one welcome our evil potato overlords.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Lalafell are not evil, Ul'dah's Lalafell's bad evil habits are simply a result of the city being a hellhole.
Fact- ALL Lalafells are Evil even the one's that don't look Evil

Fact- Lalafell kids don't actually exist. Every single Lalafell are home grown to that size at your local Lalafell farm.

Fact- All Lalafells are Zodiark worshipers who are attempting to destroy the realm.

Fact- Anyone else who tries to dispute these facts are either Lalafells themselves who are trying to silence this truth or are Lalafell sympathizers who have obvious become corrupted/changed by Zodiark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom