• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

Question. Are they still doing that story skip for stormblood? I think its like $25. I might do that, cause I really don't want to finish out all this 3.0 stuff.

Is it account wide, and will the cutscenes unlock so you can at least view the stuff you missed?

It's per character, but yes you can view the scenes in your room.

RPGCrazied

It's per character, but yes you can view the scenes in your room.

Okay. Thanks. I have a level 60 already, so don't need the level skip. Now the level 50 Ninja I will just finish 2.0 and skip HS stuff later.

I have two characters. I know all you need is one, but I just wanted another race.

LaneDS

Finished 3.3 encounter
The Final Steps of Faith
last night and that was a great fight with solid story payoffs. Always amazed at how well-thought out the story is and how much effort goes into the writing (or at least the localization?) for the game. Looking forward to what's left between here and being ready for Stormblood.

Cheers to the group I went in with... seemed like mostly new folks and only took us one wipe to get people through it too.

Crimson Harvest

Neo Member
20% through the light grind on the only anima I've ever attempted, how do you superhumans get even one of these done, let alone several?

Anyway life on Sarg is pretty good, and a bunch of my friends have come back in the last couple weeks in anticipation of the expansion.

adversarial

What main story quest did you just finish? (You can check your Journal if you're not sure.) Each main story quest should pick up in the same place where the last one finished, and if there's a level requirement you don't meet yet it'll show up as a red locked icon.

Ishgard is inaccessible until you complete the 2.x story line and reach Heavensward. You can't access the Dark Knight job until then.

Thanks for the info!

I found the next quest in the main story line. Since I hit 33, I started leveling my second class (Marauder) and I'll get that to 15, and then go get my chocobo companion so it can fight with me.

Is there anyone that is on routinely at night? I've been trying to get an invite to the guild for like 42 levels, haha.

wamberz1

Trailer spoilers
I seriously doubt they just spoiled that Y'shtola is going to die. It's too early in the trailer for an OH SHIT moment and people have suffered worse wounds and walked them off in this game. She'll be fine, I think that was just supposed to be a big-bad-showing-up-early-to-wreck-shit moment.

And uhhh... not sure I'm sold on Zenos voice...

Gala

Stupid question, but where can I grab 58+ Miner gear left and right side? I only found a Goblin Trader in Idyllshire that's selling tools.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the villains' voices here.

That Garlean national anthem though. GLORIOUS.

SE have a habit of spoiling things in their trailers. Heck, I still remember one of the Japanese Type-0 (for PSP) trailers being very explicit. But in this case
as FFXIV is already known for playing the "just a flesh wound" many times over the course of Heavensward's run, who even knows if this is a fatal injury for Y'shtola and a permanent one at that. They were already waving a death flag for her back at Matoya's Cave.

R0ckman

I wouldn't mind the grinding if I wasn't wasting so much time sitting waiting for queues.

YAS. So hyped. Early access will be grinding out SAM lvls.

Whats the fastest method to this? In heavensward I just ran dungeons over and over for fun trying to complete sets and was able to level fast.

Hi guys,

New player here - hope this is where questions and the like go.

I'm a veteran FF11 player, and decided to jump into 14 finally with my wife. We did the friendship circlet promotion and we're having fun playing (currently level 18).

I know everyone's first reccomendation is to NOT compare the two games, but does leveling in a group ever come into play outside of endgame or raiding? Right now my wife and I have been doing the story quests in a party, but sometimes we get to solo instances where we have to play alone and it's a bit frustrating.

Is there a level where level progression is reliant forming a group? Maybe some old FF11 players could answer here since they'll understand what I mean (Valkurm Dunes?).

I'm currently reading through the OT and studying the newbie guides!

Trailer spoilers
I seriously doubt they just spoiled that Y'shtola is going to die. It's too early in the trailer for an OH SHIT moment and people have suffered worse wounds and walked them off in this game. She'll be fine, I think that was just supposed to be a big-bad-showing-up-early-to-wreck-shit moment.

And uhhh... not sure I'm sold on Zenos voice...
While I can't imagine that trailer would spoil something like that I also cannot imagine how she would be able to fight one vs one with the Empire's head.

rbrogue

Hi guys,

New player here - hope this is where questions and the like go.

I'm a veteran FF11 player, and decided to jump into 14 finally with my wife. We did the friendship circlet promotion and we're having fun playing (currently level 18).

I know everyone's first reccomendation is to NOT compare the two games, but does leveling in a group ever come into play outside of endgame or raiding? Right now my wife and I have been doing the story quests in a party, but sometimes we get to solo instances where we have to play alone and it's a bit frustrating.

Is there a level where level progression is reliant forming a group? Maybe some old FF11 players could answer here since they'll understand what I mean (Valkurm Dunes?).

I'm currently reading through the OT and studying the newbie guides!

I played 11 from launch for like 4 or 5 years and no it never becomes like that. Grouping is only really for high level/raid content. Obviously you guys can level together but it's nothing like 11.

<edit> the closest to it really is occasionally the storyline demands you do a dungeon to progress which you do need a group to complete but typically you'll just use dungeon finder to get a group so it's rather impersonal compared to 11 in my experience.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Can someone gif the RDM LB? :D

fUkDWv0.gif

I played 11 from launch for like 4 or 5 years and no it never becomes like that. Grouping is only really for high level/raid content. Obviously you guys can level together but it's nothing like 11.

<edit> the closest to it really is occasionally the storyline demands you do a dungeon to progress which you do need a group to complete but typically you'll just use dungeon finder to get a group so it's rather impersonal compared to 11 in my experience.

I see - thanks for the insight.

Is that how MMO's are now? I never played WoW and FF11 was really my only MMO so I just assumed the need for grouping was a staple. Does relying on others just come from Auction House/End Game/Random Fate Encounters? And what you outlined?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Is that how MMO's are now? I never played WoW and FF11 was really my only MMO so I just assumed the need for grouping was a staple. Does relying on others just come from Auction House/End Game/Random Fate Encounters? And what you outlined?

Almost all modern MMO's are designed in such a way that you can log on and generally progress solo if that is all you want to do. At sub-max level that usually means doing quests, but at max level it means using things like duty finder to automatically be placed in groups with people for multiplayer content. So that's kind of a midway point between totally solo and spending the time to manually find a group for stuff (which is still a good idea for a lot of the high level content)

Forced grouping for leveling content tends to be a thing of the past though, aside from a few dungeons (and those can be queued for)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

11 was a very different beast. It wasn't really until the final expansion that they made things more solo friendly.

Crosseyes

Banned
Is that DRG with the red Gae Bolg supposed to be Estienien?
Oh boy do I sure hope so.

Ishgard has fighters that were honed facing millenia old dragons. Some rebels punching machines could use some help of that calibur. He's in a perfect position to make a 'save the day' entrance somewhere in the story to help the scions. Plus it would make sense if he's back for the DRG quests. How else are we going to learn to harness powers involving a dragon's eye?

When you need to run a dungeon to progress the story, you can always group with your wife, then hit the Duty Finder. It'll find the two remaining players you'll need to form a 4-man party, and you'll be able to do the dungeon together.

But other than that, you don't NEED to group in order to level up in XIV. But you can always group and do FATES if you want.

And if you haven't yet, unlock Palace of the Dead in Quarrymill. That's another method of leveling that's group friendly. It's especially useful for leveling additional classes.

Forced grouping for leveling content tends to be a thing of the past though, aside from a few dungeons (and those can be queued for)

11 was a very different beast. It wasn't really until the final expansion that they made things more solo friendly.

Thanks for the pointers, guys! Guess I'll just keep my wife entertained myself.

Is there a craft you recommend I start while she's not online so we can be self sufficient? I don't want to level without her, but want to do something productive.

IvorB

That trailer is pretty hype but I think I heard Ala Mighan people talking in British accents in the beginning. For an eastern themed location that would be incredibly lame but also not something I would put passed the crappy English localisation team.

Oh wait... it will be in Japanese for me. Crisis averted. :)

rbrogue

FATEs are even debatable because they scale depending on participation, so if nobody has been in an area for a while you can solo most of the fates, at worst you might need 2.

WoW changed the MMO Landscape pretty significantly and nothing I've experienced comes close to the hardcore/punishing grind of old MMO's.

erawsd

It's wild to see you back at FF14. Hope you stick around for a bit this time!

Thanks, I wish I had come back a bit earlier so that I could really dive into the current content instead of rushing to get through the main quests for Stormblood.

studyguy

Yshtola isn't dead most likely. She's in Dissidia so she's never dying.
I mean if she is then RIP, they took her eyesight, might as well take her life too.

Catgirls suck anyway.

Wow, after posting yesterday about how long it looked like it would now take to level up the quests stacked so rapidly in the forest area that I went up four levels to 26 :O This pleased me. Alas, for the first time I am level gated for a story mission....The story mission I'm at requires level 27 and I need around 15k more xp I think. I wonder what I did wrong for this to happen. I guess they suddenly expect you to do side quests considering I was always higher level the the msq before haha Well, I guess that all I can do now is pick up the side quests in the little outpost I'm at right now for 4k or so a piece and hopefully it shouldn't take too long to continue.

I also was finally able to try the next Pugilist mission and level 25 quest my ass! I'm putting the dummies around and the first three were cake and not dangerous areas really at all and then suddenly I'm supposed to go through a bandit den with all level 28 enemies....wtf? I tried to be a ninja and sneak past most of them which worked reasonably well but there's just no way to plant the dummy without aggroing a couple particular enemies. I wonder why the mission is slated 25. Although the other spots were easy, it was mostly due to being able to easily slip around to the plant spots. Anyway, I guess I'll have to level up so more before tackling that den. I will plant that dummy!

In other news, Ydr and Palpyaworthless were indeed as terrible as Theracred. My god how are any of them scions? ;p Hey Squall, it sounds like things are getting really dangerous but you go ahead and handle it all by yourself while we go play Triple Triad in the safe city. Let us know when you completely resolve the issue and we'll conveniently pop up to take credit with the elder! Thanks! <3 your worthless fellow scions. I really thought these two would be running around with me and at least pulling some aggro...what a fool I was haha Hero of the world indeed. I only remain a Scion for waifu Minfilia. Note: I'm not actually upset but I think it's kind of funny.

The sylphs were kinda cool though it's too bad I wont' get a Ramuh trial. Clever, wily old man! He knows what's up. Here's your crystal sir, please don't slaughter me.

Oh btw, when should I start using spoilers? When I get to Heavensward? Or should I be spoilering ARR stuff too? I figure this early portion of the story wouldn't be a problem at least but don't want to ruin it for anybody.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
That trailer is pretty hype but I think I heard Ala Mighan people talking in British accents in the beginning. For an eastern themed location that would be incredibly lame but also not something I would put passed the crappy English localisation team.

Ala Mhigan have talked in northern English accents this entire time.

Considering how awful their attempts at asian accents are, I'm not really complaining. There will be enough mildly racist accents in Othard for all.

They've talked like this the whole time, SLOPPEH

aceface

Seems like we're going to get our ass kicked in Ala Mihgo at first. Good, the game needs some good villains again. The dragons and evil pope were boring.

And if you haven't yet, unlock Palace of the Dead in Quarrymill. That's another method of leveling that's group friendly. It's especially useful for leveling additional classes.

We started in Ul'Dah so she could be a mage. Not sure if that matters, but thanks! I'll look into the Palace.

WoW changed the MMO Landscape pretty significantly and nothing I've experienced comes close to the hardcore/punishing grind of old MMO's.

Yeah, FF11 is all I know of MMOs so it's a big change for me.

Do you guys recommend a beginner craft I can start while my wife isn't plying that will help us be self-sufficient later on? I don't want to level without her, but want to start something.

theosi

I've got like 25 orchestrion rolls taking up space in my inventory and no orchestrion. i dont feel like paying 500k on the market.

would it be fairly simple to make myself if i put some time into crafting?

IvorB

Ala Mhigan have talked in northern british accents this entire time.

Considering how awful their attempts at asian accents are, I'm not really complaining. There will be enough mildly racist accents in Othard for all.

They've talked like this the whole time, SLOPPEH

Yeah but I never picked on it because I never thought where they are originally from is supposed to be an eastern themed placed. Also credible that they no longer have the accent of their area of origin. Now we are going to their area of origin and it's eastern themed, it's incredibly jarring. But anyway, no biggie for me as I won't hear it.

Reknoc

Ala Mighans have had a Yorkshire accent since like, before 3.0 with ilberd and then Raubharn. I love the English va but kinda hate this because it's a goofy-ass accent and I can't take it seriously. Hard to get much drama when everyone sounds like the cast from Last of the Summer Wine.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've got like 25 orchestrion rolls taking up space in my inventory and no orchestrion. i dont feel like paying 500k on the market.

would it be fairly simple to make myself if i put some time into crafting?

You'd be better off finding someone who can craft one for you and just buy the materials. Shouldn't cost you any more than 200,000 (probably less). That's how I got mine.

Also you can just use the orchestrion rolls to get them out of your inventory. They'll go on your Orchestrion List whether you own one or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom