• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

adversarial

How is the end-game raiding in FFXIV? I come from about 10 years of tanking in WoW, and the videos I've watched seem legit. I love the smaller group (8-man raids, right?) I am planning on going DRK and tanking, is this class viable?

Crafting: Is this something I should level? I'm 33 Lancer / 15 Marauder at the moment. Just got my Chocobo companion, and just did that Elizabeth Bathory-style Story Duty. Is Crafting worth it?

The profession system in WoW is what I'm used to, is there herb gathering / mining / etc. in FFXIV? I haven't taken one look at the crafting system yet, as I was anxious to get to max level before Stormblood.

I realize these are scrub-level questions, but I've legit only played WoW and there seems to be a shit load of FFXIV-specific mechanics. I am definitely reading through all of the guides and links in the OP as well.

Aeana

That's kind of weird. So I could, for instance, start playing redmage on the 16th, and then on the 20th if for whatever reason I don't enter the Stormblood code itself the job will be disabled?

This is personal speculation, but based on my experience with other MMOs, if you do things on your account to associate yourself with expansion content and then don't enter the code, I would expect you can't log in until you do. Early access codes are only given to people who preordered the game, so there's the expectation that you've already purchased it, essentially.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I can't answer crafting questions, but I am fairly sure the answer to "is this class viable" is "yes" in pretty much every instance.

Renkax

:( just had the worst situation happen to me. i bought stormblood 30 mins ago via GMG and while the 18 code worked and i picked PC for the code i go on the site to use the 20 digit code and it says invalid :(( idk what to do . i sent both sites a ticket so they can help me sort this out.

adversarial

I can't answer crafting questions, but I am fairly sure the answer to "is this class viable" is "yes" in pretty much every instance.

So everything is pretty balanced? That's good to hear. For hardcore progression, there would always be the "go-to" tanks I had to pick, so I didn't have much freedom of selection.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So everything is pretty balanced? That's good to hear. For hardcore progression, there would always be the "go-to" tanks I had to pick, so I didn't have much freedom of selection.

Well we may be going off different definitions of "viable." There probably is a best tank for any given encounter (as is the case in WoW), but afaik there is no class that is so far behind as to be a detriment.

Balanced isn't the word I'd use but you won't have trouble clearing any content with anything. Hardcore progression has their own meta which puts a few jobs in disadvantage but nothing too serious as far as tanks are concerned.

Yam's

How is the end-game raiding in FFXIV? I come from about 10 years of tanking in WoW, and the videos I've watched seem legit. I love the smaller group (8-man raids, right?) I am planning on going DRK and tanking, is this class viable?

All jobs are viable so just pick the one you enjoy the most. As for end-game raiding, the challenge itself is good, but you won't find as much content here as in WoW. Typically you get 4 bosses per raid and the content last for ~7months. Compared to WoW, there is only 2 difficulty, casual (story) and hard (savage). If you're in a guild that can quickly clear savage, you won't have as much to do as in WoW.

There are also one-boss battles (primals) that get released every 3-4 months, but they're more on a mid-core difficulty.

Crafting: Is this something I should level? I'm 33 Lancer / 15 Marauder at the moment. Just got my Chocobo companion, and just did that Elizabeth Bathory-style Story Duty. Is Crafting worth it?

The profession system in WoW is what I'm used to, is there herb gathering / mining / etc. in FFXIV? I haven't taken one look at the crafting system yet, as I was anxious to get to max level before Stormblood.

Crafting is where the real money's at. It's the only point of crafting as you won't use it to gear yourself (some patches introduced viable gears, but never for long). So if you want money, level some crafts/gatherers.

You got the equivalent of mining/herbalism and you got fishing instead of skinning. Gathering is only useful to make money or be self-efficient in crafting.

You can totally ignore crafting/gathering btw. Money is useful in FF14 if you're interested in cosmetics and housing only. You will always get enough money to teleport/repair your stuff just by doing end-game activities.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
That's kind of weird. So I could, for instance, start playing redmage on the 16th, and then on the 20th if for whatever reason I don't enter the Stormblood code itself the job will be disabled?

When I had different licenses between PC and PS4, if I logged out in HW areas I was not able to log in, but if I logged out in ARR areas I was, and I wouldn't gain any exp past 50 even if I was already actually past 50 in that state, but I didn't think of trying to access HW jobs. My guess based on this is that if you log out on old jobs you'll be able to log in, but not switch to new jobs or go to new areas.

adversarial

You can totally ignore crafting/gathering btw. Money is useful in FF14 if you're interested in cosmetics and housing only. You will always get enough money to teleport/repair your stuff just by doing end-game activities.

Awesome - I will most likely ignore it. I was tempted to craft gear, but I reckon, as you said, it won't last long if I'm active.

iammeiam

It's not so much that everything is balanced as it is that the game's tuning is such that outside of world-first progression stuff, Pretty Much Nothing Matters.

It basically turns into a situation where if you want to make sure you're best equipped to handle a fight, there will pretty much always be a clearly superior set of jobs to take in, but if you just want to go do the thing, the thing will be doable on whatever set of jobs you throw at it. For Creator, the optimal comp was DRK/WAR/SCH/AST/NIN/BRD/DRG/MCH, and stacking those jobs would give groups an obscene amount of synergy for much higher damage. But since the tier as a whole was tuned so low, running the above comp was overkill for anything actually necessary. Speedruns or whatever, sure, but actual midcore prog you could throw pretty much anything at.

It's an important distinction largely because if you do try to go for hardcore progression you probably will be faced with an optimal comp situation. We don't know what it is yet given the scope of the changes coming next week, but a group that identifies as hardcore is probably going to push for the meta hard and expect everyone to have multiple jobs raid-ready so that they can guarantee the optimal comp. But actual hardcore raid groups are a vanishingly small part of the already relatively small general raid community, and you should ultimately be able to find a group on any job. But it's not because the jobs are incredibly balanced and there's not better and worse options, it's because the content is designed so you can choose all the worse options and still clear.

There's some talk of adding one-off Really Really Hard fights in the odd-numbered patches (the ones that come in between raid tiers), and depending on how the fights are tuned you could end up in a situation where optimal becomes a lot more important to beat DPS checks, but as is even the most annoying tiers have been doable on any combination of jobs once out of the under geared/early prog stuff.

Edit: I'd also note that money or access to crafters is potentially kind of important in an early prog context if they repeat the Heavensward gear cycle. Essentially when each new tier dropped, they added in crafted sets that were 10 ilvls over the best gear from the previous tier. So if you're trying to push from day one, you want to get your hands on crafted ASAP for the extra damage and Vit and whatever because all of your old gear is now at a disadvantage. It's not mandatory, but it is something that is a concern for early progression raiding.

cerulily

Hey folks, i know there is a trade thread, but is anyone here about to pre-order stormblood on steam? I'm looking to gift the steam version to someone in exchange for the regular windows copy. (sorry if this isn't allowed here)

Thorgal

something i just realized and so this is just a theory but
Zenos might be carrying 3 swords for more reasons then just looking badass .

like so we know Garleans don't have a shred of Magic in them so they can't do the awesome shit we pull .

So they solved that problem by building machines and devices that would allow them to do said awesome shit .

Now if we take for grated that Zenos is a roided up samurai it could mean that each of his swords is used for a different Sen stance .

duckroll

This is personal speculation, but based on my experience with other MMOs, if you do things on your account to associate yourself with expansion content and then don't enter the code, I would expect you can't log in until you do. Early access codes are only given to people who preordered the game, so there's the expectation that you've already purchased it, essentially.

Isn't it stupid that it's two codes though? Lol. Square Enix....

Thorgal

Isn't it stupid that it's two codes though? Lol. Square Enix....

how would that be stupid ?

1 code is for giving you early access to the game

the other for adding stormblood expansion to your game account .

And a third code for the preorder bonus items .

iammeiam

how would that be stupid ?

1 code is for giving you early access to the game

the other for adding stormblood expansion to your game account .

And a third code for the preorder bonus items .

There are only two codes per platform that go into MogStation -- The Preorder Bonus Code that gives you both the Stormblood Early Access bubble in Account status and unlocks the preorder items in Bonus - > View Additional Items, and then eventual game registration key.

They do two codes largely as a courtesy to the players, I think. The preorder code happens before the orders are actually charged, so everyone can make sure they have their Early Access stuff registered in advance and won't miss out on EA due to a CC charging issue or their preorder getting derailed by stock issues or something. Then, since the preorder code comes out so far in advance, there's a second code showing you did in fact purchase the end product. The EA code is supposed to keep you active in SB until, like, the 23rd to allow for physical orders getting delivered late.

Thorgal

There are only two codes per platform that go into MogStation -- The Preorder Bonus Code that gives you both the Stormblood Early Access bubble in Account status and unlocks the preorder items in Bonus - > View Additional Items, and then eventual game registration key.

They do two codes largely as a courtesy to the players, I think. The preorder code happens before the orders are actually charged, so everyone can make sure they have their Early Access stuff registered in advance and won't miss out on EA due to a CC charging issue or their preorder getting derailed by stock issues or something. Then, since the preorder code comes out so far in advance, there's a second code showing you did in fact purchase the end product. The EA code is supposed to keep you active in SB until, like, the 23rd to allow for physical orders getting delivered late.

right only 2 codes , my bad . mistook the vanilla game on my steam as the 3rd code

iammeiam

Do people just ask their Companies to help them via unsync? Can't imagine doing this over and over with PUGs.

TBH at 70 you could probably just solo it without too much trouble. At 60 unsync'd with two people you already have to hold DPS to avoid pushing him into a jump early and wiping the party during the second generator section.

Why is this even spoiler tagged when it isn't a spoiler?! I don't think they can pull off a Primal in disguise thing because Primals by their nature require a ton of crystals to sustain. It would just be weird.

Putting things behind spoilers makes them
more mysterious? I don't know, it just seemed appropriate to spoiler it.

Anoregon

Pre-order game

Get early access and expac code all rolled into one

Cancel pre-order

????

Profit?

If they early access key is the xpac key, then they charge you at time of purchase and thus you can't cancel.

That's a pretty easy fix.

Sorian

Banned
If they early access key is the xpac key, then they charge you at time of purchase and thus you can't cancel.

That's a pretty easy fix.

Amazon doesn't charge for pre-orders

Best buy doesn't charge for pre-orders

etc.

Hell, SE store doesn't even charge for pre-orders.

I don't think all of these places are going to change their policy for a single release. I "lol SE" as much as the next guy but the reason the early access code is different from the actual game code is pretty apparent.

R0ckman

TBH at 70 you could probably just solo it without too much trouble. At 60 unsync'd with two people you already have to hold DPS to avoid pushing him into a jump early and wiping the party during the second generator section.

Actually you are right, just watched a video of a paladin from 10 months ago soloing it with relative ease. Finished in about 11 minutes. With Samurai and how much damage output he has this should be a joke at 70. Honestly easier doing it this way since I have trouble some times keeping track of mechanics with all of the flashing and crap that goes on in these huge party queues.

Thank you!

Squishy3

Amazon doesn't charge for pre-orders

Best buy doesn't charge for pre-orders

etc.

Hell, SE store doesn't even charge for pre-orders.

I don't think all of these places are going to change their policy for a single release. I "lol SE" as much as the next guy but the reason the early access code is different from the actual game code is pretty apparent.
If I'm not mistaken, Amazon charges immediately for digital preorders (this is the case on most digital preorders via retailers though) while you could order the physical edition of Stormblood and still get the early access key without being charged until it's shipped.

R0ckman

So does anyone else get pulled into a hypnotic trance from raids? With so much flashing going on I tend to start zoning out on ocassion and have trouble keeping track of whats going on with attacks. What do people do to help themselves with this?

Squishy3

I believe he's referring to the issue in the launcher, of which there are potential solutions at the bottom of the OP for this thread.

also leveling blm and didn't think i'd enjoy black mage this much

latest

Really? I pre-ordered 2 days ago and nothing. They said it could take up to 2 days though so I wait.
it could also appear in the message center on your amazon account instead of through an email, so maybe check in there. if it hasn't arrived by tomorrow try going to chat support

Aeana

So does anyone else get pulled into a hypnotic trance from raids? With so much flashing going on I tend to start zoning out on ocassion and have trouble keeping track of whats going on with attacks. What do people do to help themselves with this?

Try messing with these?

hOWC14p.png

rubius01

I believe he's referring to the issue in the launcher, of which there are potential solutions at the bottom of the OP for this thread.

latest

it could also appear in the message center on your amazon account instead of through an email, so maybe check in there. if it hasn't arrived by tomorrow try going to chat support

You're using the wrong anime witch......

scy

BLM would certainly be a lot more enticing with Dragon Slave.

I typically play with other people's effects off; rarely will their spells matter to me (within reason, they've since made sure we can see bubble effects like Asylum, Sacred Soil, Shadow Flare, Turret AoE, etc.) so it's usually not a big loss there. Plus, I generally narrate fights a lot in raids (...even to myself without voice chat) so I have most the fight timelines known so there's a lot that's simply knowing what's coming up and the individual rhythm of the fights.

For first times seeing fights, it's usually a more detached approach to the fight and paying more attention to what follows what and what individual effects from a boss look like in particular.

otakukidd

latest

Thanks I was able to find it.

latest

Blm really is fantastic. Fire 4 nuking dungeon bosses is great. Its also THE best class to get downsync to lvl 50 too since you get to relive thunder/fire proc heaven.

That said, fuck raiding on one. Even triple cast won't be enough to make me feel like my dps has gone to shit when I have to move.

I have Heavensward on PC, but only the base game on PS4.

If I log in on PS4 all my jobs are level synced to lv50. I can use MCH/AST/DRK normally though (that's the surprising part). The only times I can't log in on the PS4 is if I log out on a HW zone. Not usually a problem because I'd rather hang out at Mist than Idylshire.

erawsd

At first I thought it was just Alphinaud, but I guess they recast everyone in Heavensward? The VO is way better so I can see why they did it but it is a bit jarring since I've played this all back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom