• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT3| Keniki Gauge Cost: 20,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeana

I'm pretty happy with my layout, but some of the screenshots I've seen of this game are disgusting. Some people have ui elements everywhere, including the middle of the screen. Dunno how anyone could play like that.

I'm not sure how close to the middle of the screen you're talking, but I put my party setup closer to the center than the edge. I need to be able to actually see them when I'm healing without looking into the corner so I can keep an eye on the action and party health at the same time.

Luminaire

Same for mine pretty much, my UI frames the center so I know who I'm healing, who I'm focused on, my current target, the cooldowns on my fairy abilities, etc. Healer UIs are usually pretty different from DPS UIs I've seen.

duckroll

If I wanna get two copies of the English Encyclopedia Eorzea what's the best way? Is the S-E Store really the only option? Do I have to make two separate orders and pay the ridiculous shipping twice? Help. :(

And why does the store not have a FAT CHOCOBO PILLOW to make this less painful?

I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer a quick question.

I already have an account and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is installed on my PS4. My partner's brother wants to try it; if he "purchases" the free trial edition on the PSN Store using his PSN account, will he need to download a new, separate version of the game? Or will he be able to use the currently installed edition?

Wilsongt

I'm hoping someone here might be able to answer a quick question.

I already have an account and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is installed on my PS4. My partner's brother wants to try it; if he "purchases" the free trial edition on the PSN Store using his PSN account, will he need to download a new, separate version of the game? Or will he be able to use the currently installed edition?

If they want to play at the same time, they both need their own copy of the game and their account. However, if he wants to play on his own and not play with his partner at the same time, then he can just make a new character. You can have up to 8.

If they want to play at the same time, they both need their own copy of the game and their account. However, if he wants to play on his own and not play with his partner at the same time, then he can just make a new character. You can have up to 8.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I currently don't have an active subscription, but he wants to try the game to see if it's something he'll be interested in playing long term. If he "purchases" the free trial edition via the PSN Store, will he need to redownload/download a new separate version of the game? Or can he just use the existing version already installed on the PS4?

Wilsongt

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I currently don't have an active subscription, but he wants to try the game to see if it's something he'll be interested in playing long term. If he "purchases" the free trial edition via the PSN Store, will he need to redownload/download a new separate version of the game? Or can he just use the existing version already installed on the PS4?

Hm... My guess would be he would need to download the trial client onto the PS4 and then create his own account since client side will read your account as a full game subscription, and then will read his account as just a trial.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If I wanna get two copies of the English Encyclopedia Eorzea what's the best way? Is the S-E Store really the only option? Do I have to make two separate orders and pay the ridiculous shipping twice? Help. :(

And why does the store not have a FAT CHOCOBO PILLOW to make this less painful?
If you want the English encyclopedia, I'm afraid that's the only way.

The Japanese one, on the other hand, is available on Amazon Japan.

duckroll

If you want the English encyclopedia, I'm afraid that's the only way.

The Japanese one, on the other hand, is available on Amazon Japan.

I know the books are on Amazon Japan. I'm planning to put in an order for all 3 artbooks that way since it is far cheaper and the artbooks are dual language anyway. I specifically want the English lorebook because it can't be bought easily in a store. A friend of mine already has the Japanese one, but I wanna help him get an English copy since it's easier to read. I wanna get one for myself too. It's just a huge pain in the ass.

Has S-E ever explained why they don't sell the English books on Amazon? What's the point of keeping it exclusive to an storefront that is so poorly run?

I know the books are on Amazon Japan. I'm planning to put in an order for all 3 artbooks that way since it is far cheaper and the artbooks are dual language anyway. I specifically want the English lorebook because it can't be bought easily in a store. A friend of mine already has the Japanese one, but I wanna help him get an English copy since it's easier to read. I wanna get one for myself too. It's just a huge pain in the ass.

Has S-E ever explained why they don't sell the English books on Amazon? What's the point of keeping it exclusive to an storefront that is so poorly run?

Is it because it comes with a bonus code for an in-game item?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is it because it comes with a bonus code for an in-game item?
Soundtracks and artbooks also come with bonus codes and they're being sold on Amazon. That said, looking at the listing, it seems that they are all imports from Japan. Interesting.

I was lucky enough to get the English book (Japanese one is useless to me, since I'm playing in English) thanks to my FC friends who went to the Tokyo fanfest.
I think this was the only way of getting the English Encyclopedia in Japan without asking someone in USA/Europe to buy it on the SE store and mail it to you.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Soundtracks and artbooks also come with bonus codes and they're being sold on Amazon. That said, looking at the listing, it seems that they are all imports from Japan. Interesting.

I was lucky enough to get the English book (Japanese one is useless to me, since I'm playing in English) thanks to my FC friends who went to the Tokyo fanfest.
I think this was the only way of getting the English Encyclopedia in Japan without asking someone in USA/Europe to buy it on the SE store and mail it to you.

Are they being sold on Amazon by Square, or by third party sellers?

Kenai

I preordered the PS4 version from Amazon UK and I still haven't had a preorder code.

How long ago? When i got mine from the US it took like a day and a half cause i guess people were cancelling orders after they got their codes when it was faster

Luigi87

I've fallen so far behind and haven't touched this in two weeks D=
Fortunately have some time this weekend, so powering through some MSQ

Foxxsoxx

Welp got machinist to 45... still don't know if I want to main my bard in SB.

They really need to make more viable levels of methods besides POTD.

It isn't horrible in of itself, but having one way be so superior to everything else is mindblowing.

does anyone know if the XP bonus from fates are exclusive to SB zones or everywhere? I hope the bonuses that they mentioned are actually substantial because I actually enjoy doing fates.

I also think you should get much bigger chain bonuses for killing multiple mobs as right now it's pathetically low and makes it absolutely not worth doing...

C'mon Square. Give players a reason to actually go out into these worlds you make >_>

I'm pretty happy with my layout, but some of the screenshots I've seen of this game are disgusting. Some people have ui elements everywhere, including the middle of the screen. Dunno how anyone could play like that.

This is me in 24 man raids because I never bothered to resize or move the Alliance raid meters so they were always in the middle of my screen taking up a ton of space.

Here's what I came up with after mucking around a bit.

I play with 1600x900 so I don't have as much room to play around with compared to most people that seem to be running higher resolutions.

nusOs1.png

nusk0L.png

nusLwP.png

First one is when I don't have anything held down. My crossbar only shows up when I'm holding R2 or L2 to use something.

Second is when I have R2 held down and third is when I have a focus target.

I shrunk down and moved the alliance bars off to the side right above the quest tracker.

Buffs are right above the focus target bar. Moved that off to the side too since I don't really like having stuff blocking the center.

I see a bunch of people having their target bar at the bottom towards the center and I couldn't do it.

I'm too used to having a big health bar at the top for when I target stuff so I left it up there since it's not obstructing anything.

yami4ct

I'm not sure how close to the middle of the screen you're talking, but I put my party setup closer to the center than the edge. I need to be able to actually see them when I'm healing without looking into the corner so I can keep an eye on the action and party health at the same time.

I probably need to do things like this now that I've picked up both a tank and healer job. Could probably stand to make my party list more viewable for healer and threat list for tank. My current setup isn't ideal, I've just been too lazy to fix it

Thorgal

Usually I put my focus target bar and the enemy list slightly off center in the middle of my screen

Makes it much easier to see tank busters coming and keep an eye on agro on the mobs while tanking.

Got the itch to play yesterday and logged back in for the first time in 8 months. One run of Halhati later and I can with certainty say that I have no idea what I'm doing. Time to finish of the HW storyline.

Is palace of the dead still the best place to farm experience? or should I be grinding fates?

Ken

Got the itch to play yesterday and logged back in for the first time in 8 months. One run of Halhati later and I can with certainty say that I have no idea what I'm doing. Time to finish of the HW storyline.

Is palace of the dead still the best place to farm experience? or should I be grinding fates?

Potd

Wagram

Did they ever state whether or not Gathering/Crafting classes are in the boost potions? Started to think about that today and got scared for the economy if they are available.

ubercheez

This is me in 24 man raids because I never bothered to resize or move the Alliance raid meters so they were always in the middle of my screen taking up a ton of space.

Yeah, likewise. I'm too lazy to mess with the UI so everything I have is default. I wonder if it's possible to download other people's UI configs...

Thorgal

Did they ever state whether or not Gathering/Crafting classes are in the boost potions? Started to think about that today and got scared for the economy if they are available.

Crafters gatherers and the 2 new jobs are not available for the jump potion.

Army's Paeon (Repertiore) will not increase damage dealt by 4% per stack. Other aspects (Weaponskill/Spell cast and recast time, auto-attack delay) are correct.
Well that's disappointing. This song kinda sucks without that.

Asd202

Hey I'm thinking of getting FFXIV pack on PSN as it's on sale right know. The problem is I won't be able to play right now. My question is when does the free 30 days starts?

hank_tree

Hey I'm thinking of getting FFXIV pack on PSN as it's on sale right know. The problem is I won't be able to play right now. My question is when does the free 30 days starts?

Not 100% sure but since you have to make a square account etc. I'd say it doesn't start until you make that account/ link it to your psn.

iammeiam

new famitsu interview with yoshida
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201705/31134240.html
in the version they tested rdm's vercure at i290 heals for 5.5kish, so with dualcast that's 11k
that's quite a respectable amount imo

From the Reddit discussion about this:
The rest:
- DRK's soul survivor trick attack effect is gone
- Red blood of the dragon copies the remaining timer on blood of the dragon. Cannot be extended. Nastrond recast is 10 seconds.
- Corruption Mastery is supposed to level Bio to Bio II, not III.
- Healing Lily is not proc based. Cure 2 will increase Lily gauge

And lots unsurprisingly about potencies being changed and tweaks, but also Yoshida apparently saying the general direction of each job is correct.

I'm hoping the last line is inaccurate because making the lily thing Cure II exclusive is... a thing.

Torquill

I'm just starting some beast tribe quests. Does it take long to get blood sworn with them?
If you are talking literally all of them it's gonna take you at least a couple of real life months. It's several calendar weeks (maybe more?) to do one and the amount of allowances you have per day means you can't hit every tribe every day.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Back when HW was new, was the common reaction to any cutscene involving Estinien and Ysayle "geez, just fuck already"?

Because if anime has taught me anything they are supposed to fuck.

I doubt this is what actually happens.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Back when HW was new, was the common reaction to any cutscene involving Estinien and Ysayle "geez, just fuck already"?

Does not compute.

I always thought it was gonna end on a romantic note, then it didn't happen, althought Estinien does leave flowers in Azys Llya where Ysole died, but it was more an act of respect, then again XIV barely touches actual romance in the main plot

Except Aymeric, which is totaly into my character, poor guy he dosn't know my heart belongs to Merlwyb

Reknoc

The only way Ysale would bump nasties with Estinien is if his race was his job without one of the Os.

iammeiam

Translation of a Dengeki interview with Yoshida.

Nothing really super shocking--balancing tanks is hard, more "I'M not saying healers shoiuld DPS but some people are so we removed Cleric to make it so it's easier for healers to DPS" stuff, etc but a few bits:

HW leveling dungeons too hard, SB will be easier:
Yoshida: Yeah. In Heavensward, the first dungeon Dusk Vigil was actually a bit tough, so we took that into consideration. Also, we had to factor in the large action adjustments that each job is getting this time.

Depending on the job, once you got to level 60 the skill rotation was changed. For this time, we've decreased the difficulty of the dungeons starting at level 61 to be considerably lower than those in the 3.X series, and with the increasing level of each dungeon, you'll feel like the difficulty is gradually going up, and will return to normal as you get close to level 70.

Largely interesting because I thought HW already did tha; Vault at launch was the only dungeon that felt like it could actually kill you.

Pre-warning everyone to expect jobs to feel incomplete until 70 again, which should make sub-50 feel even worse:
When early access starts, there may be people who are comparing level 60 jobs for 3.X to the level 60 job actions at 4.0, and be thinking "what happened to the actions?!" However, this is now the level 70 cap era, so you'll be playing at that level most of the time. Of course, development will continue after we reach level 70, but don't panic once you start playing while you're still level 60.

aceface

The only dungeons from 3.x I found challenging as a healer were Neverreap and Fractal as a fresh 60. Maybe the Vault. Everything else you could sleepwalk through. Nothing was close to the level of Amdapor Keep in 2.0. Trying to beat Demon Wall was a thing and he was the second boss!

With PotD XP grinding, is there any reason not to continually reset and just run 51-60 over and over once you're able? It seems like everything beyond gives the same amount of XP.

scy

For example, for the three tank jobs, warriors had very high solo performance and were top choice as off-tanks. They had a lot of self-healing ability and burst power, so that job already felt close to complete for us.

But that's what's great about warrior. And since so many people use it, rather than trying to push warriors back...

-> remove Warriors self-sustain and add clunk to their stance dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom