• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileS

Londa said:
Looks like you didnt see me say that the first people to 50 had to solo to cap for the most part. This was talked about on the core forums. But I didn't say yes it is practical to solo to cap. I would party before soloing.

Yes they soloed when the rest of their dedicated group for grinding had to sleep or work. Theres not a single person that hit 50 or is in the 40s right now that didn't group grind. Want to know why? because its impossible. Even if you had someone to take over playing for you when you slept it still wouldn't be possible.

I honestly don't care where you read it. Anybody that has played the game for a long stretch of time knows that isn't true.

zlatko

Banned
So, while I was banned I had such a hankering to post in this thread because an incredible thought formed in my head.

Why has Japan not reviewed this game?

Famitsu is pretty much always THE FIRST place to review FF games and get tons of coverage on them. What happened here? I smell MAJOR biasness if they aren't putting out a review this LONG after the release.

Londa

Banned
Rentahamster said:
I did see that obviously, since I responded to your ridiculous comment that "you can solo to cap".

The core forums just guessed at how they did it, and the overall conclusions were, "not by soloing".

I didn't say that you said that it's practical to solo to cap. I just said you have a poor understanding of how the game works if you even think it's possible in reasonable time frame.

There are lots of people higher rank than me who view me with credit, because I know what I'm talking about. There also lots of people lower rank than me whom I view with credit, because they know what they are talking about.

It's not a matter of rank, it's a matter of understanding and credibility. That your posts sound more like a SE press release rehash rather than the opinions of someone who has played the game a lot is quite telling.

that's what I said anyways, he did party and duo with people but most people can not be online for most of the day, plus there was not many people around that rank at that time. So it is possible to solo and get exp. Yes it will take long, but so what, its there. People acting like you can not solo at all is exaggerating. They will fix this later, or it wont be fixed at all. But I assume it will be fixed because they keep talking casual all the time.

I have understanding of the game and have helped and told people about new things in the game that they didn't even know about. You don't know me. You can say, that I have a poor understanding but that doesn't make it true. Saying something about someone over and over won't make it true. But I do have to agree that if you continue to repeat that I have no credit, weak minded individuals that read the forums will believe you because from what I have seen. Most people think, "well if a gaffer said it, it must be 100% true".

Tons of times someone will deem a poster terrible and someone who has never seen this person before, will go on the crusade with trollers because its the popular thing to do.

but you just said that because someone hasn't done as much as you in game wouldn't have much credibility in your opinion. So now you are going back on what you said.
in fact a lot of us have played longer than you, achieved more in-game than you, and understand the game's core mechanics more than you do.

you loose credibility when you say one thing then go back on it when its convent for you. No my comments do not sound like a SE press release. Maybe you are just close minded. Which seems to be true with every comment you put out here.

Randomness from the FFXIV Core:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/27450-sales-of-crafted-goods/

Aurica Valentia is of course notable for being the first (and I believe still the only) rank 50 armorer on Lindblum. He also reportedly has something like 30 million gil at this point, which kind of makes me wonder why he ever cares whether he's able to sell something at 650k as opposed to 200k gil. But he has noticed that his customer base is dwindling, and it's not just because people are tired of paying him money, it's because people are quitting the game. Lindblum was one of the highest population servers in the game during late beta and launch window and increasingly it's population has dwindled, and most of the people who are quitting are the adventurers. All the crafters are complaining about how prices for shards are going up and up, and its because there are fewer and fewer adventurers going out and killing things and gathering shards. A healthy player-driven economy requires both mob-killers and stuff-creators exchanging items to function. So why are adventurers all quitting while crafters aren't? Well, crafting consistently gives you rank advancement and you are always being consistently rewarded with SP for crafting, whereas adventuring leaves you entirely beholden to the RNG and the utterly defective SP gain system for killing monsters not to mention the ridiculous party mechanics where everyone is fighting with everyone else for SP instead of cooperating.

Dreamwriter said:
I dunno what problem you have with repairing your gear, but I'm willing to bet they tested vendoring an inventory full of items quite a lot. But here's the thing: they wouldn't have lag. All their testing until right near the end would have been on a local server. Vendoring an inventory full of items wouldn't be a problem at all if it were instant. Think about it, you select an item, select to sell it, the next one in the list instantly pops up ready to click on. So all it is is a bunch of rapid clicking to clear a large chunk of your inventory. What makes it bad, is there is crap lag with every click.

Its not just the lag, there are so many bizarre design decisions. Like the decision to not display the price when you are vendoring until you've selected the item you want to sell. Um, wouldn't the price be helpful when deciding to sell or not? Then after selling an item, the game dumps you to the next item in your inventory by default; but since your inv is unsortable, that could be anything. So if you don't want to sell that, you have to go out to the full inv list to scroll around selecting something else. Finally, why are there so many goddamn menus at each step? Do I need confirmation menus for vendoring trash, why can't I just do a take-back if I accidentally sell something critical?

The lag just makes the poor design of the UI unbearable.

notworksafe

Londa said:
you loose credibility when you say one thing then go back on it when its convent for you.
Talk about lost credibility. You should have had Square pay for some English lessons before they sent you out to viral market their game.

Teknoman

zlatko said:
So, while I was banned I had such a hankering to post in this thread because an incredible thought formed in my head.

Why has Japan not reviewed this game?

Famitsu is pretty much always THE FIRST place to review FF games and get tons of coverage on them. What happened here? I smell MAJOR biasness if they aren't putting out a review this LONG after the release.

Maybe S-E asked them to wait for the first retailifying patch?

jiggle

zlatko said:

famitsu don't review pc games, iirc

Atrus

Gold Member
Londa said:
that's what I said anyways, he did party and duo with people but most people can not be online for most of the day, plus there was not many people around that rank at that time. So it is possible to solo and get exp. Yes it will take long, but so what, its there. People acting like you can not solo at all is exaggerating. They will fix this later, or it wont be fixed at all. But I assume it will be fixed because they keep talking casual all the time.

I have understanding of the game and have helped and told people about new things in the game that they didn't even know about. You don't know me. You can say, that I have a poor understanding but that doesn't make it true. Saying something about someone over and over won't make it true. But I do have to agree that if you continue to repeat that I have no credit, weak minded individuals that read the forums will believe you because from what I have seen. Most people think, "well if a gaffer said it, it must be 100% true".

Tons of times someone will deem a poster terrible and someone who has never seen this person before, will go on the crusade with trollers because its the popular thing to do.

but you just said that because someone hasn't done as much as you in game wouldn't have much credibility in your opinion. So now you are going back on what you said.

you loose credibility when you say one thing then go back on it when its convent for you. No my comments do not sound like a SE press release. Maybe you are just close minded. Which seems to be true with every comment you put out here.

I've always wondered. What do you and Dreamwriters Lodestone character pages look like?

It's a simple question, but I'm wondering how much less a person has to play in order to come to the same perceptions both of you do?

The idea that playtime doesn't equate with understanding is a false one. We don't hold that opinion when playtime=0 so neither do we assume that any positive figure is equal to that of any other positive figure in terms of time spent. We do however think that there is some sort of threshold for two things. A low threshold to understand the general perception of any thing, and another higher threshold for comprehensive understanding.

We hardly call anyone a subject matter expert if they don't meet a threshold, so how do you meet such a criteria?

Londa

Banned
Atrus said:
I've always wondered. What do you and Dreamwriters Lodestone character pages look like?

It's a simple question, but I'm wondering how much less a person has to play in order to come to the same perceptions both of you do?

The idea that playtime doesn't equate with understanding is a false one. We don't hold that opinion when playtime=0 so neither do we assume that any positive figure is equal to that of any other positive figure in terms of time spent. We do however think that there is some sort of threshold for two things. A low threshold to understand the general perception of any thing, and another higher threshold for comprehensive understanding.

We hardly call anyone a subject matter expert if they don't meet a threshold, so how do you meet such a criteria?

I have nothing to hide.

Lolo Landerlu, look it up.

I could care less what you conclude by looking at it. I have a life, to where I can't devote everyday to playing. So what if I'm not where you think a person with credit to be. I know what I'm talking about and I read up on what is happening with the game even if I'm not playing on a regular basis.

To think that people with school, work, and busy on most weekends have no credit because they can't devote everyday to playing is a bastard way of thinking. I'm actually happy with playing with my friends and doing what I can, when I do have time to play.

Continue to judge people on rank and levels they have achieved. I'm sure there are tons of others who agree with you here that will join in on that. But see, the difference between me and you is I don't care what anyone here thinks of me. I'm happy with myself and need to not prove to you or anyone online anything about me as a person.

Atrus

Gold Member
Londa said:
I have nothing to hide.

Lolo Landerlu, look it up.

I could care less what you conclude by looking at it. I have a life, to where I can't devote everyday to playing. So what if I'm not where you think a person with credit to be. I know what I'm talking about and I read up on what is happening with the game even if I'm not playing on a regular basis.

To think that people with school, work, and busy on most weekends have no credit because they can devote everyday to playing is a bastard way of thinking. I'm actually happy with playing with my friends and doing what I can, when I do have time to play.

Continue to judge people on rank and levels they have achieved. I'm sure there are tons of others who agree with you here that will join in on that. But see, the difference between me and you is I don't care what anyone here thinks of me. I'm happy with myself and need to not prove to you or anyone online anything about me as a person.

I would point out that I work two jobs and am currently also taking a course by correspondence through Athabasca University at the same time.

My ability to accomplish more is to pre-plan and organize better than most. Furthermore, it's incorrect to say that I do or don't care about what people say.

If a person cares too much about what people say, then it becomes a character flaw. You seek opinions in areas where it is irrelevant and undermine your own decisions. However, if you don't care at all then you lack reason and understanding which ultimately also undermines your own decisions.

Your own perspective is from someone who has secluded themselves from what the game offers (or does not), so the question that begs asking is how is your limited experience at the front end of the game applicable to areas you haven't touched yet? Does this not seem egotistical and selfish to you?

It's like a giant train wreck. Everyone in first class has died, everyone Business class is experiencing the impact, Economy class is shouting about the coming devastation, and you're sitting in the baggage section pointing out how the train is running perfectly fine.

zlatko

Banned
jiggle said:
famitsu don't review pc games, iirc

A small part of me wants the game to still be a rock solid turd at PS3 release just so Famitsu has to put it on blast, granted by then it'll probably be at a 30+/40 range for them.

Do no other places in Japan put out PC game reviews that are popular over there?

mileS

Londa when you're going on and on about how its possible to solo this game to the end just because you read it somewhere + your experience with ranking so far you have to at least expect people to wonder what rank you are.

Highest combat class is rank 15? Yea considering you can get to rank 15 in less than 9 hours I can easily see how you would think that. It may sound like i'm another one of those people but honestly I could care a less what rank you are to talk about the game. I think the only point i'm getting at here is please stop trying to argue its a viable way to rank up when theres plenty of people here that know for a fact it isn't true.

Oh.. and newsflash. Most of these people you are talking about also have a real life with jobs etc etc. Please for the love of god stop trying to make it sound like you're the only one.

Londa

Banned
I would point out that I work two jobs and am currently also taking a course by correspondence through Athabasca University at the same time.

good, but I'm not the one inquiring about your progress in game. I don't even know you.

But I guess you are really saying this to show that because you do this and that, that its possible to be higher than I am. But see, I don't always play a game when I have free time. I do like to be with friends and family. I make gaming something to do when there is nothing else to do. Maybe you do the same? That doesn't make it ok to judge my progress.

My ability to accomplish more is to pre-plan and organize better than most. Furthermore, it's incorrect to say that I do or don't care about what people say.

I actually think it is correct in saying that you care. Your post show you care. You care about what another user's profile page is. I haven't asked anyone here what their profile page is. You care about why I say what I say, or where I'm coming from. You also acted as if I was some how hiding my progress by asking what my profile page is. That is a lot of inquiring about a user who you may or may careless about.

You are completely wrong and most of what you are saying are your ideals.

If a person cares too much about what people say, then it becomes a character flaw. You seek opinions in areas where it is irrelevant and undermine your own decisions. However, if you don't care at all then you lack reason and understanding which ultimately also undermines your own decisions.

I don't seek any opinions. If someone replies to me, I reply back. Just as I'm doing now.

I didn't seek your opinion.
You put your post out there and I replied. As I do for anyone else that isn't on my blacklist. It's as simple as that.

Not caring about someone you don't know from a online forum doesn't lack reason. It makes sense to most. You know nothing about my own personal decisions outside of posting in the forum.

Your own perspective is from someone who has secluded themselves from what the game offers (or does not), so the question that begs asking is how is your limited experience at the front end of the game applicable to areas you haven't touched yet? Does this not seem egotistical and selfish to you?

this is your opinion of me. This doesn't make it the truth, no matter how you want to try and stack your words together. What special areas have I not touched yet that aren't jobs I didn't level, storyline quest I haven't done, ranks I haven't gain and gear I haven't obtained? There are no new areas, no new systems, or monumental things in the game that should really effect my opinion if I don't experience it first hand, but I read about it.

You seem more egotistical than me. You type as if you feel you are smarter than who you are replying to. I have a feeling that you are getting off at the thought of putting a miss informed person in their place. However, I am far from uninformed.

It's like a giant train wreck. Everyone in first class has died, everyone Business class is experiencing the impact, Economy class is shouting about the coming devastation, and you're sitting in the baggage section pointing out how the train is running perfectly fine.

This game isn't even a good comparison to what you have describe. If the game is bad, don't play it. People dying in a train is something you can't put down and not play. These things can not be compared unless you want to exaggerated the state of the game, or you really, view the game to be that important. If you believe the later part, then you need help, basically.

Londa when you're going on and on about how its possible to solo this game to the end just because you read it somewhere + your experience with ranking so far you have to at least expect people to wonder what rank you are.

Highest combat class is rank 15? Yea considering you can get to rank 15 in less than 9 hours I can easily see how you would think that. It may sound like i'm another one of those people but honestly I could care a less what rank you are to talk about the game. I think the only point i'm getting at here is please stop trying to argue its a viable way to rank up when theres plenty of people here that know for a fact it isn't true.

Oh.. and newsflash. Most of these people you are talking about also have a real life with jobs etc etc. Please for the love of god stop trying to make it sound like you're the only one.

yes, someone who has nothing to do for a straight 9 hours, sure. But I don't have 9 hours to waste. If you didn't care about my rank, you would have never mention it. It's really all that simple.

I'm not talking about anyone. Of course people have work, school, family and friends. I never said they didn't. If I did, why don't you show me a quote?

Coldsnap

Atrus said:

I'd like to shake your hand.

Londa

Banned
FieryBalrog said:
I don't know Londa, it just seems to me that you enjoy the ideal of FFXIV more than the flesh and blood.

Sort of like dating people

If that was the case I wouldn't need to buy the game and I would never play it.

I would just follow the game on forums and gaming articles.

Teknoman

A little more insight into current issues and upcoming fixes:

From FFXIV core / 4gamer interview:
*Incoming Gigawall of text*

EDIT: Interview with Director Nobuaki Komoto

Most MMOs these days conform to a WoW-style UI, but FFXIV seems to have taken the road less travelled. That's a rather bold step to take with a worldwide release. Why did you decide on that?

A: It has been said before, but it is really to allow for comparable playability via either mouse/keyboard or controller. It was originally intended to allow for either setup to work independently of the other, but that is not how things panned out. There is a fundamental flaw with the system itself, one which the developers haven't been able to get to just yet. Unlike FFXI, which initially released on a console, FFXIV's distinctly un-PC (no pun intended) control scheme really stood out. It lacks in comparison to other PC MMOs, which is where we have received a lot of criticism from overseas players.
It comes down to menus. With a controller, it's generally accepted that menu navigation is the standard. Click a few times and you'll get where you're going. With a mouse, however, the same process could take just one click. We are aware that this discrepancy is the big problem. On top of that, targetting and menu navigation only add to the frustration. In order to alleviate this issue as quickly as possible, we are working on a separate UI to support the use of a mouse and keyboard.

Whether because of the UI or the animations involved, things just take too much time to do. Selling items, changing gear, attacking, synthing, gathering, etc. all result in valuable time lost, whose end product is only more frustration.

A: UI lag causes a lot of problems, part of which is due to the UI design itself. A fix is slated for the next version update and should vastly improve functionality. Server lag is also a cause. During slow times players may find the UI reacting much more quickly than usually, while primetime in concentrated areas can grind things to a halt. The aforementioned strengthening of servers responsible for such congestion in overpopulated areas will be implemented in the next version update. Lastly, every action performed must be communicated with the server, from which the player awaits a response. Design flaws cause greater delay in regards to this. Certainly some things depend on individual client settings, but adjusting those won't solve everything.

Will you be adding an /assist target command?

A: That is something that should appear in the next few months. The next update will definitely see the implementation of easier battle targetting. You'll see things from FFXI, such as moving to the next target if the current one becomes unconscious or automatically selecting the opponent if attacked when no target is selected. There will also be some /targetnpc functionality as well (via hotkey?).

I want some way to confirm beforehand what I'm throwing away when my inventory is full. Also, do you plan to provide some kind of notification via the UI when i reach that dreaded 80/80?

A: The real issue is how easy it is to reach capacity in the first place. It is also hard to keep track of when that happens, so we plan to add something to help with that. We will increase inventory size, but that still does not address the problem that the variety of drops is needlessy large. We are considering color-coding items based on region, making searching for particular items a little bit easier. Another issue is with high quality versions such as +1-3. Combined with the regular version, that's a potential four slots taken up by one item. We are considering phasing out +1 and +2 via drop rates, leaving only the standard and +3 versions.

An auto-sort feature is planned, but will there be anyway to sort things as I see fit?

A: We would like to include options such as displaying items on top, gear underneath, and vice versa. Manual sorting features should be implemented in the November or December updates.

Under special circumstances in party situations, players don't gain Skill Points. Is the development team aware of the issue?

A: The SP bug is being worked on. Beyond that, parties will not get SP for killing monsters that are not claimed by them. We are currently working out the kinks in the claiming mechanics as well as tinkering with the system itself.

Everyone loves it when the monster their fighting continuously runs away and regains a large chunk of it's health (I personally love it to death!). Is this intentional?

A: This has to do with the pathing of said monsters; they aren't designed to follow players outside of their "comfort zone." We will continue to work on these pathing issues, particularly deciding how or when a monster has left its particular "zone."

I have to rely on third-party sites for recipe lists, since recipes themselves are so complex. Would it be possible to select an item which I've learned via completing a Local Leve, which would then automatically pick the ingredients from my inventory? Also, isn't the process of starting each synthesis a bit too circuitous?

A: We have our sights set on such a feature. The mid-December update will incorporate things such as a synthesis history and recipe memo, which will list your eight most recent synthesis items. Choosing something from the list will select the ingredients automatically. We also intend to streamline the steps needed to start synthesizing. For the next update, we're looking into allowing players to browse their entire (entire??) synthesis history.
Main Menu > Synthesis > Requested Items or select your ingredients one by one. Then choose Main Hand or Off Hand followed by which item you want to make. Then confirm the item along with the necessary skills and crystals. A bit much, eh?

It's hard to tell which items are used or worn out. Will there be a way for us to tell, whether via color-codes or tool-tips, which items are in what condition?

A: We are hard at work on that right now so that such items will be distinguishable at a glance.

Can you make a special inventory tab for gear? My retainer is overloaded with various equipment and ingredients from me leveling so many different classes.

A: Inventory space will mostly be addressed as mentioned before, via reduction of needless drops and the increase of inventory capacity. Also, like shards and crystals, other items' stack sizes will probably be adjusted.

It gets crowded around Retainer Bells, and lag makes exchanging items gruelling. Why not let us summon our retainers from anywhere within a city?

A: We are currently working to resolve lag in cities. Also, UI lag has a variety of causes, which we are gradually fixing. Item exchange, however, is both a client-side and server issue. We think splitting the server load between two servers would definitely help. The Adventurers' Guilds are of course the busiest areas. If, for example, we were to move those areas to a separate server, those inside would not experience lag caused by the mass of people outside (and vice versa).

When looking through bazaars, sometimes I can only find people seeking repairs. Why not have some sort of marking system next to players' names to denote whether they're selling or wanting gear repaired?

A: We are working to have this ready for the December update.

I get the feeling players don't really know what to do with themselves right now. From my experience, it seems like ranks 1-20 are just a tutorial.

A: Indeed it is intended to be a tutorial of sorts. However, the trek to 20 takes longer than we would have liked, so people aren't getting to the class quests as quickly as desired. Therefore, we'll be speeding up the trip to rank 20. Also, we will be adding more content for various levels in order to flesh things out. We also want to tweak guildleves and faction leves and have a few things planned for that, keeping crafters and gatherers in mind, as well.

A big problem is the market, which hasn't fully matured. Not only that, but crafters rely mostly on melee/magic classes to buy gear from them. Slow leveling for combatants means that a lot of that high rank gear is not in high demand, and gear that requires drops from high rank monsters is in drastically short supply. A market/retainer search function is vital not just to the game economy but to the game itself.
I meant to go straight for rank 20, but it became rather tedious. I ended up trying out other jobs instead, but then my gear repairs were catching up with me. Since so much work is involved with getting my gear repaired, I'd rather do it myself. Oh, but to do that I need such-and-such class...and thus I still haven't reached my initial goal.

I have trouble telling who is participating in a Behest. This makes it hard to tell who has claimed what.

A: The problem is not knowing when players have joined. The first step is to address this in some identifiable way. Also, we intended for behests to award SP comparable to guildleves, but it seems larger parties are not as suitable. Because of this, we are considering adjusting SP returns. As for the claiming issue, we are working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

I want to try something on to see how it looks before I buy it from a bazaar.

A: You will be able to have your retainer wear the things you are entrusting to them, allowing for players to get a quick glance at what they're buying.

What else do you have planned?

A: We've received a lot of complaints about being unable to repair undergarments. Therefore, we want to make it so undergarments will not be affected by durability. We also plan to adjust things such as enmity, melee/magic accuracy, and rules regarding Skill Point gain. We have much planned beyond this, so please take a look at our list on the Lodestone.

So the SP bug is actually still in game? I guess that doesnt help the whole SP gain issue...of course I will say im really psyched (yeah I know it should've been this way at launch, but what can you do) about the upcoming fixes, improvements, and additions spanning November/December.

What would be nice is if the update hit next week. That should be "late november" enough.

Hmm, maybe Miracle Patch™ Part 1 is going in on Monday... Not only do we have one of our normal 3 hour maintenance outages, but we're also going to have a "Personal Information Server" maintenance outage going on all night.

"If you have any issues that require the confirmation of personal information, we ask that you please contact us on any day other than Nov. 15."

Jinko

Londa said:
If that was the case I wouldn't need to buy the game and I would never play it.

I would just follow the game on forums and gaming articles.

Kind of looks like you are doing that anyway.

Atrus

Gold Member
"Combined with the regular version, that's a potential four slots taken up by one item. We are considering phasing out +1 and +2 via drop rates, leaving only the standard and +3 versions"

Might as well phase out all HQ ingredients as they don't serve any significant use. HQ equipments are understandable but carrot+3 is not. They probably did it that way so that people had more of an opportunity to HQ at earlier levels but nobody cares in such a limited economy.

One thing he didn't seem to address was the Auction House, and I think the odds of there being one may be pretty low.

As I've been running around with stacks of 99 stuff from crafting, I don't see anyone really buying a stack of 99 of these when recipes use just 1. In theory you could just buy a stack of everything and then synth 99 times, but the problem there is that some items only stack to 12. So to get an equivalent amount of say... Dodo leather, you would need 8 stacks but then that only gives you 96.

Numerical disparities like this make me think that there never was an intention to go with an AH, especially since no mention is made of one and they continually look to try to make the Market Wards a poorer, more time-consuming, and inefficient version of it.

Jinko

I find the more the developers talk about this game the less I want to play it, it seems thats many of the so called "fixes" are being half assed already.

An easy fix for HQ items would have been to have each item type have a + besides where you could extend the list to see how many of each type you had, normal +1,+2 and +3 would all share the same inventory space.

It's sad when I or anyone else can come up with better game idea's than they can.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Still trying to decide whether I should buy this now or wait another month or two to see how well they move along with patches. Been wanting to play despite the overwhelming negativity, but it's just so... overwhelming.

xelios said:
Still trying to decide whether I should buy this now or wait another month or two to see how well they move along with patches. Been wanting to play despite the overwhelming negativity, but it's just so... overwhelming.

You can buy it whenever you want, but once you activate your free 30 days you have exactly 30 days to decide whether you want to renew your subscription or not.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Unknown Soldier said:
You can buy it whenever you want, but once you activate your free 30 days you have exactly 30 days to decide whether you want to renew your subscription or not.

Yeah I went ahead and bit for about half retail price on Ebay. We'll see.

Londa

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
Hmm, maybe Miracle Patch™ Part 1 is going in on Monday... Not only do we have one of our normal 3 hour maintenance outages, but we're also going to have a "Personal Information Server" maintenance outage going on all night.

"If you have any issues that require the confirmation of personal information, we ask that you please contact us on any day other than Nov. 15."

cool, hope its really the patch on Monday.

DrDogg

Londa said:
cool, hope its really the patch on Monday.

I'd be VERY surprised if the miracle patch is Monday. You'd think SE would make it very clear if such an important patch was coming that soon.

Atrus said:
"Combined with the regular version, that's a potential four slots taken up by one item. We are considering phasing out +1 and +2 via drop rates, leaving only the standard and +3 versions"

Might as well phase out all HQ ingredients as they don't serve any significant use. HQ equipments are understandable but carrot+3 is not. They probably did it that way so that people had more of an opportunity to HQ at earlier levels but nobody cares in such a limited economy.

One thing he didn't seem to address was the Auction House, and I think the odds of there being one may be pretty low.

As I've been running around with stacks of 99 stuff from crafting, I don't see anyone really buying a stack of 99 of these when recipes use just 1. In theory you could just buy a stack of everything and then synth 99 times, but the problem there is that some items only stack to 12. So to get an equivalent amount of say... Dodo leather, you would need 8 stacks but then that only gives you 96.

Numerical disparities like this make me think that there never was an intention to go with an AH, especially since no mention is made of one and they continually look to try to make the Market Wards a poorer, more time-consuming, and inefficient version of it.

I assume you didn't play FFXI much? FFXI is the same way, with some items stacking to 12 and some stacking to 99. You can even get some items (like quivers) that stack to 12, but then when used, become a stack of 99 (you can get a 12 stack of quivers, but use one and it becomes 99 arrows). SE has changed the size of stacks over the years, but the disparity in stack numbers has been in FFXI for a long time and the AH works just fine.

As far as FFXIV goes, SE will not add an AH until they have done everything they can to make the market wards work. I wouldn't expect to even hear positive talk of an AH until after PS3 release, and only if it's clear that no matter what SE does, the market wards will not work as intended.

A: We've received a lot of complaints about being unable to repair undergarments. Therefore, we want to make it so undergarments will not be affected by durability. We also plan to adjust things such as enmity, melee/magic accuracy, and rules regarding Skill Point gain. We have much planned beyond this, so please take a look at our list on the Lodestone.

AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Teknoman

The patch could be monday since they've been talking up the updates more and more recently. I know they usually do a patch preview beforehand, and it seems like thats what the last post (with the buffalo looking thing on the banner) was.

Then again, it could just be wishful thinking.

Atrus

Gold Member
DrDogg said:
I assume you didn't play FFXI much? FFXI is the same way, with some items stacking to 12 and some stacking to 99. You can even get some items (like quivers) that stack to 12, but then when used, become a stack of 99 (you can get a 12 stack of quivers, but use one and it becomes 99 arrows). SE has changed the size of stacks over the years, but the disparity in stack numbers has been in FFXI for a long time and the AH works just fine.

As far as FFXIV goes, SE will not add an AH until they have done everything they can to make the market wards work. I wouldn't expect to even hear positive talk of an AH until after PS3 release, and only if it's clear that no matter what SE does, the market wards will not work as intended.

Both my brother and I actually played FFXI since NA beta up to the earlier part of this year and heh... that game is as ingrained into us as we are ingrained into its history on what was Midgard.

As for stacking, the vast majority of materials in FFXI stack to 12. . It was typically the consumables like Shihei and ammo that were stacked to 99, and that was due to the necessity of needing large quantities.

Typically mats were available for sale in single or by the dozen, and rarely would you have problems.

I know there were exceptions like Anima and such but if I`m not mistaken this was usually because they were mats that needed to refine more mats which then stacked to 12.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
An easy fix for HQ items would have been to have each item type have a + besides where you could extend the list to see how many of each type you had, normal +1,+2 and +3 would all share the same inventory space.

It's sad when I or anyone else can come up with better game idea's than they can.

...Uh, that is not an "easy" fix in the slightest. It's a pretty huge order for a game that's still in the design phase, let alone one that's already running.

Sure, it's easy to think up, but actually implementing is a pretty monumental effort.

There currently is no concept of a "container" item in the game, sort of like a bag or whatever else they have in other games, so you'd have to implement that. Then all items with HQ versions gives you one of these "containers" with that item's name, and then they all go into it to be accessed via a sub-menu within the inventory.

But there are so many questions that need to be answered before you can even start...

Do weapons and armor nest within these meta-containers, since they also have HQ versions?

What about selling items in the bazaar? Do they pop out of the "containers?"

How do I sell a stack of items of a single type and quality?

Can I move items between meta-containers? What happens then?

Is this worth adding another step to a UI that already requires too many steps, each server-verified?

Etc.​

I'm not actually asking these questions: these are just a few of the many complications that come along with this "easy" idea, mostly with integrating it with existing systems.

So here's roughly what implementing this idea would look like :

Step 1 : Design the new container UI subsystem
Step 2: Make huge changes to the global item database to support these new item arrays
Step 3 : Code the new container UI subsystem
Steps 4 through ??? : Go back and integrate the UI container subsystem with 10+ other existing systems
Step ??? +1 : Add new item classes for every item with HQ versions, probably already 500+
Step ??? +2 : Test everything extensively to make sure it all works, focusing especially on all the old systems that had to have this new system integrated with them​

None of this is insurmountable, but your throwaway idea is anything but in the reality of game development, even for a highly competent team. For a good team, I estimate this would take 4-6 weeks for 2-4 programmers and one designer to implement. Then you're looking at a lot of testing. So far the XIV team has not shown itself to be "good," and it's probably a lot smaller than we think... that's probably 1/3rd of the live team's programming staff.

Of course, then you need to ask yourself... is this feature worth taking those programmers and designers away from other things? I'd argue it would not be, since those same personel could probably be adding new systems and gameplay rather than fixing this relatively small aspect of the design.

For what it's worth, were I the director of this game in this situation, I probably would've gone with a similar solution. Not only is it really easy on its own, the opportunity cost in development time is very low. The only thing I'd probably change is making all the +3 items just be "HQ" or something that communicates that there's only one additional quality level.

What I like most about this solution has less to do with inventory space and more to do with making HQ items actually special. Right now they're not at all, because there's too much granularity. By only having one type of HQ item and it being the best one, it makes HQ items actually special and worth a premium.

One of the cool things about games which use the same servers for the whole world is finding out where the random people you meet actually are. EVE is like this too.

Coldsnap

I would be playing more often but the game runs like garbage on my PC, it's probably because I have 2 gigs of Ram. I get like 2-3 fps in the main parts of towns for some reason, I feel like the lag has gotten worse.

demosthenes said:
Just got an e-mail about the trial period ending.

Mass exodus from the 20th to the 21st? :|
Well, if the Miracle Patch goes in tonight, that would make a big difference on people abandoning the game.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Just got an e-mail about the trial period ending.

Mass exodus from the 20th to the 21st? :|

I got that too. I didnt even realize how close it was.
I was really hoping the big patch would hit before then. 5 days left!

Ravidrath

demosthenes said:
I thought it was getting better and actually having menu interactions go much faster than 2-3 weeks ago.

http://beefjack.com/news/final-fantasy-xiv-not-on-course-for-march-ps3-release/

:|

My guess is that they're still "aiming" for a March release, but the fact that they're referring to it as "the first update of 2011" instead of the "March 2011 update" makes me think they're building in some wiggle room already.

I'd rather they not make the same mistake twice.

Ravidrath said:
My guess is that they're still "aiming" for a March release, but the fact that they're referring to it as "the first update of 2011" instead of the "March 2011 update" makes me think they're building in some wiggle room already.

I'd rather they not make the same mistake twice.
No, it's because that update is coming *before* March. Square has two types of updates - Version Updates, and Content Updates. Content Updates are what they sound like - they add new creatures, areas, quests - you know, content. Those happen every three months, and the first one is due in December, so the first Content Update of 2011 is scheduled for March, right as the PS3 version is released. Version Updates are like what we are getting this month - bug fixes, balancing, new features. The recent update on Lodestone referred to the first Version Update of 2011. So that's probably January or February (I would put my money on January, fix any issues caused by the December patch).

Ravidrath

Dreamwriter said:
No, it's because that update is coming *before* March. Square has two types of updates - Version Updates, and Content Updates. Content Updates are what they sound like - they add new creatures, areas, quests - you know, content. Those happen every three months, and the first one is due in December, so the first Content Update of 2011 is scheduled for March, right as the PS3 version is released. Version Updates are like what we are getting this month - bug fixes, balancing, new features. The recent update on Lodestone referred to the first Version Update of 2011. So that's probably January or February (I would put my money on January, fix any issues caused by the December patch).

Hmm, I hope you're right. Your logic is reasonably sound in the short-term, since they're in crisis mode.

When I interviewed Tanaka at E3, they said they would keep the same schedule as XI, with one big update every "3-4 months."

They didn't have the Version/Content distinction in XI, so I wouldn't expect this to become the new normal... even though it would actually be a really smart thing for them to maintain.

Londa

Banned
Is content update something new? I don't remember any during FFXI. Only version updates and sever maintenance.

Edit* I just checked the lodestone. Both of Nov and Dec updates are named version updates. There is no content updates. Dream, what you smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom