• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
demosthenes said:
AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
Yeah, I know, that was my favorite part, too :D

All that work to syth +2 panties just to add more durability. Oh well, at least the super awesome +1 to defense and magic defense is worth it :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, usually the patch notes go up about 10-30 minutes before the servers go back online. If this is a big one, though, maybe they'll make an exception?

Here's hoping a lot of fixes get added. I'd like to think that SE realizes that this is the last patch before a lot of CE buyers' free trial expires, so if the game still sucks, it's bye bye for a lot of them.

Rentahamster said:
Here's hoping a lot of fixes get added. I'd like to think that SE realizes that this is the last patch before a lot of CE buyers' free trial expires, so if the game still sucks, it's bye bye for a lot of them.

Who knows, this being Squenix, they might purposely have the patch on the 21st, a day after the subscriptions are supposed to renew on the 20th, just to try and squeeze another month out of the people sitting on the fence. Which is actually really stupid considering how many people have already quit, but we know Squenix isn't good at making smart decisions. I mean, they launched the game in September, for one thing! :lol

Babalu.

I want to try something on to see how it looks before I buy it from a bazaar.

A: You will be able to have your retainer wear the things you are entrusting to them, allowing for players to get a quick glance at what they're buying.

wtf is this? like seriously?

I want to see what things look like before I buy them or make them, so their answer to this is to allow you to dress up your only retainer with an item that your selling?

why would I be selling something I want to buy?
why would I want to see what some random retainer (thats not my character model) looks like in the thing I want to wear?
what are the odds the person selling the equipment I want is going to put it on his retainer to view?

wtf is this shit seriously. Someone tell me I'm not understanding this right. This solves nothing for wanting to see what armors look like on myself before I buy them...

hgplayer1

Babalu. said:

I want to see what things look like before I buy them or make them, so their answer to this is to allow you to dress up your only retainer with an item that your selling?

why would I want to see what some random retainer (thats not my character model) looks like in the thing I want to wear?
what are the odds the person selling the equipment I want is going to put it on his retainer to view?

wtf is this shit seriously. Someone tell me I'm not understanding this right. This solves nothing for wanting to see what armors look like on myself before I buy them...

Yes and no in no particular order.

The way I understood it was that if you are browsing someones retainer and you want to know what an item looks like while wearing it, you can choose to have it displayed on the retainer you are currently browsing. Hopefully its not a taru! lol

Seriously though its better than no option at all. In XI I would check the wiki hoping someone posted a picture of what it looks like worn. Makes a big difference no matter what model its displayed on IMO.

notworksafe

hgplayer1 said:
Seriously though its better than no option at all. In XI I would check the wiki hoping someone posted a picture of what it looks like worn. Makes a big difference no matter what model its displayed on IMO.
"Better than nothing" isn't what I would call good. Maybe good enough, since that seems to be S-E's motto with this game.

Seriously, though. How hard would it be to pop up a mini-window and show a preview would look like on your character and how it will go with your current gear? It's not like this doesn't exist in other MMOs.

Square continues to act as if they are an MMO pioneer with their silly solutions to common issues when there are plenty of games that have done these things before, and quite well to boot. Not just on this, but many things about the game.

I really just want to know why the heck that was asked - who really cares about previewing how armor looks on your character, when all these other problems are happening, and most of the time armor isn't bought based on how it will look. That's such a minor issue, I sure hope the person asking that didn't raise its importance in Square's collective hive-mind.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dreamwriter said:
I really just want to know why the heck that was asked - who really cares about previewing how armor looks on your character, when all these other problems are happening, and most of the time armor isn't bought based on how it will look. That's such a minor issue, I sure hope the person asking that didn't raise its importance in Square's collective hive-mind.
Yeah, seriously. That's why my previous pink cuirass/gauntlets/sabaton set is now gone in favor of a +1 set that's undyed.

Stats > looks, for the most part.

hgplayer1

notworksafe said:
"Better than nothing" isn't what I would call good. Maybe good enough, since that seems to be S-E's motto with this game.

Seriously, though. How hard would it be to pop up a mini-window and show a preview would look like on your character and how it will go with your current gear? It's not like this doesn't exist in other MMOs.

Square continues to act as if they are an MMO pioneer with their silly solutions to common issues when there are plenty of games that have done these things before, and quite well to boot. Not just on this, but many things about the game.

Yeah I really didnt want to answer it that way since I knew what the reaction would be. Truth is I agree that I dont know why this is even something being given consideration at this point and time.

At the end of the day stats trumps looks but I have in the past bought gear just to pimp around in and this little solution would be helpful from time to time.

Tonight isn't necessarily the night - it's just a night with a dual-maintenance thing going on, server maintenance and "identity server maintenance", so there's a chance the reason for that is it's the Miracle Patch™

Babalu. said:

The way I read it it seemed like it was more a feature for sellers than for buyers. People would equip their retainer with what they were selling in order to advertise it. However since you can't check retainers there's no way to confirm what it is wearing.

As for the dual maintenance tonight I'd imagine the "identity server maintenance" was being done in order to prepare for the end of the free trial this week. I hope we do get a patch though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ravidrath said:
I see no reason to believe that anything is happening tonight. They said it would be late November, and this is mid-November.
None of us know for sure - we're just hoping since this is a longer than usual maintenance, and this the last chance SE has before the free trial expires.

TheFatOne

I want to play this game more, but I just don't have the time right now. So for now I will occasionally level up my gld until I can put more hours into FFXIV. I hope you enjoyed all the crystals and shards I gave you Dega. I figured that since I won't be playing for quite some time I might as well give my shards, etc.. to someone who needs them. BTW as for repayment I will need you to make me some new tights :D

Kronotech

I'm excited for these changes but I'll be canceling my subscription until the December patch or maybe January. Canceling a subscription doesn't delete the character, right? I want to make sure I can get back to it soonish.

Jinko

Ravidrath said:
...Uh, that is not an "easy" fix in the slightest.... + stuff

Game is still in beta so there is time to do it !

Yes and no in no particular order.

The way I understood it was that if you are browsing someones retainer and you want to know what an item looks like while wearing it, you can choose to have it displayed on the retainer you are currently browsing. Hopefully its not a taru! lol

In XI ! maybe, but other MMO's have been doing it for years now, which is the main thing.

hgplayer1

Jinko said:
Game is still in beta so there is time to do it !

In XI ! maybe, but other MMO's have been doing it for years now, which is the main thing.

In all seriousness what are these other MMOs and which would you recommend to get into right now if someone was looking to start?

If XIV goes down the tubes I might be looking for another one to try out or go back to XI and see if I can find a good group to play with again.

Teknoman

So has any website ever done a re-review of an MMO after a barrage of fixes from a lackluster launch? I cant see S-E just letting XIV go down after putting so much into it. And if these patches make the game much more enjoyable than it currently is (which they seem like they will), players that stopped playing/following XIV updates are going to need a way to know "Hey, the water's fine now".

EDIT:

Looks like there were alot of interviews going on this week. Trying to get patch publicity?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-15-square-enix-on-final-fantasy-xivs-future-interview

Looking at eurogamer, they'll be going the WoW route of addons.

Eurogamer: How exactly will the user interface change?

Hiromichi Tanaka: The version updates we're planning for this November and December are based on the current user interface, and focus on how to improve the current interface and the speed issue.

But when we come to next year's version updates, we're going to focus on the mouse side. For example, you can drag and drop your equipment and then have it on your character. Also, by right-clicking you can make a command to your character and react quickly. It'll be easier for the mouse users.

In the future, we're planning to open this up to the users so they can have add-ons, so they can improve it by themselves. That's the plan for the long term.

notworksafe

hgplayer1 said:
In all seriousness what are these other MMOs and which would you recommend to get into right now if someone was looking to start?

If XIV goes down the tubes I might be looking for another one to try out or go back to XI and see if I can find a good group to play with again.
LotRO and WoW would be my #1 recommendations if you are looking for the typical "fantasy and third person". LotRO is F2P so it's a good one to start out playing. It has a very in-depth story that hooks you quickly...and I'm not even a fan of the books/movies. WoW is...well...WoW. I'd wait until the new zones/quests get put in before trying it. So wait 2-3 weeks.

EVE is another one to look at if you want something a bit out there. It's more Sci-Fi and you are a ship instead of a character. It's pretty hardcore, so I'd go for the trial before plunging right in to the game.

If you are into PVP, I'd try Warhammer. It has an unlimited time trial that lets you experience the first tier of quests and PVP. Don't go in expecting an awesome story or unique quests though. It's about PVP through and through.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Quick info note since I was reminded by a conversation that I had with Trei earlier, and I realized that hardly anyone else knows this:

The amount of faction points you get after a leve depends only(as far as I know so far) upon the faction standing of the aetheryte at the time you do the leve. If the faction associated with your leve is in first place, you get less points. If it's in third place, you get more points.

Kinda stupid in my opinion, since faction standing doesn't mean jack shit at this point in time, unlike nation standing in FF11. I wish you could get more faction points, gil, guildmarks, and SP bonus by doing a higher difficulty, but alas, that would make too much sense for SE to implement such a simple gameplay mechanic to incentivize skillfull playing.

So anyway, if you want to get the most faction points as possible, check out the crystal, see who's in third place, go to town, and then pick all the leves for that crystal with the third place faction.

Jinko

hgplayer1 said:

WoW and LOTRO are both good games, there are a few decent free to play ones around, Runes of Magic and Allods are worth a look.

Future MMO's to look out for are Tera and GW2.

I doubt FF14 will go down the tubes but whether SE will get on top of the problems in time to retain any decent subscription base is another thing, I haven't seen an MMO come back from deaths door yet ... at least with any success.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Don't the free subs expire this week? Doesn't make much sense if that's true since they will expire before any changes are added to the game.

Londa

Banned
Darkness said:
Don't the free subs expire this week? Doesn't make much sense if that's true since they will expire before any changes are added to the game.

They can renew their subscription if they want to play after the update.

Londa said:
They can renew their subscription if they want to play after the update.

Or you'd think SE wanted to prove that they were serious about making changes to this game, prove to the people that payed $50 and $75 for a game that they wanted to fix it.

Don't even try to defend your statement, there is nothing to defend.

Londa

Banned
demosthenes said:
Or you'd think SE wanted to prove that they were serious about making changes to this game, prove to the people that payed $50 and $75 for a game that they wanted to fix it.

Don't even try to defend your statement, there is nothing to defend.

I don't need to defend what I said because its as simple as, if they want to renew their sub after the update they can. lol

I actually can't wait for people to leave :D Less lag and whiners.

So you can enjoy the half-hour a day you play?

I can't wait for people to leave the game I'm playing which is dependent on subscribers! Perfect logical sense.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Another free month.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Free Trial Period (11/16/2010)
As always, we would like to express our gratitude to all players enjoying their adventures in Eorzea.

Today, we have decided to extend the free trial period an additional 30 days. Please refer to the following for more details.

We have also added a Topics post detailing a portion of the content heading your way in the two large-scale version updates slated for late November and mid-December. This month's version update, tentatively scheduled for November 25, marks the first step in bringing about significant improvement to FINAL FANTASY XIV, guided in large part by the feedback you, the players, have provided. We are adamant that you should be given the opportunity to experience these changes firsthand before deciding to fully commit to the game. We encourage everyone to view today's post, as well as the previous Topics post from November 11 outlining the development team's roadmap for the coming months. Further details regarding payment options and future version updates will be posted as they become available.

・Comprehensive Content of Upcoming Large-Scale Version Updates (11/11/2010)
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c8bd4e8378ea35e34fd10154abd4b0569150b2bd

[Free Trial Extension Details]

■Eligibility
All users who registered a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account and purchased a character by November 19, 2010.

* Character purchases must have been carried out no later than November 19, 2010 at 23:59 (PST).
* Accounts terminated due to User Agreement infractions are ineligible for extension.
* Holders of multiple service accounts may receive extensions on all accounts.
* Users who took advantage of the first free trial extension announced on October 15, 2010 are fully eligible for this extension.

■Extension Period
An additional thirty (30) days.

*Free trial period end dates and initial billing dates will be automatically extended. Users are not required to take any action.
*Extensions will be for a period of thirty days regardless of billing cycle length. Regular billing will begin upon conclusion of the extended free trial.
*Should automatic renewal of options be disabled, the free trial will still be extended.
*Users notified by automated mail of either the end of their free trial period or the beginning of their billing period will still receive the extension.
*Extensions will be processed by the Square Enix Account Management System on or around November 19, 2010. An official announcement will be made at that time.
*Information regarding new billing period dates will be available via the Square Enix Account Management System.

nataku

At this point they may as well just extend it to the PS3 launch and call this a beta test. Because really, that's what it is.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Oprah: FREE MONTHS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oprah-audience-o.gif

Londa

Banned
demosthenes said:
So you can enjoy the half-hour a day you play?

I can't wait for people to leave the game I'm playing which is dependent on subscribers! Perfect logical sense.

I don't play everyday. I as long as it has numbers close to FFXI I wont worry.

JudgeN

demosthenes said:
Which it doesn't, and they've been decreasing with time. The 2nd free month will stop the bleeding for now.

We should probably wait to see, what the game looks like once its released on PS3. Right now we don't have a total picture of how bad the game is actually doing. MMO competition is very steep on PC, while non existent on PS3.

Do we know what the platform break down for FFXI during its prime? I would assume most of the people playing it were doing so on PS2.

JudgeN said:
We should probably wait to see, what the game looks like once its released on PS3. Right now we don't have a total picture of how bad the game is actually doing. MMO competition is very steep on PC, while non existent on PS3.

Do we know what the platform break down for FFXI during its prime? I would assume most of the people playing it were doing so on PS2.

Japan was substantially more PS2 heavy whereas NA was more PC heavy. Not sure on Europe or post 360 launch.

I believe the PS3 launch will sell a ton, but they're probably not going to release in March now as hinted at on the Eurogamer interview I think it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom