• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Hopefully the adjustment in monster pop, SP gain, and party mechanics also includes adjusting monster difficulty...so that it actually makes sense ( further from town equals harder). I know I keep saying that, but I dont want to rank up on small creatures post rank...15 at least.

Jinko

So have they said they would change the way SP was awarded ?

It's my biggest gripe with the game at the moment, I don't want more SP, I want fair SP distribution.

Atrus

Gold Member
Is it me or are there new Faction leves? Normally my Horn and Hand faction leves show 3 of rank 30's but today that increased to 6 with a couple new leves originating from the Ishgardian adventurers guild and are initiated at Camp Glory.

Rentahamster said:
I would also suggest the following to SE -

Scrap your stupid battle regimen idea and implement combo techs like in Chrono Trigger, and like how you showed in the opening cinematic.

This part made me the most sad that it wasn't in the game. I wanted a mage to charge my arrow up with fire so I could shoot it at a mob and have it burst into flames. :(

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
This part made me the most sad that it wasn't in the game. I wanted a mage to charge my arrow up with fire so I could shoot it at a mob and have it burst into flames. :(

Would be cool, but then who would get SP for that :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Would be cool, but then who would get SP for that :p
Everyone. Because implementing something as cool as Chrono Trigger combo techs would mean they got their heads out of their asses and have static SP per mob that is shared amongst party members, and the current SP system is banished to Hades.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Looks like a decent start. Hopefully they'll figure out a way to make the UI more responsive soon. The delay when doing anything is more annoying than anything else in the game to me. Lessening the amount of steps it takes to do something (retainers, synthesis) will help alleviate the frustration some in the meantime.

Jinko

Selecting a slot will restrict the items displayed in the gear list to only those that may be equipped in that slot.
Mousing over an item will display that item's icon, statistics, and other information.

About time !, hopefully it shows the additional stats you get from armor, buffs and food now aswell. (although it doesn't appear to in the pic) :(

The addition of multiple tabs and changing font colour will be helpful.

Bento

Nice to see the proposed changes, are these the ones that will be included in the Thanksgiving update or will some of it go in the December update? Got my character ready to go as soon as these improvements have been added to the game.

Salaadin

Bento said:
Nice to see the proposed changes, are these the ones that will be included in the Thanksgiving update or will some of it go in the December update? Got my character ready to go as soon as these improvements have been added to the game.

That lodestone post says that its in the 11/25 update.

jiggle

And finally, the experience and skill point bars currently displayed in the upper left portion while the main menu is open will now be visible on the screen at all times in the same manner as the HP bar.

as if i need a constant reminder of how slowly i'm ranking up!

everything else sounds good
too bad i won't get to test it out for a week after it goes up
why couldn't it have been this week!

Salaadin

PS3 details:

This week's Famitsu has an interview with Final Fantasy XIV producer Hiromichi Tanaka and director Nobuaki Komoto. Amid all the expected apologies and discussions of upcoming fixes for the PC version of the game, the two provided a few details on the PS3 version, which is due for release in March 2011.

The PS3 version is currently 100% complete in terms of porting the game over from the PC, revealed Tanaka. It's already running on the PS3, and the staff is performing optimizations to make it play smoother.

Regarding differences between the PC and PS3 versions, Tanaka said "There is great difference in memory size, so we're placing effort into fitting as many resources as possible into limited memory and getting the most performance out of the CPU. On the graphics side, there will be areas with slight differences, such as texture resolution, but when seeing it it motion there won't be much difference. Of course, the game itself is the same, so PC players who play the PS3 version won't feel anything out of place."

The PC and PS3 versions will share the same servers, Tanaka told the magazine. However, it's possible that they'll add more worlds to match any increases in player count.

Newcomer PS3 players will obviously be at a disadvantage as far as game progress is concerned. Komoto said that they're looking into a few things to deal with this issue. One example could be offering merits to groups when newcomer players that they've invited into their community advance in level.

The magazine asked if we can expect a final PlayStation 3 release date announcement soon, but Tanaka would only say that because they're optimizing the game to get it as close as possible to the PC version in terms of quality, it will still be a bit before they can get the game into player hands.

There will be a major version up timed with the release of the PS3 version, revealed Komoto. This update could include tutorial elements, as this is one area that people complained about with the PC version, and the staff feels that it would be best to have it included for PS3 players from the start.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/27668-the-ps3-version-is-ready/

Im curious to see it in action.

DrDogg

JudgeN said:
I agree that having to use abilities to get skill up is a very stupid mechanic and it should be switched to a static exp scale. But I think your overestimating FFXI, especially after TP burns became the norm for partying and all I had to do as a rdm was haste and cure when the DD's got hit. IMO TP burns dumb down mage gameplay alot in FFXI and I was TP burning in sky on deco weapons in 2004 before TP burns became mass knowledge. But I do have a slight bias because I had 4 75 jobs in FFXI, 3 of them were melee's so I always felt like I was spamming the same shit because I was.

I will give FFXI its credit though, in FFXI you do fight more monsters that tend to do status effects. I haven't really fought anything other then sea hares which have an AOE that inflicts amnesia. I hope to see more monsters inflict status effects thus requiring mages to pay more attention in FFXIV.

I took 7 jobs to 75 in FFXI: 5 mage jobs, along with SAM and PLD. I agree, that mages have to do less in a TP Burn party, but that's not a normal party outside of merit. In fact, you won't see hardly any TP Burn parties until 54+ and even then you see more "normal" parties than TP Burn. So I don't think you can really compare a FFXI TP Burn to anything in FFXIV.

That said, TP Burn made the mage's job easier because of the mobs, not necessarily because of the TP Burn. You simply don't fight mobs that have a lot of status effects in TP Burn. If you were fighting an Imp or Crawler in a TP Burn party, the RDM would be doing far more than Haste and heal. In addition, if you're a SMN or WHM, you're still doing a lot of the same things you'd be doing otherwise. In fact, as a good SMN, you should be doing something AT LEAST once a minute no matter what kind of party you're in (aside from end game).

I am very eager to see what happens if SE keeps the current SP system and adds Bard to the game. If Bard is anything like it was in FFXI, I just can't see it working... at all.

Firehead

Hey, I haven't had a lot of time to play lately (mourning; having to clear out the house and such) and I kinda forgot to add crysta to my account for tomorrow. Just wondering - they won't be deleting my character or anything if I'm not able to pay right away, will they?

Teknoman

Firehead said:
Hey, I haven't had a lot of time to play lately (mourning; having to clear out the house and such) and I kinda forgot to add crysta to my account for tomorrow. Just wondering - they won't be deleting my character or anything if I'm not able to pay right away, will they?

Free trial period has been extended until further notice.

Targeting
While engaging multiple enemies, a player's cursor will automatically move to the next target when the current target is defeated.
Players with no target who are attacked by an enemy will automatically target that enemy.
It will be possible to open treasure chests by targeting and selecting them, rather than via the Interactions menu.

Hell yeah. Also party map markers. C'mon Square, you can do it.

EDIT: Looking forward to revamped SP system.

Oh and hey, auto-inventory increase, nice.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I can only laugh since if SE thought that the current SP system is the solution to TP burns, or dumbed down fighting that lacks cooperation (like skillchains), then they failed miserably.

It's interesting to see that in the early days, some thought action-based random SP did solve the "dumbing down" problem: http://ffxiv.zam.com/story.html?story=23584

As frequent poster RattyBatty points out in this thread, FFXIV is fundamentally different than Final Fantasy XI in that there is no apparent benefit to spam-killing weak mobs in order to maximize progress per hour. That’s because in the new game, players are rewarded skill points according to how many actions are taken in battle – which isn’t determined by what you fight, but by how much time you fight.

However, anyone who has spent even a very casual amount of time fighting in this game should know that this still isn't the case.

While they're right in that it discourages spam killing weaker mobs ( since that will only result in wildly random and unfair SP ) it just encourages spam killing and zerging medium to medium-hard monsters.

In both cases, the inherent flaws in gameplay and exp awards led to the inevitable stupid way of playing = most profitable way of playing.

Games NEED to have the right incentives in place so that the most fun and skillful way of playing = the most profitable way of playing.

That FF14 (and a LOT of other games) fail at this concept even after all these years is sad.

That's why I love listening to the Diablo III devs talk. They embrace this philosophy knowing full well how hard it is, yet they know what they have to do in order to make the game they and their customers want.

Teknoman

Firehead said:
Oh.. I thought it was just for another month. Neat.

Well technically it is just another month (until end of November) but with XIV clawing its way back to the top, who knows? Might be extended until January...no complaints here.

hgplayer1

Teknoman said:
Well technically it is just another month (until end of November) but with XIV clawing its way back to the top, who knows? Might be extended until January...no complaints here.

The way Ive been reading things regarding the extended trial period it should last until at least December 19th for everyone.

hgplayer1 said:
The way Ive been reading things regarding the extended trial period it should last until at least December 19th for everyone.

At this point I am thinking that most likely the free play period will be extended until both the 11/25 Version Update and the December Content Update have been released. So the free play will extend into January if the December patch is released after the 19th.

Unknown Soldier said:
At this point I am thinking that most likely the free play period will be extended until both the 11/25 Version Update and the December Content Update have been released. So the free play will extend into January if the December patch is released after the 19th.
But while that isn't a bad theory for a person to have, Firehead was asking specifically about the situation. The situation as things stand right now is, we've been given an additional month added to our free trial. So if your trial period was set to run out tomorrow, it will now run out a month from tomorrow. We've now been given 2 extra months for free.

Jinko

jiggle said:
And finally, the experience and skill point bars currently displayed in the upper left portion while the main menu is open will now be visible on the screen at all times in the same manner as the HP bar.

Im quite happy about that TBH, almost ever other MMO has a visual XP bar so this is a good sign.

As long as the hovering SP/XP bar can be turned off. There are times when I'm in the middle of a long grind where I don't want to see that bar crawling slowly towards the next rank. :lol

New update! Where the Wild Things Spawn (11/18/2010)

Summary:

• Update has been bumped up to Wednesday, Nov.24
  • Enemies will be more densely distributed
  • Several NMs will be added
  • Some NMs will be familiar to FFXI players
  • The NMs and their loot table will be discussed in another topic

Maint details:

During the times listed below, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Nov. 24, 2010 from 13:00 to 17:00 (PST)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
skitzophrenicdontpanic said:

Nice. Hoping the, "...in-game areas will be spread out across multiple servers in order to mitigate latency issues," will at least have a small effect on the UI lag, but I won't hold my breath. Tbh the UI being so slow is the only thing stopping me from playing the game and crafting right now. :( Otherwise I was having fun.

DrDogg

If Hoo Mjuu the Torrent comes back, I will kill him just because. I can't tell you how many times I sat in Giddeus killing him over and over, never getting my Monster Signa. He is my most hated of all FFXI NMs, simply because he was the first to truly aggravate me with his drop rate. :lol

I wonder if they'll just plaster old names on similar mob models or if they've actually put some effort to bring us HD versions of some of the old NMs?

Salaadin

Pai Pai Master said:
I wonder if they'll just plaster old names on similar mob models or if they've actually put some effort to bring us HD versions of some of the old NMs?

In that case, bring on Tom Tit Tat. HD mandies. Make it happen.

Pai Pai Master said:

The latter would kick ass. I'd love to see some legit FFXI cameos; explanation as to what they are doing in Eorzea is totally optional. Somehow I doubt this will happen though.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
I always had this dream that SE would stick in popular FF characters as NPCs for sidequests and shit just for fun...I dunno, I think it would be cool. :p

You'd think we'd at least have classic FF weapon cameos by now (the monsters and the actual items used by past FF characters).

Glad to hear the update has been bumped to the 24th...but am I the only one who fails to see the difference in before and after images?

BEFORE
229_0.jpg

AFTER
229_1.jpg

Looks like some random Aldgoat wandered into the image and everyone changed positions...thats about it.

Unless its just trying to show how they'll bunch up the monsters a little more.

EDIT: Sea Horror better return. Vengeance will be mine.

ithorien

Teknoman said:
Looks like some random Aldgoat wandered into the image and everyone changed positions...thats about it.

Unless its just trying to show how they'll bunch up the monsters a little more.

One goat to rule them all?

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Sea Horror better return. Vengeance will be mine.

I went back to FFXI earlier this year for a few months, and obliterated Horror on DNC. Paid back for all my deaths and then some.

jiggle

so torn on NMs
i absolutely detested camping them in XI
but at the same time
it'll add a much needed variety to this game

Pai Pai Master said:
I always had this dream that SE would stick in popular FF characters as NPCs for sidequests and shit just for fun...I dunno, I think it would be cool. :p

i think we'll see them in DLC costumes...

jiggle said:
nope
they will be from both Leves AND in open field :/

I'm glad there will be plenty of instanced NMs. The 'dedicate your whole life to the game' MMOG gameplay mechanic is entirely obsolete at this point. World NMs was just a sop to the masochists FFXI players who enjoyed camping a NM for 10-12 hours only to see a JP LS wander in at the last second and steal it from them, not that any of those people are playing FFXIV anyways, they're all still playing FFXI.

jiggle

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm glad there will be plenty of instanced NMs.

while it's nice to be optimistic
seeing as how almost all implementation of FFXI > XIV came off worse
i fully expect plenty of NMs with completely random repop time (as well as 48-72hrs ones)
with a few token leve NMs that drop crap

prove me wrong tanaka!

Teknoman

I think this is the best way to do NMs. That way, we might have the surprise of running into some crazy looking variation (or exclusive model? they made it sound like the NMs would be completely different looking enemies) while running around/ hopefully partying with revamped sp.

Or we could just organize a party, keep challenging the NM for whatever drop we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom