• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

notworksafe said:
Doubled? C'mon now.

Also the tree moved.

Oh the joy of being hunter by not only one dodo/goat but a frikkin bunch of them.. worst AI mechanic I have ever seen in a game.

Cameo NM's has me intrigued, will add some fun to the game for a couple days I guess.

mileS

So now instead of 2-3 dodos or goats following you around so you can't use AOE attacks on whatever you want to kill there will be 4-5. Coool dudes

The lack of mobs is only a problem in the lower rank spots anyway. If they increase it for some of the other spots i'm thinking about it would break the game in a very bad way.

Well, I found out what that empty NPC town you found called Owl's Nest in Coerthas is for, Renta. It's used for the archer rank 30 quest. Which is pretty awesome, incidentally. There are a lot of things wrong with this game, but story is definitely not one of them.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Iohnb.jpg

Two new Lodestone updates:

Balancing is Half the Battle

Ask the Devs

They didn't go crazy with the class adjustments, that's nice. Nothing but buffs.

I can't wait to try partying after the update! Hopefully with the party search function implemented since my entire group of people from FFXI rage quit the game =/

Or at least improved, I think there is a search function

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Yours was much nicer. Sorry. :(

Great to see the SP is being increased and more predictable across the board.

Salaadin

Pai Pai Master said:
Someone mind copying the text? I'm at work.

One area of focus for the November 24 version update is battle balancing. Among the many adjustments being made are changes to the accuracy of physical and magic attacks, enmity rates, actions for all classes, and reductions to the amount of skill points needed to rank up, and more.

Character Progression

-Accuracy
The accuracy rates for actions in general, both physical and magic, have been increased, making it easier for players to land attacks. This will, subsequently, result in more skill points.

-Skill Points in Parties
Skill points earned in battle are now awarded after an enemy is defeated. Additionally, discrepancies in the amount of skill points awarded to party members have been reduced. Together with these changes, the overall number of skill points awarded has also been increased, making progression easier even in smaller parties.

The above changes will serve to increase the tempo of battle, and also allow players to obtain more skill points than was previously possible. To further facilitate the process of ranking up, the amount of skill points required to attain ranks 11 through 31 has been reduced. The reductions are most significant for the rank range of 11 through 20, as we would like to enable players the ability to engage in more goal-oriented content, such as the hunting of notorious monsters, at an earlier stage of play. Further information regarding these changes will be released in the version update details Topics post of November 24.

Balancing Adjustments to Actions
In order to improve the uniqueness and flavor of each class in party battle, we have made a number of adjustments to the effects, durations, execution costs, and enmity generation rates of a number of actions. Below is a sampling of these changes.

-Pugilist
Featherfoot
Active duration increased from 15 to 30 seconds.
Evasion rate increased.

-Gladiator
Luminous Spire
MP cost reduced from 20 to 10.

-Marauder
Foresight
Stamina cost reduced from 5 to 3.5.
Active duration increased from 15 to 30 seconds.
Parry rate increased.
Bloodbath
Stamina cost reduced from 6 to 3.5.

-Archer
Trifurcate
MP cost reduced from 30 to 15.

-Lancer
Speed Surge, Life Surge
Active duration increased from 120 to 180 seconds.

-Conjurer
Cure, Cure II, Cure III
Enmity generation adjusted.

-Thaumaturge
Scourge
Amount of damage dealt increased.
Sacrifice, Sacrifice II, Sacrifice III
Enmity generation adjusted.
Amount of HP healed increased.

AND

Following the Topics post of November 17, entitled New Features and User Interface Improvements, the FINAL FANTASY XIV community has expressed interest in and provided feedback regarding several of the changes planned for the coming version updates.

In today's post, the development and management teams address some of the most prominent questions and concerns in an ongoing FAQ series.

Changes to User Interface
Q.
I see that the inventory space for PCs and retainers is going to be expanded. Will this require me to complete a quest of some sort like the item-fetch gobbiebag quests of FINAL FANTASY XI?

A.
Not at all. The inventory expansion will take effect for all players and retainers immediately following the version update on November 24.

Q.
What is the difference between the automated and manual item sort features that are planned for release?

A.
The automated item sort feature will organize a player's inventory by grouping together items of the same kind. Within these groupings, items will further be listed alphabetically. By using the manual sort option, however, players may arrange the items in their inventories however they see fit. Additional sort options will be added in future version updates, as well.

Q.
What kind of features will be added to the Keyboard Settings section of the Configuration menu?

A.
The new commands that can now be mapped to the keyboard are listed below.

Targeting Functions
Target Party Member 1
Target Party Member 2
Target Party Member 3
Target Party Member 4
Target Nearest PC
Target Nearest NPC

Other Mappable Functions
Open Attributes window
Open Gear window
Open Actions & Traits window
Open Point Allotment window
Open Loot window
Open Inventory
Open Journal
Open Bazaar
Examine target
Begin Synthesis action
Begin Gathering action

Enemy Distribution
Q. The before and after screenshots in the previous Topics post illustrating the changes to the distribution of enemies made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What changed exactly? And why are they gazing into my soul?
A. What the pictures come up incredibly short of depicting is an approximately 50% increase in the number of enemies. This figure is subject to some variation across areas. Soul-gazing may or may not be addressed in a future Topics post...

Im excited for the changes. Next week needs to get here fast. Turkey and FFXIV update :D

Enemy Distribution
Q. The before and after screenshots in the previous Topics post illustrating the changes to the distribution of enemies made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. What changed exactly? And why are they gazing into my soul?

At least they are starting to have a sense of humor about things.

Salaadin

Clever Pun said:
At least they are starting to have a sense of humor about things.

I was a little surprised to see that. They just added the enemy distribution article yesterday and then the next day, its in a Q&A asking why the picture example showed nothing major. Did they not know how useless of a photo it was yesterday when they uploaded it? :lol

Jinko

Skill Points in Parties

Skill points earned in battle are now awarded after an enemy is defeated. Additionally, discrepancies in the amount of skill points awarded to party members have been reduced. Together with these changes, the overall number of skill points awarded has also been increased, making progression easier even in smaller parties.

It's still a bit unclear how the sp is divided amongst players, they are getting there at least.

I hope at least the SP is divided equally amongst participating players.

Amneisac

Musing about FFXIV free trial period extensions:

It's like when you've been broken up with a girl, and she's all like "Oh, you know, I've been working out, you should come over, just hang out, no big deal."

You know you're not interested. You know she hasn't really gotten in any better shape. You just wish she would stop calling because it's embarrassing every time you see her name pop up on your caller id.

Azzurri

So are they awarding us the SP we would of gained with the new system? They made the grind from lvl 11-31 cost less SP, so are they giving us that extra sp?

Salaadin

Azzurri said:
So are they awarding us the SP we would of gained with the new system? They made the grind from lvl 11-31 cost less SP, so are they giving us that extra sp?

Im wondering that myself.
If Im rank 15 with 18000 SP and they drop the SP required from 15-16 down to 17000, will I log on to a rank 16 character with 1000 SP?
I pulled those numbers out of my ass but I think you get the point.

I'll admit, the question about the mobs made me lol.

I'm not ready to give them a pass for the last few months but it does seem like they're very eager to get the changes implemented and improve the game. It's just gonna take more patience.

Where can we submit questions? I wanna know about the FFXI discount....

Brandson

Azzurri said:

It would be great if they did, but I doubt it, otherwise they would have said so by now.

When SE lowered the xp needed for levels in FFXI, I believe it just put you at 1xp below the level cap if you had exceeded it. So if you were 20000/28000 and they dropped the amount of xp needed to 15000, it would show 14999/15000 and you would be the same level you were before.

Teknoman

Azzurri said:
Anyone just stop playing till the patch? I see no point to lvl anything.

On and off due to real life, but it would be good to be near 20 before the 24th. That way you'll be in a position to beat up NMs day one. Of course if you're below 15, its probably best to wait for the patch.

Nice that it has an effect on everything up to 31 though. Fixed SP and party system should make 31-50 easier too.

hgplayer1

I actually dinged a few lvls on my RDM in XI but havent done much in XIV this week.

All the recent news sounds great but I think I might be expecting more than whats coming in the patch/update on Wednesday.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm in the middle of writing a Lodestone post about what SE can do to fix FF14, and I'm pleasantly surprised that some of what I want is being implemented in one way or another.

Hopefully the update will be as promising as it sounds. Words are one thing. Actions are another. I'm optimistic.

DrDogg said:
So... the only thing that was even the slightest bit challenging about playing CON, enmity management, just got easier.

What. The. Fuck.

-_-
I agree - enmity management seems a lot like FFXI's enmity, where you actually have to think about it. You can't just spam heals right from the start without grabbing aggro, you have to wait for the tank to get some hate, and even then if you heal a bit too much you grab aggro and have to stop and let the tank get it back.

I sure hope this udpate doesn't remove that dynamic.

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
I'm sure it wont. It'll be as close to XI as possible. In XIV pre patch, you could do one heal and bam, death.

Sorry, but no. If you played CON well, you didn't get hate from Cure spells. I learned how to judge the enmity from Cure spells in my second party. Very rarely do I get hate from Cures. Now I'll probably never get hate from Cures. Which makes an easy game even easier.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think the problem at least is party caused by the gameplay mechanic that makes it so you have to cure spam. I'd rather see cures have to be needed less often, but generate more hate. Less cures - and therefore each individual cure is of more importance.

Skillful playing would then entail that the tank manage hate as a resource - gather as much as possible, and mitigate as much damage as possible. The healer would have the opposite goal, to mitigate as much hate as possible, while curing damage that the tank takes, if need be.

That way it won't just be mindless spamming all the time.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
Sorry, but no. If you played CON well, you didn't get hate from Cure spells. I learned how to judge the enmity from Cure spells in my second party. Very rarely do I get hate from Cures. Now I'll probably never get hate from Cures. Which makes an easy game even easier.

Well it just said adjusted, but we dont know how it was adjusted, so I wouldnt call it just yet.

Probably is leaning towards less though.

Rentahamster said:
We need to make a plan to hunt NMs once the patch hits.

Aren't we going to barbs Lord Morbol to death before the patch hits? We should do that tomorrow if enough people log on.

And should be focusing on hitting the level cap before we run off to hunt the NMs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Aren't we going to barbs Lord Morbol to death before the patch hits? We should do that tomorrow if enough people log on.

And should be focusing on hitting the level cap before we run off to hunt the NMs.
There's probably weaker ones too.

Jinko

From the sounds of it the NM's start from level 20, hence the reason SE are making it easier to get to 20.

Of course you guys will have no chance competing aganist JP users with the lag present in this game, it will make NM claiming a bigger joke than it is in 11 for sure.

Jinko

I think a majority of people know about the updates and will probably come back after the november patch.

Personally I don't think even after december there is enough to keep most of them around for that long though.

I logged in a couple days ago, did a couple leve and had enough within 10 minutes, I can't see that changing much for me even with the new updates.

It's kind of sad when I think how much fun I had with 11, 14 is so far removed from that experience.

I would say wait til after the december update though, at least if you want people to stick around.

Rentahamster said:
There's probably weaker ones too.

Well you're about to hit rank 40 and I'm still at rank 38 and quite frankly at this point with the population as low as it is, unless I fucking grind my ass off 24 hours a day for a week I'm going to be unable to find any parties soon because everyone else is going to be at cap. I'm an archer too, I have no ability to solo anything in this game at my level which would yield any SP. That's what happened to me in Aion, I had to work the closing shift all through the launch window and everyone else was grinding during the day, and even if I had wanted to continue playing (which I didn't), I would have been forced to quit anyways because there was no one to play with at my level after my free month was up.

I'm actually pretty impressed that this game's launch has paralleled Aion's to such a degree. Aion sold over 1 million units in NA/EU at launch, by the end of the first 2-3 months the population was essentially all gone. FFXIV sold 600,000 units worldwide at launch and now server populations are somewhere in the ~25,000 range daily. That means something like 95% of people who bought the game have quit. There's nobody left except the hardest of the hardcore grinders and that's because there's nothing to do right now except grind. So if you can't grind when other people are grinding because of when you work or whatever, then you get left behind. And then there really is nothing left for you to do, because there's no one to grind with, and there wasn't anything else to do except grind. So you're left with standing around admiring your character model, or you quit. That's exactly what happened to me in Aion, and I'm now at a point where I've already been passed by Meep and Gou Zaburou and his crew, and then I joined the red shield LS and now I've been passed by Kas and Tre and their crew, and meanwhile everybody else in the GAF LS has quit except the crafters. I'm at the point where I'm seriously thinking about applying to join that purple shield LS because they still have people my rank I can play with, because there's literally no one else left, either they've all quit, they are crafters, or they've all passed me by. It's exactly like what happened to me last year in Aion. I feel like I'm stuck in a time warp, different game but exactly the same problem. :lol

The difference is this time I actually don't want to quit playing. T_T

Well, that's was excessively serious, here's something to lighten the mood!
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/27726-how-do-you-know-you-play-ffxiv-too-much/

Akala

Haven't had time to play in a few weeks, and to be honest was kind of waiting on the patch anyway. I was only like level 15 or so when I stopped...I think I am the target of this patch!

I'm still interested, but with the patch(es) coming it just seems like a waste of time to do much grindin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom