• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
A friend just said this was edited into the SP post from the other day:

"The amount of skill points earned in battle is now determined by the enemy being encountered, rather than by the number or type of actions performed. As a result, players will no longer receive several skill points awards throughout the duration of combat. Instead, there will be only one lump sum of skill points awarded after an enemy is defeated.

Additionally, discrepancies in the amount of skill points awarded to party members of varying ranks have been reduced. For players of the same rank, this amount will now be the same, regardless of activity during combat. Together with these changes, the overall number of skill points awarded has also been increased, making progression easier even in smaller parties."
Aw hell yeah.

Teknoman

Posted about it on XIVcore and added an announcement to SoD. Hopefully all this doesnt introduce something that makes the game take two steps back again.

I just thought of what I'd love to see added:

Add a menu to setup a default tool for all crafts in repairs. So when you click repair an item in your inventory, you automatically are changed to that tool. Would make repairing items a little less tedious.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
Hopefully all this doesnt introduce something that makes the game take two steps back again.
From what information we have now, it seems like a good step forward since consistency and fairness are good things.

It may possibly introduce some new exploits and powerleveling schemes, but that's of secondary concern. I mean, it's not like there aren't any exploits and powerleveling schemes with the current system.

DrDogg

Salaadin said:
A friend just said this was edited into the SP post from the other day:

"The amount of skill points earned in battle is now determined by the enemy being encountered, rather than by the number or type of actions performed. As a result, players will no longer receive several skill points awards throughout the duration of combat. Instead, there will be only one lump sum of skill points awarded after an enemy is defeated.

Additionally, discrepancies in the amount of skill points awarded to party members of varying ranks have been reduced. For players of the same rank, this amount will now be the same, regardless of activity during combat. Together with these changes, the overall number of skill points awarded has also been increased, making progression easier even in smaller parties."

Assuming this is accurate (too lazy to check lodestone), this makes it almost identical to FFXI, which is a very good thing in my opinion.

Now just make the party search/creation tool better and this will be a BIG step toward my enjoyment of the game.

(although the actual class party mechanics are still far too easy)

Teknoman

Its accurate. Had to check myself the first time I read it, since it is a pretty quick change during the actual week of the patch.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oh the SP fix is the only thing i need to come back to the game!

Teknoman

Apparently they are working on more story party battle content.

http://jpgames.de/specials/final-fantasy-xiv/hiromichi-tanaka-sage-sundi-interview.html#english

Question: Why is it impossible to do the story missions in a group? Will there be more incentives for group play?

Answer: That is one of the main focus we have at the moment. But because the armory system is really solo focus, we do understand there is a lack of meaning enjyoing a party. Because the classes aren't really unique from each other. That is something we try to have more unique meaning to each class, so they can take different parts in the party to make the battle system more exciting. And also we are going to implent some notorious monsters so there will be a reason to join a party together. In fact to get them. SO the battlesystem will get some adjustments.

At least I hope thats what that means. Thats another big mistake imo. Being able to do some story missions solo (investigating events, meeting certain npcs) is fine and all, but the battle based missions should always let you have other members with you. Thats half the fun of a story battle/boss battle.

Lionheart

Man, I have been playing this game since launch and have experienced many of the issues / bugs that everyone has, eagerly awaiting the patches, but now I just experienced another (small) weird design choice that I haven't heard anyone about: why are there items with category 'Bracelet' for both hands and wrists?

It seems like nowhere in the merchant buy screen you can find out whether it is a bracelet for hands or for wrists without knowing there are two options... I just bought a bracelet pair (yeah the pic shows two, should have checked that I guess) thinking I could equip them to my wrist. Their stats were too good to be true though, should have got me wondering... But still, no way to tell right away.

I only found out when trying to equip it and yes, in the equipment screen, when hovering over it, it does say 'Hands' at the top of the item. Nice, SE, thanks!

Nakazato

last night was the 1st time ive played ffxiv in about to weeks and i have fun for the 1st time since beta playing with gaf (should have went on gaf server oh well :( ).

So do we know if SE is going to change the timers on leves yet ? I would love nothing more than to go a few leves every night after work or the gf leves

DrDogg

Nakazato said:
last night was the 1st time ive played ffxiv in about to weeks and i have fun for the 1st time since beta playing with gaf (should have went on gaf server oh well :( ).

So do we know if SE is going to change the timers on leves yet ? I would love nothing more than to go a few leves every night after work or the gf leves

I hope the leve timers don't go down again. It may sound good, but as it is, I have a hard time getting all of my leves done before the next set hits. I can't remember the last time I finished 16 leves before the next reset.

Lionheart said:
Man, I have been playing this game since launch and have experienced many of the issues / bugs that everyone has, eagerly awaiting the patches, but now I just experienced another (small) weird design choice that I haven't heard anyone about: why are there items with category 'Bracelet' for both hands and wrists?

It seems like nowhere in the merchant buy screen you can find out whether it is a bracelet for hands or for wrists without knowing there are two options... I just bought a bracelet pair (yeah the pic shows two, should have checked that I guess) thinking I could equip them to my wrist. Their stats were too good to be true though, should have got me wondering... But still, no way to tell right away.

I only found out when trying to equip it and yes, in the equipment screen, when hovering over it, it does say 'Hands' at the top of the item. Nice, SE, thanks!
In a similar note, a Cowl takes up your head slots, and once you've equipped it, any other armor looks like it has worse stats because it doesn't include a hat. That makes it hard to figure out if something else truly is better than your cowl.

Teknoman

Supposed to be working on that too. Not sure if they'll reduce the timers or just make exchanged leves factor in better rewards. For now, i'm just looking forward to finally being able to organize a focused party where everyone benefits no matter what.

People will probably start going 4-6 people max for normal SP.

Jinko

Yea screw leves, I'll be looking for most of my xp from paties now.

I would like to see them reduce the leve timer down to 6 hours or something, that way it would be often enough not to feel pressured into having to do 16 leves all at once.

You could prob just pick them up when you feel like it.

Would it be better off if you could just get a single new leve after X number of hours of using one? Sort of like Assault Tickets in XI, rather than letting you do 8 per however long it is, and then giving you another 8 at the end of the period? I feel like that would break the monotony of the Leve system and make players much more relaxed, and not like "zomgggg I gotta do all my leves before the next reset!"

Leves always felt like an evolution of XI's Assault System so I'm not sure why they didn't make it a straight up copy of the way the tickets work in that, which is much better IMO.

Salaadin

I used to rush to get all leves done every 36 hours but that evenutally dwindled off into checking whichever ones gave Guild points. Leves arent worth the anima or the travel time on foot. Too little of a reward.

Pai Pai Master said:
Would it be better off if you could just get a single new leve after X number of hours of using one? Sort of like Assault Tickets in XI, rather than letting you do 8 per however long it is, and then giving you another 8 at the end of the period? I feel like that would break the monotony of the Leve system and make players much more relaxed, and not like "zomgggg I gotta do all my leves before the next reset!"

Leves always felt like an evolution of XI's Assault System so I'm not sure why they didn't make it a straight up copy of the way the tickets work in that, which is much better IMO.

That worked in XI because there was already a ton of stuff to do besides Assaults. If they start limiting leves in the same way, itd be more restricting than it already is. Didnt Assaults regen a new ticket every 24 hours, 3 tickets total unless you grabbed one and let another regen...giving you 4 tickets, 4 assaults, every 4 days?

Assaults were also full fledged missions, sometimes taking you right down to the final minutes to complete and some needing actual strategies and jobs to beat....a far cry from the "wail on mobs until they run away and then wail on more mobs" approach that XIV has taken.

Teknoman

Yeah the rewards dont seem that great (for the leves I get anyway). Only leves i'll take on are the ones that reward at least 10k gil plus some other item, or the ones that reward you with guildmarks. Also i'm restricting myself to Ayzema's shields(sp) and Broken Blade sponsored leves.

DrDogg

In terms of leves, you guys aren't looking at the whole picture. Leves are not exclusive to DoW classes, which is what many of you are referencing.

For DoL classes, not only do I get guildmarks, but I get solid SP from every leve (assuming it's of an appropriate rank). This makes them worth the travel time to get to the camp. And with the upcoming change so that r20-40 DoL leves can be done anywhere (instead of specific towns), they will require even less travel.

For DoH classes, you don't even know when you're getting guildmarks (retarded game design ftw!) so you're almost forced to do as many r20+ leves as you can to get the extremely rare marks to make the crafting system a little more consistent and a little less frustrating.

So for me, all 16 leves are VERY important, and almost always worth the effort.

Teknoman said:
Supposed to be working on that too. Not sure if they'll reduce the timers or just make exchanged leves factor in better rewards. For now, i'm just looking forward to finally being able to organize a focused party where everyone benefits no matter what.

People will probably start going 4-6 people max for normal SP.

Fix the party invite system and then we can talk. Even after the currently planned fix, it'll still be difficult to find and join a party.

Not to mention, as CON, I will still do hardly anything outside of cure spells. I just won't be spamming them as much. And with the assumed decrease to Cure enmity, I may as well watch TV while I play CON... it's ridiculously easy.

My problem with the Leve timer has been, if I'm underleveled compared to the rest of my static party, who plays on weekends, I'll play during the week to make it up. Sometimes I don't get a chance to play until the day before the party plays - and then I can't use Leves to level and still have Leves for our party the next day, depending on when the timer resets.

Atrus

Gold Member
Leves give too much of a reward which renders the rewards pointless. Since you're able to see rewards upfront as well, you don't really have to keep repeating things for a chance to obtain them thus allowing you to accumulate a ton of faction points as well.

It's difficult to sell crafted items when leves hand out items themselves. I don't even repair some equipment because leves keep churning out fairly good equipments for a number of slots.

Lvl 40 faction leves can hand out up to 100,000 gil when boosted or close to 10,000 marks.

As it stands, I've got close to 80,000 Pugilist marks I can't use on Pug in addition to those of other jobs.

Money=Worthless. Marks=Worthless. The only real item of worth I see from them can be the Clusters and even then, I have more clusters than I can use for a long, long time and gaining more.

Marks are harder to obtain with Harvesting classes, but even then half the harvesting guildmark abilities are pointless. It seems that you don't need to buy Prospect III before Prospect IV so you can simply save and purchase the highest one available.

Crafting marks are a lot harder to get (since they're random and can't be boosted except possibly through appraisal value) but the more crafts you have capable of completing lvl 20 rank leves, the more likely you are of being able to buy all books since skill books are shared between different crafts. So instead of say having 70k marks in one craft to buy all skills, you may only need 40k specific to that craft class.

Teknoman

You'll probably be glad you saved those marks once they start introducing more guild content (kinda like those beastman seals in XI).

As far as the search system, whats wrong with it? I know it looks a little more complicated (alot more) than XI, but it still works. People just dont use it.

I guess it could be a little more simplified, but people will still do the same as in XI: Shout for parties or shout for what ranks/classes they need.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
Yeah the rewards dont seem that great (for the leves I get anyway). Only leves i'll take on are the ones that reward at least 10k gil plus some other item, or the ones that reward you with guildmarks. Also i'm restricting myself to Ayzema's shields(sp) and Broken Blade sponsored leves.
Do leves for the faction points to get faction leves. Rewards are much better on faction leves.

Also, Horn and the Hand faction leves are good too, you can get the same kinds of rewards as the others.

Just do the leve faction reset trick to get the faction you want.

Teknoman

I always thought horn and hand was usually for stuff beneficial to gatherers or crafters?
Wonder what the point of different factions is...

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
You'll probably be glad you saved those marks once they start introducing more guild content (kinda like those beastman seals in XI).

As far as the search system, whats wrong with it? I know it looks a little more complicated (alot more) than XI, but it still works. People just dont use it.

I guess it could be a little more simplified, but people will still do the same as in XI: Shout for parties or shout for what ranks/classes they need.

I don't find it complicated at all, just backward.

If I want to get into a party, I have to hope that someone has started a party and used the search system. If these two things have happened, then I have to hope that the person is not actively in combat, because if they are 1) they won't see my text because the text window is ridiculous while in a party and 2) I can't join (or leave) the party while they're engaged in combat.

If I want to start a party, I have to use the search tools and then just sit there and wait in hopes that someone joins. When one person joins, we still can't do anything but wait until enough people join and get to the party location. Only then can we actually start to party. And let's hope that no one under equipped or just plain unwanted joins the party. Then I have to wait until they arrive at camp to even know this fact, then boot them.

There's no way to just put my flag up so a party leader can find me, or search for people who want to be in a party. That's what is wrong with the system.

To look at it another way, let's say I have a party going and our only healer is leaving. If I want to continue the party, all I can do is use the search function to state I'm looking for a CON or THM. Then the party has to wait indefinitely until one decides they want to party and checks the search tool. If things were done properly, any CON or THM that wanted to party would already have a flag up and it'd be easy to grab another and continue the party.

Teknoman

So would the best way to improve the search system be, to just combine the XI and XIV systems together, or just completely overhaul the search system?

No matter what they do, not being able to join parties while they are in combat just seems like a bad idea.

Dreamwriter said:
My problem with the Leve timer has been, if I'm underleveled compared to the rest of my static party, who plays on weekends, I'll play during the week to make it up. Sometimes I don't get a chance to play until the day before the party plays - and then I can't use Leves to level and still have Leves for our party the next day, depending on when the timer resets.

That won't matter later on anyways when leves give essentially no SP relative to the amount needed to gain ranks. This game essentially cannot be played solo past about rank 20 or so, and right now the game's population is so critically low that there is nobody to party with. :lol

I'm actually almost one of the last people still playing this game who isn't a crafter in the GAF LS (the only other person is Rentahamster) and the irony is that I actually want to keep playing but I can't because there's nobody my rank to party with anymore because of the SP required between ranks once you reach the mid-30's. Well, there are a few people who are now in the mid-40's as well, but now I'm too low for them because they kept grinding on a daily basis while I was stuck working the night shift for one week. I've quit MMOGs before because I wanted to quit them, Squenix was the first company who has successfully made an MMOG that forces people to quit because they aren't good enough for it. I literally couldn't grind for one week and now I can't play this game. I swear to God that if I quit this game I will never pay money for any Squenix game ever again as long as I live. Fuck you Squenix. :lol

Teknoman

With standardized SP and lowered requirements, I dunno if we can really make any assumptions about post rank 30 gameplay. Well at least before the patch is implemented. Maybe i'm being too optimistic, but i'd say throw everything you knew about the way XIV's SP system works out the window, and start learning fresh. It's pretty much going to be a totally different system, much like the change between alpha combat and beta combat.

Also i'm not a crafter :/

EDIT: The reason why most of Stars of Destiny stopped ranking up at a steady rate was probably because party battles/SP system really needed working on. Now thats about to be implemented tomorrow evening, along with a monster pop increase among other things, i'm sure you'll see alot more of them out in the fields.

Unknown Soldier said:
That won't matter later on anyways when leves give essentially no SP relative to the amount needed to gain ranks. This game essentially cannot be played solo past about rank 20 or so, and right now the game's population is so critically low that there is nobody to party with. :lol

I'm actually almost one of the last people still playing this game who isn't a crafter in the GAF LS (the only other person is Rentahamster) and the irony is that I actually want to keep playing but I can't because there's nobody my rank to party with anymore because of the SP required between ranks once you reach the mid-30's.
You're basing that on pre-patch numbers, though. Me and my static party, we haven't played in two weeks, waiting for the patch (not because we don't like the game as-is, but because we just don't see the point when it'll be better soon), and I bet there's a ton of people in that situation. Especially since Square has been very vocal all over the place talking about the patches and the free-trial extension, I'll bet this upcoming weekend we're gonna see a huge number of people in the worlds (after that all depends on how many people like what the patch did). Also, they are completely rebalancing huge chunks of gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a lot easier to rank beyond 20 after the patch, and solo play will be possible after that point as well.

Teknoman

^ exactly. People throw around the words "Game changer" alot these days, but this patch and perhaps the next, are pretty much the definition of the word. For XIV anyway.

Partying will actually be beneficial to everyone without limiting themselves, and magic casters can nuke or whatever to their hearts content.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
lol patch delayed.

Wait what?

EDIT: Damn it Square.

The all Worlds maintenance and version update previously scheduled to start at Nov. 24, 2010 13:00 (PST) has been postponed to allow for additional version update preparations. We will post another news article to inform you of the revised schedule by Nov. 24, 2010 5:00 (PST).

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

This better not be delayed until next week.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
Fix the party invite system and then we can talk. Even after the currently planned fix, it'll still be difficult to find and join a party.

It works fine, if you have spent more than 5 minutes looking at it, it actually works better than FF11's system, all they need to add is a LFP icon/flag and a /sea command.

Not that it matters I would rather party with LS members and people I know than complete strangers anyway.

The biggest reason that the party search function doesn't work is, because people don't use it and its too confusing for most people to figure out.

Add to the fact that up until now there has been little point in getting into a party due to the crappy sp system, once people start to have a need to use the party search then it will become more common place.

There were loads of people in 11 I met that didn't know how to make a party, so its just a matter of figuring it out.

As for people turning up in crap gear, that could happen in 11 and be even worse, gear is less of a concern in 14 unless you are tanking.

The only reason they would suddenly delay the patch at the last moment is if they found a critical error which crashed the test server or erased people's hard drives or something. Hopefully they'll fix it quickly and it won't be delayed too long.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Tomorrow

The previously delayed all Worlds maintenance / version update will take place at the following time. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
From Nov. 25, 2010 21:00 to Nov. 26 01:00 (GMT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Effect

The CPU update I did (from dual core to quad-core last night) has greatly improved how well this game runs for me. I knew there would be some increase but didn't think it would be as significant as it was. Haven't played the game in weeks and was simply curious as to how it would run. UI is still horrible but I can see now how one could deal with it more since the game in other ways runs a lot better. Might just play a bit more of it as a result since they've given even more free time.

Teknoman

NA times:

The previously delayed all Worlds maintenance / version update will take place at the following time. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

[Date & Time]
Nov. 26, 2010 13:00 to 17:00 (PST)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

EDIT: People are saying the JP lodestone post just says tomorrow just like EU. Theres no way the NA version has a separate maintenance, so maybe something got lost in the translation?

全ワールド メンテナンス作業およびバージョンアップのお知らせ(11/26)
延期いたしました全ワールドのメンテナンス作業およびバージョンアップは、下記日時に実施予定です。メンテナンス作業中、ファイナルファンタジーXIVをご利用いただくことができません。

お客様にはご迷惑をおかけしておりますことをお詫びいたします。

記

日 時:2010年11月26日(金) 6:00より10:00頃まで    ※予定日時に関しては、状況により変更する場合があります。

象:ファイナルファンタジーXIVをご利用のお客様

Plus it says the 25th ingame, so I guess NA lodestone is wrong.

Teknoman

Monsters update:

New enemies being added, old friends return, and display of how NMs differ from standard monsters (variations in size, color, and status symbols i.e. bigger horns).

nvsawh.jpg

vrzlzk.jpg

28pkzq.jpg

2rnzdz5.jpg

euqygx.jpg

bdm9nm.jpg

292wu54.jpg

Apparently Kobolds arent the new Goblin. Maybe some kinda feral version?

New equipment:

Weapons:

1pv1va.jpg

24edk5k.jpg

2eujxn6.jpg

That sword could be a Great sword, since I dont think i've seen normal swords shown with sheaths.

Retainer suits (hotel/flight attendants :lol)

2w69mib.jpg

sfylw2.jpg

Jinko

OMG gobbies :D

I might pick up lancer again :D

I logged into WoW tonight and seen all the crazy changes, FF14 certainly has its work cut out fot it in this patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom