• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Could someone give me a summary of all the changes to befall Eorzea since I left (Around late October)? I am hearing it is STILL F2P - if there have been any substantial changes, maybe I'll give it another shot.

Cmagus said:
What is it about new content that makes people douchebags just curious like holy crap what a day yesterday was with this game. These new NM's have people so obsessive and bitchy I was in three parties hunting them.I figured whatever just try to grab them and hopefully get some gear but of the three groups I was in we had trouble grabbing them in two of them a person threw a hissy cause we couldn't get it swearing and trash talking the other groups.I didn't feel like making enemies haha bad enough the population is declining. The third the guy got so mad he booted everyone but his friend.Just this morning I was going after one with someone from my other LS and same thing he got so mad he said "I've had enough im leaving bye" and left like a little whiner.

Also when we managed to claim on others stood around and kept bitching that we were taking to long lol like seriously of course I slowed my attack to drag it out longer just cause. After today I've given up on these haha what a shitty day in this game I spent most of my day listening to people whine and apologzing to major groups so I didn't get blacklisted. Funny enough though I managed to solo two myself so I at least got some NM action but no gear :(

The sad part is that these are all mid-level NMs which drop gear you can level past in a few days of consistent play. Well, the community for FFXI was legendary for how bad it could be, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
The sad part is that these are all mid-level NMs which drop gear you can level past in a few days of consistent play.
The weapons, yeah. A few of the armor pieces have places in endgame DPS roles.

Jinko

Kinitari said:
Could someone give me a summary of all the changes to befall Eorzea since I left (Around late October)? I am hearing it is STILL F2P - if there have been any substantial changes, maybe I'll give it another shot.

-SP is now awarded by a set amount based on your rank vs the monsters rank, its no longer random and everyone in the party gets an equal share of SP.
-You can leve link with party members on the same leve to increase party sp.
-Level 50 and lvl 30 NM's have been added.
-Sidequest have been added.
-Marketwards actually work now.
-Crafting has been streamlined.
-Battle Regimens actually work now.
-Anima cost to cities has been cut in half and you can now select 3 camps as a favourite so you pay half the anima.
- New craftable armour and weapons have been added + new untradable gear from rank 30 NM's.
- last 8 recently used recipes are now stored in your recipe book, and 8 last learned recipes from NPC's.
- UI is faster, less laggy and better over all

Can't think of anymore at them moment.

You can check the patch notes at the lodestone.

Teknoman said:
The lodestone itself is pretty helpful. Also what server are you on?

Thanks, the recipies on the lodestone look like a pretty good place to start. Very easy to read and well organized. I am a THM so I am going to focus on Goldsmith and Clothcrafting. I am guessing this is a good idea to get stuff specific to my class.

Names Andel Dulante on Lindblum server.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Finally got around to changing my avatar....

Too lazy to make a static image of my old one at the moment....

2jam0ls.gif

Ignignort

Hi all, I started playing this yesterday I just wanted to ask if I was going in the right direction.

What I've done so far is started in ul'dah and have done a few of the adventures guild quests, went to the first camp outside of town and did about 5 or so quests.
Now I'm back in town doing more of the tutorial stuff I guess, so my question is do I just keep doing what I'm doing and go through all this story based stuff?
If so does the game eventually just go 'okay you know what your doing now' and then send you off to quest hubs?
Or is relying more on the player to go adventuring and discovering places for themselves?

Thanks for any replies and so far the games been pretty enjoyable

Ignignort said:
Hi all, I started playing this yesterday I just wanted to ask if I was going in the right direction.

What I've done so far is started in ul'dah and have done a few of the adventures guild quests, went to the first camp outside of town and did about 5 or so quests.
Now I'm back in town doing more of the tutorial stuff I guess, so my question is do I just keep doing what I'm doing and go through all this story based stuff?
If so does the game eventually just go 'okay you know what your doing now' and then send you off to quest hubs?
Or is relying more on the player to go adventuring and discovering places for themselves?

Thanks for any replies and so far the games been pretty enjoyable

You don't get any rewards for exploring. I myself made it to mor dhona the other night. I patted myself on the back and made a hat out of construction paper.

What is next for you is more leve's. And if your lucky linked leves. Just to spice it up every hour or so you can participate in a behest, or simply indulge in the pleasure of grinding mobs.

Jinko

There are no quest hubs as such there are camps where you do guildleves however.

Talk to the Person in the Adventurers guild and pick up some guildleves, you can only do 8 every 36 hours :)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Sin said:
Nice pic, I'm sure I've seen you running around on Wutai.

These low rank NMs are quite fun. I managed to solo 9 so far on MRD Rank 50.

They are really fun to fight 1vs1. Hardest one for me was Old Six-arms, came really close to losing on that one. Glad I got drop on 1st kill, haha.

Hey, who are you in game? :)

Slowly starting to get addicted to the crafting in the game. It made me happy to make myself a pair of gloves and a turban from weaving. I went from Ul'Dah to Limsa Lominsa in hope of getting some Wind Shards for my recipes and got around 15 of them until I got killed. Any advice for getting wind shards around Ul'Dah so I don't have to make such a trip?

Teknoman

GrumpyAlien said:
Slowly starting to get addicted to the crafting in the game. It made me happy to make myself a pair of gloves and a turban from weaving. I went from Ul'Dah to Limsa Lominsa in hope of getting some Wind Shards for my recipes and got around 15 of them until I got killed. Any advice for getting wind shards around Ul'Dah so I don't have to make such a trip?

Did you get an invite to our linkshell? I've got a ton of shards, and im sure others would be glad to help.

Teknoman said:
Did you get an invite to our linkshell? I've got a ton of shards, and im sure others would be glad to help.

Not yet. Was I sent one? Actually I haven't talked to any real people yet in the game. lol Still coming to terms with the overall flow of the game. THM seems to be pretty fun, but I am kind of overwhelmed with the amount of spells at my disposal.

Darte

GrumpyAlien said:

If you have lightning shards to spare...

Grab an alchemy tool and the next time you're in LL, go to the NPC named Holasfhis

http://ffxiv.yg.com/item/tiger-cod?id=3011205

Buy tiger cods.

1 tiger cod + 4 lightning shards = 12 wind shards

This is a level 1 alchemy recipie. You might get close to breaking but risk goes considerably down after level 5 which shouldn't take you long to get if you just grind on this.

Munba

Did you notice the new sidequest dialogues bring to the several things they'll add (soon)?

Spoiler ahoy,
Some quests speak about the implementation of airships, by uldah engineers, to encounter Garlean in the sky, other about Ishgard knights against the Wyrmking's horde.. and another to a possibile destroying attack to the black shroud.. that'll brings to the graphics remodeling of the forest probably.

I really like they use the story parts to introduce the fixes and the missing elements, pretty brilliant.

Riposte

Has a master list of quests been collected? I'd really like to see them listed by rank prerequisite. I think I had ran out before the update(haven't had time to check since) for my current rank.

Wazzim

Banned
Does anyone know things to do if you're a 11th rank THM? The rank 10+ guildleves are mostly too hard (fucking dodos). (I'm in Ul'dah btw.)

Teknoman

Munba said:
Did you notice the new sidequest dialogues bring to the several things they'll add (soon)?

Spoiler ahoy,
Some quests speak about the implementation of airships, by uldah engineers, to encounter Garlean in the sky, other about Ishgard knights against the Wyrmking's horde.. and another to a possibile destroying attack to the black shroud.. that'll brings to the graphics remodeling of the forest probably.

I really like they use the story parts to introduce the fixes and the missing elements, pretty brilliant.

Yeah, the team is even tying the monster size increase into the story. Check one of the Ul'dah quests (Lalafell in front of the gate)...something Horizon.

Jinko said:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...equests-(work-in-progress).?p=96569#post96569

Seems there are quests in a couple of the hamlets as well, guess I should check those out.

Seriously? I havent visited those places in awhile.

dc89

The graphics are brilliant in this game. I like the pace of the game as well, the combat doesn't have a frantic feel to it so you enjoy it more.

I find myself actually taking notice of the world and the landscape. Enjoying it thus far.

Teknoman

dc89 said:
The graphics are brilliant in this game. I like the pace of the game as well, the combat doesn't have a frantic feel to it so you enjoy it more.

I find myself actually taking notice of the world and the landscape. Enjoying it thus far.

The battles are going to be even more strategic (hopefully) once the new combat system hits.

dc89

Still learning about the game and I have a few questions.

So I started off as a Gladiator, so I have a sword. I understand that if I want to become a archer style of character I can just equip a bow right and then I rank up that particular skill?

Also my gear looks crappy, it's all dull and brown, tell me it gets better haha :D

Teknoman said:
The battles are going to be even more strategic (hopefully) once the new combat system hits.

I don't know if you are being serious here or not. Squenix's track record since the turn of the century with combat systems is working against you here. I'm not holding my breath for a miracle combat system upgrade, and neither should you. The last combat systems in a FF title I enjoyed were FFX and X-2, everything after that has been mediocre to downright bad.

The biggest reason I'm sort of distancing myself from FFXIV is because I simply don't trust Squenix to somehow go back to auto-attack and make that an improvement over the current system. I don't want to be disappointed (again) when Squenix fails.

Haven't been on in some time, so many changes are planned that I don't want to focus on something that will in the end be changed or removed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So how likely or unlikely is it that SE is going to end up pulling a Star Wars Galaxies NGE on us?

What were the root causes of SWG's failures anyway, and are they applicable to FF14's current situation?

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
I don't know if you are being serious here or not. Squenix's track record since the turn of the century with combat systems is working against you here. I'm not holding my breath for a miracle combat system upgrade, and neither should you. The last combat systems in a FF title I enjoyed were FFX and X-2, everything after that has been mediocre to downright bad.

The biggest reason I'm sort of distancing myself from FFXIV is because I simply don't trust Squenix to somehow go back to auto-attack and make that an improvement over the current system. I don't want to be disappointed (again) when Squenix fails.

Just optimism and the fact that I really wasnt too bothered by XI's battle system. They arent going to completely fall back to that since for better or worse, every FF main number game has a different battle system. Maybe strategic isnt the right word, but I doubt its going to be horrible, since this system isnt that bad in the first place.

If anything, the new system will be a faster form of XI or XII's auto attack system along with some other additions/improvements. Really, whatever makes everyone happy, able to participate in a fight without whining, and enables us to get more parties together, have more challenging dungeon/world event content, and finally get the story ball rolling again.

Of course these are going to be paired with other job changes, so I dunno whats in store there.

Rentahamster said:
So how likely or unlikely is it that SE is going to end up pulling a Star Wars Galaxies NGE on us?

What were the root causes of SWG's failures anyway, and are they applicable to FF14's current situation?

I doubt things will change that much. Didnt SWG basically flip the script to where every class operated totally different than before, along with sorta restarting characters?

Jinko

good-news.jpg

Bayohne said:
There have been discussions elsewhere on the forum regarding the LFP issue and the party creation system in general. Since this thread was a hot topic in the past, I wanted to cross-post an update to it.

-
We discussed all of the latest opinions with Yoshida. While it won’t make it in time for the implementation of the raid dungeons that the development team is working on currently, we’re planning on implementing enhanced LFG (looking for group) and automated party creation features.

Also, while it won't be an easy task, we are also checking into the discussions for a cross-World instant party creation system.

Please continue to leave feedback so that your time and experiences while tackling dungeon-related content in the future can be enjoyable!

Moar.

- The implementation of delivery boxes will come, but it isn't easy due server related issues, so it'll take time.

- The reps are going to check with Yoshida and the team what are their plans for party flag and similar functions.

- While the current priority is the battle/job system, LS organization features are incoming. To speed up the process they will implement them as text commands only at first.

- They will continue to tweak and adjust behests in the future, so they'd like more feedback on them.

Can the main storyline quests be done for multiple nations? For example, if I start out in Ul'dah and do the storyline quests there, can I eventually do the storyline quests in Limsa Lominsa or Gridania? I think FFXI let you do this by changing to a different nation.

Are the quests lines different all the way through? Or does each nation get the same quest, just with a different quest name and NPC or something?

Allard

BentMyWookiee said:
Can the main storyline quests be done for multiple nations? For example, if I start out in Ul'dah and do the storyline quests there, can I eventually do the storyline quests in Limsa Lominsa or Gridania? I think FFXI let you do this by changing to a different nation.

Are the quests lines different all the way through? Or does each nation get the same quest, just with a different quest name and NPC or something?

You can't do the other quest lines for the moment but you really aren't missing too much since they converge around rank 20. Basically each nation gets 3 'standalone' quests but the rest everyone does. They are very good though, make the one you want to be your home nation as your main character, and just make a second to go through the other quests, you just need to get up to rank 15 to complete them.

Cmagus

I have an off topic question here.When I am playing this game is my PC being used to upload data? cause I don't do much online other than FFXIV and my upload usage has been like 800-900 megs and I don't use torrents or anything like that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cmagus said:
I have an off topic question here.When I am playing this game is my PC being used to upload data? cause I don't do much online other than FFXIV and my upload usage has been like 800-900 megs and I don't use torrents or anything like that.
The FF14 updater is a torrent.

Cmagus said:
I know but its not going when im not using it right

The FFXIV Updater only is uploading to other players when it's going, similar to the WoW patcher. You might have uploaded 800-900MB during the patching process, but the game client itself doesn't use very much data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom