• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

Teknoman said:
Somewhat, but they are still working on that as well.

EDIT: Yoshida update:

Hey guys! We spoke to Producer Yoshida and he likes your ideas about bringing more life to Eorzea and will be looking into them further. Currently the development staff is preoccupied with fixing systems with high priority so these ideas will take a little longer to be implemented but please look forward to it.

What other ideas do you have that would make Eorzea feel more alive? ^_^

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...on-for-the-future-of-Eorzea?p=84548#post84548

SEXCELLENT. :)

I like this. At least they are listening and taking things into account. With so much feedback and testing going on, I think it can only get better from now on.

Reading this link, the dev team seems to be doing a good job at doing whatever it takes to make the game good. That said, they are moving spectacularly slow. Maybe through no fault of their own, but the reality is that the changes are taking forever. I don't know if I will still care in a year from now to be honest; which realistically is how long it's going to take to implement all the UI, battle, monster, crafting, and all the other critical changes they're working on at this pace.

The changes they're making now are very important and I agree that they need to be made first, but they are changes to things I'd already kind of gotten past in playing the game in the state it was in for so long. So to me, speaking practically, it really feels like the game is not changing at all (and won't for a very long time). As a result I haven't played in about 45 days, and I have no interest in going back any time soon.

Teknoman said:
...apparently there are people out there who like the Surplus system?

ikw0Jy.gif

That GIF perfectly sums up my feelings about some of the batshit apologists playing this game.

Darte

Letter from the Producer, VIII (04/14/2011)
Well, I don’t take ill very often, but last week I was sidelined with a pretty nasty fever. Maybe the breakneck speed and hectic schedule we’ve been keeping since the end of last year finally caught up with me.
But I’m all good now, and back in action with the dev and ops teams.

In my last letter, I touched on the upcoming holiday event, but it looks like there have been some misunderstandings popping up, so today I’d like to talk a bit about the development team and its workflow.

The dev team is actually split up into a bunch of smaller teams, each dedicated to a certain facet of the game. Off the top of my head, there’s the scenario team, the world settings team (including seasonal events), the item team, the crafting and gathering team, the battle team, the level design team, the art team, the character team, the BG team, the UI team, and so on and so forth. Each team focuses on certain game content or a particular system, and all teams’ tasks are ongoing simultaneously. There are VFX, animation, and cutscenes as well, so quite a few teams. Within each, there are staff members whose job it is to carry out the tasks of each patch, and others who focus on the large-scale elements and core of the game.

When deciding what goes in a patch, we meld together my raw ideas with the team leaders’ proposals and move forward from there, checking up on the status on a daily basis.

So in my last letter when I announced we’d be prioritizing the upcoming seasonal event in 1.17, it didn’t clandestinely imply we’d be halting other tasks in other areas. No need for worry there. Some players are also voicing concern over the difference between patch content and the more fundamental changes planned. The latter, such as overhauling the battle system, are planned for the long-term and don’t coincide with the pace of our regular patches. They are designed in parallel with other large-scale changes, such as new events or UI revamps, and we only begin testing their implementation after careful consideration of both specs and cost. This is why the whole process takes time. Of course, that isn’t to say we don’t want you to see any visible changes during this period. We are implementing the things that can be implemented, and can be done so quickly. I hope I can squash these and any further misconceptions in future letters and forum posts.

To sum up, we’re updating those aspects of the game whose priority is high, and which can be updated relatively easily, while more radical and profound changes, such as those revolving around latency, auto-attack, battle, the Armoury system, the job system, dungeons, movement, modes of transport—these are currently under development on their own, completely independent schedules.

That’s the first time I dropped word of the new job system, isn’t it? Just sayin’. (Eaaasy, I’ll be posting about it on the forums soon enough.)

Well, there are still a lot of problems that need solving, but for now I hope you can all just look forward to the forthcoming egg hu— Errr, egg-themed festivities.

Last up for today, the release of the Lodestone page detailing the Grand Companies of Eorzea was delayed a bit due to the earthquake, but will be up tomorrow. Under the direction of Akihiko Yoshida (no relation), the art team has done an amazing job, as always. The Grand Companies will do the nations of Limsa Lominsa, Gridania, and Ul’dah justice as their stalwart representatives, and related content such as quests will begin to go live in patch 1.17. We’ll also be seeing the rulers of each of the companies come forth. A historic set of events is primed to take place in Eorzea, so be sure to keep a sharp eye out!

The Grand Companies of Eorzea page on the Lodestone will be updated and expanded regularly as game content is developed, so be sure to check it out from time to time!

That’s all for this letter. See you next time and/or on the forums, k? Laters.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-Producer-VIII-(04-14-2011)?p=85828#post85828

Teknoman

On one hand, I dont want Yoshida to work himself to death...on the other, hype for update and future stuff. Im surprised that he set all those members posting about the team straight.

Allard

Teknoman

Someone opened the NM floodgates:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=bc103e2bebb104bc462f7c493783cf33891b7e46

Rank 30 stuff, and class required equipment. Not a full list of item drops, but a decent amount of stuff to hunt. They actually drop gear too.

* Patch 1.17 will also see the introduction of class-specific equipment. If an item's help text states that it "requires" a certain class, only adventurers of that class will be able to equip the item.

Though these creatures can appear hauntingly similar to existing monsters, their ferocious nature sets them apart from their weaker cousins. Many an adventurer has met an untimely demise by failing to recognize risks that come with engaging these deadly adversaries. To ensure you fare better, this post not only includes in-depth views of three select notorious monsters, but provides screenshots for all twenty being introduced. It will also take a first-time look at three pieces of epic gear obtainable by slaying the beasts.

For those unable to view:

Bomb Baron

737_0.jpg

Feared around the realm for reducing all it touches to ash, the Bomb Baron pursues its prey with a passion hotter than the whitest forge. Legend says this abomination was once an adventurer who made his name culling thousands upon thousands of bombs across Eorzea, until one day a stray bomb caught him unawares and he died of burns rendered by the voidsent's timely explosion. Upon hearing of the soul's arrival in the fiery depths of the sixth hell, the Bomb King snatched it up and used ash from his own body to resurrect the adventurer as a bomb. He dubbed the creation the "Bomb Baron" and sent him back to Eorzea, telling him that his soul would suffer eternal torment until he had taken the lives of as many adventurers as he had bombs.

Phaia

737_1.jpg

Until recently, the sylphs celebrated a traditional springtime festival known as the Dance of the Tusks, in which tribe elders would enter a ring armed only with a spear and a cape, and test their mettle against ferocious wild boars. When a tragic accident led to one of the elders being gored and eaten, however, the tribe was left with little choice but to abandon their heritage. Fearing the wrath of the elementals, the sylphs canceled all future Dances and set the remaining boars free, including the fattened male champion, Phaia, who still roams the Black Shroud, his bloodlust as intense as the day he gained his freedom.

Kokoroon Quickfingers

737_2.jpg

A multi-talented qiqirn thief, it is said that Kokoroon Quickfingers is so nimble that he can empty a man's purse and have the pouch back on his belt quicker than the blink of an eye. Originally from La Noscea, Kokoroon earned fame in the Sailors Ward of Limsa Lominsa where he would use his deft digits to strum jolly tunes on his lute, luring audiences into absent-minded revelry. Then, during intermissions, he would mingle with crowds, laughing and sharing tales, all the while snatching coins from the pockets of his unsuspecting victims. Needless to say, it was not long before Kokoroon had a bounty placed on his head by the Knights of the Barracuda, and was forced to flee across the Strait of Merlthor to the parched deserts of Thanalan where it is said he still wanders today, lute in hand, ever in search of his next victim.

737_7.jpg

Lost Treasures
(These are but a few of the new drop equipments added)

737_5.png

Shield of the Savage

Shield
Requires: Gladiator, Conjurer, Thaumaturge
Optimal Rank: 30

Defense: 11
Attack: 21
Blocking: 85
Wield Rate: 13
HP: +12
Strength: +1
Vitality: +1

This massive shield carved from maple and draped in thick sheep leather is presented by Ixali tribal elders to warriors who have shown exceptional bravery in battle. Once received, its owner will use the shield until it literally falls to pieces; the damage it bears proof of the battles the shield has seen. The twin spikes protruding from the lower section of the frame can be used as hooks to rip an opponent's shield from his hands or destroy it altogether.

737_4.png

Kple Kple

Two-handed Conjurer's Arm
Requires: Conjurer

Magic Potency: 112
Magic Accuracy: 126
Critical Hit Rate: 136
Earth: 50%
Wind: 50%
Dexterity: +2
Intelligence: +2
Piety: +2
Number of Attacks: +1

This staff is said to have been created by a powerful conjurer who took the taproot of an ancient rosewood tree burned to the ground by a levinbolt, and fixed to it a ceremonial sun mask used by the primitive tribes on the distant southern continent of Meracydia. The magicked weapon is said to grant its wielder the ability to hear the whispers of the elementals.

Loyalist's Bliaud

737_6.png

Attire
Requires: Conjurer, Thaumaturge

Defense: 58
Magic Defense: 72
Evasion: 33
Resilience: 42
Wind: 3%
Intelligence: +3
Mind: +3
Piety: +3
Magic Accuracy: +2
Elemental Resistences: +35

The Loyalist's Bilaud is a thick coat of indigo velveteen that was once awarded by the Pontifex to musketeers who performed exemplary deeds in service of the Holy See of Ishgard. The grossly oversized shoulder pads and billowing drapery about the hem make for a stunning silhouette, and the look was considered à la mode for many decades. The garment was far from practical for use on the battlefield, however, as the gaudy design proved an easy target for enemy archers.

Riposte

I noticed he mentioned the armory system on top of the job system. I guess the latter won't entirely replace the former. That's good. Because I am going to really bothered if they drop the themes so tightly tied to the setting.

Teknoman

After doing some NM floodgates are about to be opened PSAs and getting my ass kicked by a bat in Muy-Tuy cellars...I think im gonna start recruiting people for parties before doing dungeon leves. That said, I want that shield and to at least attempt to kill every one of those NMs to see what might drop.

EDIT: Kinda eyeing the shield, but my bronze scutum seems to be better...so I guess that shield would be better for conj/thau?

Also just found out you can actually dodge Yarzon corrosive spit.

dc89

If you could buy this for £6.95 would you?

I've read quite a bit about the game, mostly bad but I want some GAF opinion. £6.95, is it worth taking the plunge?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
dc89 said:
If you could buy this for £6.95 would you?

I've read quite a bit about the game, mostly bad but I want some GAF opinion. £6.95, is it worth taking the plunge?

Yes do it.

dc89

DONE!

I hope it plays reasonably on my system now, no reason why not:

i5 @ 2.4
4GB RAM
ATI HD 5650

That should suffice right?

If anyone wants to know where I bought it from it was Zaavi. £6.95!

dc89

dc89 said:
DONE!

I hope it plays reasonably on my system now, no reason why not:

i5 @ 2.4
4GB RAM
ATI HD 5650

That should suffice right?

Can anyone confirm?!

Munba

Unknown Soldier said:
Oh hell naw, an NM named after me? I mean, I know I'm awesome, but damn, that's one hell of a tribute. Thanks, Squenix! :3

Ahah priceless. :D

Yes dc89, that's pretty good to play it :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh fuck yes! That's a shitload of NMs. To quote Amirox, all over my face!

Unknown Soldier said:
Oh hell naw, an NM named after me? I mean, I know I'm awesome, but damn, that's one hell of a tribute. Thanks, Squenix! :3
lol, that's what I thought too when I saw that.

Rank 30 stuff for mages? I can look even SMEXIER?!?!

Hells yea!!

Since they say some, I imagine there is more than just those. In terms of class specific items.

Jinko

dc89 said:
DONE!

LOL WAT ! nice bargain, should run reasonably well I would imagine.

I'm really underwhelmed with some of those NM models, seriously SE you could of at least changed their colour or something.

Patch 1.17 will also see the introduction of class-specific equipment

This patch sounds pretty big.

dc89

Well it runs Crysis very well indeed!

I'm actually looking forward to playing this (fingers crossed it actually runs haha - I will be like this till its running btw). I'm looking forward to exploring a new world in a new mmo that i know nothing about.

Would you advise me to read anything and if so what? Any kind of Wiki?

Jinko

dc89 said:
Well it runs Crysis very well indeed!

I'm actually looking forward to playing this (fingers crossed it actually runs haha - I will be like this till its running btw). I'm looking forward to exploring a new world in a new mmo that i know nothing about.

Would you advise me to read anything and if so what? Any kind of Wiki?

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html has a lot of info, its probably best to learn as you go along though, or refer to it when you need something.

Azrael

It's nice that they're adding new NMs, but sad at the same time they're already reverting to generic looking NMs.

And Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn is the goofiest NPC name SE has come up with yet.

Jinko said:
Yoshi-p said that he would never allow that to happen, if they went back on that now the game would die over night.

Indeed. I wouldn't do it all over again.

Azrael said:
And Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn is the goofiest NPC name SE has come up with yet.
And probably the most sexually suggestive.

Allard

dc89 said:
Can anyone confirm?!

I can confirm the game can 'run' on that spec. I play the game with almost the exact same laptop settings. Main difference is my i5 has a higher default clock at 2.66 ghz, the rest is the same. Only thing I'd mention is it won't run the game at the highest settings. Make sure you don't add ambient occulsion or depth of field when you install the game. You can get about 2-4 msaa, keep the drawing quality slightly below normal and shadows at standard and you can get the game running at around 25-30 fps pretty nicely with minimal tearing.

Teknoman said:
Raubahn huh? Sounds familiar...

Even has his old nickname, Raubahn the flame General. Also two of the company leaders are all from race/gender combintations we havn't seen before. Female Seedseer (kid horned race) and female Roegadyn :eek:.

dc89

Allard said:
I can confirm the game can 'run' on that spec. I play the game with almost the exact same laptop settings. Main difference is my i5 has a higher default clock at 2.66 ghz, the rest is the same. Only thing I'd mention is it won't run the game at the highest settings. Make sure you don't add ambient occulsion or depth of field when you install the game. You can get about 2-4 msaa, keep the drawing quality slightly below normal and shadows at standard and you can get the game running at around 25-30 fps pretty nicely with minimal tearing.

Even has his old nickname, Raubahn the flame General. Also two of the company leaders are all from race/gender combintations we havn't seen before. Female Seer-seeker (kid horned race) and female Roegadyn :eek:.

Thats a great help!

I'd love to have a PC that can run it at full :(

Jinko

Looking at background of those NM's, I'd say:-

Bardi is in Nanawa
Unkown Solider is in Cassiopeia Hollow
Alux is in Tam-Tara Deepcroft

So i'm guna log off in one of these spots, whos with me !

scotcheggz

dc89 said:
Thats a great help!

I'd love to have a PC that can run it at full :(

I wouldn't worry too much, I did the same as you, picked the game up for less than a tenner a few weeks back. I'm running it on a 2.1ghz core2 duo laptop with an 8600M! It's not pretty but it runs well enough with everything set to low.

Fortunately I'm half way through putting together a new rig. But yeh, you'll run it no problem I should think.

Wazzim

Banned
Got the game, expected tons of updates but shit, are the servers always so slow? I'm hovering on ~100kb/s.
EDIT: nvm, it seems to be some kind of torrent, it sped up after a while.

I hope this isn't too heavy of a request, but would somebody be able to give me (or link me to) a good summary of the major points or issues that have been fixed in this game so far? I played open beta and decided not to buy the game at launch as I wasn't completely satisfied yet. I'm still interested in this game, but I don't want to read through the entire thread to find out what has been fixed.

Is FFXIV worth getting into at the moment if I haven't been playing all this time? Or should I continue to wait,

Also, If I do end up playing... what server is GAF on?

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Looking at background of those NM's, I'd say:-

Bardi is in Nanawa
Unkown Solider is in Cassiopeia Hollow
Alux is in Tam-Tara Deepcroft

So i'm guna log off in one of these spots, whos with me !

Im in Muy Tuy cellars, but I could make it over to the Deepcroft real quick. Probably wont be on to much later since though.

Honestly im gonna hunt them all, or at least try to.

BentMyWookiee said:
I hope this isn't too heavy of a request, but would somebody be able to give me (or link me to) a good summary of the major points or issues that have been fixed in this game so far? I played open beta and decided not to buy the game at launch as I wasn't completely satisfied yet. I'm still interested in this game, but I don't want to read through the entire thread to find out what has been fixed.

Is FFXIV worth getting into at the moment if I haven't been playing all this time? Or should I continue to wait,

Also, If I do end up playing... what server is GAF on?

FFXIV Updates

You can find all the patch and update notes at the link above. I can't test this link since I'm at work but that should be right...

Don't soil the experience by joining too soon! Personally, I would wait until the battle system is completely revamped and they have introduced the instance dungeons before jumping in. This should be sometime around the end of May or June. By then, the company system should be up and running and there should be plenty of content to keep you busy while they work on adding more stuff.

Azrael

I haven't played since around New Year's because there haven't been any decent updates, but if this patch isn't another massive disappointment like the sidequests update maybe I'll log in again. Not this week, because I have a funeral to go to, but next week.

Teknoman

Well as far as content, yeah. But speaking on the foundation, the patches have been pretty substantial. This month (today and next patch) should be even more substantial.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
FFXIV Updates

You can find all the patch and update notes at the link above. I can't test this link since I'm at work but that should be right...

Don't soil the experience by joining too soon! Personally, I would wait until the battle system is completely revamped and they have introduced the instance dungeons before jumping in. This should be sometime around the end of May or June. By then, the company system should be up and running and there should be plenty of content to keep you busy while they work on adding more stuff.

This. Unless you want to be on the ground floor, and see how things were before the changes/watch them progress, i'd wait.

The majority of us are (were?) on Lindblum, but I think there are a few that are spread out on other servers (Figaro, Selbina). I'm just hoping that we can start doing more things as a linkshell soon, but that entails adding lots of content.

Jinko

I just saw this .

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...neral-OMG-Fix-It?p=85850&viewfull=1#post85850

At least we know he looks at the NA/EU forums.

They may consider removing +1 and +2 materials from crafting results and just have NQ and +3.

Greetings fellow adventurers!

With the expansion of player storage space, the development team has been talking and would like to give a quick update on their future plans. First in order to decrease the number of necessary materials, they’re looking to adjust crafting recipe requirements. This will affect storage issues, but the development team will continue to make further adjustments to directly address that concern. The development team is also planning to adjust the currently cumbersome UI; however these adjustments are just the beginning.

Also regarding high quality +1 and +2 items, we have made an adjustment where they can no longer be obtained through combat; however they are still obtainable through crafting. We would like to hear your thoughts on whether or not it’s a good idea to remove them from crafting results altogether along with any other feedback on this subject.

Duno how I feel about this.

more about behest said:
Greetings fellow adventurers!

The development team is aware of the current situation where players, whose ranks are too low to participate, are present within Behest and the team feels that there is nothing negative about placing a rank restriction. As a result, they are considering such an action but at the same time they are thinking within what level range the restriction should be applied. Changing the class during Behest can also be used to switch to a low-ranking class but restricting the class change could make things inconvenient for players. With this in mind, they will be holding further discussions on the topic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Duno how I feel about this.
People who are too high or too low rank are a problem in that they screw up SP for everyone else.

Implementing rank restrictions might be one solution, but it could possibly cause more problems than it solves.

A different way to alleviate this problem without causing more would be to hurry up and activate rank 50 camps already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom