• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

nice to see this stuff.I like that enemy ranks were added nice not to have to fire up the internet to see if I can kill something

Jinko

Well I'm downloading at 2-3 kB/s, fuck you BT and your shitty throttling !

Prob won't pick up til after midnight so doubt ill be on to hunt NM's :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Oh hell naw, an NM named after me? I mean, I know I'm awesome, but damn, that's one hell of a tribute. Thanks, Squenix! :3
You should use that portion of the new NM chart as your new avatar.

Jinko

Looks like that NM is pretty big :O

770.jpg

Margalis

Banned
I haven't logged in in a couple months.

Should I? It seems there have been a lot of small changes, are they adding up to a much more enjoyable experience?

Riposte

Always a slow update for me lol... I really wish he would introduce the new battle system already. I don't want to level up my classes too far without it.

Teknoman

OMG i need to fight!

Just download part of the patch via the XIV client, and finish it up with a normal bittorent.

EDIT: Wow 325MB patch?

Teknoman

Finish the patch using a normal bittorent client. Its 325MB.

Oh and nice spot on the NM size Jinko, that really does make them look like mini-bosses. Also it seems like Goblins among other monsters will be a little more spread out? Never seen a gob in La Noscea but:

769_6.jpg

That image seems to indicate more monster variety.

The following items now display on both the world map and minimap.

Shop
Repair
Guildleve Counter
Linkshell Manager
Retainer Counter
Summoning Bell
Guild Mark Exchange

[dev1029] Character collision with relatively low-lying outdoor elements has been removed.

[dev1047] Battle music now cuts in and out, rather than fading in and out.

Wondering how the bolded will be ingame.

EDIT:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/Im/image/194708

Goblin NPCs and quest givers.

http://www.ffxivpro.com/search/item/?update=2011-04-14

Some (almost all) of these new items look and sound great.

Also:

Hello everyone! This is design lead Takai!

As previously mentioned in the most recent Letter from the Producer, the development team is divided into a number of smaller teams that work together side-by-side on the overall scope of the game. While the effects team is one aspect of this, the work that was required to adjust the scale of battle effects was almost completely separate, made no impact on the work of other teams, and was something that we were able to complete single-handedly.

We’re aware that players feel that the game screen is looking fairly somber at the moment when it comes to graphics and effects. We’ll do our best to quickly release elements that are able to contribute to addressing that very issue.

This most recent battle effect size enhancement is similar to the case with the previous monster scale adjustments. Naturally we’re not done yet, and we’re currently making adjustments in conjunction with the battle team lead by Matsui. This collaboration is tied into various elements, as well as motion adjustments, related to the battle system and battle content and we’re moving steadily closer toward the releasing the first set of updates.

I’m sure I’m going to frustrate some of you with the fact that I can’t give you the specifics about the content or the release schedule, but know that this doesn’t just apply to effects; we’re also taking care of things related to the all around graphics. Hang in there until Yoshi-P makes his announcement!

Thanks!

Choo choo.

Teknoman

We'll see. I think the Bomb Baron has been confirmed to pop up at Cass though.

Either way I need to get:

Paladin Pants
Conquistador Elmo
Flametongue
Frostbite
whatever marauder stuff.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Thanalan
Bardi - Nanawa Mines (3,5) - Divining Hat
Quickfingers - Nanawa Mines (9,5) - Kokoroon's Darkshell Mail, Kokoroon's Nestpicker

Daddy Longlegs - Nophica Mines (18,30) - Elmlord's Tusk
Cactaur Jack - Nophica Wells (16,34) - Conquistador Elmo, Fists of the Sixth Sun

Nest Commander - Camp Horizon (10,24) - Nighthawk Visor
Pyrausta - Camp Horizon (8, 32) - Howling Talons

La Noscea
Bomb Baron - Casseopia Hollow (3,4) - Frostbite
Unknown Soldier - Casseopia Hollow (10,5) - Paladin's Trousers, Anathema

Barometz - Bloodshore (35, 17) - Crimson Tide
Slippery Sykes - Bloodshore (38, 25) - Thalassian Targe,

Gluttonous Gertrude - Cedarwood (31, 32) Shield of Savage
Old Six-arms - Cedarwood (31, 33) - Shellsplitter, Venerer's Bracers

Black Shroud
Alux - Mun Tay Cellars (5,5) - Kple Kple
Prince of Pestilence - Mun Tay Cellars (6,3) - Seer's Cowl, Flametongue

Sirocco - Humblehearth (27,31) - Taurus Staff
Phaia - Humblehearth (29, 34) - Penance Belt, Boar's Bane

Jackanapes - Tranquil (45, 51) - Bow of Owls
Queen Bolete - Tranquil (36, 50) - Eternal Shade

Coerthas
Downy Dunstan - Camp Glory (49, 33) - Loyalist's Bliaud
Spitfire - Camp Gory (50,35) - Bloodcry Staff, Engineer's Leggings

kiryogi

Banned
:eek: that does sound pretty extensive... Updating, but I do that all the time. Getting me on is another story. To add to the hate though... I started playing RO again D: lol.

kiryogi said:
:eek: that does sound pretty extensive... Updating, but I do that all the time. Getting me on is another story. To add to the hate though... I started playing RO again D: lol.

whywouldyoudothat_2.jpg

Instead, do what I did. I updated FFXIV, quit it's launcher, and started Tera instead. 3 Gaffers and I just spent a couple of hours in the first real instance of the game, a large dungeon which features 2 different boss fights. You open this dungeon at level 21. The second and final boss was an epic fight that ended up taking us half an hour to complete and it was fantastic, like the whole rest of the game.

I've been playing my Ranger in that game and it's completely the opposite of how I play my Archer in FFXIV, or for the matter, how anybody plays any class in FFXIV. People say the boss fights in Tera are a lot like Monster Hunter, I've never played those games but suffice it to say that you never stand still for a moment in a Tera boss fight, not even for a second. Compare that to killing Uraeus where everyone takes their position and stands there until the pieste is dead, and there just isn't a comparison. You stand still during a Tera boss fight and you'll be dead nearly instantly when it jumps on you and squashes you flat, slams a giant fist on top of you and squashes you flat, throws a fireball at you and squashes you flat, or just runs you over. As I've said before, the difference in combat is akin to the difference between EverQuest and God of War, and Tera is more like God of War than you'd believe until you've played it.

Wazzim

Banned
Oh great another update...I hope it's worth it.

Does someone know how to see what kind of quests you have and how to get to them? They don't tell shit ingame exept from some weird mumbo-jumbo talk from NPC's about teleporting.

Wazzim

Banned
Teknoman said:
Just walk around and look for people with exclamation point bubbles?
Needed to go to the plains apparently and got to my target location. Did 2 quests, died tons of times in both while they were both low rank quests. :/
This game does a extremely bad job of guiding beginners, I'm sure it gets better later on though.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
I've been playing my Ranger in that game and it's completely the opposite of how I play my Archer in FFXIV, or for the matter, how anybody plays any class in FFXIV. People say the boss fights in Tera are a lot like Monster Hunter, I've never played those games but suffice it to say that you never stand still for a moment in a Tera boss fight, not even for a second. Compare that to killing Uraeus where everyone takes their position and stands there until the pieste is dead, and there just isn't a comparison. You stand still during a Tera boss fight and you'll be dead nearly instantly when it jumps on you and squashes you flat, slams a giant fist on top of you and squashes you flat, throws a fireball at you and squashes you flat, or just runs you over. As I've said before, the difference in combat is akin to the difference between EverQuest and God of War, and Tera is more like God of War than you'd believe until you've played it.

WoW has played pretty much like that for some time now with dynamic fights, FF11 and FF14 have always been stand in your spot and zerg it to death, too bad SE don't have a clue about making fights engaging and fun.

Obviously Tera add's another level to that because the gameplay it more action based, I need to get into the beta already, I will always have a soft spot for FF14 because I want it to be great, I just don't think its guna happen.

Jinko

kiryogi said:
Hah well I did Vindictus, so I know about how awesome Tera could possibly be. But isn't it only Korean beta right now? :p

No game has been out in Korea since December, NA/EU had an Alpha test a week ago and should be starting beta soon.

A quote from one of the community mods on the forum about dungeons.

Everyone can rest assured that the raid dungeons and content that we're planning to implement in the future will feature not only tough battles, but also challenging and exhilarating bosses. The nitty-gritty details are tied into the future rollout of Grand Companies which we'll be announcing the juicy particulars of at a later date. I hope you're all looking forward to it with bated breath!

Teknoman

Looks like their tying in the egg stuff with the actual storyline too?

732_5.jpg

(Really like Yoshida's stuff when he goes for the 4 Heroes of light style)

● The Maddening Crowd

Even as we speak, the Dreamer's congregation continues to grow, but is this phenomenon truly a result of the masses belief in the prophecy Jihli sings, or is it something else that drives them, something less divine? It was only after further investigation, that I learned Jihli is offering specially crafted "egg caps" to all those who assist her in preparing for the Hatching Hour. Could it be that material lust is the true driving factor behind this festival's popularity? Perhaps we will never know, but what is certain, when the Hatching Hour comes and the celebration reaches its climax, all eyes will be on the Dreamer and her eggs. Will the Archons descend upon Eorzea, or will Jihli and her gospel fade into obscurity? The answer will be clear only when the Keeper's sands have run their course.

EDIT: Hopefully they'll go further with the dodging mechanic, since they sorta tried to touch on it in XI (Minotaur deathstare where you had to face away to avoid petrify, or breaking weapons/armor by attacking from a certain direction) and seem to be attempting it early on in XIV (Move out of the way of Yarzon corrosive acid spit, dodge mole dig attack, get out of the bomb explode range, side step human weapon skills, etc).

Granted its not as action packed as MH, but then again FF main series games usually arent that action packed as far as actual dodge mechanics go.

Oh and tons of foreshadowing for a Garlean invasion with the recent quests/intro company quest. Rank 15 quest Quid pro Quo in Ul'dah for example.

EDIT: I'm seriously surprised that there are a few people complaining about the effect size increase. Not only did they boost some skills by different sizes (nothing ridiculous), but some seem sharper too, like Rampart and Ferocity. Someone was saying it looked like a "disco party" with a full party/still hard to see the monster with a 4 person party.

We were running around in a 5 person party the other day, hunting NMs, and could see the monsters just fine. Even when fighting a normal enemy or watching a larger party we could still keep track. I know this isnt the only change, but it actually worked out nicely in making what we already have, look better...and actually closer to classic FF titles, with the large slashing/magic effects.

dc89

YAY! My game is at home waiting for me. How long is the installation process and should i expect a big patch before i start playing?

dc89 said:
YAY! My game is at home waiting for me. How long is the installation process and should i expect a big patch before i start playing?

The installation process from the disc takes a million years because several tens of thousands of tiny files are copied slowly one by one. Then the patch process takes several more million years because it downloads and applies patches sequentially from the launch day patch to the latest one. Squenix fail.
To be completely fair, if you install Starcraft II from the disc, you will also patch sequentially about 50 times before being allowed to play. So it's not only Squenix that fails here. Nobody except Microsoft seems to ever have heard of rollup patches.

Protip: Turn UAC entirely OFF in Vista/7 before starting patching unless you feel like babysitting the patching process for hours because if UAC is on it will prompt you to allow the patcher to patch every time it downloads a patch and starts the next patch process. I have never seen another game patcher in my life that requires UAC prompting. Squenix fail.

Started another character today to see whats new. Only made it to Physical Rank 10 before so I never really started anyway. I am digging the little exclamation points over characters pertaining to my quest. I guess it does take away the from the exploration, but now I at least know who I need to talk to. Considering how many npcs there are in the cities I have no problems with this. Also appreciate the numerical value attached to monster levels now.

Decided to start over as a THM, as I like the sound of the versatility of the class. Hopefully I can come to terms with the crafting system in the game, as it confuses me. Any advice, or good site to go to learn the basics. Its pretty much what scares me the most about the game, is that I don't know where the hell to start or what to focus on.

Darte

Unknown Soldier said:
The installation process from the disc takes a million years because several tens of thousands of tiny files are copied slowly one by one. Then the patch process takes several more million years because it downloads and applies patches sequentially from the launch day patch to the latest one. Squenix fail.
To be completely fair, if you install Starcraft II from the disc, you will also patch sequentially about 50 times before being allowed to play. So it's not only Squenix that fails here. Nobody except Microsoft seems to ever have heard of rollup patches.

I don't know what kinda connection/pc you have but I reinstalled a few weeks ago and the installation took longer than the actual patching for me. Have you tried opening ports?

dc89

Right GAF.

having a bit of trouble here. blah blah blah

Edit:

downloaded drivers not from ATI but from Acer. It appeared to have crashed installing the drivers. So I hard restarted with a grimace on my face. Rebooted and now it appears to be working touch wood!

Edit x2:

I'm not digging this 3.4KBS download speed on a 15meg connection. Anything anyone can recommend?

Edit x3:

I found out you can download the patches in a torrent client. So now I have 4 patches on the go. I take it the names such as D2010.09.19.0000 is the date the patch was issued?

I have 2010.09.19, 2010.11.25, 2010,12,13 & 2011.04.13 all downloading.

kiryogi

Banned
Jinko said:
No game has been out in Korea since December, NA/EU had an Alpha test a week ago and should be starting beta soon.

A quote from one of the community mods on the forum about dungeons.

Where do I sign up :eek:

dc89

So once my torrent patches are downloaded I just drop them in to the patches faulder and run the client again right?

Teknoman

dc89 said:
So once my torrent patches are downloaded I just drop them in to the patches faulder and run the client again right?

Yup.

EDIT:
Dev stuff -

To speak to the concern about a lack of new stories, quests, etc. - Of course we'll be adding new events and quests filled with more robust and varied forms of storytelling. We'll also be adding story-related content geared towards parties, as well. However, the implementation of these new high-quality events and quests are planned to make their debut after the implementation of raid dungeons and battle adjustments/tweaks.

GrumpyAlien said:
Started another character today to see whats new. Only made it to Physical Rank 10 before so I never really started anyway. I am digging the little exclamation points over characters pertaining to my quest. I guess it does take away the from the exploration, but now I at least know who I need to talk to. Considering how many npcs there are in the cities I have no problems with this. Also appreciate the numerical value attached to monster levels now.

Decided to start over as a THM, as I like the sound of the versatility of the class. Hopefully I can come to terms with the crafting system in the game, as it confuses me. Any advice, or good site to go to learn the basics. Its pretty much what scares me the most about the game, is that I don't know where the hell to start or what to focus on.

The lodestone itself is pretty helpful. Also what server are you on?

Jinko said:
I also came up with a cool idea they could add to leves Please Check It!

Sure, they'll add that in about 6 years if ever. I think they have just a few more important things to do right now.

dc89 said:
So let me get this right.

You pay per character?

Um, you would, if the game wasn't currently in eternal F2P state. Create as many characters as you have slots, just don't become attached to anybody other than your main because they'll go away if and when the game ever starts having a fee associated with it.

Cmagus

What is it about new content that makes people douchebags just curious like holy crap what a day yesterday was with this game. These new NM's have people so obsessive and bitchy I was in three parties hunting them.I figured whatever just try to grab them and hopefully get some gear but of the three groups I was in we had trouble grabbing them in two of them a person threw a hissy cause we couldn't get it swearing and trash talking the other groups.I didn't feel like making enemies haha bad enough the population is declining. The third the guy got so mad he booted everyone but his friend.Just this morning I was going after one with someone from my other LS and same thing he got so mad he said "I've had enough im leaving bye" and left like a little whiner.

Also when we managed to claim on others stood around and kept bitching that we were taking to long lol like seriously of course I slowed my attack to drag it out longer just cause. After today I've given up on these haha what a shitty day in this game I spent most of my day listening to people whine and apologzing to major groups so I didn't get blacklisted. Funny enough though I managed to solo two myself so I at least got some NM action but no gear :(

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
^ I love how NMs add some drama to the game

Yeah lol. If anything, it shows its on its way to becoming a real MMO :p Cant play online without drama...even though im not sure why people cant just take turns on low rank NMs that have constant spawn times yet wide spawn areas.

The items are nice for ranking up lower classes, or your current class if you arent 40+ (actually some items look like they'll carry over for awhile), but people shouldnt be flipping out...yet.

Jinko said:
BTW there is more than 1 egg cap.

http://ffxiv.yg.com/items?f=s=egg cap

Rank 20 and 30 ones look cool :p

Im surprised they have multiple event equip that actually seem sorta useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom