• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Encampments = quest hubs, thank fucking god, I have to say they look pretty awesome.

Why do JP dev's still insist on show low res pics ?

Someone on the forums pointed out there is a new icon added to the bottom right corner of the image, its a placeholder right now, could it be auto party group search :O

And holy crap at Shiyo, she's having a melt down today.

letterimage03.jpg

letterimage02.jpg

letterimage01.jpg

letterimage04.jpg

Munba

Also the steampunk cobold village seems awesome :D The "bring life to eorzea" developement is going be great.. i love it (so much words i spent in forum about it and have the reward finally lol).

Quest hubs? With quests? And you move from hub to hub, completing quests instead of just grinding thousands of mobs?

Instanced dungeons? With storylines connected to the Companies, and hopefully awesome bosses to kill so you can take their stuff?

Where's Keanu Reeves when you need him? "Woah."

I hope there's more than just 1 hub in each area and 1 dungeon in patch 1.18, but it seems like they are going to bring in content gradually. I would rather patch the game and suddenly there's a quest hub every 20 feet yalms and a dungeon every 100 feet yalms, but I'm guessing the added content will be a step in the right direction and also completable in a day or so. :|

Babalu.

it's looking good! I can't wait.

And please let all the mysterious things happening be linked to some kind of storied or historic event.

It really had me excited!

Teknoman

Babalu. said:
it's looking good! I can't wait.

And please let all the mysterious things happening be linked to some kind of storied or historic event.

It really had me excited!

It should be...I mean they cant have a GM and npcs going on about the same death and destruction for the rest of May with nothing happening at all.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Encampments = quest hubs, thank fucking god, I have to say they look pretty awesome.

Why do JP dev's still insist on show low res pics ?

Someone on the forums pointed out there is a new icon added to the bottom right corner of the image, its a placeholder right now, could it be auto party group search :O

And holy crap at Shiyo, she's having a melt down today.

letterimage03.jpg

letterimage02.jpg

letterimage01.jpg

letterimage04.jpg

Seriously, I have no idea how she's complaining about low rank dungeons. And anyone thats a fan of S-E period knows that for better or worse, even if they take on a new genre standard, they are going to do it their own way.

Wasnt Moblin Maze Mongers sort of an instanced dungeon?

Riposte

Mid-June ;_;

Well I am replaying a bunch of old CRPGs anyway, so maybe I lucked out. Think I'll take Lancer to 30 to be ready for the dungeons. (Want that to be my main, rather than Marauder). So far I have been collecting quests, but I should honestly get back to actually gaining ranks.

Teknoman

Well arent we still supposed to get two updates per month? Shouldnt we be seeing a major event this month to set up all the June stuff?

Also just as a side note, that Gifthorse guy from the official forums is just really negative. Never had anyone get under my skin from a forum post, but damn.

Teknoman said:
Also just as a side note, that Gifthorse guy from the official forums is just really negative. Never had anyone get under my skin from a forum post, but damn.

Maybe you shouldn't look him in the mouth.

.......I know, I know. Doesn't fit but the timing couldn't be better.

This new stuff looks really interesting but tame instead of the destruction they are foretelling.

Teknoman

Apparently its started raining inside Ul'dah, and it never rains inside the cities...right? Also thanks for the heads up. Figured I was missing something simple.

Ken

Been looking for a new MMO to try out and was wondering if FF XIV is a good one to try? Didn't play when it came out due to all the negative reception it received but was wondering if now is a good time to play or will there be a big upcoming patch/revision and I should jump in later. I've never played the other FF MMO so this will be a first.

Mailman 007

Neo Member
Ken said:
Been looking for a new MMO to try out and was wondering if FF XIV is a good one to try? Didn't play when it came out due to all the negative reception it received but was wondering if now is a good time to play or will there be a big upcoming patch/revision and I should jump in later. I've never played the other FF MMO so this will be a first.

There isn't too much content in the game at the moment, but in June they will be introducing a new battle system, quest hubs and 2 dungeons.
Overall, the game is much better than when it was first released though.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Ken said:

Nope, not at the moment.

Ken

Alright thanks. Guess I'll check the game again in June.

Wanted to try it out based on some of the artwork that's been posted in this thread and that it doesn't look too bad graphically.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ken said:
Wanted to try it out based on some of the artwork that's been posted in this thread and that it doesn't look too bad graphically.
It looks great, graphics-wise. You may enjoy what little content there is now since you'd be new. The rest of us are a bit tired of it because it's been the same old shit for the past 7 months.

I'd suggest asking around on the Zam or the FFXIVCore or other fansites to see if anyone has a buddy pass they'd let you use.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rentahamster said:
Buffalo Wild Wings om nom nom nom

Dodore Wings

hehe I was gonna ask if it as buffalo wings.

Nice, who else needs a dodore? I think the only ones at that rank that don't have one are Maki, Aria, and Rising. :eek: I'll take a +2 or 3 though :D

jtrov

Hey guys, I've been reading the last few pages of this thread and I decided to try this game out again, because it sounds like things could get interesting. I just rerolled my character on Lindblum, so I hope to play with some of you guys. The game is quite barren, but I hope to join those of you that still play.

Is there anyway I can get a Linkshell pearl? Maybe tonight if anyone is on?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I'll (Dega Emenis) be on in about 3-4 hours and can invite you. Renta(Renta Hamster) and Coldsnap(King Lala) can also let you.

jtrov

Emenis said:
I'll (Dega Emenis) be on in about 3-4 hours and can invite you. Renta(Renta Hamster) and Coldsnap(King Lala) can also let you.

I just got home, so I'll be hopping on any minute. Thank you!

My character is Lan Vanisher.

Thanks again for the pearl! :)

Teknoman

Hopefully something with the prophets of doom happens this week.

Didnt someone say the tablet/poem meant May 6th? Or was it June?

Allard

The poem details june but I think a lot of people are putting it next to the in game calendar. We should hit the date around May 14thish. Also I don't expect many new things to happen, both in the game and on the web till next week. Its Golden Week right now which means a lot of the devs might be on vacation.

On the subject of the post I made on UI lag last week, it 99% disappeared when I turned my settings down from Highest to High/Standard. There's a huge jump in performance, probably just optimisation.

Chinese Electric Batman said:
On the subject of the post I made on UI lag last week, it 99% disappeared when I turned my settings down from Highest to High/Standard. There's a huge jump in performance, probably just optimisation.
Yeah, I changed some settings around and it makes very large differences in lag and framerate.

The optional things like DOF and ambient occlusion take up alot of power, yet I would say that the overall effect isn't worth it.

Coldsnap

Chinese Electric Batman said:

Yea, especially draw distance and draw quality. With a 2500k and a GTX 560 you think I would be able to have both those at high but the game runs way smoother when they are both on standards, sorta comical.

Coldsnap said:
Yea, especially draw distance and draw quality. With a 2500k and a GTX 560 you think I would be able to have both those at high but the game runs way smoother when they are both on standards, sorta comical.

That is the only thing that really gets me about this game. Being able to run same pretty graphic heavy games on high settings then coming to FFXIV and having to turn down the graphics settings because of poor performance.

Jinko

Going above standard will render the game at + the resolution of the window, which is why you see such dramatic differences.

They way the game renders is as follows:- if 8 is standard (native window resolution), 9 is 1.5x the window resolution and 10 is 2x the window resolution.

Say we have 1080p set as the window size, 8 = 1080, 9 = 1620 and 10 = 2160, It's basically super sampling which is guna be a massive hit on any system.

You are better off leaving the settings at standard and increasing the window size.

As usual SE haven't a F'ing clue what they are doing on a PC.

Jinko

I was referring to "General Drawing Quality".

I have no idea what background drawing quality does, I have it set to high and seem no difference if I put it on the lowest setting.

Yup, General Drawing Quality above 8 (Standard) is actually Supersampling, rendering above the native resolution and scaling it down. If you actually do this, turn AA off in the options!

Teknoman said:

I guess I can quit FFXIV now that my dream of cat ears in real life has been finally realized!

edit: Due to some drama, I won't be back in FFXIV until the mid-June patch, if ever. If you actually want to find me, which is probably unlikely, send me a PM and I'll help you get set up in Tera. Otherwise I'm 99.9% sure that I'm done with this game. If you are confused by this paragraph, ask Maki Star in game for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom