• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munba

Someone was able to enter in a closed dungeon in choertas, ..very indy-esque :D

edit. can't post imgs from that neko site :/

Teknoman

Munba said:
Someone was able to enter in a closed dungeon in choertas, ..very indy-esque :D

edit. can't post imgs from that neko site :/

Rehosted:

jnvypM.jpg

jnzKUk.jpg

jnzE5M.jpg

jnvpJq.jpg

jnvLHm.jpg

jlj8fS.jpg

jlews0.jpg

jle6Xe.jpg

jliVJA.jpg

Jinko

Hmmm I duno guys that dungeon is pretty bland looking, add some waterfalls or fire or something its just a big grey pit otherwise.

It's like something from a Tomb Raiders game minus all the cool stuff.

Munba

Thx tekno.

Btw i think that dungeon is still 'empty' and in raw/old version (probably there since long time ago).

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Just fill it with monsters that kick my ass to next Tuesday, and I'll be happy.

Well that and make them a ton more fun, killing NM's in this game sends me to sleep.

Riposte

Anyone want to do some regular leves in order to get 20 to 30? Basically all I want (on LNC). Have more free time now.

Teknoman

I kinda want to get my Marauder up to 30 too, but its only rank 14 or something. Gladiator is already at 30.

Munba said:
Hope in some riddles, traps and indy stuff there. Not only killing.. :/

Yeah, i'd like them to figure out how to implement offline style FF puzzles in the game. Or at least something similar/more advanced than XI.

Jinko said:
Well that and make them a ton more fun, killing NM's in this game sends me to sleep.

Make a topic and barrage them with possible NM fight improvements. Personally I think all NMs should have a rage mode, complete with music change when their HP gets low. Maybe an aura or different animation during the mode too (or glowing eyes).

Think of it like this:

Normal battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4FpTM1m924&feature=related
Desperation mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxA5ElDNqUA

Really brings out the feeling that you have to hurry and put and end to the fight.

Jinko said:

It was actually a lot better when the NMs were first put in and tuned for 15-person parties. Now the NMs are a joke. I understand why Squenix lowered the party size, but they also made the NMs ridiculously easy for no good reason at all.

Jinko said:
New Korean based MMO called ArchAge using cryengine 2, currently in beta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5RUDtslVVk&feature=related

How is it that all these small time Korena dev's completely put SE to shame.

It looks like they tried to make Assassin's Creed the MMOG. Well, good luck to them, but excessive use of "green-and-brown realistic" in Western MMOGs has killed that look for me. It looks great I guess, and it certainly emphasizes how different Unreal Engine 3 and CryEngine 2/3 games look.

As for Squenix, they had to develop an MMOG that worked on PS3. Yes, FFXIV looks the way it does because of PS3 LIMITATIONS. You give an engine more than 256MB of VRAM and a GPU to work on more powerful than the equivalent of GeForce 7800GTX with a castrated 1/2 bandwidth memory bus even compared to the PC version of that GPU, and what you get is, well, more. FFXIV can never look any better or different than it does because fundamentally it needs to run on PS3, even though the PS3 version is now looking like not until 2012 at the current rate that Squenix is developing the game.

I think it's funny that in mid-June Squenix is preparing to deliver the first quest hubs and reportedly 4 dungeons of unknown quality. Sometime NEXT WEEK the first major content update for Tera is dropping in Korea, the game launched January 25th, and the new content includes 2 new zones (including an aerial zone!), flying mounts, 4 new dungeons, and level cap raised to 58. Oh, and server-vs-server PvP (think cross-server Battlegrounds). The Koreans are just KILLING everybody else in pace of MMOG development right now, mainly because the Koreans couldn't give less of a shit about the SHADOW OF WoW and make what they damn well want.

Riposte said:
Given that Korea is the the forefront of MMO development, while Japan is at least third place and not receptive to the PC, a "small time" Korean company has an edge. Even over a large Japanese company.

The problems are as follows.

In the West, all MMOGs must labor in the SHADOW OF WoW. All MMOGs must be exactly like WoW to survive (Rift, LOTRO), or nothing like WoW at all (EVE). The sheer overwhelming monopolistic domination of WoW essentially chokes the life out of the Western MMOG market. WoW is like a very large tree in a field, blocking out the sun and preventing other trees from growing in it's shadow. It's mere presence dictates everything about the Western MMOG market, which has been stagnating ever since WoW launched because it basically prevents everything else from ever taking root and thriving. Well, Western MMOG studios also have a suicidal habit of launching games before they are finished, so people buy it, play it for a month, decide it sucks, quit after the free month is over, and return to playing WoW. So many Western MMOG studios are apparently run by fucking idiots.

In Japan, there is almost no PC gaming tradition like there is in the West. Most "PC gamers" in Japan play only visual novels. The MMOG has traditionally been a PC-centric market. The whole reason Squenix made FFXI for PS2 and PC was simply because at the time Squenix felt that they needed a PS2 version for anybody in Japan to actually play it. Until the PS2 HDD was unceremoniously discontinued by Sony, over 80% of FFXI players in Japan were on PS2. Squenix feels this pressure even today, which is why FFXIV is so heavily crippled technically because of the plans to release a PS3 version. It is interesting that Blizzard has never had any interest in translating and releasing WoW in Japan, at the very least, as Japan is essentially an entirely untapped MMOG market (what market there is) and Squenix certainly is doing a good job of fucking everything up in their uncontested home market.

In Korea, PC gaming is at least a strong as it is in the West. Starcraft alone guarantees that. Furthermore, the Koreans are hardcore about everything, and this translates well to MMOGs where the more hardcore you are, the more successful you are in clearing content and achieving goals. Koreans LOVE TO GRIND. Seriously. They love that shit. Tera is the most anti-Korean Korean MMOG ever made because it has a WoW-like leveling system where you do quests to gain experience to advance. And Koreans reportedly are COMPLAINING there are too many quests in Tera, which get in the way of their peaceful grinding.

The amount of people who play MMOGs in Korea proportionate to the population is much greater than in the West and Japan. Korea's population is currently around 50 million people, of those, around 3.5 million play Aion, 2-3 million play Lineage 1/2, and an unknown number play other games like Tera. There is no other place on Earth where you can say at least 1 in 10 people plays MMOGs, which explains why the Koreans are developing new ones like crazy and just pouring money into them, because in Korea, MMOGs print money like nowhere else except if you're Blizzard.

Oh, Koreans don't play WoW either, so they are free to labor in a sunny field not choking to death in the SHADOW OF WoW. The Koreans are free to innovate in a way that Western MMOGs cannot ever imagine because of the rabid devotion of their home market and the complete lack of WoW towering over everything. Games like Tera and Blade & Soul represent the future of MMOGs, while the Western MMOG market is trapped in an endless cycle of make WoW-clone MMOG, everyone plays for free for a month, everyone quits and returns to WoW again and again. There is essentially no more innovation in the Western MMOG market because of the SHADOW of WoW, whereas free of this shadow, the Koreans do as they please.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
It was actually a lot better when the NMs were first put in and tuned for 15-person parties. Now the NMs are a joke. I understand why Squenix lowered the party size, but they also made the NMs ridiculously easy for no good reason at all.

Isnt that just rank 30 NMs though? I dont think those are supposed to gut you. Or did they adjust the big rank 50s?

Teknoman

I guess the first dungeon is in La Noscea, where that npc wouldnt let us by for fear of pirates.

Are you sure thats the kobold spot though? I know that yellow liquid dungeon was posted awhile ago.

Either way, whats messed up is that these places were in game since launch >_>

Coldsnap said:
ah good read Kawaii. WHen is tera getting translated?

I'm playing it just fine in Korean Martian. The game was originally scheduled for Fall/Winter 2011 but at this point it's not clear just when they plan on releasing it. The amount of content which Bluehole is planning to add the game before the end of 2011 casts a lot of doubt as to when it will actually make it Stateside because they're quite literally adding to the game faster than the existing parts can be translated and localized. Also, if SWTOR releases late 2011, I can see Bluehole purposely delaying Tera to 2012 just to stay the hell out of that juggernaut's path.

So in other words, [Ah-nuld]GET YOUR ASS TO MAURS![/Ah-nuld]

Munba

Teknoman said:
Are you sure thats the kobold spot though?

I'm pretty sure, following 3 elements: it's located north of Iron Lake (under o'ghomoro); in the lore, kobolds live in og'homoro; the video shows some stemapunk stuff around, just like the screen posted in the last producer letter.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
As for Squenix, they had to develop an MMOG that worked on PS3. Yes, FFXIV looks the way it does because of PS3 LIMITATIONS. You give an engine more than 256MB of VRAM and a GPU to work on more powerful than the equivalent of GeForce 7800GTX with a castrated 1/2 bandwidth memory bus even compared to the PC version of that GPU, and what you get is, well, more. FFXIV can never look any better or different than it does because fundamentally it needs to run on PS3, even though the PS3 version is now looking like not until 2012 at the current rate that Squenix is developing the game.

You have seen Blade and Soul and how good that looks right, coming to PC,PS3 and 360.

I think the PS3 limitation thing is a typical excuse from SE "We just don't know how"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCzgZEEgj9k&feature=watch_response
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NORAnJW-sIg&feature=related

Granted the PS3 and 360 will never look as good as the PC version that goes without saying but the biggest problem with FFXIV is it has no streaming so they have to load the zone map into memory using tiled assets. (no excuse for server side clunky UI either)

Even before the nerf the bosses were just as boring, it just took more people to kill them (well you could actually 6 man most tbh), bosses still just stood there whilst you all clobbered them to death as fast as you could.

I don't agree with you about WoW stuff either, they may not have a Korean client but Korean devs still know that WoW is their biggest competition in the west (and china now), lets face it Korean MMO's were still using point and click to move til a few years back.

Aion copied WoW massively and Tera is copying Aion in many aspects.

All MMO's are in the shadow of WoW no matter where they are made.

Teknoman

Munba said:
I'm pretty sure, following 3 elements: it's located north of Iron Lake (under o'ghomoro); in the lore, kobolds live in og'homoro; the video shows some stemapunk stuff around, just like the screen posted in the last producer letter.

I need to watch it a little closer then, all I saw was glowing puddles and rocky structures.

EDIT: Google Translate -

Hello.

Thanks for the feedback. Yoshida has been talking with producers.

Such as those spoken in this thread, including the LS can be used in the housing is considered to be one of those that want to do it by all means. Still in the planning stage for each stage, and what you can specifically show that there is no reason, I hope there is something like this! Because that will be helpful, I'd appreciate your feedback regarding the housing will continue without hesitation.

Teknoman

Dun dun dunnnn:

Bayohne:

As you can see by the discussion taking place, there are many facets involved in the current design of not being able to invite while engaged. We checked in with the dev. team and were informed that because we have not designed content centered around the need to swap party members, we do not plan on changing this. However, depending on the content we add in the future, there is a possibility that we may change our policy or implement specific exceptions.

There will always be "what about [xyz] instance!" where being unable to invite is a hindrance, but overall the system was designed for specific purposes. We do appreciate the comments and feedback presented, and I'll be sure to pass these along as well.

Im not really sure why the designed content not being designed around party swapping has do with someone being disconnected.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
I got a community rep response to my underwear thread.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...-Drops-Please!?p=126419&viewfull=1#post126419

That was unexpectedly delightful :D

lol I was just about to post that.

I agree that you can never have enough underwear (in Eorzea, or elsewhere) so I passed along the suggestion to the dev. team!

On glowing weapons:

We spoke with the development team about the possibility of more glowing equipment or weapons, and they said that there are some nice ideas being presented in the thread and that they would like to do it! Though it might be sometime far in the future, they hope that everyone will look forward to 'em!

(P.S. I agree, the Lantern Shield looks awesome)

If anything, I hope they dont do a random glow effect, and add some sort of elemental effect or streaming energy.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I agree with you Renta.

While the game has improved somewhat since launch (mostly making the game easier to access) I don't consider anything added so far as a worthwhile improvement to the game. It doesn't seem like there is any real purpose to do anything in this game besides get SP for a craft, battle class, or make money. I guess people will say "Well, that's all you really do in any MMORPG." and I guess that's somewhat true but at least make the ride more enjoyable with some sense of accomplishment.

I dunno *shrug* lol

Edit: Oh I shoulda added killing an NM faster to that purpose list. o.o

Jinko

LOL at the "Players connot join the party while you are engaged in combat" thread, it was closed because the mod didn't like what we had to say about the half asses response we got from the community rep.

What a F'ing joke.

I'm starting to get the feeling this game will never be up to standard.

Almost every response from them is "we asked the devs and they will look into it" or "the devs said that it may take some time to implement that"

They act as if they are giving us information when in fact all they are doing is nodding their heads at us.

Tera can't come out fast enough ..

Edit:- Actually >.>

lotroi.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LOTRO isn't a very good game, but it might keep you busy a few months before you get deathly bored of the terrible auto-attack combat, the identical to WoW in everything but setting world, the crappy art design and character animations, and the overall low budget feel of the game. It is, quite frankly, unworthy of the Lord of the Rings license.

Teknoman

Hmm...end of hatching tide stuff:

Somewhere along the banks of the Black Tea River in Gridania...

"I see the mind purge was a success," mutters a hooded man as he slowly folds a copy of the Raven and slips it beneath his dark cloak.

"I did only what was necessary. Had we let her continue before we had completed our preparations, the consequences would have been dire," replies a similarly garbed woman huddled in the shadow of a nearby tree.

The man pauses for a moment, then slowly lifts his head to gaze upon the twin moons hovering in the night sky before whispering, "Yet time is of the essence. There are those who have already begun to piece together the clues laid out before them, and soon our secret will be a secret no longer. But until then, we must remain vigilant..."

Emenis said:
I agree with you Renta.

While the game has improved somewhat since launch (mostly making the game easier to access) I don't consider anything added so far as a worthwhile improvement to the game. It doesn't seem like there is any real purpose to do anything in this game besides get SP for a craft, battle class, or make money. I guess people will say "Well, that's all you really do in any MMORPG." and I guess that's somewhat true but at least make the ride more enjoyable with some sense of accomplishment.

I dunno *shrug* lol

Edit: Oh I shoulda added killing an NM faster to that purpose list. o.o

I don't know why you guys don't quit. I quit because I had to, you guys have a choice in the matter and you still choose the way of pain. I still haven't gotten your PM either Dega, and I'm not exactly holding my breath you'll be sending it to me soon if ever.

notworksafe

Unknown Soldier said:
LOTRO isn't a very good game, but it might keep you busy a few months before you get deathly bored of the terrible auto-attack combat, the identical to WoW in everything but setting world, the crappy art design and character animations, and the overall low budget feel of the game. It is, quite frankly, unworthy of the Lord of the Rings license.
Easily has the best story of any MMO, though. Animations and graphics have been very much improved from launch as well. DX11 helps the shadows, water, and details really look amazing. If you haven't played it since launch, the game is really amazing and has become a very good game that brings the feel of the books to life. Free to play really was the best thing that ever happened to the game. Square could learn many, many lessons. I've got a guild on Silverlode if you are looking for people to team up with and play.

Of course it could be worse. It could be a very beautiful, unplayable mess with nothing to do and an empty world that is unworthy of the Final Fantasy license like another game.

Teknoman

Dev updates:

Spoke with Yoshida regarding the ability for current players to have some kind of "one-time switch" for any new genders that appear in the future, he said that he appreciates the comments and that he'll consider it.

I know that the disconnection/re-joining party issue was a concern here, so I made sure to follow up with the development team and seek a comment. They said that they would like to do something in the event that a player is disconnected due to an error and would like to re-join the party, and are looking into adding a mechanism to address this.

(or they can just do away with that function period, or at least make it so you cant rejoin during a leve, but can rejoin during any other battle)

Checked with the development team and wanted to report back. While the "controller"-type settings have seen changes and updates as of late, you can rest assured that we will be making adjustments so that keyboards will also be customizable in the future. We'll be performing UI-related fixes and updates tied to the new battle system adjustments, so at that time we would like to implement this.

Thanks for the suggestions gang! Some interesting uses for call-type notices presented here (though I mostly used them to annoy my friends...). I sent along the details to the team!

Spoke with Yoshida and got confirmation that Player Companies are still in the works.

(I like how the post above and this flow together so naturally)

(So grand companies and player run companies are not the same thing)

After checking with Yoshida about some kind of fame/reputation system making an appearance, it seems like they are looking into this type of feature.

(better pay out fame for people that have already knocked out sidequests)

On to why I dont quit: Its free to play at the moment, and I want the game to eventually succeed and become an enjoyable MMO worthy of the Final Fantasy name. Sure, I may be a glorified beta tester as things stand, but at this point i'd like to do whatever I can to check certain systems/senarios and provide feedback since Yoshida and the team seem to be all ears now.

That and i'm a one MMO guy. The only MMO games i've ever played and really liked are Final Fantasy XI, and to a certain extent Guild Wars (yay cutscenes/story and strong emphasis on music) and Phantasy Star Online. So since the only supposedly story intensive MMO out is XIV, and that needs continuous drastic improvements, i'm sticking with it. Its progressing...just at a rate thats slower than what most would've wanted, and certainly now it's at a point that it should've been day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom