• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
and certainly now it's at a point that it should've been day 1.
Gonna have to disagree on that point. The game still sucks and lacks a bunch of stuff it should have had at launch.

List of just some of the things it should have had at launch but didn't:

Chocobos

Airships

More story quests

More varied leves and other quests

NMs, lots of em

Instanced dungeons and raid type content

mini games

a decent party finding system

more varieties of gear

Until most of that list is checked off, I won't consider this game "launch-ready".

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
Gonna have to disagree on that point. The game still sucks and lacks a bunch of stuff it should have had at launch.

List of just some of the things it should have had at launch but didn't:

Chocobos

Airships

More story quests

More varied leves and other quests

NMs, lots of em

Instanced dungeons and raid type content

mini games

a decent party finding system

more varieties of gear

Until most of that list is checked off, I won't consider this game "launch-ready".

Well I mean at a point where it might have been more forgivable or at least possibly see some sort of day 1 patch. But yeah, I would've liked to see the game launch with everything you listed as well (especially chocobos...they dont really need to do anything different from the outset...thats something they could've worked on later).

By the way, were the Sahagin beastcoins already in game or was this something that was added in the last patch? For that matter, what are Forgekin or Spoken?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
(especially chocobos...they dont really need to do anything different from the outset...thats something they could've worked on later).
I know, right? All I can think of is that they haven't finished the motion capturing animations yet which is why they didn't implement chocobos yet.

Because seriously, the reason they gave for not having chocobos (we got anima, so we don't really need chocobos until they can serve more purposes) is pretty bullshit if you ask me.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
I know, right? All I can think of is that they haven't finished the motion capturing animations yet which is why they didn't implement chocobos yet.

Because seriously, the reason they gave for not having chocobos (we got anima, so we don't really need chocobos until they can serve more purposes) is pretty bullshit if you ask me.

They should have the right motions for them (Ul'dah cutscenes if those are any evidence) so i'm not sure whats up there.

XIV tool stuff i've seen recently -

Arcanist stuff:

ilcUNQ.png

Gunnery skills:

jnthCk.png

The stuff I mentioned earlier:

jlcyPU.png

I guess Forgekin = Garlean mech since I found the image of the skill, Spoken are just beast tribes...so I guess those are already in the game since they only require a rank 30 land or hand disciple.

Also a skill called Herd with the description "Open negotiations".

EDIT: Enemy attacks called Magitek Cannon. Decent amount of weapon skills that arent implemented yet like Inferno Edge, Void Rend, Stroke of Time...

Someone stop me if people found this stuff in before the most recent patch lol.

EDIT: NPCs called dedicated dragoon and some called knights with red and gold breastplate/celata set style armor. Some in similar silver colored armor but with a bit more elaborate arm guards (probably hauberk).

Allard

Teknoman said:
They should have the right motions for them (Ul'dah cutscenes if those are any evidence) so i'm not sure whats up there.

Oh yeah, arcanist stuff:

ilcUNQ.png

Gunnery skills:

jnthCk.png

The stuff I mentioned earlier:

jlcyPU.png

I guess Forgekin = Garlean mech since I found the image of the skill, Spoken are just beast tribes...so I guess those are already in the game since they only require a rank 30 land or hand disciple.

Also a skill called Herd with the description "Open negotiations".

EDIT: Enemy attacks called Magitek Cannon. Decent amount of weapon skills that arent implemented yet like Inferno Edge, Void Rend, Stroke of Time...

Someone stop me if people found this stuff in before the most recent patch lol.

Yes most of that was in from day 1 :p. Just like FFXI they made a ton of stuff for the future that they knew may or may not be used at all. FFXI had animations all the way up to like Firaga 11 or something lol. And yeah Shepard (the herder skill) Discharge for musketeer and the staff move for Arcanist were there even during beta. There are also several fencer moves in their as well like Pierce. Shepard also has guild in Ishgard supposedly or at least that's what one of the NPC's says and in Ul'Dah Merchants ward you can even talk to someone talking about Shepard as well, the class sounds like Beastmaster fused to the gathering discipline line as he talks about defeating beasts through 'talk'.

Magitek Canon is actually already used in game during the final mission.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
I mean like the player motions specific to riding, like mounting, dismounting, etc

Munba

Teknoman said:
Some of those are pretty nice, especially the elemental explosions. I hope those multihit skills come with decent animations.

EDIT: Was that Demi?

Yeah, it seems Demi.

Btw yes, my gladiator needs more animations for sure.. :/

edit: mazurka... bard class please!

Cmagus

I think I am done with this game (for real this time lol). I have almost lost complete interest and it pretty evident that alot of you and others in my other LS have as well.I have been playing less and less lately and even when I do I mostly just stand around doing nothing.I honestly can't bring myself to run the same leves anymore and crafting is the biggest waste of time.

Considering the patch isn't til lat least end of June and personally I don't expect much at all I simply won't hold out that long. Been alot of fun playing with you guys but I've lost interest and it just feels like a waste of time playing this anymore.

Ravidrath

I think that's more likely to be Gravity II or III or something than Demi?

Some nice effects in there - seems like they have the Matsuno/Yoshida team's effects guy, 'cause all of their games' effects have a really distinctive snappiness to them.

Jinko

Cmagus said:
I think I am done with this game (for real this time lol). I have almost lost complete interest and it pretty evident that alot of you and others in my other LS have as well.I have been playing less and less lately and even when I do I mostly just stand around doing nothing.I honestly can't bring myself to run the same leves anymore and crafting is the biggest waste of time.

Considering the patch isn't til lat least end of June and personally I don't expect much at all I simply won't hold out that long. Been alot of fun playing with you guys but I've lost interest and it just feels like a waste of time playing this anymore.

Lets all play LOTRO, its free to play and puts this game to shame.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Cmagus said:

That's completely understandable! It was fun hanging out and hating on you. :D

Keep in touch tough! It would be nice to get together again be it in this game (in a few years when its decent) or another. :)

Cmagus said:

Understandable. What Rank were you at btw? And are you ever coming back (as in they fix alot of issues in the future)?

Cmagus

staticneuron said:
Understandable. What Rank were you at btw? And are you ever coming back (as in they fix alot of issues in the future)?

Hmm final stats

35739_537547c86a2fe6fa.png

As for coming back I probably won't be I exhausted myself on this game. My biggest issue like most is lack of content but at this point even if they add more leves I still won't care. My issue is leves are boring, you fire one up but you always just run around in the same area all the time even if new ones are added they are just boring.

I was holding out till PSO2 comes but yeah I mean this June update would have to be monumental for me to even consider coming back and in reality it won't be you watch they will add alot of cosmetic stuff and that's fine but if interesting content isn't coming with it then it means nothing and come end of June it'll be the same complaining and more people will leave and so on.

Geez Rentai, just give it up already. Squenix has waited too long to improve the game at this point. Most of the remaining ~15-30k players are just waiting for the next game to play before they quit. It's been 8 months of nothing but promises, it's should be obvious at this point the game is finished. Since you've chosen not to respond to my PM I'm assuming you won't be coming to Tera so I guess I'll look forward to playing with you in the Diablo 3 beta if we both get in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Geez Rentai, just give it up already. Squenix has waited too long to improve the game at this point. Most of the remaining ~15-30k players are just waiting for the next game to play before they quit. It's been 8 months of nothing but promises, it's should be obvious at this point the game is finished. Since you've chosen not to respond to my PM I'm assuming you won't be coming to Tera so I guess I'll look forward to playing with you in the Diablo 3 beta if we both get in.
What PM?

*looks*

Oh that PM, lol

Rawk Hawk

Unknown Soldier said:
Guild Wars 2 can't come soon enough, lol.

Jinko

Agree, the majority of people playing this game are only doing so whilst its free.

I truly think that there is just too much wrong with this game to even fix at this point and SE just aren't up to the task at hand anyway.

Rawk Hawk

What are the majority of you guys moving too when it comes out, or have moved too already? If I get another MMO in the future, I wouldn't mind it being something that's popular here.

Munba

I think the fixes are always possible to make the game worth in the next months. They are not only fixing but redoing completely parts of the game.. it's like they are making FF14-2 (and they are taking in account many comments and ideas so far) . So everything is possible at this point imo.

Coldsnap

So what's the best way to take high res screenshots of this game? I started something and need high res shots? Just jack up the settings in config and use fraps?

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
So what's the best way to take high res screenshots of this game? I started something and need high res shots? Just jack up the settings in config and use fraps?

I'd just use the hold ScrLk and press PrtScn method, unless you want to take shots of cutscenes. If thats the case, use fraps.

Jinko

Munba said:
I think the fixes are always possible to make the game worth in the next months. They are not only fixing but redoing completely parts of the game.. it's like they are making FF14-2 (and they are taking in account many comments and ideas so far) . So everything is possible at this point imo.

Yea but even with the new battle system, dungeons and extra content the game is still massively behind the curve.

Just go look at any other MMO out there and their fully functional UI, with easy to use LFP systems, crafting systems which don't punish you or have the same repetitive mini game, stats that actually work, class uniqueness, I mean the list goes on, FFXIV is barebones to the extreme so of course its going to get better but for it to even come close to other MMO's out there it's going to take years and possibly even a move to a more suited game engine. (by the time the game is worth playing WoW's sequel will probably be on the card)

I have only been playing LOTRO for a couple of days and its a breath of fresh air to go back to a user interface that isn't a convoluted mess.

What are the majority of you guys moving too when it comes out

Tera and GW2, I'm playing LOTRO as a stop gap right now though.

Have any of you guys tried Allods before, it might be worth checking out for anyone wanting to try something else.

I suggest we do eeeett .http://allods.gpotato.com/

Edi:- BTW you can build your own astral ship :O

Teknoman

I dunno about a whole new game engine...doesnt seem like anything is wrong with the current engine, just needs certain things to be optimized and im sure most of that stuff is hitting between now and July?

Its not really ideal, but i'd think that once they get the new combat system out, they can start dumping content.

What else could they do to "fix" crafting anyway? I mean, I dont know any game where crafting is involved yet somewhat fun at the same time. The best they could do is just make the animations faster/less animations for completion.

Cmagus

crafting is broken because of the recipes the whole system is out place. It's boring grinding the same item over and over to level it, it is for more interesting making clothing and weapons.The problem with this is for say a rank 15 weapon you need to have certain items that may need you to be like rsnk 20 of another class and rsnk 25 of another to make those items and honestly by time you are able to achieve that the rank 15 item is no longer useful.
The idea that people are supposed to work together doesn't work.Granted we have a close group here but I have been apart of many LS that don't work like Red Dot does.

The thing that hurts this is the lack of community I mean it has destroyed the market wards.It is incredibly hard to find most items in there because they either don't exist or they are marked up so much it is ridiculous the whole system is busted.

Jinko

Tek, Crystal tools doesn't allow for real time streaming, that is why they have the problem with copy paste landscapes.

Probably why they had such a problem porting it to a system with small memory footprint. (PS3)

There is a good reason why almost every new MMO out there is using UE3 or Cryengine 2/3.

But you are partly right a lot of the issues with the game are due to terrible decisions and even worse programming and to be honest I don't see those changing much, SE just don't know what they are doing.

As for crafting, well they should have never tried to fob it off as a class, they should have kept it simple and fast.

I've been crafting in LOTRO and its so much more fun than anything FFXIV has to offer, when you master a Tier in crafting you can use HQ items to get a 50% chance to add it to armour to get a rare version.

You have to master one tier before you are allowed to master the next so it requires a little bit of grind but its nowhere near what FFXIV forces you to endure and more importantly you actually feel like you are making progress.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
It's just not salvageable at this point. I came back a couple times after quitting last year and couldn't believe the complete lack of progress made in the time I was gone. PS3 is not going to pull in many subscribers, and only a few for more than a month. After the recent financial loss they need to just scrap it cuz they can barely give it away. A shame, because I had high hopes after FF XI.

Teknoman

Well after the recent financial news, im still keeping my wait and see approach for the new battle system among other things. I know they are supposed to be making crafting adjustments too (or at least I remember reading that) as well as the art shown for the Dark Knight and Black Mage stuff.

Its still very possible to salvage the game at this point, and it probably all hangs on how the new battle system operates, and whether or not they can dump a decent amount of adjustments, enhancements, and content in general after or with said update.

I agree that they should've never made crafting a class, unless they were actually going to add attacks and buffs like they were supposed to.

Not sure whats up with the UI, since i've seen them posting about making UI mods available, adjusting both for keyboard/mouse + Gamepad, etc.

EDIT: Playing Guild Wars 2 regardless.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Jinko said:
Tek, Crystal tools doesn't allow for real time streaming, that is why they have the problem with copy paste landscapes.

Probably why they had such a problem porting it to a system with small memory footprint. (PS3)

There is a good reason why almost every new MMO out there is using UE3 or Cryengine 2/3.

But you are partly right a lot of the issues with the game are due to terrible decisions and even worse programming and to be honest I don't see those changing much, SE just don't know what they are doing.

As for crafting, well they should have never tried to fob it off as a class, they should have kept it simple and fast.

I've been crafting in LOTRO and its so much more fun than anything FFXIV has to offer, when you master a Tier in crafting you can use HQ items to get a 50% chance to add it to armour to get a rare version.

You have to master one tier before you are allowed to master the next so it requires a little bit of grind but its nowhere near what FFXIV forces you to endure and more importantly you actually feel like you are making progress.

RETIRED

Allard

xelios said:
It's just not salvageable at this point. I came back a couple times after quitting last year and couldn't believe the complete lack of progress made in the time I was gone. PS3 is not going to pull in many subscribers, and only a few for more than a month. After the recent financial loss they need to just scrap it cuz they can barely give it away. A shame, because I had high hopes after FF XI.

You mean their hasn't been much 'huge' changes for this game after an internal development shake up? We probably lost 3+ months of development time that would have been devoted to adding more content and systems thanks to that shake up (although it was necessary as the core game was incredibly flawed). I didn't expect anything of remotely substantial quality for changes to hit till May (and with the earthquake/tsunami situation, I'm guessing that set them back farther then they care to admit), and I also had no intentions of believing this game was going to be ready for the overall masses till whenever they feel like doing a PS3 release in which case I don't see it happening till the end of the year or later.

The game is free right now, as long as it is free people can jump in and out at their leisure without having too much buyers remorse. The game is perfectly salvageable, don't underestimate what a good return to a game campaign can do especially if they time it with a new platform release on a platform that doesn't really have ANY MMORPG competition. For now the current people playing just have to understand this is basically a beta test, and it will stay a beta test till they feel like asking us to pay again. In the mean time I am playing a ton of other MMORPGs and single player games. But ultimately I will never call those games home as none of my friends are going with me. I'll play other games and come back periodically when something is new and hopefully one patch will catch me for a longer period of time. In the meantime the worst thing you can do is get burned out on a game you don't like. I'm taking a break right now till the combat overhaul hits and just keeping tabs with development going forward.

kiryogi

Banned
Still have no idea what Id log on again, but like I mentioned in the beginning. XIV was something to tide me over until PSO2. And now that's starting to finally gain some momentum. . . Still won't forget the good times I had until I fell behind everyone though.

Jinko

Sorry you can't call this a beta test, not when people have paid for the game, hell I still don't think I've had my moneys worth and I been playing it free for 3-4 months in total.

Problem they have now is that its F2P and the longer they leave it that way the longer they will get the image of a free to play MMO, before long people will have grown so accustomed to it that they won't want to pay for it or think its worth it.

At the rate SE are losing money they may even turn around and cancel the PS3 version, guess we will have to see how much difference the battle system and dungeons make to the game. (I'm guessing not much)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Allard said:
You mean their hasn't been much 'huge' changes for this game after an internal development shake up? We probably lost 3+ months of development time that would have been devoted to adding more content and systems thanks to that shake up (although it was necessary as the core game was incredibly flawed). I didn't expect anything of remotely substantial quality for changes to hit till May (and with the earthquake/tsunami situation, I'm guessing that set them back farther then they care to admit), and I also had no intentions of believing this game was going to be ready for the overall masses till whenever they feel like doing a PS3 release in which case I don't see it happening till the end of the year or later.

Reasons why or excuses don't matter, it's been too many months. It's just too late. From a financial standpoint, by continuing to support this mess they're adding to their losses instead of cutting them. You can't continue to do that after losing $150 million if you have self-preservation in mind at all.

This game will never recover the losses, and will only reach a monthly equilibrium with actual paying subscribers and a skeleton crew working on it.

Allard

xelios said:
Reasons why or excuses don't matter, it's been too many months. It's just too late. From a financial standpoint, by continuing to support this mess they're adding to their losses instead of cutting them. You can't continue to do that after losing $150 million if you have self-preservation in mind at all.

This game will never recover the losses, and will only reach a monthly equilibrium with actual paying subscribers and a skeleton crew working on it.

MMORPGs are about long term profitability. PS3 release, the upcoming Chinese release (there was a new interview with Yoshida recently on this) and good welcome back campaign can bring the user base at minimum back to 300k+ and that's all they need to make it profitable for the long term. The key is sustaining that 300k+ and to do that you need a game in stable and fun condition. To do this they are taking their time and reevaluating all the systems in game to make the game better for the long term. The current player base is not even in the calculation anymore, they want to keep what subscribers they can, but they don't need nor care to do it right now so long as they keep it free to play.

Its about getting the game in stable condition for a figurative re-release. FFXI was THE most profitable venture the company has ever had and at its peak it had maybe 600k+ active subscribers, even at the paltry 300-400k it might be at right now, its still hilariously profitable for SE. They are not going to scrap it till they at least try to relaunch it. Cutting their loses without even trying to make it profitable is the worst kind of short sightedness you can have when developing an MMORPG, you have any idea how much money they probably put in just getting the game to this point? They would sooner bleed out the current user base with monthly fees then just flat out giving it up. The fact that its still free to play shows they have no intention of giving up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom