• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Allard said:
The key is sustaining that 300k+ and to do that you need a game in stable and fun condition.

That's the problem and it hasn't been coming along (even to a huge Final Fantasy/Square-Enix fanboy like me).

We will have to agree to disagree on the rest of your points, because I think you're being incredibly optimistic. This game will never sustain 300k subs. Hell, it will never attain 300k paying subs. It will never be profitable in the long term. Almost a year of giving the game away is not a bad start, it's the beginning of the end. With a $150 million loss on the horizon I don't think they can afford to bank on a chance of a (very) long term recovery, that's all. If they stick it out and do a PS3 re-launch so to speak, they will have a second failure and fall even more into the red.

Don't wanna derail the thread but as someone who bought it on launch and has been checking up, I thought I'd give my opinion. I'll be sure to show back up to say, "I was wrong," or, "Told you so," when the next big thing happens. I'll even take some awful tag for the team if I'm wrong!

Teknoman

I dont think its really derailing. If they manage to implement a different battle system thats enjoyable to players and the content really starts rolling in, turning the game around and enabling them to pick up more and more subs every month, then that'll be great.

If not, then it'll most likely die and we'll get some giant apology again. Both are possible at this point.

Either way, it really has been coming along since its sort of like having a busted car, mistreated by one set of mechanics, dropped onto you all of a sudden and everyone wants your mechanic shop to fix it. You have to get some groundwork done before you can really get down to business.

It was a bad situation all around, and I still think it sucks that we'll have to wait till June to see whats up...but theres still the possibility of a large developer post or set of posts on the forums, and of course a split into a 1.17b so we can catch a small glimpse.

EDIT: More peformance stuff -

Got word back from Yoshida about the changes that they're planning to implement. Like I assumed, there aren't concrete details on what precisely is being done that I can share, but he said that along with the PS3 version development, they are performing optimization work to overall the core engine to make improvements.

We all have Steam, right? I think that would be the best way for us to stay in touch, especially the ones who aren't Gaffers. I'm thinking of Maki Star, Shi, and Aenarion Estelvir specifically here. We can all add each other to our Steam friends lists.

Steam is really cool since its overlay works in all games, whether the game itself uses Steam as it's platform or not. You can leave Steam running all the time too like an IM client.

Munba

A music question. The track Aetherial Slumber, in the buyable Field Track OST, is in the game and if yes, where?

Unknown Soldier said:
We all have Steam, right? I think that would be the best way for us to stay in touch, especially the ones who aren't Gaffers. I'm thinking of Maki Star, Shi, and Aenarion Estelvir specifically here. We can all add each other to our Steam friends lists.

Steam is really cool since its overlay works in all games, whether the game itself uses Steam as it's platform or not. You can leave Steam running all the time too like an IM client.

I am staticneuron on steam as well.

My thing about this, is that I understand people wanting to leave. The idea that the game is "finished" or never can be fixed is just way to far out there. If SE is allowing the game to be run for 7 months free of charge then the dev team certainly has alot of say in what is going down.

Chances are it cost them less to run the servers, than it is to develop the game. Using FFXI as a reference they see how much money could be gained if they can successfully turn it around.

I admit the crafting is off, but people have told them about it numerous time already, I don't think they are ignoring us but are preparing new content (and art) and most likey are going to make sweeping changes to gameplay. Patience is all that is needed. If you aren't patient leave but there is no basis in saying the game will "never" get better.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Saw this for 14.99 at Gamestop.

Tempted to give it a shot since it's "please buy me, I'll do anything, for god's sake..help me!" cheap with F2P desperation.

I missed out on FFXI despite going batshit crazy hyped for it pre-release, might aswell try this even if it has no chance in hell of tearing me away from WOW for more than a week or two.

Teknoman

Munba said:
A music question. The track Aetherial Slumber, in the buyable Field Track OST, is in the game and if yes, where?

And here i've still got the beta ripped soundtrack...guess I need to go ahead and rename em.

Cant say how much Beneath bloodied banners reminds me of classic standard battle theme. Nail of the heavens is cool too...actually all of the battle themes thus far are....except for maybe The forest's pulse. Sounds like that would be better for some sort of cameo battle or Cactuar/rogue moogle boss fight.

Quicksand should've definitely been reserved for a boss battle theme.

hitsugi

Dr. Chaos said:
Saw this for 14.99 at Gamestop.

Tempted to give it a shot since it's "please buy me, I'll do anything, for god's sake..help me!" cheap with F2P desperation.

I missed out on FFXI despite going batshit crazy hyped for it pre-release, might aswell try this even if it has no chance in hell of tearing me away from WOW for more than a week or two.
This game is, somehow, below even FFXI's par..... at least for a lot of people.

How did that happen? Who knows.

Riposte

FFXIV: General MMO Discussion OT. derp

EDIT: The LE is mainly for getting two accounts. So it is cheaper if you can split it with someone and don't care about the stuff it comes with.

Teknoman

hitsugi said:
This game is, somehow, below even FFXI's par..... at least for a lot of people.

How did that happen? Who knows.

General mismanagement. The earnings report was a big ass wakeup call for S-E looking at what they've posted with the charts so far (tightening selection and reallocating funds).

Yoshi's team seems like they've got a concrete plan...so far. I'm sure they'll turn it around, unless the new combat system is completely busted...which it shouldn't be after seeing what went wrong with the previous team members in charge. Get that combat system implemented and start rolling in the content.

Ravidrath

How useful are the Garlond Goggles that came with the RE?

I have the LE, but would actually consider the RE for the Goggles to help with a reroll on a new server after the new battle system goes in.

Ravidrath said:
How useful are the Garlond Goggles that came with the RE?

I have the LE, but would actually consider the RE for the Goggles to help with a reroll on a new server after the new battle system goes in.

The Onion Helm, the Asuran Armguards, and the Garlond Goggles are all stupid because they stop working when you reach rank 12 and right now you go from ranks 1-12 in roughly 20 minutes of play.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
The Onion Helm, the Asuran Armguards, and the Garlond Goggles are all stupid because they stop working when you reach rank 12 and right now you go from ranks 1-12 in roughly 20 minutes of play.
This.

The only special item worth having is the Hermes Shoes.

Teknoman said:
General mismanagement. The earnings report was a big ass wakeup call for S-E looking at what they've posted with the charts so far (tightening selection and reallocating funds).

Yoshi's team seems like they've got a concrete plan...so far. I'm sure they'll turn it around, unless the new combat system is completely busted...which it shouldn't be after seeing what went wrong with the previous team members in charge. Get that combat system implemented and start rolling in the content.

To be more specific, it seems as if XIV was understaffed for such a large project and/or released too early.

Jinko

So I been playing Allods and just got a trinket which reminded me of renta. :O

hamstero.jpg

DarkKyo

So... I'm pretty interested in trying this before I buy it. Is there any chance someone has a guest pass they'd be willing to let me use? It would be super appreciated :)

Teknoman

Dechaios said:
So... I'm pretty interested in trying this before I buy it. Is there any chance someone has a guest pass they'd be willing to let me use? It would be super appreciated :)

I might still have one...i'll check and see. Possible that it might have been used since I cant remember what I did with it.

DarkKyo

Teknoman said:
I might still have one...i'll check and see. Possible that it might have been used since I cant remember what I did with it.
Oh man if you had one I'd be pretty pumped. Thanks for checking! I'll be around next couple of days if you find it...

Unknown Soldier said:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/starsofdestiny
Pop into the chatroom and idle for an invite as always.

Shame to see things are so dire with 14 :/ I haven't even logged on in months (I'm waiting for the big combat revisions before I bother with it again).

There is a new FFXI collection coming out this week with all the expansions to date and a sweet hat for leveling up sub 30, so for those of you looking for something to do, XI has a ton of it, and the original SoD is still alive and kickin.

pancakesandsex said:
Shame to see things are so dire with 14 :/ I haven't even logged on in months (I'm waiting for the big combat revisions before I bother with it again).

They're bringing back auto-attack. I don't know what Squenix hopes to accomplish by going backwards in time but at this point it no longer makes any difference to me one way or the other.

There is a new FFXI collection coming out this week with all the expansions to date and a sweet hat for leveling up sub 30, so for those of you looking for something to do, XI has a ton of it, and the original SoD is still alive and kickin.

I hope you guys are having a lot of fun in FFXI, judging from the XI thread it looks like you are. If you ever get bored of that old game, let me tell you something useful. TERA IS REALLY FUCKING GODDAMNED AWESOME. That is all.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
TERA IS REALLY FUCKING GODDAMNED AWESOME. That is all.

Also its not out in the EU/NA yet so its all moot, no way am I willing to put time and effort into a character on a Korean server only to have to start again in a couple of month.

I don't think auto attack is particularly backwards, many MMO's have auto attack, sure Tera's battle system is awesome and all but there are other ways to do things, of course I doubt this "new" battle system in FFXIV is going to be much good and it won't be be because of the auto attack :p

Unknown Soldier said:
They're bringing back auto-attack. I don't know what Squenix hopes to accomplish by going backwards in time but at this point it no longer makes any difference to me one way or the other.

I hope you guys are having a lot of fun in FFXI, judging from the XI thread it looks like you are. If you ever get bored of that old game, let me tell you something useful. TERA IS REALLY FUCKING GODDAMNED AWESOME. That is all.

Auto attack rules, it gives you time to concentrate on other things that are not spamming your normal attack button. Like reading the chatlog and timing your non spammable commands.

And I will be playing that old game until it's shut down.

Yea, I would rather wait till tera hits stateside or GW2 comes out stateside before breaking off. I am going to take a little break anyways to beat the witcher part 1 and part 2, also to finish LA noir. I relegate FFXIV to empty timeslots and weekends.

Jinko said:
Also its not out in the EU/NA yet so its all moot, no way am I willing to put time and effort into a character on a Korean server only to have to start again in a couple of month.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For me, playing MMOGs is about playing with people. It's about the fun I have and experiences I have doing things with people. As such character progression only matters to me up to a certain point. I had a FFXIV character with 2 battle jobs at rank 50 and a crafting job at rank 30, but in the end when it was time to leave I walked away. I never begrudge the time I spend in MMOGs because I didn't do it to watch a bar go up or numbers get bigger, I did it to play with people who I came to call friends. In the end I'll probably walk away from a K-Tera character at the level cap but it won't matter, because I'll be doing it all again in NA/EU with a bunch of really cool people I played with in Korea.

pancakesandsex said:
Auto attack rules, it gives you time to concentrate on other things that are not spamming your normal attack button. Like reading the chatlog and timing your non spammable commands.

Here's what endgame combat looks like in Tera:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27679841&postcount=927

There's no spamming of normal attacks in this game. There's no reading of chatlog in this game, because you're actually busy PLAYING the game. Games like Tera (and Blade & Soul) are revolutionary in the MMOG genre simply because they demand your full attention and concentration on actually playing the game. Most big damage skills in this game require charging, just as you see here, so you aren't spamming skills. You have to position yourself properly and time attacks so you land yours but aren't there when the mobs land theirs, since in game all attacks land 100% unless you or the mob aren't there when it goes off. I'm not aware of many other MMOGs except Guild Wars where you actually can determine if the attack lands or not, by dodging, evading, or blocking. There is no RNG in this game, if you're there when the big boss mob is finished charging it's huge attack, you're dead. If you're not, you're alive. Your attacks work the same way, since there is no auto-lockon you actually point your crosshair at what you want to kill and you need to have it trained on the mob when your attack goes off or you whiff and look silly.

I've heard people say bosses, elites, and instances in this game are a lot like Monster Hunter, a game I've never played. But this is a game where you don't stand in one place, you don't watch yourself auto-attack, and you damn well don't play it on autopilot. This game requires an enormous amount of actual skill in addition to practical knowledge, which makes it quite unusual as MMOGs go. Most MMOGs, once you know what you have to do, you just go in there and do it while vaguely paying attention to the game while you also watch TV. That won't get you far in Tera. It is, as I've said before, more like God of War than EverQuest, or FFXI for that matter.

And I will be playing that old game until it's shut down.

You're really going to play FFXI for possibly forever? Original EQ, AC, and UO are all still operating today, and I don't see why FFXI won't continue operating indefinitely as long as there are even a few hundreds to thousands of players. Squenix will probably never shut down FFXI. So you're going to play it forever, until the end of your natural life?

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. For me, playing MMOGs is about playing with people. It's about the fun I have and experiences I have doing things with people. As such character progression only matters to me up to a certain point. I had a FFXIV character with 2 battle jobs at rank 50 and a crafting job at rank 30, but in the end when it was time to leave I walked away. I never begrudge the time I spend in MMOGs because I didn't do it to watch a bar go up or numbers get bigger, I did it to play with people who I came to call friends. In the end I'll probably walk away from a K-Tera character at the level cap but it won't matter, because I'll be doing it all again in NA/EU with a bunch of really cool people I played with in Korea.

Yea but you walked away from 14 because the game was a steaming turd so its kind of different, I walked away from WoW with 7 lvl 80's and 1 85 and don't begrudge that either and yea your right its about the fun and interaction of playing with others but even so.

What you are doing in K-tera is like investing a lot of time into a beta only to have your character wiped, each to their own though.

Just out of curiosity how much time did you spend playing WoW, it has auto attack and the fights are just as interesting and interactive if not more so than the videos you posted.

Eccocid

Just got the game! Installing t right now to my macbook pro 2011 on bootcamp.. I did bechmark today and oh result was awful i scored around 1200 points even tho it played demo in high re mode quite smooth..it cant be right can it? Such low score due to bootcamp?

Anyway i used to play FFXI a lot i know this game si quite different but i am in the mood for a new mmrpg. So Gaf server is Lindblum right? Oh and i wonder how long will it take to install and patch this game :( I remember FFXI patching used to take a lot of time...

Eccocid

Coldsnap said:
^Took friend like 6 minutes to patch.

Contact me (King Lala) on our server if you want a pearl.

Downloaded all patches now its checking data!
I will try to contact you as soon as i get in to game!

Eccocid

IS this a joke? ....
I was happy for a monent when SE got rid of playonline but they have mroe absurd service with mroe absurd payment method right now.
That stupid click&buy service doesnt register with my home address and it says it is wrong.
Keeps giving me unknow address msg when i try to fill the form.
Do i have to add an extra service to play the damn game tonight?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think you can just try to buy the minimal amount of Crysta or something. I didn't want to bother with Click and Buy.

I'm not sure if there's a way to activate yourself without at least spending something. I made my char from the very beginning when I didn't know the game was still gonna be free to play.

Eccocid

But the account management forces me to create a clickandbuy account before i can buy anything. I need to add an option to get a character slot but i cant :(

Eccocid

Rentahamster said:
Really? I kinda remember not having to do anything related to click and buy.
Hmm...cant it be country specific?

I registered my FF XIV account with the code came out from the box. When i try to play game it tells me to get a character slot and forces me to do payment form clickandbuy..This really sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom