• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

So ridiculous, this game is so much more polished than 14 and its still in beta.

When you change class not only do you have separate gear sets (cloth/light/heavy), but your action bars change as well. (doink)

You can unlock new classes by leveling up the current ones for example you can become a Knight at Warrior level 20 (start at level 1 again) and can then becomes Templar when you becomes Knight 55 and Cleric 55.

Funny how this is what some people expected the job system to be like in 14 and another MMO is doing it instead. (job system is as close to FFT as I have seen in an MMO)

This MMO is just some generic anime inspired F2P thing but its just retarded how much more competent the developers are.

Oh yea there is a dye shop where you can customise the look of your character :p, the armor you equip doesn't really show up like you would normally expect, weapons, shields and head pieces all have individual styles and appear though but the main armour is generic but as you level you can unlock new costumes and then change the colour to suit your style, each class has between 6-10 different costumes.

Oh yea you get a cute little pug dog that pics up your loot and treasure for you and just generally looks awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/rgX6t.jpg

Riposte

I don't really finding it surprising the big company would fuck up. Making a MMO on that scale with that many people must be a nightmare (to manage and keep the focus) and just about every MMO release shows that to some degree. SE's history of inefficient development certainly didn't help.

Hah, I already have an Aeria Games account since I signed up to play Shin Megami Tensei Online. I should check out Eden Eternal since it has KAWAIIIIIII :3

Still hanging around, still wanting a game that can give me what ffxi did all those years ago. No such game currently exists. Let me know when it happens!

I got my email invite for the 'closed' beta of Eden Eternal. By 'closed' I assume Aeria Games means that you have to sign up for an account and play at least 1 other game for at least 1 days before they send the email. LOL.

KAWAII HERE I COME :3

edit: Wow, this whole game is cel-shaded. If you've played enough of Wind Waker you know what's up. It really does look like an anime come to life!

Eden Eternal:

Well, the good news is this game is F2P. It doesn't seem to do anything unique or particularly interesting, though the cel-shaded graphics are pretty. It uses auto-attack as the base combat system, so you will be doing the usual weaving of skills between attacks, or you can just spam all your skills in sequence if you don't feel like waiting on trash mobs. It does follow the same job system seen in FFXI, you have up to 15 classes you can unlock through either leveling up or completing quests. Jobs level up separately from character physical level, same as in FFXIV. At the beginning of the game you start as Warrior or Mage and from there you unlock classes. At level 5 Warrrior, I unlocked Cleric for example. The game is of course quest-based, as all open world MMOGs are this day and age (except FFXIV!). Everybody is chibi-sized, like old-school JPRGs, and their designs are pretty conventionally anime. If you've played any game from NIS, Gust, etc. you have the general idea of character designs.

So far I haven't seen anything special about this game, but the price is right, the graphics are pretty, and you can have twintails. The game client is only 1.73GB to download and it looks like the beta just started, because there a shit-ton of people playing in the starter area right now. Join me and Jinko if you want to kill a few hours together.

Jinko

Just come across a lvl 20 magician called Kawaii and thought it was you, but I guess not lol.

I agree with what you said above besides the job system is significantly different to FF11.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
So I should have my hands on this game tomorrow, bought in a 3 for £10 deal. Is there a GAF guild to join up with? I could use the help I reckon.

Eccocid

Thnikkaman said:
So I should have my hands on this game tomorrow, bought in a 3 for £10 deal. Is there a GAF guild to join up with? I could use the help I reckon.

Pick Lindblum server and choose Uldhan as starting city. There is a Gaf linkshell(aka guild) but its members are scattered over other Linkshells too. They will guide you with more active linkshells.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Yeah somebody else has my name, actually several of the names I like are taken. >_>
For a game like that, it's not surprising, lol!

Time to go the old, XxxSephirothxxX route, huh? :)

Eccocid

Rentahamster said:

That reminds me 2 names i used to see in FFXI;
Regoras and
Koreanbusdriver LOL

Rentahamster said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Lelouch but I haven't tried to use that name in Eden Eternal yet. :3

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Munba said:

The devs are certainly concerned that the shadows sucks; it's not due to any particular malfunction, and it'll take a while to fully repair, but they're working on it.

Yoshi P thought the lantern idea was cool. They are experimenting with implementing lighting into the gameplay for times like at night or in the dungeon when it's too dark to see and aim to implement that in with all the other graphics fixes/upgrades.

Thnikkaman said:
Game is installing now. You chaps are all on the Lindblum server, then?

Ed: Best patcher ever. Dat muzak!

Awww, so cuuute!

Yeah, we're (what's left of us, lol) are on Lindblum.

Munba

Rentahamster said:
Yoshi P thought the lantern idea was cool. They are experimenting with implementing lighting into the gameplay for times like at night or in the dungeon when it's too dark to see and aim to implement that in with all the other graphics fixes/upgrades.

This is awesome. Thx :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Munba said:
This is awesome. Thx :)
No problem. Let me emphasize, though, the word "experimenting". It's nothing definite, just yet. It's still in the testing phases. If it works, it works. If it don't work, you won't see it.

Munba

I see. Btw i can see that could be nice in some particular dungeons studied to use that kind of gameplay to procede or to illuminate hidden corners (with chests). And it would add more immersion.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Munba said:
I see. Btw i can see that could be nice in some particular dungeons studied to use that kind of gameplay to procede or to illuminate hidden corners (with chests). And it would add more immersion.
Perhaps. It's an interesting concept, but sometimes interesting concepts don't quite work out in practice, given the game it is implemented in. I have a feeling that it will have to be a superficial thing for the most part, just to show off cool lighting effects.

In games like Resident Evil 5, the dark cave areas where you had to use a lantern added to the tension, for sure. Given the interface of FF14, can a gameplay element using dynamic lighting be used appropriately as well? I would imagine the impact of hidden things is lessened, given that you can just tab through and target all surrounding objects, anyway.

Eccocid

Rentahamster said:
Perhaps. It's an interesting concept, but sometimes interesting concepts don't quite work out in practice, given the game it is implemented in. I have a feeling that it will have to be a superficial thing for the most part, just to show off cool lighting effects.

In games like Resident Evil 5, the dark cave areas where you had to use a lantern added to the tension, for sure. Given the interface of FF14, can a gameplay element using dynamic lighting be used appropriately as well? I would imagine the impact of hidden things is lessened, given that you can just tab through and target all surrounding objects, anyway.

A lighting metod like in Demon's Souls would be nice. The character always had a source of light on his body. So you always illuminated your surrounding. Could work as some sort of spell. Can be galled Shine or Glow lol !

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Gromph said:
No, use Cryta payment method.
But do we need to pay for Crysta if we get 30 days straight out of the box?

In other news my copy apparently arrived with the garlond goggles included. B)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Thnikkaman said:
But do we need to pay for Crysta if we get 30 days straight out of the box?

No, you don't need to add Crysta. :)

Songbird

Prodigal Son
It would be awesome if this thing told me how big each file is rather than just a vague progress bar.

Rentahamster said:
If the official patcher doesn't work right, you can always use a separate bittorrent app.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/20414-torrent-patching-guide/
I'll have to do that from now on, thanks! I'm almost done now, but there haven't seemed to be many other people downloading with me. I enjoyed 500kb+ for about an hour.

Cool, enough of me clogging up the thread.

Brandson

I stupidly bought some Crysta upon release. Since I don't see myself returning to FFXIV, is there any way to get a refund or at the very least apply the Crysta to some other Square-Enix products?

Salaadin

Brandson said:
I stupidly bought some Crysta upon release. Since I don't see myself returning to FFXIV, is there any way to get a refund or at the very least apply the Crysta to some other Square-Enix products?

A friend of mine emailed them and asked for a refund and they said that they dont refund crysta. I dont know if anything has changed since then...this was back in January.

For awhile Squenix was letting people turn their Crysta into donations for earthquake relief. I don't know if you can still do that. I released all of my worthless Crysta that way.

Rawk Hawk

Posted on the LS site, but not sure who ever looks at that these days, but just letting everyone know I've moved in and got internet set up. Should be poking my head online everyone once in a while now.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Created my Lalafell pugilist today, named him Biff Rockfist (this must always be typed or spoken in italics). Probably not my focus, I just had to create Biff when I saw the goatee and heard the manly-voice.

Ed: Noob question here, how do I put away my weapon to heal faster?
Ed2: Figured it out. Active/passive stuff.

Jinko

Thnikkaman said:
Um, so it gave me a levequest and it aborted it all of a sudden when I was travelling to it? Whatever.

If you run out of the zone the leve is located in it will abort it. /shrugs
Rentahamster said:

Totally agree with this, almost every current gen MMO has these features now, you can easily see where the PS3 is limiting this game.

Riposte

so the reason I couldn't sign in the site was because my account almost got hacked or something lol. Fixed now.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. FUCK. The session timed out loops continues on.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Jinko said:
If you run out of the zone the leve is located in it will abort it. /shrugs
I didn't even leave the zone. It was in the woods just out of Gridania and it told me to take down three funguses on a higher level of the zone. There was only one slope up there that was nearby and it canceled the quest, so if the game can't give me ones I can logically complete then it's already stupidly broken.

Rentahamster said:
If you're just going to lol why am I wasting my time posting in this thread or wanting to join you lot?

Eccocid

animlboogy said:
Is there any chance some updates will eventually get this damn game to run better? I want to give it a chance with the update, it just stutters so much that it's hard to muster up the urge to play it.

I found a nice setting for myself to run it smoothly now. I usually play windowed tho.
But problem is..my macbook pro gets super hot when playing FF XIV. I am scared that it is gonna melt it :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Thnikkaman said:
If you're just going to lol why am I wasting my time posting in this thread or wanting to join you lot?
Whoa, whoa, calm down now, it was a "i sympathize with your position" lol, not a "i'm laughing at you" lol.

We've all experienced what you've gone through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom