• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppard

I am an old beta player from FFXI and I played this game at the start of its lifespan and we all know how that went. Is there a website or something that can catch me up on the improvements on this game and if it is worth while?

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
True, but since it was paired with this:

And the new team is on the whole FF feel kick along with job specific (and most likely class specific) equipment, im leaning closer to it being for a job.

That one actually says "Black Mage," but it seems possible that they were making a generic "evil" character and they were repurposed into DRK.

How the hell do you even get a DRK out of this job system, though? Maybe they'll release "advanced jobs" later that require specific ranks in multiple jobs?

That would kind of be taking an FFT route... the classes are just different flavors of Squires/Chemists, which unlock the base jobs. And then multiple jobs can unlock advanced jobs?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
So I been playing Allods and just got a trinket which reminded me of renta. :O

hamstero.jpg
lmao, I just noticed this.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
Who is still actively playing this now? Just Rat and Rentai?

Depends on what you mean by active :p

EDIT: Hope Yoshi-P's team releases the videos they were talking about fairly early before the 1.18 patch...and they stay true to adding substantial content after the battle system is implemented and on a rapid basis. Still optimistic that everything will turn out ok after this...but 1.18 really is their last chance to get the game in shape i'd say.

New battle system, jobs, rehauling all stats, enemies drops, stats, difficulty, equipment, etc., frontier hubs, and a minimum of 2 raid dungeons (even though there are 3 blocks in that "article" on lodestone) plus whatever else they havent mentioned, sounds promising...but its also the last thread XIV is hanging by for the majority of people still around, or those still watching its progress.

Shouta

Rentahamster said:
Is that the only difference? Speed?

No. While all MMOs deal with the same core elements for gameplay, most focus on different elements on certain elements of it. FFXI's combat deals a lot with rhythm and flow control. WoW is more like an action game and the combat's primary focus is on positioning and target management, IMO.

FFXI's gotten faster over the years though because of Haste. So the pacing of the battles has gone up.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Unknown Soldier said:

I play by daily basics. :)

But atm i only do Field leves, and local ones, no point to level another battle class to 50 with the combat revamp patch near.

Teknoman

Emenis said:
I don't think anyone actively plays this anymore.

I know i'm not, just so I dont get burned out in case things are set straight with 1.18 and speed up progress from there. Little Maraudering here and there, but im leaving my stuff at rank 30 until 1.18.

EDIT: I was thinking...if the job system does work the way that the translated blog posts from JP players describe it, then its not that bad as far as levels go. All rank 50 players get to jump straight into job experiementing (if the class they have at 50 unlocks the job they want) yet they'll still need to do quests and fight to gain skills and job equipment. Everyone else will still have to level up.

And even after that, once the level cap is up, everyone will still have to rank up, so it really doesnt seem like the job matching class rank for now would be a bad thing....especially if you can rank up your job separately afterwards.

Riposte

I'll log on once I am done with playthroughs of certain games. I am not the kind of guy who treats MMOs any differently from normal games and play them constantly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Well, if by "actively" you mean casually camping NMs and making dick jokes in LS chat during the downtime, then yes, I'm quite active.

Shouta said:
No. While all MMOs deal with the same core elements for gameplay, most focus on different elements on certain elements of it. FFXI's combat deals a lot with rhythm and flow control. WoW is more like an action game and the combat's primary focus is on positioning and target management, IMO.

FFXI's gotten faster over the years though because of Haste. So the pacing of the battles has gone up.
Ahh, I see. I've only played FF11 not Wow, so I wasn't sure how they compared. Positioning in FF11 didn't really matter, yeah...I recall just pulling, tanking, timing skill chains, and what not. Good times.

I'd like to see all those aspects emphasized in FF14 - rhythm, flow, positioning, target management, resource management, timing, cooperation...there's just so many avenues for strategy to emerge in the gameplay and it's sad that the game's potential is so handicapped by the SE devs.

Eccocid

I play daily basis too. Sometimes for few hours, sometimes just for one or two battle leves.

I do enjoy the combat in this game. I love it! My only problem is lack of distinction between classes and being able to use all the skills from other classes. It doesnt make game more flexible imo. IT just makes your character less specific. I dont feel like a pulgrist cuz half of the skills in my action bar are from Archer lol. I dont even bother changing armor when i switch jobs.

Riposte said:
I'll log on once I am done with playthroughs of certain games. I am not the kind of guy who treats MMOs any differently from normal games and play them constantly.

Same here, I have been trying to get through the witchers and LA noire before I hop back in. I just didn't expect the original witcher to be so long.

Riposte

Rentahamster said:
I'd like to see all those aspects emphasized in FF14 - rhythm, flow, positioning, target management, resource management, timing, cooperation...there's just so many avenues for strategy to emerge in the gameplay and it's sad that the game's potential is so handicapped by the SE devs.

I'd prefer a relatively slow combat system where speed of movement and attack are not important. What I foresee for FFXIV is something strongly focused on positioning, formations(matching up weapon ranges based on large enemy patterns), and the usual key aspects you've already mentioned. I also want AI which perfectly complements this system. I have to imagine it will be too hard to implement. I fear that the devs are aiming to make a fast paced system instead.

XenoRaven

Unknown Soldier said:
I just started because it was $15 at Gamestop and it's free to play.

I really don't know what the hell they were thinking. 2 hours of pointless cutscenes and I've killed a total of like 5 monsters. I keep masting 1 to attack instead of just auto attacking and using skills when necessary. It seems like nearly every aspect of this game is a disaster. The graphics are one saving grace, but I can't enjoy them because even with my 2600K and two 570's I can't max it for some magical reason.

I haven't had a chance to look at the improvements yet, but it doesn't seem like they're addressing the fact that the job system is about 1000x less fun than FFXI.

Riposte

XenoRaven said:

I really don't know what the hell they were thinking. 2 hours of pointless cutscenes and I've killed a total of like 5 monsters. I keep masting 1 to attack instead of just auto attacking and using skills when necessary. It seems like nearly every aspect of this game is a disaster. The graphics are one saving grace, but I can't enjoy them because even with my 2600K and two 570's I can't max it for some magical reason.

I haven't had a chance to look at the improvements yet, but it doesn't seem like they're addressing the fact that the job system is about 1000x less fun than FFXI.

hmmm, look closer.

XenoRaven

Riposte said:
hmmm, look closer.
Just from this page I read that there will be one job that corresponds to each class. One is not a lot of variety. I take that to mean reaching a job is just a natural class evolution. It doesn't seem to change the fact that in FFXI I could mix and match jobs depending my situation and my role in a party. There could be a greater context here I'm not aware of, or maybe I'm just not understanding.

Either way, while I can see them not wanting to just make FFXI-2, the subjob system is really something I wish they would have kept.

Jinko

Riposte said:
I'd prefer a relatively slow combat system where speed of movement and attack are not important. What I foresee for FFXIV is something strongly focused on positioning, formations(matching up weapon ranges based on large enemy patterns), and the usual key aspects you've already mentioned. I also want AI which perfectly complements this system. I have to imagine it will be too hard to implement. I fear that the devs are aiming to make a fast paced system instead.

Slow movement and battle no thanks, I want battles to be crazy with shit blowing up all over the place, something tells me I'll have to go play something else to get that though lol.

Subjobs were great for FF11 but I don't want to see them again in this game, in fact I don't really want to see any of the combat system brought over from 11. (I can live with auto attack ... I think)

XenoRaven

Riposte said:
I misunderstood you. Hmmm, so you like subjobs. You don't think class system doesn't cover that?
Maybe I'm not far enough to the game to really get the idea of the class system so maybe I judged too harshly. Does this game let you use abilities from other classes. If so, is the limit on ability slots the only restriction? Is there anything stopping me from making a Gladiator that can debuff and heal with no real penalty?

The limitations places on subjobs and the stat boosts you got was what really made that system. Each character in a party had a specialty and it wasn't as simple as just equipping a different weapon and switching out abilities after a battle if you wanted to change it. I like the ease of use idea, but the ability to be whatever I want whenever I want seems kind of bland.

Eccocid

The problem with jobs in FFXI was the...community and strict partying rules.

Well game was based on camping and partying 90% of the time. So ppl were expecting everyone act in trendy tactics all the time. I was a MNK/WAR but after level 40 or 50 everyone expected me to sub NIN to nerf my damage and cover my ass cuz i cant tank with MNK and party setups dont allow me to sub WAR and increase my damage output.
Everyone except tanks were forced to gimp their damages cuz of hate control. When subbing NIN became more and more common thing i gave up playing FFXI.

Riposte

Jinko said:
Slow movement and battle no thanks, I want battles to be crazy with shit blowing up all over the place

I don't really see it as exclusive. I see skill and spell combinations are already in the game, they need to start mattering(also look better). (And enemies need to start using them too.)

I think complex(and strict) flanking and formation(and maybe terrain and elevation) mechanics would be the best addition to the foundation built by classes and weapon types. I want a system where players have to commit to their position and formation and making it all wacky(running away from AoEs, everyone but the tank standing in "safe" spots) just trivializes that. Maybe have Lancer(and/or Pugilist) play out like cavalry, ignoring formation to enfeeble enemies and take advantage of line attacks to hit guarded "mage" enemies.

Eccocid

Riposte said:
I don't really see it as exclusive. I see skill and spell combinations are already in the game, they need to start mattering(also look better). (And enemies need to start using them too.)

I think complex(and strict) flanking and formation(and maybe terrain and elevation) mechanics would be the best addition to the foundation built by classes and weapon types. I want a system where players have to commit to their position and formation and making it all wacky(running away from AoEs, everyone but the tank standing in "safe" spots) just trivializes that. Maybe have Lancer(and/or Pugilist) play out like cavalry, ignoring formation to enfeeble enemies and take advantage of line attacks to hit guarded "mage" enemies.

I want some attacks that can cancel enemy skills. Like if u do it in the middle of the mob skill animation, it will be cancelled! And same for mobs too. And pls remove long range attacks from every mob in the game. So pointless to bind them lol.

XenoRaven

Rentahamster said:
There's 5 battle classes, so that means there will be 5 jobs.
Right. But it seems like you're just graduating into a job. I was expecting the ability to pick gladiator and have there be different branches like warrior, thief, paladin, etc.

What I'm learning is I need to give the system more of a chance and just be patient and see what changes they make. I definitely don't hate the game. It's just really not what I was hoping for or expecting. As I build my character and start mixing and matching abilities my opinion may change.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eccocid said:
I want some attacks that can cancel enemy skills. Like if u do it in the middle of the mob skill animation, it will be cancelled!
We got that om the game now. It's called Leg Sweep and Twisting Vice. The mechanics could be improved upon, however.

Eccocid said:
And pls remove long range attacks from every mob in the game. So pointless to bind them lol.
That's in the works.

Riposte

Eccocid said:
I want some attacks that can cancel enemy skills. Like if u do it in the middle of the mob skill animation, it will be cancelled! And same for mobs too. And pls remove long range attacks from every mob in the game. So pointless to bind them lol.

I think they removing ranged attacks. I kind of liked them because it combats kiting and makes encountering monsters more deadly. Just have monsters be unable to use them when you bind them.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
XenoRaven said:
Right. But it seems like you're just graduating into a job. I was expecting the ability to pick gladiator and have there be different branches like warrior, thief, paladin, etc.
If that's the case, we'd end up with a lot of jobs. It might be too much to handle with too much redundancy. Besides, the devs don't got that much time, so 7 jobs to work on for now is more than enough.

Jinko

Riposte said:

If I understood what you are saying you want people to find a spot and stand their ground, which is basically what people do right now with any of the NM encounters, believe me its the most boring stuff in the world.

I actually don't agree that running out of AoE's and finding safe spots trivialise standing in the right spot, in fact it shows that people are paying attention and doing what they are supposed to.

Sin

Rentahamster said:
If that's the case, we'd end up with a lot of jobs. It might be too much to handle with too much redundancy. Besides, the devs don't got that much time, so 5 jobs to work on for now is more than enough.

Maybe I misunderstood but aren't the Battle Classes actually 7?

Marauder
Gladiator
Archer
Lancer
Pugilist
Conjurer
Thaumaturge

Eccocid

Rentahamster said:
We got that om the game now. It's called Leg Sweep and Twisting Vice. The mechanics could be improved upon, however.

That's in the works.

hmm i will check those skills.

I always wanted to play a mmorpg with a totally dif focus on fighting. Most of them are using same formula. Same party roles. But a battle system mainly focused on canceling enemy attacks and try to survive would be cool. Kinda like press turn system in SMT3. Do a proper elemental attack u get extra turn. Do something stupid u lose turn. Since turn based cant be implemented in a mmorpg (would be boring to wait others lol), instead of turns it can focus on cancelling attacks. Well it sounds very abstract right now tho.

OR at least a job in FF XIV which can alter the time lapse of battle. I am not talking about haste/slow tho. I just want a different tactical layover than tank/dps/healer.

Riposte

Jinko said:
If I understood what you are saying you want people to find a spot and stand their ground, which is basically what people do right now with any of the NM encounters, believe me its the most boring stuff in the world.

I'd argue those NMs(or almost any encounter) don't take advantage of weapon types nor do they focus on player formation, beyond the most simplest of ways. And what I am saying has less to do with standing in one spot and more to do with holding an attack/defense pattern in reaction to the enemies'. Ideally enemies won't stand in one spot, forcing you to move as well(as a group).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sin said:
Maybe I misunderstood but aren't the Battle Classes actually 7?

Marauder
Gladiator
Archer
Lancer
Pugilist
Conjurer
Thaumaturge
lol, brain fart. For some reason I was only counting the non-mage classes. Odd, considering I'm a rank 50 Thaumaturge, hahaha

Shouta

Eccocid said:
The problem with jobs in FFXI was the...community and strict partying rules.

Well game was based on camping and partying 90% of the time. So ppl were expecting everyone act in trendy tactics all the time. I was a MNK/WAR but after level 40 or 50 everyone expected me to sub NIN to nerf my damage and cover my ass cuz i cant tank with MNK and party setups dont allow me to sub WAR and increase my damage output.
Everyone except tanks were forced to gimp their damages cuz of hate control. When subbing NIN became more and more common thing i gave up playing FFXI.

That's because the game's play styles and methods were still in its infancy then. It was also because of synergy within the group. A person taking the aggro/hate and being unable to reduce the damage taken is slowing the group up because, back then, MP was a much harder resource to manage. A person dies or the mage is unable to provide supports means you have to stop and that in turns means you end up losing out in the long run. It's no different than most MMOs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
BTW, if you didn't know already, the devs are taking your questions and comments regarding the gathering system:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11809-gathering-in-nature?p=160570&viewfull=1#post160570

As you may have seen our recent Battle Q&A where we gathered up comments from various threads and went over them with the Battle team. Well, we'd like to hold another similar Q&A this week that focuses on Gathering. (We would like to hold Q&A in this fashion on a specific theme every 2-3 weeks, but we are still in the planning stages at this time.)

Theme: Gathering (anything related to this is fair game)

Riposte

I am currently suffering from this bug(?) where my website account is constantly timed out, even if I log out and log in.

Sin

Rentahamster said:
lol, brain fart. For some reason I was only counting the non-mage classes. Odd, considering I'm a rank 50 Thaumaturge, hahaha

Hehe, figured you were leaving the mage classes out.

Hopefully I'll be rank 50 Thaumaturge today too. Haha

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Sin said:
Hehe, figured you were leaving the mage classes out.

Hopefully I'll be rank 50 Thaumaturge today too. Haha

Go go for it! :)

Teknoman

XenoRaven said:

Turn off ambient occlusion and depth of field if you havent already.

Also auto attack (with a faster delay than XI) is being added very soon + stamina gauge removed, among other things.

As things are now however, its not necessary to spam 1 constantly.

XenoRaven said:

I found out that if you max rendering quality you are rendering the scene higher than the native res. Take for instance if you are rendering at 1080p then 8 will equal 1. And if I am not mistaken 9=1.5x and 10=2x. So it isn't necessary to max out general rendering quality. Leave that at 8 and max out everything else.

Coldsnap

Rentahamster said:
In other news, a guy on the official forums put out a challenge for THMS to beat his record of killing the crab NM in 3 minutes.

So I did it in 2 min 9 sec.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/12347-THMs-I-challenge-you-to-a-DUEL!-Old-Six-Arms!-High-Noon!

haha awesome

Jinko

staticneuron said:
I found out that if you max rendering quality you are rendering the scene higher than the native res. Take for instance if you are rendering at 1080p then 8 will equal 1. And if I am not mistaken 9=1.5x and 10=2x. So it isn't necessary to max out general rendering quality. Leave that at 8 and max out everything else.

Pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom