• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

I just picked this up on the cheap from an EU store (cost me $7 CAD), mainly because: If I ever feel like it, I can use it as a time killer, and I'm in NA, so if they start charging, I'll stop playing due to the increased fee, and if it is ever worth paying a mo/fee for, then that would lead me to actually buy a NA copy with key.

Ravidrath

Think we'll see any XIV info at E3?

I'm a little wary, since last year's trailer got me pretty excited for the game, and I'm worried this might do the same. :p

Jinko

Ravidrath said:

I'm a little wary, since last year's trailer got me pretty excited for the game, and I'm worried this might do the same. :p

Will prob be news and videos of the PS3 version and I wouldn't be overly surprised to see an expansion announced LOL.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:

Unless its a giant trailer showing off a great new combat system, jobs in action, raid dungeons + bosses and a load of new story cutscenes...or even company cutscenes...I doubt it.

Maybe some interviews about 1.18.

Bayohne said:
Spoke to the dev. team to try and wrangle some more details regarding the upcoming job system. The current thinking is to have one job for one class. So for example, if you are a gladiator, the job you could unlock would be paladin, etc. Right now, we can't give any further details about the possibility of having multiple jobs per class.

To try and stave off the coming flood of "So if gladiator becomes paladin, then what will xyz class unlock?" You'll have to stay tuned for more details in the future!

Teknoman

Materia:

ihlUI.jpg

Not gonna lie, I hope they keep the name Materia. Seems like a pretty nice spin on the system, and as long as it isnt as complicated as evoliths were in XI, i'm on board.

Sounds pretty cool to me. It is all about the implementation. This is either going to go over well or be a disappointment like the side quests are.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
staticneuron said:
Sounds pretty cool to me. It is all about the implementation. This is either going to go over well or be a disappointment like the side quests are.
Yep, I thought the same thing. Until we actually have it in out hands, we won't really know. At times like these, I wonder about the kind of playtesters they have playing this game. Doesn't anyone ever bring up the fact that all their ideas, while promising on paper, totally suck when you actually play them in game?

Coldsnap said:
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL

lmao

Work on your internship, fool!

Ravidrath

As long as that shit isn't totally random like XI's Augments, it sounds great.

But the stuff about the "fluctuations" is a bit worrisome. As long as you get a standard baseline of benefit it'll be good - the fluctuations should be bonuses, not penalties.

Jinko

Yup if they pull the same shit they did with Augment I don't think anyone will be happy.

I don't think the fluctuations will be an issue, you will be able to go in the market ward and pick up HQ versions anyway, although I'm sure they will cost a decent bit of gill.

It's a good sign for end game that everyone will be aiming for the best gear and the best materia to complement it.

Ravidrath

They just updated the translation, saying it would convert the weapon or armor into Materia.

Basically, this seems to be designed to remove items from the economy and provide a real benefit to doing so.

I'd hate to see this apply to exclusive or difficult-to-obtain gear. Last thing we need is people trying to get multiple Ridills or whatever to generate uber-Materia for other things.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
I told everyone that, but apparently they don't listen :p

I said that too, but Peregrine swooped down outta nowhere as usual...

EDIT: I know the english and JP forums are lively...but has anyone ever bothered looking at the french or german sections?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sin said:
Hehe, figured you were leaving the mage classes out.

Hopefully I'll be rank 50 Thaumaturge today too. Haha

This reminds me I need to install the past several updates...

Btw, check your PMs :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kagari said:
This reminds me I need to install the past several updates...
I dunno if you wanna come back just yet. Most of the GAF LS is on break till the patch.

I'm still on, but just playing with other LS groups at the moment.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
New JPN dev post about adjustments to the guidleve system.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...し、スタッフに見てもらおう!?p=163169&viewfull=1#post163169

They are aware of the phenomenon of everyone just failing their leves so they can do the same ones over and over again, so to promote success, leves will give a SP reward upon completion.

we'll drag you in to the year 2011 SE ! we will.

Hopefully it will even out the total SP reward over the whole leve or something, that would encourage players to try less common leves.

Makes sense that the material process would destroy the weapon, I'm guessing/hoping that untradeable weapons/armour can't be turned into materia.

Teknoman

Whats this about MAP?

こんにちは。ご意見ありがとうございます。

開発チームと確認をしてきまして、サーバー改修が行われるのと同じタイミングでの実装を目指すということを確認してきました。

詳細に触れられるのはまだ先のこととなりますが、どのような機能が望まれているか、ご意見あれば引き続きお待ちしております!

Ravidrath

They never should have made leves give SP during regular battles at all, and just made it a flat Exp/SP amount.

It was obviously exploitable from the very start.

BTW, I'm proposing on the forums getting rid of stat loss when gear is damaged, and instead hurting AP gain for Materia.

Breaking gear is one of the lamest things in the game - it's not fun, it pops up at the worst times, and disrupts party play. People carry around multiple weapons or materials to avoid all the problems it creates.

If they get rid of stat loss and just make repairing a huge boon to AP accrual, they can completely flip the psychology around - repairing your gear will be fun because you get a bonus from doing so, rather than trying to avoid a penalty.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Whats this about MAP?

こんにちは。ご意見ありがとうございます。

開発チームと確認をしてきまして、サーバー改修が行われるのと同じタイミングでの実装を目指すということを確認してきました。

詳細に触れられるのはまだ先のこととなりますが、どのような機能が望まれているか、ご意見あれば引き続きお待ちしております!

Talking about map markers. (user added markers I believe like FF11 used to have)

Kimashi confirmed that the development team is aiming to ensure that the implementation would be done at the same time as improvement to the servers.

rather than trying to avoid a penalty.

They just don't get it though, that its better to reward people for playing well than punish them for playing bad.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
They just don't get it though, that its better to reward people for playing well than punish them for playing bad.

Yeah, like... I feel like this is a Japanese mentality that has been coming into contrast in recent years.

Would like Tekno and Renta to back me up on this on the official forums, though!

Ravidrath

Kandinsky said:
Would be cool if they showed the new combat system next week :D

I get the sense there will be zero XIV stuff at E3...

I would've expected to be invited to a Yoshi-P interview if he was going, for example.

Luigi87

So I guess Ul'dah is like the area to be?
Started on Lindblum in LL, and noticed a significant lack of people (well, more significant) there, compared to when I traversed to Ul'dah.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Luigi87 said:
So I guess Ul'dah is like the area to be?
Started on Lindblum in LL, and noticed a significant lack of people (well, more significant) there, compared to when I traversed to Ul'dah.
Limsa and Gridania are ghost towns.

With the lessening population, it makes more sense for everyone to congregate into one central location for economic reasons.

In addition, Uldah leves grant the most SP, far more than the other cities.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Limsa and Gridania are ghost towns.

With the lessening population, it makes more sense for everyone to congregate into one central location for economic reasons.

In addition, Uldah leves grant the most SP, far more than the other cities.

That being said, Gridania is the best :D

Eccocid

Ugh am i the only one who thinks that cuz of this attachment and materia thing we will be seeing tons of ppl with gimped gear, re using low level weapons and armors to farm materia whole time?

I hated that in FF9. You had to keep using same equipment for a long time to get a new skill...urgh :(

Jinko

It depends, hopefully higher tier gear will give better stats so most people will do the opposite.

I just hope they don't expect us to convert out untradeable gear.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
They never should have made leves give SP during regular battles at all, and just made it a flat Exp/SP amount.

It was obviously exploitable from the very start.

BTW, I'm proposing on the forums getting rid of stat loss when gear is damaged, and instead hurting AP gain for Materia.

Breaking gear is one of the lamest things in the game - it's not fun, it pops up at the worst times, and disrupts party play. People carry around multiple weapons or materials to avoid all the problems it creates.

If they get rid of stat loss and just make repairing a huge boon to AP accrual, they can completely flip the psychology around - repairing your gear will be fun because you get a bonus from doing so, rather than trying to avoid a penalty.

Link the post, i'll drop in.

Eccocid

Ugh just got an email form click and buy and checked it from my phone.. They blocked my account again! lol! fuck them!

Seems liek when i get back home on monday i wont be able to play FF XIV anymore.

Jinko

Eccocid said:
Ugh just got an email form click and buy and checked it from my phone.. They blocked my account again! lol! fuck them!

Seems liek when i get back home on monday i wont be able to play FF XIV anymore.

A lot of places Paypal included restrict your account if you use different IP addresses its the best way to stop fraud from happening.

Jinko

Wow the extremes some people go to.

This week my MMO of choice is the closed beta for Eden Eternal.

Anime cuteness is ....kawaii

http://www.edeneternal.aeriagames.c...search&utm_campaign=eeusother&utm_medium=text

Looks its got a dyeing system :O

Step into the world of Eden Eternal and create a human hero – or perhaps something a little more wild! Choose your character race and customize your wardrobe using a versatile dye system that affects multiple aspects of your outfit. Search the world for rare and exotic dyes, or get your hands on more common colors in your hometown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom