• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

Cathcart said:
Dude do not marry a girl who plays an MMO. It starts off all great like hey she doesn't give me shit for playing FFXIV all night but then ten years later your baby ends up looking like that kid from Trainspotting because you were both camping NMs.

bwahaha so true, most girls I know in real life who play MMOs are insane.

Jinko

Amneisac said:
FWIW, my game was running much smoother until the crash. I felt like there was less input lag and the hardware mouse is MUCH better.

But then it crashed.

Make sure you have everything unticked in Windows Action Center.

For those playing now, what seems to be the ratio of races playing? I remember seeing Miqoto everywhere in OB.

Cat > Small Person >Human > Elf > Gorilla.

Same as 11 really.

SE changed the controller setup. No more macros on controller... at least the option isn't in the configuration menu. Now I can access the Action Menu and open chat though.

Is still there for me.

And to the guy asking whether the XP has been buffed I think it has, I'm already Physical 11/Alchemist 9/Lancer 8. (seems a lot faster)

DrDogg

Jinko said:
Is still there for me.

Really? Are you using an Xbox 360 pad or...? Seems odd that it would change for me and not for you.

Also, the title screen has different options now, and the sound has been improved.

nataku

Well, CE arrived earlier than I though so I'm installed now. Hopefully I'll be able to play tonight after work.

I wish the journal was a book of concept art. I don't think I'll ever write anything in it.

As nice as the security token is for security, hopefully I don't end up losing it. A mobile phone app would be so much better.

Feep

Banned
Holy shit, Gamestop had an EXTRA Collector's Edition, just for me. Fuck off, preorder people!

I WAS NOT PREPARED, HELP ME BE PREPARED...!

1) I need to setup payment information, right? Should I just use ClickAndBuy, despite the shadiness? No other option, right?

2) Limsa-Lominsa or Gridania?! I remember people saying Limsa's story was dumb. Can we do other nations' stories? Ahhhhh! (Fuck Ul'dah)

3) How to I setup this One-Time Authenticator thing?

4) Are there any good Android FFXIV apps yet?

notworksafe

Feep said:
1) I need to setup payment information, right? Should I just use ClickAndBuy, despite the shadiness? No other option, right?

2) Limsa-Lominsa or Gridania?! I remember people saying Limsa's story was dumb. Can we do other nations' stories? Ahhhhh! (Fuck Ul'dah)

3) How to I setup this One-Time Authenticator thing?

4) Are there any good Android FFXIV apps yet?
You can use Paypal if you buy Crysta. And Gridania had the best story in the beta, in my opinion.

To add the token, go to account.square-enix.com and login. Then under "Services and Options" hit "One-time Password" and hit the "Security Token Usage Settings" then you'll be able to register your token.

and http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/18645-ffxiv-guide-for-android/

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Do we have to use the security token? I dont think i've ever been hacked before...then again maybe better safe than sorry?
You don't have to use it, but I would use it anyway. If you do get hacked somehow you'll be kicking yourself for not registering it. Plus you can always take it off if it gets too annoying.

Teknoman

How about the item use menu?

Also Limsa's story isnt dumb...its just everyone seems to have a stereotypical pirate accent, which translates better to speech than text.

EDIT: Do we have to use the security token? I dont think i've ever been hacked before...then again maybe better safe than sorry?

Kyoufu

Teknoman said:
How about the item use menu?

Also Limsa's story isnt dumb...its just everyone seems to have a stereotypical pirate accent, which translates better to speech than text.

You don't have to but this isn't like WoW where if you're hacked you'll be reimbursed. S-E are cold blooded, so might as well just use it to be safe.

DrDogg

...and I'm in! Lindblum is still at 3 chocobos, but it let me in no problem. No new character creation options to be had, but I had no problem using my Beta name and also got the option for my FFXI name so everything seems to be linked properly.

Ravidrath said:
Hmm, where's my Asura's Gauntlet? Wasn't I supposed to automatically get that for registerring FFXIII?

If you only registered it months ago you have to register it again.

nataku

Well, installed and patched up. Hopefully I don't come home from work to find the servers down at midnight.

Still can't decide on a race. Roegadyn or Hyur?

Ravidrath

DrDogg said:
If you only registered it months ago you have to register it again.

Are you fucking kidding me? I threw it away after I registered it... is there any way to get the code from the site so I can re-register it?

DrDogg

Ravidrath said:
Are you fucking kidding me? I threw it away after I registered it... is there any way to get the code from the site so I can re-register it?

There's a direct link a few pages back, but you can access it from the SE page somewhere.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
Really? Are you using an Xbox 360 pad or...? Seems odd that it would change for me and not for you.

Nope using DS3 (motionjoy)

Ravidrath you can find the code on your Square members page, you then need to add it to your SE account thingy.

Kyoufu

Ravidrath said:

When you registered the code you should've received an email confirming it along with a new FFXIV promotional code. Go dig it up in your email.

hgplayer1

Well I got both copies in today. Gonna have to return one of them or something.

Tek wanna meet me in Hempstead? :lol

I need to do a little maintenance on the PC but I should be logged in tonight.

DrDogg

Jinko said:
Nope using DS3 (motionjoy)

Ravidrath you can find the code on your Square members page, you then need to add it to your SE account thingy.

My controls are kinda messed up. Need to see if I can fix them to how they were in the OB. Not sure why SE changed it for Xbox pads. I don't particularly feel like hooking up my DS3.

Ravidrath said:
OK... and then I need to start over again to get it, right?

Yep.

gillty

Banned
did SE end up implementing hw mouse? EB called to let me know my Ce edition could be picked up, but I'm not sure if I want it.

DrDogg

Valru said:
did SE end up implementing hw mouse? EB called to let me know my Ce edition could be picked up, but I'm not sure if I want it.

Yes, it's in.

I can't wait until 9/30... everyone has the damn helmet on. :lol

Ravidrath

Grr, can't find the link and looked several pages back, and this Members site is such a nightmare to navigate.

Anyone have the link handy to get my XIII code so I can reregister it for the Gauntlet?

Decay24

Neo Member
Salaadin said:
Do not delete the folders in your "My Documents" since that holds your character creation info if you want to keep that for retail.

As for the XIII code, Login and go here:http://member.square-enix.com/na/features/ff13/serialcode/ps3.php
That will display your code.

To register the in game item to your SE ID, Login https://secure.square-enix.com/account/
and goto Select Service > FFXIV > Add a Service Account > Type in Code > and then confirm a couple of times.

there ya go

Jinko said:
Thats the thing no lag, connection icon is always green.

On a different subject, I need help deciding on whether to upgrade my CPU or GPU (can't afford to both right now), the game is using roughly 50-60% of my Q6600 and 30-60% of my Radeon 4870.

I'm thinking im more CPU restrained, what do you guys think ?

You know, I didn't write my long benchmark post just to see myself post. I DID IT TO HELP YOU GUYS! :lol

TL;DR: I also upgraded from a Q6600, I already had a GTX 470. I can tell you that this game is hugely CPU-limited when your CPU is below a certain threshold of performance, but once you clear that hump you will be entirely GPU-bound wherever you go. Upgrade following my helpful shopping cart and you should be fine. You don't have to buy the video card now if you don't want to, though a 4870 will likely do best at 720p instead of 1080p resolution.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
everyone has the damn helmet on. :lol

Seriously, the helmet is crap, it looks crap and it requires an iron square to fix :lol, kind of sad that the rank 2 bandana has better stats aswell.

Unknown Soldier said:
You know, I didn't write my long benchmark post just to see myself post. I DID IT TO HELP YOU GUYS! :lol

TL;DR: I also upgraded from a Q6600, I already had a GTX 470. I can tell you that this game is hugely CPU-limited when your CPU is below a certain threshold of performance, but once you clear that hump you will be entirely GPU-bound wherever you go. Upgrade following my helpful shopping cart and you should be fine. You don't have to buy the video card now if you don't want to, though a 4870 will likely do best at 720p instead of 1080p resolution.

You didn't ? :D

But yea I went back and read it again, Looks like I will be getting a new CPU, which means a new motherboard and new memory aswell ... meh what a pain.. just because SE Programmers are stupid.

I don't paticularly want to get a 470 when 6000's are just around the corner either.

DrDogg

Okay, I don't know if it's server lag or what, but when I initiate a levequest at the camp, it takes a good 30 seconds before it shows me where to go.

Also, once I get to the enemies, I can hit them once, then it tells me the target is already engage and I can't attack them again for a good 15-30 seconds. I've already died once because of this... -_-

I'm also noticing that spells seem to take longer to cast (may be server lag), and Spirit Dart actually misses now. In OB I never missed with it.

careksims

I will not wear the helmet when I get mine. I just want my bad ass eye-patch again :D

Really there are no new character customizations?!

Salaadin

Have there been any issues with servers vanishing from the list and whatnot so far?
What about selling items to NPCs? Still shitty?

Okay so I have the red Registration card (says expired for some reason), the Buddy Pass code, the Right of Passage Code, and the Onion Helm code. Where the fuck is my FFXIV code so I can add the account??? The game came with nothing else.

EDIT: Oh god I'm dumb.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Pai Pai Master said:
Okay so I have the red Registration card (says expired for some reason), the Buddy Pass code, the Right of Passage Code, and the Onion Helm code. Where the fuck is my FFXIV code so I can add the account??? The game came with nothing else.

EDIT: Oh god I'm dumb.

:lol

DrDogg

I'm definitely experiencing far more bugs now than I was in the OB.

I also can't seem to figure out how to change spells from single target to area on the Xbox controller. I could do it fine in the OB, but now it doesn't work. Fail...

DrDogg said:
I'm definitely experiencing far more bugs now than I was in the OB.

I also can't seem to figure out how to change spells from single target to area on the Xbox controller. I could do it fine in the OB, but now it doesn't work. Fail...

Did you check the manual for anything?

Azrael

So much for cheap skill ups on Goldsmithing the first 10 ranks. Bone Chips are around eight times as expensive as they were in Open Beta. At least Muddy Water is still reasonably cheap.

With the nerf to the gil rewards from quests, I'm going to have a hard time even affording the level 1 tools for the different gathering and crafting classes right away, let alone have anything left over to buy crafting mats with.

Those of you with the Hermes boots, is there anything on the SE Account page that lets you know it recognizes your FFXI account and you'll receive them?

DrDogg

demosthenes said:
Did you check the manual for anything?

Silence! I have no time to look at this so-called "manual"! What's wrong with you?! :lol

Pai Pai Master said:
Those of you with the Hermes boots, is there anything on the SE Account page that lets you know it recognizes your FFXI account and you'll receive them?

Nope. I didn't get confirmation that my account was linked until it asked if I wanted to use my FFXI character names.

Azrael

Jinko said:
Seriously, the helmet is crap, it looks crap and it requires an iron square to fix :lol, kind of sad that the rank 2 bandana has better stats aswell.

Reducing weakness duration from 180 to 90 seconds isn't crap. That's the difference between completing a leve and running out of time if you wipe a few times. But running around with it on all the time is dumb.

Azrael said:
So much for cheap skill ups on Goldsmithing the first 10 ranks. Bone Chips are around eight times as expensive as they were in Open Beta. At least Muddy Water is still reasonably cheap.

With the nerf to the gil rewards from quests, I'm going to have a hard time even affording the level 1 tools for the different gathering and crafting classes right away, let alone have anything left over to buy crafting mats with.

Yea, I'm really angry with the gil decrease. I liked how I could get a bunch of different stuff at the start.

Anyone have the site that makes your macros?

Ulairi

Banned
My collectors edition will be here tomorrow, if I go and buy a regular edition at Gamestop to get the other pre-order bonus can I have them all under the same account?

Azrael

So, is there any way to buy additional retainers yet? I really want to get more before all the good names are taken. I see options on the account page for buying additional characters but not retainers. Thought you could get more for $1 a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom