• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Probably so it wouldn't screw up multishot.

They could have redesigned multishot to be press skill once = 2 arrow, press it twice 3 arrows, then press enter to fire the designated amount of arrows or simply convert it to a TP attack.

I'm a little taken aback at their incompetence to find a solution, although I guess I shouldn't be LOL.

Edit: Holy F*** once you get drawn into those forums you can't get out .. SAVE ME !

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:
Edit: Holy F*** once you get drawn into those forums you can't get out .. SAVE ME !

/me Cast Save spell on Jinko.

By the power of... {insert your faith here} i command you to stay out of that place. :p

Gromph

Staff Member
Rentahamster said:
GRAYSKULL!!

Hahah, check this :p

Patch 1.17c notes

Fixed Bugs
Measures have been implemented to address the recurring server failure issue occurring in market areas.
Measures have been implemented to address the issue wherein viewing the linkshell member list may cause the client to crash.
The following bugs have been addressed:
A bug wherein the enemies "Prince of Pestilence" and "Unknown Soldier" may neither be seen nor targeted despite appearing on the minimap.
A bug wherein the location of one's retainer may change following server failure.
A bug wherein the journal entry may not be updated for the quest "A Piece of History."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Munba said:
Regarding area redesign (still not a reply by devs),

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/12971-One-to-Fifty-One-Zone-Long-OP

This topic get more than 300 thumbs up in the EU/NA forum and other massive thumbs number in the other forums as well. So i think something concrete about it will happen in the future.
Yeah, it's a pretty substantial topic, with a pretty universally agreed opinion that the world design sucks ass. I think most people would agree to that.

Considering YoshiP's comment in March about wanting to redesign Gridania, I'm prety sure the devs have something planned in this regard. It's just that - like everything else - they need to wait until the battle changes take place. If they posted that kind of comment in the thread, I doubt the users would take kindly to it, which probably explains the silence.

To be fair, though, the kinds of redesigns that are proposed in the thread would take a lot of work to fully implement in-game. New art, new improvements to the graphics rendering engine, server optimizations, re-populating of monsters, etc. I just hope the devs have the guts to undertake it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Gromph

Staff Member
Rentahamster said:
lol

YoshiP appreciates the feedback from the QA

This is the plan for gatherers:

patch 1.18: Adjustments to the amount of SP gained and the ways in which to gain SP

patch 1.19: Implementation of the Materia Crafting System, and recipe improvements

More details to follow later.

So nice. :D

Munba

Thx renta!

Btw, it seems a german comm. rep responded at the topic about redesign today,

Greetings,

I have good news. Yoshida-san told us that a revamp of the maps is in planning and thus they are also making good progress. However, since this implies some fundamental changes, it will unfortunately take some time.

Another confirmation as well.

Gromph

Staff Member
About jobs

Jobs won't have levels and as such won't need to be leveled up. Jobs are an advanced form of the class that unlocks them. So for example purposes, a level 50 Gladiator would be a level 50 Paladin. (Example only!)

Also we can confirm that we'll be changing the term "ranks" (as in rank 50 Pugilist) to "levels" (as in level 50 Pugilist) along with the removal of the physical level. We'll also be changing skill points to experience points.

In summation:
Rank > Level
Skill points > Experience points

Another
Please also keep in mind that there are still many unannounced details regarding the job system and I was only speaking to a specific question that was being asked/was a point of confusion. I suggest waiting for further announcements for more intricate details.

:sadpanda:

Sin

Gromph said:
Jobs won't have levels and as such won't need to be leveled up. Jobs are an advanced form of the class that unlocks them. So for example purposes, a level 50 Gladiator would be a level 50 Paladin. (Example only!)

Also we can confirm that we'll be changing the term "ranks" (as in rank 50 Pugilist) to "levels" (as in level 50 Pugilist) along with the removal of the physical level. We'll also be changing skill points to experience points.

In summation:
Rank > Level
Skill points > Experience points

Meh, not what I wanted out of this at all. What's the point of having jobs geared towards party play if you are not required to rank them up.

How are people going to learn how to play the job properly to work well in party dynamics so they can tackle the dungeons and eventual new NMs?

Does this mean that all this content will once again be in easy mode?

They had a chance to get people to group up and learn proper party dynamics, but it doesn't seem like they are going to sieze that opportunity.

The skill level of people is already sorely lacking, I have been in countless leve groups and when in most occasions the proverbial shit hits the fan people panic and screw up the group, tha's why these days I stick to the same people from my LS to rank.

Just yesterday we were trioing Dunesfolk at rank 30 succesfully while just a few feet away there was a trio of rank 44s which were constantly struggling and dying to the same leve. (._ .

Buttons

DoM will also be getting auto-attack once they are in close-range:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...asy-XIV-Auto-Attack-Video?p=184935#post184935

Confirmation again that Jobs don't level and are bound to their respective classes:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/13528-Jobs-start-50?p=184722#post184722

And more dungeon info is apparently going to be posted soon:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...ns-what-are-you-expecting?p=184871#post184871

Am looking forward to all these updates, am just hoping content updates will roll out faster once all these fundamental changes to jobs and the battle-system are done. This little Lalafell is running out of things to do. @.@"

Jinko

Sin said:
Meh, not what I wanted out of this at all. What's the point of having jobs geared towards party play if you are not required to rank them up.

How are people going to learn how to play the job properly to work well in party dynamics so they can tackle the dungeons and eventual new NMs?

Does this mean that all this content will once again be in easy mode?

They had a chance to get people to group up and learn proper party dynamics, but it doesn't seem like they are going to sieze that opportunity.

The skill level of people is already sorely lacking, I have been in countless leve groups and when in most occasions the proverbial shit hits the fan people panic and screw up the group, tha's why these days I stick to the same people from my LS to rank.

Just yesterday we were trioing Dunesfolk at rank 30 succesfully while just a few feet away there was a trio of rank 44s which were constantly struggling and dying to the same leve. (._ .

I really don't see the party mechanics changing enough to make a big deal about it tbh.

And to be honest most people I have played with know their role whilst playing, I think its just a matter of dropping you in at the deep end and having to figure it out.

I look forward to learning my role in a rank 50 dungeon (even though I know what it is anyway), running around dying can be funny at times.

I agree that sticking to your LS or people you know is best, random parties are pretty bad in any MMO.

Coldsnap

I'm so fucked when new content comes out because I know absolutely no one now. I don't even wear a LS.

Also yay for renta bringing back hamster avatar.

NeededSleep

meep! said:
Hoi my fellow FFXIV-friends!
My account here on GAF have finally been validated after 1.5 years of waiting! :D

So how many of the old folks are actually still playing this?
I haven't logged on in ages, but I am checking lodestone and here regulary to see any updates to the game, unfortunately they are moving at snailpace. They have barely updated the game with new content at all since it's launch.

As Unkown said, it's a bit too late for SE with these changes. Auto attack will most likely not bring back a lot of people, especially with so many other good games on the horizon. And I agree that Auto-attack is becoming a thing of the past anyway with a lot of MMOs moving towards a bit more engaging combat.

It's rather sad to see this game that I (and many others) had so high hopes for become like this.

I am curious to see what their next MMO is going to be (FFXIV-2?), but I will think a second time before jumping onto that.

Anyway, it's great to finally be able to post on GAF, after reading it for over 6 years!

Meep hellu! I too have been around GAF for years just reading posts. Recently just got my account authed for GAF a few months back. For the most part it was to be part of the FF14 community here. But i've since then moved away from ff14 by the time i was validated, cant wait to be part of another mmo launch though.

Im not what at this point would make me want to go back to ff14, but i think it will take a lot of change to the game in order to do that. I see them moving slowly towards the ff11 feel. Auto attack is nice and i welcome it, but it will not be the one to urge me to reinstall the game at this point. Maybe bring back Galka's tails >.>

The world does not feel alive like it did in ff11. la theine plateau is still one of my most favorite zones in any mmo to date. Loved the different areas, the fishing to be done there. Loved it when it rained and heavy wind blew.

I admire what Yoshi is trying to do for the game. But i think listening to the remaining fans that are playing the game is not the way to do it. Sure it will keep them playing, but it will not bring in any new blood. I hope i'm wrong though!

:)

Teknoman

They arent just listening to fans of course. Its things that Yoshi and crew think are good, and things the community want that may actually be a good idea. Apparently they are trying to bring life to the environments via more settlements, beast tribe villages, roaming NMs and enemy parties, etc. I'm guessing things will work out in the long run, but its just the wait for it seems so long.

On the subject of jobs, it really it like throwing people in the deep end, but that should either help people to work harder together than normal to accomplish a goal, or at least create stronger LS bonds. Honestly, there were high level people in XI that still had no idea how to work in a party.

NeededSleep

Teknoman said:
They arent just listening to fans of course. Its things that Yoshi and crew think are good, and things the community want that may actually be a good idea. Apparently they are trying to bring life to the environments via more settlements, beast tribe villages, roaming NMs and enemy parties, etc. I'm guessing things will work out in the long run, but its just the wait for it seems so long.

Aye, i do remember seeing some of the new settlements in their letters. At launch there were these little settlements that you could go to that would have shop icons and guild icons that you could not interact with at all.(outside the main cities) toss in some crappy vendors at least ya know.
Just there was so much that you could tell was supposed to be implemented in this game. Id just to really like to read a sit down interview some day and hear the honest truth from the developers on what happened that we got such an unfinished product. :(

I was discussing with a friend earlier tonight about what would bring us back to FF14. A huge part that we both missed that wasn't implemented was mog housing and your gardens. I went wood worker in 11 just to sell arrows on the AH it was great. But i didnt realise how much neat stuff you could also make for your mog house!

Riposte

The idea of using blog posts as inspiration for a weekly/monthly game-world newspaper gives me a boner. Vana'diel Tribune RIP.

Buttons

I loved the Vana'diel Tribune. Let's hope they continue this trend with the different FFXIV newspapers. I always loved the artwork in the Tribune posts.

Munba

Buttons said:
I loved the Vana'diel Tribune. Let's hope they continue this trend with the different FFXIV newspapers. I always loved the artwork in the Tribune posts.

So do i. And i like there are 3 newspapers in FF14, one for every city as well.

Buttons

I also like the fact that they used both an English and Japanese player blog in their post. *hopes SE stumbles across Buttons' blog in the future* >:3

I wonder what new armour and recipes they'll be adding in 1.18. I still find mage gear pretty lacking compared to other classes, especially the options available to Conjurer.

I'm also wondering at how exactly THM and CON will be after the patch, as these two classes will probably be undergoing the most drastic changes. (Since one of them will probably head down the WHM route then, unless they suddenly decide to introduce Arcanist to fulfill the healer role and keep THM as a RDM-type job). *waits anxiously for more news* ^_^

Londa

Banned
If they added housing, I think I would start playing again. Playing to craft all the furniture would keep me happy until the game gets good.

Munba

Londa said:
If they added housing, I think I would start playing again. Playing to craft all the furniture would keep me happy until the game gets good.

I presume housing will be made after all the fixes.. hope for the beginning of the next year :/

Nakazato

this game will never be done :(

as a good will gesture it should be free (forever) for ppl that bought before the play for free incident

Londa

Banned
Munba said:
I presume housing will be made after all the fixes.. hope for the beginning of the next year :/

Well if these new raid areas have a lot of replay value. I might go back. But I just bought a PS3 and I have 6 games I need to play. XD

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Munba said:
lol, it's just a requote of what Yoshida posted back in March about the MAP redesigns. It's pretty much like how I said it was gonna be. YoshiP already commented about it, and they really can't say much other than what their overall plan is. However, there are a couple specific things in it. Notably:

"Please consider (monster) level redesign as part of that previous general statement"

"We're planning to give each area its own theme.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh, and in regards to that Dx11 post:

They don't have any plans for Dx11 support because of the PS3, but if there are any major changes to graphics in the future, or if there is more widespread support for Dx10/11, they'll try to put it in.

Kinda lame response.

lol PS3 all over again.

You guys do realize that to implement all this stuff they are now planning to implement at their pace of development is probably at least a 2 years project until the game gets 'good'?

So I guess I'll be checking back in around 2013 to see if FFXIV is ready yet. In the meantime I'll probably have played Tera, SWTOR, Diablo III, Starcraft II - Part II: Heart of the Swarm, Gears of War 3, Rage, my PSVita, Blade & Soul, the list goes on and on. FFXIV will need to be INCREDIBLY FUCKING AMAZING by then to re-capture my attention at that point after 3 other MMOGs and a shit-ton of other games.

Squenix am fucked confirmed.

Buttons

I know it's gonna take a while for everything to get implemented. Being patient is not always easy but I am still enjoying myself.

Speaking of which, I found the proposal of Goblin Airmen quite amusing on the official forums so I came up with this concept and quickly put together this image and posted it on my blog. Think it would make a fun NM in the future. ^_^/

http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.com/2011/06/goblin-airmen.html

goblinairmen7n43.jpg

Luigi87

Buttons said:
I know it's gonna take a while for everything to get implemented. Being patient is not always easy but I am still enjoying myself.

Speaking of which, I found the proposal of Goblin Airmen quite amusing on the official forums so I came up with this concept and quickly put together this image and posted it on my blog. Think it would make a fun NM in the future. ^_^/

That is hilariously awesome.
... I also feel dorky for noticing the held bomb is from Twilight Princess...

Gromph

Staff Member
And we start with "limitations"

This was posted in response to asking about support for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11, specifically. When taking into consideration the performance of the PlayStation 3 version, we currently have no plans of supporting DirectX 10/11. However, in the event that large changes or alterations take place to the graphics, or if DirectX 10/DirectX 11 continue to grow in popularity, we will begin to support them.

So lame...

More about jobs

While I can't offer too many new details, another thing I wanted to clarify about the upcoming job system; jobs won't be unlocked at rank 50, but when leveling a class up and it hits a certain rank you'll be able to unlock the related job.

Jinko

Buttons said:

http://buttons-tarutaru.blogspot.com/2011/06/goblin-airmen.html

Please email this to Yoshi-P lol, or at least post it on the forums, looks awesome.

SE needs to put more people towards this project. They are killing the project by not allocating the proper resources. Even if they are planning a relaunch to remind everyone of this games existence, other MMO's will visually stomp FFXIV out. "If DX10/11 grows in popularity" indeed. This starting to sound like a they are fighting a losing battle now.

staticneuron said:
SE needs to put more people towards this project. They are killing the project by not allocating the proper resources. Even if they are planning a relaunch to remind everyone of this games existence, other MMO's will visually stomp FFXIV out. "If DX10/11 grows in popularity" indeed. This starting to sound like a they are fighting a losing battle now.

They aren't going to put MORE people on a project which loses money. At this point it's probably a token effort since Squenix is already talking about their next MMOG which they supposedly want to announce this year.

Ravidrath

Unknown Soldier said:
They aren't going to put MORE people on a project which loses money. At this point it's probably a token effort since Squenix is already talking about their next MMOG which they supposedly want to announce this year.

Well, they seem serious about trying to rehab this game. I also suspect the other game will be significantly different in style and content, too.

While I would like them to fix XIV faster, I actually think taking longer to do it is the right call. More people would help them fill out their checklist faster, but they need time to observe and tune to make sure it's fun.

Also, I actually think that if they want to seriously attempt a relaunch, the more time they put between then and the original release the better so those bitter memories will have faded a bit and there is enough time that people can expect big changes.

Gromph said:
And we start with "limitations"

So lame...

While I can understand the disappointment, especially with the "PS2"-era precedent, you don't really think they were going to just drop everything else and start doing DX11 stuff did you? I mean, the game is complete belly flop. They used the PS2 as an excuse last time and they'll use the PS3 as an excuse this time, but don't fall for it... they were never ever going to upgrade last time, and they certainly aren't going to now when they can't even justify a monthly fee this late in the game, especially when the PS3 version is still vaporware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom