• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

Gromph said:
All of this should be made on beta.

All players was begging for much of this.

I'm very happy with the changes and finally the flow of info.

:)

It's astonishing to imagine if the game hadn't come out. If they just delayed it a year lol.

What bothers me right now that I'm afraid that everyone is just going to join one company, like San d'Oria was in Wings of the Goddess(not to mention CONQUEST once Expeditionary Force LSes went away).

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Riposte said:
It's astonishing to imagine if the game hadn't come out. If they just delayed it a year lol.

What bothers me right now that I'm afraid that everyone is just going to join one company, like San d'Oria was in Wings of the Goddess(not to mention CONQUEST once Expeditionary Force LSes went away).

I will join Gridania Company.

Lets see if later you can join the others.

Coldsnap

I like the dark matter, I will like it even more if it doesn't take up inventory space. Like gets stores where crystals are or something.

Teknoman

Kyoufu said:
What the hell is a Company and why should I join one.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=8cc5179de6a3e8809e36d9b88fe91f27769c4f63

Also sticking with Ul'dah since it like the name of the company and it was my first decision as a starter city. As far as other companies go, people should just join the one they like the most, not the one everyone else flocked to (whats funny is that on Fairy/Sylph, everyone went to Windurst for Wings of the Goddess, or just jumped around depending on what was the in thing atm).

The only thing i'm worried about is that the majority of company missions wont be party oriented...but then again, they seem to be working towards making the most rewarding content in the game party based. I'd still like a couple easy company missions to be solo though, just for variety.

On repairs:

Its a change for the better in that the items needed are simplified, yet you still have to pay for the items as well as repairs. So while its not that different, it is still a much better choice. Not to mention the items used for old repairs will still be useful in making the items in the first place, but you'll also be able to have better access to repairs in the field.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'll probably try out all 3 companies' initial missions before deciding on a main.

It would matter whether or not the companies have item rewards that are tailored more towards the guilds that reside in each companies' towns.

I wonder if the dev team would have made the rewards for LL and grid companies a little bit better in order to encourage ppl to get out of Uldah...

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
I'll probably try out all 3 companies' initial missions before deciding on a main.

It would matter whether or not the companies have item rewards that are tailored more towards the guilds that reside in each companies' towns.

I wonder if the dev team would have made the rewards for LL and grid companies a little bit better in order to encourage ppl to get out of Uldah...

I think the companies will probably have similar rewards to the guilds located in the cities...but then again, there would have to be a way to insure others would want to help people during company missions.

Babalu.

The repair news is great! I always liked going around repairing people's stuff but having to carry around all types of mats hoping you have the right one to repair just made it so tedious. <3 this dark matter idea.

Teknoman

Hopefully all these new mechanics, dungeons, improvements, and missions will also force some social interaction.

Nothing sucks more than asking a question in a populated area and no one replies :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Popcicle said:
You don't need to go to all that trouble to find me ;).

But I mostly play on PS3, don't worry we'll make this happen someday.
I got PS3, my body is ready.

I can record the matches too, but don't worry, I won't make you sing "Eyes on Me" when you lose.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rentahamster said:

I can record the matches too, but don't worry, I won't make you sing "Eyes on Me" when you lose.

Make him give me a refund on 14...

Teknoman

Popcicle said:
You don't need to go to all that trouble to find me ;).

But I mostly play on PS3, don't worry we'll make this happen someday.

Rentahamster said:

OH SNAP.

Jinko

Count me down for the 8 man instance after the patch.

Love the addition/subtraction to the repair system, they are getting there slowly but surely.

I'll be joining Gridania.

Ravidrath

Hmm, wow... today's news is giving me the itch to come back sooner than later.

Very curious about Grand Companies. I was hoping it was more like "public quests," but it sounds like it may be more akin to Campaign Ops? Either way, it's good to see the game getting more content.

The repair improvements are nice, too - not only is this a great design improvement, it should be a great and much-needed gil sink.

Coldsnap said:
and he got a coffee mug or notebook, whatever the LE came with.

The notebook was shitty. I was pissed that the Europeans got the mug before and Americans didn't, but now I think I would be ashamed to be seen in public with a mug that had FINAL FANTASY XIV written on it. :|

zlatko

Banned
So I'm finally updating the game since I'd say November of last year, or at least this update seems like it was done Nov 25th 2010. It's as usual going slow as shit, so I'm glad to see SE in all these months never managed to fix the games patcher to go faster than 1MB/sec for whatever god damn reason.

Did they ever fix the controls to allow for numpad movement like in FFXI, or is the controller still the way to go to play?

Edit: 3 files. November, december, and June. Was there really no updates from January to May? Jesus christ...

2nd Edit: Logged on after remembering my log in stuff, and was experiencing serious lag and unsure why. I didn't have issues with that back in beta and early retail, so I'll have to tweak some settings to see what was the cause. I checked my LS to see if anyone was on and no one was there, walked over to a crystal near me and saw no one there or anywhere near me. Super barren. :( Logged out there for now... will wait for that next patch to maybe put some time back into the game when more people are likely to hop on.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
zlatko said:
Did they ever fix the controls to allow for numpad movement like in FFXI, or is the controller still the way to go to play?
Remember to check "hardware mouse" in the settings.
Edit: 3 files. November, december, and June. Was there really no updates from January to May? Jesus christ...
There was quite a lot of updates since November, but I guess you don't have to download all the files as they packed it up somehow.
2nd Edit: Logged on after remembering my log in stuff, and was experiencing serious lag and unsure why.
If you mean the stuttering for a few minutes when you login (and after changing area to a more crowded one), that quite normal, the game loads all the textures or something like that, should be ok after a while.

Also, come to Lindblum, surprisingly it's not that bad with people there.

zlatko

Banned
Keiician said:
Remember to check "hardware mouse" in the settings.

There was quite a lot of updates since November, but I guess you don't have to download all the files as they packed it up somehow.

If you mean the stuttering for a few minutes when you login (and after changing area to a more crowded one), that quite normal, the game loads all the textures or something like that, should be ok after a while.

Also, come to Lindblum, surprisingly it's not that bad with people there.

Can I change server willingly or something? I had already invested quite a lot of leveling and made money on my main. I think I had a few jobs 20+.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
zlatko said:
Can I change server willingly or something? I had already invested quite a lot of leveling and made money on my main. I think I had a few jobs 20+.
Sadly - no. Fresh start is the only option and I doubt that they'll introduce server transfers any time soon.

Teknoman

zlatko said:

Really easy to get to 15-20 now with the adjustments though, so if you want to switch, now is the best time.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Teknoman said:
Really easy to get to 15-20 now with the adjustments though, so if you want to switch, now is the best time.
What Teknoman said, at some point they've changed the exp gain curve and now you can easily get to 25 rank in 2 days.

Damn, I must level to 25 to be able to enter that dungeon next week.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zlatko said:
So I'm finally updating the game since I'd say November of last year, or at least this update seems like it was done Nov 25th 2010.
Zlaaaaatkoooooooooooooooo

Let's play FF14, then play SF4.

Nakazato

Yo Tek i was wondering if you ill be doing any recording when the new patch goes live ? Im going to miss out on the 1st 2 weeks or so the patch is up and would love to see what i can look forward to.

Well I've been playing for the past couple days, and it's pretty fun. I need to get into the Stars of Destiny linkshell though. Who should I contact in-game?

Teknoman

Nakazato said:
Yo Tek i was wondering if you ill be doing any recording when the new patch goes live ? Im going to miss out on the 1st 2 weeks or so the patch is up and would love to see what i can look forward to.

Definitely. If everything runs as smoothly as i'm hoping, i'll finally have more than one video up on my Eorzean adventures playlist.

EDIT: All this talk about Street Fighter...I need to jump back in SSFIV AE. Havent played since the day I downloaded...

zlatko

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Zlaaaaatkoooooooooooooooo

Let's play FF14, then play SF4.

And then some SC2, followed up by Bad Company 2. :p That's where I've been spending my time across Gaf.

I'm eager for this update though. FFXI player for 6 years, was beyond hyped for 14, had my dreams crushed at the reality, and now I'm patiently waiting although I'm not that optimistic.

I'll check what server I'm on, but if it's as easy to level as you guys say, then I may just reroll and grind it out for 2 days.

Jinko

Nakazato said:

If I remember I'll frap the level 50 dungeon, dont' think tek will get to do that one for a while.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
zlatko said:
Logged on after remembering my log in stuff, and was experiencing serious lag and unsure why. I didn't have issues with that back in beta and early retail, so I'll have to tweak some settings to see what was the cause.

Yeah, I'm having this issue as well. My computer has never had any trouble running this game in the past, and suddenly after a couple of updates it's laggy as shit, no matter how much I downgrade my settings. Help?

EDIT: Well, I've not downgraded them to rock bottom, but I went from 1080p windowed to 720p windowed, lowered the draw from 5 to 3, same with shadows, disabled depth of field etc.

Buttons

Between Beta and now they changed the game settings drastically. Go into your FFXIV config and play around with the settings.

General Drawing Quality etc. was not there in Beta. After it was introduced we all had to tweak our settings again a bit. But you have way more options now and in the end, you can actually manage to pay the game on a PC that might not have run it as well during beta. :)

Munba

Before it was impossible for me to turn on Ambient Occlusion but now it goes ok (no fps drop) if i put 'background quality' to lv8 standard. In any case i hope they fix performance because i would like to put all at max (my video card would permit it -Ati Radeon 5850-).

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Yeah, I just checked with a couple of other games. Starcraft 2, Portal 2, absolutely no problems at the highest settings. But FFXIV is lagging like a bitch, and it never used to. It's gotta be the server I'm on. (Wutai)

Sin

RurouniZel said:
Yeah, I just checked with a couple of other games. Starcraft 2, Portal 2, absolutely no problems at the highest settings. But FFXIV is lagging like a bitch, and it never used to. It's gotta be the server I'm on. (Wutai)

Hey, another Wutai player! :D

What's your ingame name?

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
Definitely. If everything runs as smoothly as i'm hoping, i'll finally have more than one video up on my Eorzean adventures playlist.
Jinko said:
If I remember I'll frap the level 50 dungeon, dont' think tek will get to do that one for a while.
Thanks guys. :)

frequency

I played a bunch more but kind of hit a wall.

Besides my chest piece (which I got from a quest), I'm still in starter equipment.
If I want better equipment am I basically looking at either paying the way-too-high prices people are selling stuff for (which I'm not even close to being able to afford), or leveling like every DoL and DoH class so I can make my own stuff?

Is there a steady way to "farm" gil? Starting this late, while everyone else is high level and rich, seems to have been a bad idea. I can't afford anything :(

It's too bad because I'm really enjoying the game. I just can't progress any further.

Darte

frequency said:
I played a bunch more but kind of hit a wall.

Besides my chest piece (which I got from a quest), I'm still in starter equipment.
If I want better equipment am I basically looking at either paying the way-too-high prices people are selling stuff for (which I'm not even close to being able to afford), or leveling like every DoL and DoH class so I can make my own stuff?

Is there a steady way to "farm" gil? Starting this late, while everyone else is high level and rich, seems to have been a bad idea. I can't afford anything :(

It's too bad because I'm really enjoying the game. I just can't progress any further.

Pick up a DoH job and sell items + do leves for money. It'll be slower leveling up but you'll make some pocket money in the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom