• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

frequency

Darte said:
Pick up a DoH job and sell items + do leves for money. It'll be slower leveling up but you'll make some pocket money in the mean time.
Thanks for the tip. Maybe it's just my server or something, but...
I've been leveling both Botanist and Mining. I got them both to ~10ish. Doing a quick search in the wards, it looks like even if I sold everything I got, I may just barely be able to afford a weapon upgrade. I didn't even bother to look at the rest of my equipment.

It looks like I'll have to spend like 3x more time getting gil than actually leveling my combat jobs. I hope I don't get bored with the game because of this.

I think I read somewhere that they were looking at reworking the recipes in a future update? It would be nice if the recipes didn't require stuff from every DoL and DoH job/class.

I started a bit on Carpenter, but the only thing I can make without other jobs are planks and stuff...

Darte

The real money lies in higher level mats, which you start getting around 30ish but nothing reliable until 40ish.

I don't know about the economy on your server but I can rake in a couple of hundred K every mining session [which lasts from 0 to full gathering fatigue (not surplus)]

Edit: What I've done since launch is level 1 main craft [goldsmith], 1 main DoL job [Mining], and 2 classes that share most equipment [Conjurer and Thaumaturge].
About 2 months ago, I started leveling Tanner and Weaver as well just so I could repair my own stuff and eventually make my own things.

Gsmith allowed me to repair and create my own accessories as well as thm weapons.
Mining allowed me to rake in serious cash and supplies to level gsmith.
Tanning and Weaving I both leveled because I could repair the cloth and leather armor for my DoM DoH and DoL jobs.

The only thing I ever needed repairs in were my goldsmith hammer, mining pick,conjurer weapon and the occasional armorcraft shield.

Through these cost cutting measures and the money I get from DoL, I rarely need to spend money on anything since I can just create whatever I need.

When I level a DoW job eventually, I'll probably do armorcraft/bsmith in tandem just to keep up with savings. Just think what jobs you are going to level and see what DoL and DoH jobs can fit with it.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
If I remember I'll frap the level 50 dungeon, dont' think tek will get to do that one for a while.

Yeah put things on hold because of the new combat system coming/class adjustments/etc. If the new combat basics and other things play out nicely though, that'll give me the drive to really level up (hopefully in a party).

Not to mention this will be a totally different game after all the improvements.

frequency

Darte said:
The real money lies in higher level mats, which you start getting around 30ish but nothing reliable until 40ish.

I don't know about the economy on your server but I can rake in a couple of hundred K every mining session [which lasts from 0 to full gathering fatigue (not surplus)]

Edit: What I've done since launch is level 1 main craft [goldsmith], 1 main DoL job [Mining], and 2 classes that share most equipment [Conjurer and Thaumaturge].
About 2 months ago, I started leveling Tanner and Weaver as well just so I could repair my own stuff and eventually make my own things.

Gsmith allowed me to repair and create my own accessories as well as thm weapons.
Mining allowed me to rake in serious cash and supplies to level gsmith.
Tanning and Weaving I both leveled because I could repair the cloth and leather armor for my DoM DoH and DoL jobs.

The only thing I ever needed repairs in were my goldsmith hammer, mining pick,conjurer weapon and the occasional armorcraft shield.

Through these cost cutting measures and the money I get from DoL, I rarely need to spend money on anything since I can just create whatever I need.

When I level a DoW job eventually, I'll probably do armorcraft/bsmith in tandem just to keep up with savings. Just think what jobs you are going to level and see what DoL and DoH jobs can fit with it.
Unfortunately, it seems like it's one of those things where I need to advance to make gil, but I can't advance because I need gil.

Currently, I can't even do some of the leves at the second aetheryte. I suppose I'm just not very good. But the monsters hit me for just as much as I hit them, and I'm always fighting at least 2 at a time for these leves. So I either need to hit harder (new weapon), or take less damage (new armour). But I can't afford either. I'm looking at some recipes, but they all need stuff from multiple DoH jobs.

I guess I just need to be patient and chip away at the high costs by selling my low level DoL materials until I can afford better equipment.
It's kind of weird. I heard this was easier than FFXI, which I had no problems whatsoever playing back when I did. Maybe the small population thing really hurts beginners this late into the game.

I really do appreciate the advice though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
frequency said:
Unfortunately, it seems like it's one of those things where I need to advance to make gil, but I can't advance because I need gil.
Did you roll on Lindblum? I can provide you with equipment if you need it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
In other news, I've made another 'shop featuring our favorite community morbol.

4W46L.jpg

frequency

Rentahamster said:
Did you roll on Lindblum? I can provide you with equipment if you need it.
No, I did Besaid. Even though I wanted to be with the rest of GAF, of all the servers I tried that was the only one where people actually seemed to talk.

Thanks for the offer though. :)

EDIT: I'm being told to just sell the low level materials to an NPC. I'm not being misled am I?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
frequency said:
EDIT: I'm being told to just sell the low level materials to an NPC. I'm not being misled am I?
Depends what they are. Some low level mats are worth a lot to other players, others not so much.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oh btw.

The SQUARE ENIX Account Management System Maintenance will be unavailable due to maintenance at the following time.
Certain functions will be unavailable during certain periods of time. Please see below for additional details.

* From July 25, 2011 20:00 to July 26, 2011 3:30 (PDT)
- FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.
- Login to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone will not be possible.

* From July 25, 2011 21:00 to July 26, 2011 2:30 (PDT)
- The SQUARE ENIX Account Management System will be unavailable.
- Login to the FINAL FANTASY XIV Forum will not be possible.

* Completion times may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV
- FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone
- SQUARE ENIX Account Management System

[Details]
System Maintenance

frequency

You guys are making me regret not rolling with GAF :(

But I'm sure all my problems will be solved when the PS3 version releases in 2 years!

EDIT: That sounded very whiny. I don't mean to be.

Nakazato

frequency said:

But I'm sure all my problems will be solved when the PS3 version releases in 2 years!

start over and roll with us.

fake Edit:

One of us One of US

Gromph

Staff Member
Rentahamster said:
In other news, I've made another 'shop featuring our favorite community morbol.

4W46L.jpg

Bethany is disapointed on you :p

Coldsnap

frequency said:

Yea you should re-roll over with us. Battle classes are so easy to level up and I can help you replace your equipment easily.

Munba

Official translation of yoshi-p post about swimming and stuff,

Hi, this is Yoshida, the producer/director.

Thank you for the discussion!
I’m sorry about any confusion that was caused due to my lack of input.

Regarding implementing the ability to move freely on the same level as an Assassin's Creed title, we have no plans of actually implementing this from a game design and cost standpoint. However, it would be possible to implement movements similar to other MMOs. For example, in other games it is possible to reach high places by jumping up against the terrain...

We would like to try to implement swimming by adding underwater areas in expansion packs, although this will require adding an incredible number of swimming animations to be created. Features built around the water in EverQuest were very fresh at the time. (Although I drowned so many times… I raised my skills safely at the fountain… Before that, I died so many times by starting as Wood Elf.) I think that underwater temple raids would be fun, so I would like to implement this concept along with the ability to swim.

frequency

Underwater dungeons nooooooooooooo!

I might re-roll on the GAF server. I'm a little attached to my current character, but I'm not very far so it won't be a huge thing to start over. I wouldn't ask for any freebies from anyone though. I just like how everyone here has been so nice despite my stupid questions.

EDIT: Speaking of dumb questions... there's no way to check what other people are selling stuff for in the wards from the retainer bell thing is there? So I have to run back and forth to properly price my stuff?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
carlo6529 said:
Just curious, is this game still in shambles? And be honest.

Yes but there is a patch in 3-4 days that will add a lot of stuff.

But yeah they game will still be in shambles.

run away

Teknoman

carlo6529 said:
Just curious, is this game still in shambles? And be honest.

It'll be less shambly come this Thursday/Friday.

Also

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/137

Read up on whats happened/whats going on/whats to come.

Hi, this is Yoshida, the producer/director.

First of all, chocobos will not be implemented through a single update only, but will be implemented through a gradual process of content iteration (excluding Chocobo rentals)

Here is a simplified plan:
1. Calling a personal chocobo
2. Riding a personal chocobo
3. Walking next to a personal chocobo
4. Raising and dressing up a personal chocobo
5. Fighting with the help of a personal chocobo

I created this plan myself, but some features are not possible to implement at this moment. It would take way too long to implement everything at once, so we plan on implementing this bit by bit, starting with numbers 1 and 2. This is the plan for patch 1.19. More details will be revealed later in an upcoming letter.

Regarding pet classes, from summoning pets to taming, we are still in the preliminary planning stages, so we don't know which direction we're going to start with yet. Either way would be fine. We still need to do all the battle-related adjustments, class balance adjustments, and implement the job system first before anything else, so we will be looking at any ideas you have for us.

If cultivation is implemented, I would like to have gardens implemented as well. It would be nice to have a garden in front of your house, so let’s test this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUE32J43_wg

Yoshi and his team seem like they want to go full steam ahead after this update...just hope there isnt such a huge gap, especially since he's been saying they'll be alot faster with updates after the new battle system base is implemented.

Also Renta delivers as always.

frequency

I caved and created a character on Lindblum. Would anyone in the GAF Linkshell mind heading all the way out to Gridania (or wasting your precious Anima!) to give me a Linkpearl please?

My name is Siena Remi.

Also, I had no idea there were moogles in Eorzea!

Teknoman

Btw everyone, we still have a steam group that was supposed to be for XI and XIV...so hopefully we'll see more XIV people after the next few updates lol.

Yuripaw

Banned
How do I get into that steam group tek? I haven't really had the time to play FFXI, or FFXIV, but once I finish moving at the beginning of August, I'm planning to play at least one of them. I haven't played FFXIV since launch really, but with the updates, I'd like to check it out.

My steam name is Yuripaw also.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
frequency said:
I caved and created a character on Lindblum. Would anyone in the GAF Linkshell mind heading all the way out to Gridania (or wasting your precious Anima!) to give me a Linkpearl please?

My name is Siena Remi.

Also, I had no idea there were moogles in Eorzea!
Cool, you can just take a look around and see what servers you like better. I mean, making alts is free afterall, so you might as well take advantage of it.

Gromph

Staff Member
I think patch will be delayed. :(

Is 2 days ahead and still no maintenance news.

Gromph

Staff Member
Introducing Settlements

The Black Shroud

Buscarron's Fold

A solitary shack situated at a glade along the Lumberline and serving as a watch house, the care of which has been passed down through the Buscarron line for generations. To this day, members of the family keep vigil over the road’s security, all the while maintaining a life of self-sufficiency.

956_0.jpg

The Hawthorne Hut

A trappers' hut named for the legendary Hawthorne, scourge of the mountains. Now residing there is his descendant Rolfe, a retired adventurer of some repute, who is joined by his loving wife and daughter. Together they welcome all travelers with open arms and heartfelt hospitality.

956_1.jpg

La Noscea

Halfstone

A young colony established on the Vylbrand frontier, named for the rocky stuff that pervades its soil. Owing to the backbreaking efforts of resourceful settlers, what little arable land that exists was made to yield a modest crop of fruits and yams alongside lavender and other rugged native species.

956_2.jpg

Red Rooster Stead

Established by a botanist as an experimental farm, the homestead hosts myriad agricultural undertakings such as the selective breeding of livestock and the research of foreign produce. Its proximity to kobold territory has given the residents no recourse but to turn to pirates for protection.

956_3.jpg

Thanalan

Mythril Pit T-8

The site of a mythril prospecting operation under the management of Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern. Miners and guardsmen alike have taken up residence in the lone habitable structure there, an abandoned inn that had not seen use since hostilities erupted with the Amalj’aa.

956_4.jpg

The Coffer & Coffin

An inn frequented by trade caravans, its name derived from a folk song which tells of an optimistic man bound for Ul’dah. The traveler drags along a stout chest, which will become either a coffer to hold his winnings from the gambling dens, or a coffin to bear his own lifeless corpse home.

956_5.jpg

In addition to the above, beast tribe settlements will also be implemented in patch 1.18. And by way of a sneak preview, imposing strongholds and larger settlements of the beastman persuasion are slated to appear in 1.19—a development that could only bode ill for the peace and prosperity of Eorzea.

Teknoman

Gromph said:
I think patch will be delayed. :(

Is 2 days ahead and still no maintenance news.

Dont we get maintenance news right before the patch day?

EDIT:

In addition to the above, beast tribe settlements will also be implemented in patch 1.18.

Good lord, thats a big patch. Well if anything...looks like there will be a decent amount of new stuff to do.

Gromph

Staff Member
Teknoman said:
Dont we get maintenance news right before the patch day?

EDIT:

In addition to the above, beast tribe settlements will also be implemented in patch 1.18.

Good lord, thats a big patch. Well if anything...looks like there will be a decent amount of new stuff to do.

Yeah a load of things to do!.

I'm 31 quest away to complete all, i should make they before patch.

Munba

This was pretty unexpected to appear for 1.18 (the XI letter said this had to be in 1.19).. really excited about it. :D

Teknoman

Hopefully some equipment revamps and a few other skill revamps hit in 1.18 too.

EDIT: Btw what does Red Dot stand for anyway, or should I just stick with the Stars of Destiny title for LS videos? Red Dot puts me in the mind of Mars for some reason (I guess because blue dot = earth?)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
EDIT: Btw what does Red Dot stand for anyway, or should I just stick with the Stars of Destiny title for LS videos? Red Dot puts me in the mind of Mars for some reason (I guess because blue dot = earth?)
"Red Dot" is an ironic name since our LS symbol is actually a blue dot. And now that I've explained the joke, it's totally not funny anymore THANKS A LOT, TEKNO (lol)

Call the videos whatever you want, I don't think anyone really cares, haha.

edit: that's odd, I can't access the forums anymore.

edit: nevermind.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
"Red Dot" is an ironic name since our LS symbol is actually a blue dot. And now that I've explained the joke, it's totally not funny anymore THANKS A LOT, TEKNO (lol)

Call the videos whatever you want, I don't think anyone really cares, haha.

Sad_Little_Moogle_sketch_by_sinclair13.jpg

Gromph

Staff Member
Teknoman said:
lol actually I think you told me that before, and I forgot since i'm in patch hype mode again.

I don't think Yoshi-P will disappoint us this time.

Munba

Mmh dunno why they still not showed beastmen settlements at this point.. we can expect a preview tomorrow? Or it'll be a surprise when we are in game? :D I'm for the latter one eheh

Gromph

Staff Member
Here we GO!

At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV to implement patch 1.18. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after release of the patch.

* Patch download rates may vary depending on server congestion.

* Comprehensive patch notes will be posted on the Lodestone the day of the patch's release.

[Date & Time]
Jul. 21, 2011 from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. (PDT)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Riposte

The joke would be funnier if the linkshell color was red. Then it would be a reference rather than something "ironic".

Ravidrath

Beast Tribe settlements, eh?

Think we'll finally get to see a Sahagin, then?

And what's a Kobold settlement like? Just a dirt mound with a door?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom