• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown Soldier said:
Squenix is really late in lowering gil gain. People who played since launch have 10+ million gil, the hardcore crafters easily have 50-100 million gil, so I don't know what the hell they are doing lowering gil gain for new players after it's way, way too late. Well, a lot of those people have quit anyways.

I'm sitting on about 30 million gil with most crafting and gathering jobs at 25-30+. I think it will level out eventually if the game survives long enough but those that started out early definitely have the advantage.

Took a little getting used to, especially for multiple enemy encounters, but I'm really digging the revamped combat. Still haven't gotten a chance to check out the Grand Company quests yet since it took so long to log onto Rabanastre. Will give 'er the go around tonight. Really liking all the changes so far. Did have a career THM friend threaten severe violence on the next small animal he came across though XD

Luigi87

Been slowly following this thread, and I have a char on Lindblum I've played for a few hours, perhaps I shall check things out.
...after that there patch downloads.

Jinko

Hmm I gota find time to do these quests, was hoping I could just jump on and find a group to do a dungeon but no such luck.

Teknoman

I'll be up for some Toto-rak runs after I get off work (finally got to use the friends list late night too lol). Either that or just general party combat testing/running around to check out new areas.

Gotta love XIV being the MMO, and having a classic FF victory fanfare+pose cutscene after boss battles when XIII didnt. Its closer to XII than anything in that aspect, but still welcome.

gillty

Banned
Logged in last night for the first time since October, like all the UI changes that make it feel like its a PC Game from at least the last decade. Also like the search ward function, and in general all the little changes they made to the interface.

However, I have zero idea of how to play this game anymore, and kinda confused of what I should be doing. I heard leves are getting revamped next patch so maybe I'll try to get back in then.

Hulud

So the GAF linkshell is not Stars of Destiny anymore? Is it Red Dot? I think I'll hop on for a bit tonight to grab a pearl if that's okay.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hulud said:
So the GAF linkshell is not Stars of Destiny anymore? Is it Red Dot? I think I'll hop on for a bit tonight to grab a pearl if that's okay.

Because of the stupid lack of LS administration options, specifically the 128 member limit and the inability to kick inactive members, we've remade the LS twice now, changing the name each time

scotcheggz

Renta, you have any luck with the ogre? We got to him a few times legit tonight, then figured out you can just train to him in about 10 minutes. When you wipe the first try, how did you deal with the pull on subsequent tries? We had a bit of trouble with that, but basically had a MRD run in first to get initial aggro of the adds, whilst the rest of the group piled in behind getting to centre ASAP, GLA pulling off the MRD on the way. It was messy though.

jiggle

crafting is boring as ever!
at least it's way more efficient now

for craft leves
anyone know if the sp reward is the same regardless if u complete the minimum or make extras?

edit: nope, just tested it, same sp+guild point reward regardless how many items i turned in

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
scotcheggz said:
Renta, you have any luck with the ogre? We got to him a few times legit tonight, then figured out you can just train to him in about 10 minutes. When you wipe the first try, how did you deal with the pull on subsequent tries? We had a bit of trouble with that, but basically had a MRD run in first to get initial aggro of the adds, whilst the rest of the group piled in behind getting to centre ASAP, GLA pulling off the MRD on the way. It was messy though.
Notice that the bogys follow a pattern depending on where the Ogre is. Just make sure the tank(s) have solid hate on the Ogre, and lead him to wherever the bogys are not

Babalu.

Does anyone know what:

The difference between Targeting Type A and C is. Doesn't seem to change anything.
What is Direct Targeting?
What is Auto Target Lock?
Is there anyway to turn off just your name, but leave everyone else's on?

thanks!

Teknoman

Naka, i'll try to do another totorak video tonight. I have no idea what happened, but fraps was giving me strange frame drops and then windows movie maker decided to just black out the rest of my video.

Valru said:
Logged in last night for the first time since October, like all the UI changes that make it feel like its a PC Game from at least the last decade. Also like the search ward function, and in general all the little changes they made to the interface.

However, I have zero idea of how to play this game anymore, and kinda confused of what I should be doing. I heard leves are getting revamped next patch so maybe I'll try to get back in then.

Head to the companies to get quests for exp and party quests for dungeons, do normal quests for exp, solo guildleves, and attempt to party in the field for standard exp (not optimal yet since thats still undergoing adjustments, 1.18 is just like the new foundation for a better building).

jemkTs.jpg

I seriously cannot get this dungeon music out of my head.

Teknoman

Also Dega if possible, could you come online and make me a pearl sack holder? I keep getting tells from people that want in, but I cant help em...and Renta's crew is knee deep in ogre.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Babalu. said:
Does anyone know what:

The difference between Targeting Type A and C is. Doesn't seem to change anything.
What is Direct Targeting?
What is Auto Target Lock?
Is there anyway to turn off just your name, but leave everyone else's on?

thanks!
Targeting Type A lets you always target party members via up and down, while switching target modes via run+button on the controller

Type C is the targeting mode that we had in the very beginning. (target all)

Direct Targeting is when you press the a or x button and target the first thing in front of you, regardless of targeting mode

Auto target lock is when you attack a mob and it auto locks the camera for you

There is no way to turn off just your own name.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Teknoman said:
Also Dega if possible, could you come online and make me a pearl sack holder? I keep getting tells from people that want in, but I cant help em...and Renta's crew is knee deep in ogre.

Ah, yeah later today i guess. Prob give rental, shi or rat my password too.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
That didn't take long.

They've still got a ways to go. Apparently thats the first boss in the dungeon. Toto-Rak looks like more of a maze style dungeon with 3 end bosses, Darkhold is more straight forward...in the beginning anyway according to impressions (im not high enough yet of course lol).

Munba

I really like the music track in the dungeon that change dynamically in a different version when in battle.

Jinko

Ok so is there a way to look for a party and add yourself to some kind of list.

I been playing around with the party system and it seems you can only look for members but not appear to look for a party.

God seriously !! I would have hoped that they had sorted this out for the raids/dungeons at least.

Jinko

Keiician said:
Reading this made me sad.

Guild leves seem really good now IMO, I was soloing them for 5-6k each using guardians aspect of course, and I have heard the rank 45 quests give up to 40k+ sp on completion.

I agree with the targeting and changing of the action bars though, really really annoying.

Not sure about the speed of the game, seems about the same for mages as we don't rely on auto attack. (that being said they nerfed the tits out of THM and mana consumption is through the roof now)

Agree with much of what the guy says in the post, there is A LOT of stuff that needs addressing still, saying that the game does feel like it is getting a bit more purpose now and I'm glad to see the dungeon bosses are fairly hard too.

Lack of any party search features still is a huge turn off for me, most of Red Dot are from the US and I don't get to play at the same times etc, so I just wana be able to jump on find a random group and run an instance (hopefully this is sorted in the next patch)

jiggle

i like the sp reward part too
esp since the bonus sp from before felt pretty minimal to me

the gil/item reward part is sooooo broken though
this is so NOT the way to fix it
now the game is even less friendly to new players

soloing on conj felt dif now
can't rely on sp free attack and can't spam cure anymore
now it's just mindless spamming of nukes

sad that i can't enter those new dungeons solo :<

anima management still sucks

game is still gorgeous

i sorta am enjoying the game again though
after 7 months break
but doubt it'll last if 1.21 doesn't get here fast

saw renta on my lindblum mule earlier :eek:

Teknoman

/shrug

I get TP just fine using auto attack, and can often use several moves with attacks happening in between. Its no where near as hectic as before, but its not XI slow either.

Also with all the TP generating abilities or other abilities you have in XIV, you really dont have a time when you arent doing anything...unless thats a strategy in the fight/you wasted all your stuff spamming and are on cooldowns for everything. Dont forget to use throwing weapons as well.

Much better party search functions do need to be added asap, but I know they are still working on that, as well as adjusting the new battle system now that the foundation is set. So far, it does seem like they are on the right path though.

EDIT: Not to mention people have to learn how to play all over again now. I think thats burning some people as well.

Munba

Playing a bit on combat side and i like the new combat system, i'm not finding it slow really (far from the FF11 slowness).

It seems there are Garlean Troops around the world, randomly appear here and there :D

frequency

jiggle said:
i like the sp reward part too
esp since the bonus sp from before felt pretty minimal to me

the gil/item reward part is sooooo broken though
this is so NOT the way to fix it
now the game is even less friendly to new players

soloing on conj felt dif now
can't rely on sp free attack and can't spam cure anymore
now it's just mindless spamming of nukes

sad that i can't enter those new dungeons solo :<

anima management still sucks

game is still gorgeous

i sorta am enjoying the game again though
after 7 months break
but doubt it'll last if 1.21 doesn't get here fast

saw renta on my lindblum mule earlier :eek:
That part made me real sad. I am a new player who has like no gil. With the lowered rewards, the annoying to use ward/retainer system (for selling purposes), and everyone who can craft anything I can wear being rich and therefore not selling stuff at prices I can afford, I'm really discouraged. Since the only real way to get equipment (at least at my levels) is to buy it, I'm kind of screwed. I guess my alternative is to level all the DoH and DoL jobs! Ugh...
I imagine other new players are in the same situation as me. Which is great because we want the gap between new and old players to be as big as possible so it scares away all us newbies!...

But anyway, I like the auto attack. I don't care if it feels slower. I prefer it this way. Spamming a button to do basic attack wasn't at all fun for me. I'm still finding things to enjoy about the game and will stick with it for now. Hopefully they will address the issues I have with the ward/retainer system and make it friendlier to new players in the upcoming patches.

The official FFXIV forums are really sad. Anyone who complains about anything gets mobbed by the "fans" who seem intent on encouraging the devs to make the game as hard to get into as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom