• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Dega said:
You on right now? I'm gonna log on in 20 minutes.

Late reply, but I can log on now.

As far as no gil, I havent really looked at the new quest rewards...but I think they lowered npc selling prices as well as the npc that sells stuff inside the weapon section of the ward.

frequency said:
The official FFXIV forums are really sad. Anyone who complains about anything gets mobbed by the "fans" who seem intent on encouraging the devs to make the game as hard to get into as they can.

Not always, its just some issues people are a little more touchy over. I put forth a topic complaining about the level gap between scenario missions, and even though I got a few "lol thats too easy" posts, most were pretty constructive. Kinda nice that they actually decided to lower some of the required ranks too.

On the other hand, some aspects of the game did need to be more challenging. I havent done any guildleves, but until people start selling low rank items again, the best place to get them will probably be leve rewards, weapon ward section npc shop, or exchanging company seals.

zlatko

Banned
I've been playing most of today and enjoying myself. The crafting changes, fighting changes, content in the form of quests outside of just leves, and overall changes to the game world like music and monsters is more in line with what I thought the game would be like when I first played beta.

It still has big strides to go, but the changes made thus far are significant ones that make the game better as a whole.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Seriously, FFS. I logged for the first time in a week and decided to do the main story quest Together We Stand, as its requirement was lowered.

I finally got to the Gridania camp from where I was supposed to get to one point on the map unnoticed and then retrace my footsteps back to the camp, again, unnoticed.
After 20 minutes of boring running in mostly empty corridors of Grid's forest and almost coming back with the stuff that I was supposed to take I got out of my companion's "instance circle" because I was talking with a friend from my LS.

Guess that's enough XIV for me until 1.19.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Teknoman said:
Late reply, but I can log on now.

As far as no gil, I havent really looked at the new quest rewards...but I think they lowered npc selling prices as well as the npc that sells stuff inside the weapon section of the ward.

Not always, its just some issues people are a little more touchy over. I put forth a topic complaining about the level gap between scenario missions, and even though I got a few "lol thats too easy" posts, most were pretty constructive. Kinda nice that they actually decided to lower some of the required ranks too.

On the other hand, some aspects of the game did need to be more challenging. I havent done any guildleves, but until people start selling low rank items again, the best place to get them will probably be leve rewards, weapon ward section npc shop, or exchanging company seals.

Ah, you'll have to ask Coldsnap now since I can't log in to my account anymore without the system forcing me to change the password.

Keiician said:
Seriously, FFS. I logged for the first time in a week and decided to do the main story quest Together We Stand, as its requirement was lowered.

I finally got to the Gridania camp from where I was supposed to get to one point on the map unnoticed and then retrace my footsteps back to the camp, again, unnoticed.
After 20 minutes of boring running in mostly empty corridors of Grid's forest and almost coming back with the stuff that I was supposed to take I got out of my companion's "instance circle" because I was talking with a friend from my LS.

Guess that's enough XIV for me until 1.19.

The story missions are some of the worst things I've ever seen in an MMOG, and that's saying something. The decision to make the crafting and gathering classes "full jobs" equal to the battle classes for the purposes of the story is mind-boggling in it's utter stupidity, because ALL of the story missions are designed so you can solo them without ever fighting a single thing. All of them. Because the crafting and gathering classes are supposed to be able to do them too. This is true from the very first intro battle, all the way until the very last story mission currently in the game.

Squenix evidently decided that they could save money by only have the spoken language of the game be in English, and the JP players read subtitles. This is kind of ironic considering English speakers are used to reading subtitles when watching anime or playing games where they didn't dub the dialogue into English. However, Squenix also intentionally made it so cutscenes are almost entirely unvoiced, with the sole exceptions of the opening CGI cutscene, and the new character opening itself, to make up for this decision. However it's hard to have a substantial cutscene where you purposely make sure no one says anything other then grunting and screaming. So, with the exception of the impressive opening sequence when you first start a new character, cutscenes are all 10 seconds long to show a bit of action, then you stand there and talk to an NPC in an unvoiced dialog box which you read, then that's it. For a company which has given us some of the most elaborate cutscenes known to man, and 2 movies which are literally 90 minutes long Final Fantasy cutscenes (The Spirits Within and Advent Children), the utter disappointment which is this game's cutscenes makes the story missions even more laughable and worthless.

Teknoman

Yeah dunno what they were thinking with that. And it sucks since some of the story mode cutscenes are actually pretty good (minor amount but still). They seem to be making improvements with the dungeon intro scenes/boss intro scenes (at least in toto-rak, cant comment on darkhold). But yeah, definitely could be alot better...not sure if they'll end up redoing the way early missions work though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Well, the cutscenes are not that bad imo, the thing is... Why do I have to walk with a companion who does nothing (and the enemies in this mission don't even notice him/her) except for limiting me by being in the centre of the instance circle.
And why does this damn road has to be so long and boring. I hate Gridania.

Well, to be fair, there is a section of players that just want to experience the story and don't want to have to play a combat class.

They basically made the game where you can level up with only crafting.. which is something that no other game has done in my recollection. It would make more sense if they tailored the difficulty of the events to what kind of class you are playing.. but obviously they didn't take it that far.

Teknoman

Keiician said:
Well, the cutscenes are not that bad imo, the thing is... Why do I have to walk with a companion who does nothing (and the enemies in this mission don't even notice him/her) except for limiting me by being in the centre of the instance circle.
And why does this damn road has to be so long and boring. I hate Gridania.

Its supposed to have some environment changes, but no one knows when. Cant come soon enough though.

Robobandit said:
Well, to be fair, there is a section of players that just want to experience the story and don't want to have to play a combat class.

They basically made the game where you can level up with only crafting.. which is something that no other game has done in my recollection. It would make more sense if they tailored the difficulty of the events to what kind of class you are playing.. but obviously they didn't take it that far.

That's terrible, would you have accepted a single-player Final Fantasy title where you didn't have to fight anything? Come on. The story missions are a joke. We had more story development in the first zone of Tera than I did in all of FFXIV!

jiggle

frequency said:
That part made me real sad. I am a new player who has like no gil. With the lowered rewards, the annoying to use ward/retainer system (for selling purposes), and everyone who can craft anything I can wear being rich and therefore not selling stuff at prices I can afford, I'm really discouraged. Since the only real way to get equipment (at least at my levels) is to buy it, I'm kind of screwed. I guess my alternative is to level all the DoH and DoL jobs! Ugh...
I imagine other new players are in the same situation as me. Which is great because we want the gap between new and old players to be as big as possible so it scares away all us newbies!...

certainly not like the glory days of leve rewards
but looks like you can get a few ok pieces from doing quests

http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/103133-New-Sidequests-(3-3-11-Update)
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/104043-New-Sidequests-(4-14-11-Update)

Unknown Soldier said:
That's terrible, would you have accepted a single-player Final Fantasy title where you didn't have to fight anything? Come on. The story missions are a joke. We had more story development in the first zone of Tera than I did in all of FFXIV!

That is true, though we couldn't understand any of it.. and from what I hear the quality of it is questionable at best.

In FF XIV, the story is far more spread out than it is in Tera.. and that is one of their problems.

My point was mainly that players were given an alternate way to progress through levels in the game that did not involve combat. I think that is an approach that more games should take.

After all, this is a mmorpg.. there should be flexibility in how players develop their characters. If someone wants to play the role of a blacksmith in the world of Eorzea without also having to be a combat class, then they should be able to.

The converse side to this is that the design decisions that allow for that style of play shouldn't be detrimental to the fun of people who do want to play combat classes.

We all know that this game was not and is not finished, even though you can make it to the level cap. They underestimated the ability and determination of a small group of players who would grind their way to the level cap come hell or high water.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Robobandit said:
My point was mainly that players were given an alternate way to progress through levels in the game that did not involve combat. I think that is an approach that more games should take.
I agree with you in the sense that alternate ways to progress are nice. However, I think the way SE implemented this was all wrong, due to the problems that Unknown elaborated on.

There should be a separate story mode for crafters and gatherers to follow that involves actual crafting and gathering and puzzle solving.

The storyline for battle classes that involves fighting should consist of, well, actual fights.

Rentahamster said:
I agree with you in the sense that alternate ways to progress are nice. However, I think the way SE implemented this was all wrong, due to the problems that Unknown elaborated on.

There should be a separate story mode for crafters and gatherers to follow that involves actual crafting and gathering and puzzle solving.

The storyline for battle classes that involves fighting should consist of, well, actual fights.

I agree with this.

What SE has done was take away from everyone else's experience for the sake of players who are playing classes that can't fight.

Robobandit said:
We all know that this game was not and is not finished, even though you can make it to the level cap. They underestimated the ability and determination of a small group of players who would grind their way to the level cap come hell or high water.

The game has now been out for almost a year. You can't blame it's problems on hardcore players at this point, and there isn't anything else to DO except grind in the game anyways!

Robobandit said:
I agree with this.

What SE has done was take away from everyone else's experience for the sake of players who are playing classes that can't fight.

Yes, that's the point I was making. My thinking is they need to either create an entire alternate story questline for non-battle classes, or just say fuck it and completely redo the story questlines so that battles are required. Really huge, epic battles against gigantic bosses with vaguely Latin-sounding names. Because that's what Final Fantasy is supposed to be about, not whatever the hell FFXIV was about.

Again, the fact that the game has been available for almost a year and nothing at all has been done to address this should be just a little concerning to the 16 people who are still playing this game.

Riposte

I like the new songs and like how they added a secondary theme to the fields.

Also really liked the "Shot Through the Heart" quest from Limsa Lominsa. Intriguing and uses echo. Haven't found a good counterpart for the other city-states yet. The company quests have been good too, but unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to do the raid tonight. The r25 and r45 raids aside, I think I got most of the quests done, but then again I am only r25.

Unknown Soldier said:
The game has now been out for almost a year. You can't blame it's problems on hardcore players at this point, and there isn't anything else to DO except grind in the game anyways!

I'm not saying this isn't the fault of square enix. I was saying that Square underestimated the hardcore gamers when they released a game that wasn't "finished" and had so little content.

Any sane person would have quit the second they realized they weren't having fun anymore.

I quit months ago.. I came back just recently since 1.18 came out because I want to see where they take the game. I want to believe they can salvage this game and turn it into something good.

Teknoman

They seem like they're trying to tie the company quests into the main storyline, but i'm not sure. The intro quest for the Ul'dahn company involved one of the white hair tattoo people from the main scenario, and that arcanist that was popping up at random locations a couple months back. Then Cid popped up later talking about Meteor.

Not sure how this is going to work out in the end though, since most SE MMO fans are used to only getting another story via an expansion.

Robobandit said:
I'm not saying this isn't the fault of square enix. I was saying that Square underestimated the hardcore gamers when they released a game that wasn't "finished" and had so little content.

That's not the problem, almost all MMOGs are released "unfinished" (content-incomplete), especially WRT endgame content. The problem is Squenix doing nothing for 3 months, firing the leadership, and then letting the game be operational for nearly a year while nothing apparently is happening.

I quit months ago.. I came back just recently since 1.18 came out because I want to see where they take the game. I want to believe they can salvage this game and turn it into something good.

I'm predicting they won't have salvaged this game into a usefully playable state before Diablo III, SWTOR, GW2, and Tera are released. Since you'll be with us for Tera NA/EU (right?), whether FFXIV is salvaged by then won't functionally matter all that much. We'll be too busy fighting OMGWTFBBQ bosses in Tera to care. :3

Jinko

Yoshi-p said that any continuation of the story will be DoW/DoM only didn't he, so whats the problem ?

They would be wise to go back though and make all story missions battle class only.

and that arcanist that was popping up at random locations a couple months back.

He is part of the grid company quests.

Hulud

Pardon my noob question but what rank do you have to be before joining a Grand Company? I can't find the info anywhere and when I try to sign up to the Uldah one, they say my flame doesn't burn bright enough and it hurts my fuckin feelings.

Jinko

Hulud said:
Pardon my noob question but what rank do you have to be before joining a Grand Company? I can't find the info anywhere and when I try to sign up to the Uldah one, they say my flame doesn't burn bright enough and it hurts my fuckin feelings.

I think the first quest was rank 22.

Kerrinck

Finally started playing the game.
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the game and the in-game help system is not that helpful. Can anyone recommend a good website to help me get started?
Also, anyone knows a good config to play it with a 360 pad?

Unknown Soldier said:
That's not the problem, almost all MMOGs are released "unfinished" (content-incomplete), especially WRT endgame content. The problem is Squenix doing nothing for 3 months, firing the leadership, and then letting the game be operational for nearly a year while nothing apparently is happening.

I'm predicting they won't have salvaged this game into a usefully playable state before Diablo III, SWTOR, GW2, and Tera are released. Since you'll be with us for Tera NA/EU (right?), whether FFXIV is salvaged by then won't functionally matter all that much. We'll be too busy fighting OMGWTFBBQ bosses in Tera to care. :3

Something is obviously happening, they are slow so that just indicates that this is a small team. I called it a long time ago. SE didn't devote serious resources to the project from jump, that is why changes have been so slow.

Riposte

I actually think their mistake was not making the hand and land disciplines sub-par combat classes. That is how I originally saw them, so I was definitely disappointed. I don't see why the party's blacksmith can't beat the shit out of some dudes with a hammer or at least cast a spell, relying more on abilities he learned from other classes(vice-versa too, I remember hearing that a blacksmith might do extra damage vs a construct enemy).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kerrinck said:
Finally started playing the game.
I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the game and the in-game help system is not that helpful. Can anyone recommend a good website to help me get started?
Also, anyone knows a good config to play it with a 360 pad?
Default config is fine.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/142-NEW-PLAYER-HELP

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/qanda02.html

Some of the info may be outdated.

Riposte said:
I remember hearing that a blacksmith might do extra damage vs a construct enemy).
That was the original plan, but it didn't make it into the final build for whatever reason. I suspect they just ran out of time and had to meet their launch date. Hilariously enough, if you look at the official FF14 website, it still says how miners do more damage against metal based mobs, and how pugilists have different stances, and can also steal. (They can't do any of those things)

Riposte

The dungeon music is indeed devilishly catchy. I really love how it switches between music themes. I want to see more of that.

What is the overall reception to the dungeons? The one I played reminds me of Assault, not so much of a WoW raids and whatnot.

Seems like it would be quite a challenge at rank 25, but most people are level 30 and in my party a dude DC'd(this looks like a huge problem?) so our leader went 50 for the boss. (What a traumatizing first time...)

On another note: This game is easily the most dirty/adult Final Fantasy ever. Not coincidentally, I find its world the most charming and interesting.

Kaper

Riposte said:
The dungeon music is indeed devilishly catchy. I really love how it switches between music themes. I want to see more of that.

What is the overall reception to the dungeons? The one I played reminds me of Assault, not so much of a WoW raids and whatnot.

Seems like it would be quite a challenge at rank 25, but most people are level 30 and in my party a dude DC'd(this looks like a huge problem?) so our leader went 50 for the boss. (What a traumatizing first time...)

On another note: This game is easily the most dirty/adult Final Fantasy ever. Not coincidentally, I find its world the most charming and interesting.

Indeed, the dungeon music is really awesome. The switching between combat/noncombat is really neat.

1000 Maws is pretty fun. I like how it feels fast paced, but then I look at the timer and realize I've spent nearly an hour getting to the Level III boss. I suppose the music helps a lot in this regard.

Same thing happened to me when my friend and I were doing our first 1000 Maws. He r0'd and we had to have someone switch to a 50 for the boss.

I totally agree with you, 14 is pretty dirty. It seems I picked a very promiscuous bisexual miqo'te storyline companion who never stops the sexual innuendo in her dialogue.

And now for a totally unrelated picture:
sTxesl.jpg

zlatko

Banned
So the other day I posted I was having issues right off the bat with game performance, and then I realized that during beta/first few months of retail I got around that simply by running the game in windowed mode.

Is this the case for most of you as well? There was another thread here on GAF just yesterday that actually seems to point that the problem where games stutter and chop when in full screen is an issue with ATI cards only.

Just curious what others do.

Riposte said:

No doubt. On top of other examples, I just completed the Immortal Flames GC quest "Arms Race" and I literally lol'd when one of the NPCs you have to speak to was more than willing to sign a contract with an organization backed by Lord Lolorito because he "shits gil."

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
dungeons stink, you just train to bosses

Darkhold? I know totorak you have to run around and find keys (photocells) to knock down those magitek barriers (kinda maze ish) but dunno about Darkhold.

Kaper

I really like how archer Light Shot is still in the game and not an auto attack. When I feel like slowing down the combat I just switch to lancer. Granted I don't switch to lancer much anymore since I discovered the beauty that is Multishot + Raging Strike + Ferocity. I'm one shotting (well 3 shotting, but it's insta-kill) the monsters in 1000 Maws at level 27.

Unknown Soldier said:
Since you'll be with us for Tera NA/EU (right?), whether FFXIV is salvaged by then won't functionally matter all that much. We'll be too busy fighting OMGWTFBBQ bosses in Tera to care. :3

I'm starting to care less about Tera since they're keeping us in the dark with respect to important details about their release schedule..

I might honestly be more interested in Blade and Soul by the end of things.. but right now it looks like Tera will be a 2012 title..

Jinko

So had a go at the R45 raid and it was quite fun, lots of dying but kind of funny.

I really hope they tale away the raid timer it seems to serves little purpose other than to irritate players.

Had a Bliaud chest piece drop from one of the chest duno what the stats where on it.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Teknoman said:
I think they did something with the lighting in the patch, since alot of locations look better.

WhglA.jpg

-- images ---
EDIT: Damn it imgur -_-
^

Thats the only one interesting, missing your dead shots! :D

Teknoman said:
I'll see what I can do :p

(I'm just as surprised as you are)

About what? Being dead? Isn't your usual state in that game dead? :3

Robobandit said:
I'm starting to care less about Tera since they're keeping us in the dark with respect to important details about their release schedule..

I might honestly be more interested in Blade and Soul by the end of things.. but right now it looks like Tera will be a 2012 title..

Nobody knows anything about what Blade & Soul will be like. I guess we'll see, but NCSoft is NCSoft and their failed Westernization of Aion will make me not trust them again until I see the retail released game being played. The Koreans still love grinding, so I doubt Blade & Soul won't have a grind mentality.

Tera on the other hand is a known quantity. We know exactly what it is, since we played it! They are taking their sweet damn time with the localization though.

Jomjom

Banned
Just started playing this after receiving the LE from Goozex and it had an unused buddy code on it!

I used to be a hardcore FFXI player (6+ years) and the thing I loved most about XI were the story missions. They were kind of what kept me going after the monotony of HNM hunting set in. I really thought the stories were quite good for an FF game.

How is the story in FFXIV? Are there even story missions like in XI?

Also where are most of you guys playing? Would be great to play on the server with the most GAF people. Maybe I could join your linkshell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom