• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggle

i quite enjoyed the stories so far
esp when the CSs look so good
and there are quite a few of them
3 nation stories (can't switch nation yet :<<<< )
job specific stories (some more epic than the others)
and with grand companies, there are going to be even more???

most of gaf is on Lindblum
who do i /tell to get a pearl?
been playing a lot on my character there

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Teknoman said:
About not being dead, I died a grand total of one time lol.

You still need promote? I can do it now.. ratso won't make up his mind! :p

jiggle said:

Well, I can log in and invite you too while I'm trying to promote Tekno. I can get on now if you want.

Jomjom

Banned
jiggle said:

Ah I see ok thanks for the info. I'll go and create my character there soon.

jiggle

stupid question but
how do i initiate auto-battle? lol...

Dega said:
Well, I can log in and invite you too while I'm trying to promote Tekno. I can get on now if you want.

i'm cool either way
playing there now
character's name is savanah arawak

Riposte

I really dislike that the non-starting basic attacks have huge countdowns. Basically, I want to be able to switch on the fly on what type of attack I do(how cool would it be if I could auto-attack broad swing?), like I could before the adjustment. Feels like they are dumbing the game down, but maybe that is only because the new combat system is embryonic and there is nothing to replace it.

And damn, they still haven't changed the claim rules so that you aren't punished for using AoE abilities on anything but groups. It is really noticeable in dungeons where there are maybe two-three groups, but dozens of instances where non-grouped enemies are right next to each other(clearly designed to be fought at the same time, some of them are even rooted). I guess it is a good thing they made attacks like broad swing irrelevant because people would be losing a ton of SP playing the game "correctly"(I still do with things like Leg Sweep).

EDIT: Also it is a bummer to build exp knowing it is going into the garbage in the next update. Still eager for it, do we know when it is coming?

Unknown Soldier said:
Tera on the other hand is a known quantity. We know exactly what it is, since we played it! They are taking their sweet damn time with the localization though.

The gameplay for Blade and Soul looks really fun.. particularly the aerial combat.. it's too early to comment on quest structure since they've only had 1 closed beta for Korea thus far. The presentation of the story and the music are really top notch, though..

(There's a private server out there, but it's not very functional yet.. I was able to run around, run across water and fly through the air.. all of which felt awesome)

I'm still worried that NA Tera is going to change too much. They can't be just doing a simple translation.. it wouldn't take this long if they were..

Gvaz said:
Maybe I'm missing something with this, but isn't that the point? Bosses should be iconic.

I think he was saying that you don't have to kill everything up until you get to the boss.. you can just run through.

Teknoman

Robobandit said:
I think he was saying that you don't have to kill everything up until you get to the boss.. you can just run through.

Not with the Rank 25-35 one. Gotta run through for keys. In other news, I can invite people to the shell now, so if you still need a pearl, this time when you send a tell, I can do it. Also gotta figure out a strategy for those bosses in Toto-Rak. Was this close to killing it and then we wiped one by one. Gotta get shield to 30 so I can have group voke...that would've really helped out in a pinch. Kinda cool that we actually have to figure out a strategy (at appropriate levels).

Teknoman said:
Not with the Rank 25-35 one. Gotta run through for keys. In other news, I can invite people to the shell now, so if you still need a pearl, this time when you send a tell, I can do it. Also gotta figure out a strategy for those bosses in Toto-Rak. Was this close to killing it and then we wiped one by one. Gotta get shield to 30 so I can have group voke...that would've really helped out in a pinch. Kinda cool that we actually have to figure out a strategy (at appropriate levels).

I got one from Renta the other day.

Thanks for checking in, though.

I may add another character to focus on crafting, etc. a little later.. so I'll probably need another pearl then.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
If they aren't stupid, they'll leave it mostly exactly the same. I guess we'll see if they are stupid or not.

Last I heard they are completely westernising the game (whatever that means), they have been localising the game for over 12 months now, its probably best they don't rush out with no content though less they want to end up like FF14.

Jinko said:
Last I heard they are completely westernising the game (whatever that means), they have been localising the game for over 12 months now, its probably best they don't rush out with no content though less they want to end up like FF14.

Content isn't a problem for Tera. The Korean version we played had content out the ass from level 1 to 50. The recent patch added several new endgame dungeons and new zones. As long as they don't completely blow it in every possible way the way NCSoft did with Aion, the game should hypothetically be just fine.

Hell, if they blow the NA/EU launch, I could go back to playing K-Tera and be happy as a clam.

Forbiden

So I just returned to the game after being several months on hiatus, and it seems that quite a bit has changed. I was wondering, what is the "best" way to rank up now? I tried doing a couple of behests yesterday and the ones at Camp Broken Water, which are supposed to be for Rank 45(according to the game) were giving me very crappy SP, circa 40 per monster. I also saw that quests now give Skill Points, and I've made about 7k SP just from doing quests, but that doesn't really seem like a way to rank up all the way to 50.

Unknown Soldier said:
Content isn't a problem for Tera. The Korean version we played had content out the ass from level 1 to 50. The recent patch added several new endgame dungeons and new zones. As long as they don't completely blow it in every possible way the way NCSoft did with Aion, the game should hypothetically be just fine.

Hell, if they blow the NA/EU launch, I could go back to playing K-Tera and be happy as a clam.

I am interested in Tera but never played Aion, how did they "blow" it ?

Jinko

Forbiden said:
So I just returned to the game after being several months on hiatus, and it seems that quite a bit has changed. I was wondering, what is the "best" way to rank up now? I tried doing a couple of behests yesterday and the ones at Camp Broken Water, which are supposed to be for Rank 45(according to the game) were giving me very crappy SP, circa 40 per monster. I also saw that quests now give Skill Points, and I've made about 7k SP just from doing quests, but that doesn't really seem like a way to rank up all the way to 50.

Solo leves are the best way to level up still IMO, not tried behest, but I think you are supposed to get SP for completing the behest as well as the SP from the individual monsters.

Quests are a good way to level as long as you do the ones suitable for your level.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Solo leves are the best way to level up still IMO, not tried behest, but I think you are supposed to get SP for completing the behest as well as the SP from the individual monsters.

Quests are a good way to level as long as you do the ones suitable for your level.

Some people were talking about decent gains from the darkhold instance?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Teknoman said:

It give 200-300 sp at rank50 so maybe.

But many people only kill a few mobs and skip the rest.

Riposte

I saw a NPC talk about the Garleans invading at Camp Tranquil. Then I saw a NPC called something like "Militia Outlander" north from there. I was in a rush so I couldn't pay it much attention, but while running forward I saw a shitload of "Imperial x" hume enemies, fashioned sort of like Besieged. No idea what that was about. Any ideas?

Munba

Riposte said:
I saw a NPC talk about the Garleans invading at Camp Tranquil. Then I saw a NPC called something like "Militia Outlander" north from there. I was in a rush so I couldn't pay it much attention, but while running forward I saw a shitload of "Imperial x" hume enemies, fashioned sort of like Besieged. No idea what that was about. Any ideas?

Yeah, that is a random event about the new threat in Eorzea. If you kill some of them you could drop some Dispatched Crystals to give to Ronan Kognan in Gridania to have some rewards depend on the crystal you give him. 3 crystals = Peregrine Helm. But he says to bring him 30 to receive something else..

Teknoman

Munba said:
Yeah, that is a random event about the new threat in Eorzea. If you kill some of them you could drop some Dispatched Crystals to give to Ronan Kognan in Gridania to have some rewards depend on the crystal you give him. 3 crystals = Peregrine Helm. But he says to bring him 30 to receive something else..

I had no idea about this...but i'm guessing they looked like the fairly low Garlean forces (the people dressed in regular equipment, and not the imperial trooper looking stuff).

Jinko

Teknoman said:

Yea its not bad, but tbh with the strict timer you can't really kill everything, I was getting 150 sp per kill at rank 48.

Rank 46 leves give me 5.5k sp.

So I'd have to kill 36 mobs in a raid to get the equivalent of one leve.

Munba

Teknoman said:
I had no idea about this...but i'm guessing they looked like the fairly low Garlean forces (the people dressed in regular equipment, and not the imperial trooper looking stuff).

Like this,

0b7pJiasakQUozf-beunbn1bD6HDDncAMB5GED82H4.jpg

Teknoman

Didnt know they actually changed some minor skill animations as well (know we'll see even more in 1.19 though). Bloodletter for Archer was pretty nice. Made it seem like the power in the arrow was almost overwhelming (shuddering character + kickback).

Sin

Teknoman said:
Didnt know they actually changed some minor skill animations as well (know we'll see even more in 1.19 though). Bloodletter for Archer was pretty nice. Made it seem like the power in the arrow was almost overwhelming (shuddering character + kickback).

I think all the new animations are great.

As you said, Bloodletter feels POWERFUL, as does Storm Axe.

If they keep reworking the animations like this, parties are going to be fun to watch in action. :)

Toth

Jinko said:

Hmmm I am doing something wrong then? I am barely making 2-3k SP from doing lvl 20 levee as a 22 THM and that's with 3-4 stars and GF...

It feels that this update really lowered SP gain.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Toth said:
Hmmm I am doing something wrong then? I am barely making 2-3k SP from doing lvl 20 levee as a 22 THM and that's with 3-4 stars and GF...

It feels that this update really lowered SP gain.
How much SP do you get at the end?

Eccocid

Finally played it after the new patch!
Game feels much faster and smooth!
Opening menu, opening inventory, gear and journal is much faster now! It used to take some time to load all the icons on gear menu or the text in journal but they cut it a lot.
I kinda feel like it feels mush more smoother right now.
My highest rank is a PGL and i tried auto attack today. That was the only thing felt slow to me. Battles felt faster before auto attack but..(a big BUT) the input delay for skills seems like much more shorter! There used to be a quite a big lag after i input a command and the skill takes actions now it feels much more responsive!

Gonna check those raids maybe this weekend!

Toth

Rentahamster said:
How much SP do you get at the end?

Between 800 and 1400 SP, depending on how fast I am able to finish them. The higher SP usually correlates to not killing as many mobs and just the specified ones.

Teknoman

Eccocid said:
Finally played it after the new patch!
Game feels much faster and smooth!
Opening menu, opening inventory, gear and journal is much faster now! It used to take some time to load all the icons on gear menu or the text in journal but they cut it a lot.
I kinda feel like it feels mush more smoother right now.
My highest rank is a PGL and i tried auto attack today. That was the only thing felt slow to me. Battles felt faster before auto attack but..(a big BUT) the input delay for skills seems like much more shorter! There used to be a quite a big lag after i input a command and the skill takes actions now it feels much more responsive!

Gonna check those raids maybe this weekend!

What server?

Also whoever's character is named Gafgarion, I can give you a pearl now.

Micromegas said:
PS3 version? Any news?

Still working on it side by side PC version. Gotta make sure everything is content ready and nice looking/working for the PS3 launch. Also doing engine tweaks and adjustments on the PC side of things to make things look better/run smooth (the lighting seems improved after 1.18).

And yes Buttons, winning cutscene pose classic FF style is awesome after bosses. Wish I recorded our first win in Toto-rak, because those were the perfect poses (Fraps screwed up the video).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom