• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

lol, well thanks for the invite. Admittedly I'm not exactly the most forward-spoken person =P
I could have technically said something.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Luigi87 said:
lol, well thanks for the invite. Admittedly I'm not exactly the most forward-spoken person =P
I could have technically said something.

hmm, did you get in? Send Shiori Aran a tell if not. He will let you in if you're on atm.

scotcheggz

Coldsnap said:
can anyone with a gtx 560 comment on your temps and fan speed during a gaming session of ffxiv? Thank you.

This is from my 560 twin frozr, it's all whilst I was in uldah, I basically just ran around and did a quick tour. I never notice it do anything too crazy in terms of fan speed I don think. It's never been clocked past the factory OC though.

HLcJc.jpg

Edit: my settings by the way are basically everything max except 8 general drawing quality and no AO.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Has any of you played XIV on a notebook? I'm getting one today, it has Radeon 6770M on board and I wonder will I be able to play XIV on medium-ish details without hiccups?

Kaper

scotcheggz said:
This is from my 560 twin frozr, it's all whilst I was in uldah, I basically just ran around and did a quick tour. I never notice it do anything too crazy in terms of fan speed I don think. It's never been clocked past the factory OC though.

Edit: my settings by the way are basically everything max except 8 general drawing quality and no AO.

Those are also my graphics settings with my 560 twin frozr and I'm getting similar temps.

Ravidrath

Keiician said:
Has any of you played XIV on a notebook? I'm getting one today, it has Radeon 6770M on board and I wonder will I be able to play XIV on medium-ish details without hiccups?

I'm playing on a MacBook Pro with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M and it runs really well on the "standard" settings with high-res textures.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ravidrath said:
I'm playing on a MacBook Pro with a AMD Radeon HD 6750M and it runs really well on the "standard" settings with high-res textures.
Great, thanks! :)

Ravidrath

Keiician said:
Great, thanks! :)

The game looks pretty great at the standard detail and runs well.

Here are my settings:

Resolution: 1680x1050
Multisampling: 8XQ
General Drawing Quality: 8 (Standard)
Background Drawing Quality: 3 (Standard)
Shadow Detail: Low

Ambient Occlusion: Off
Depth of Field: Off
Disable Cutscene Effects: Off
Enable Hardware Mouse Cursor: On
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filtering: Highest​

I've also forced Triple Buffering with D3DOverrider, and basically turned everything in the Catalyst Control Center to "Application Settings." Something I had set before was making it massively slower than it needed to be when I turned on 2X MSAA, and turning it off allowed me to set it to 8X without any framerate hit.

The Shadow Detail setting is actually an aesthetic choice - it runs fine on standard, but the self-shadowing they have right now makes the characters look a lot worse - Shadow Detail: Low gets you object ground shadows without self-shadowing.

Teknoman

Is there really that much of a difference between Background drawing set to high and the standard setting? If not, i'll probably drop my setting down to standard to gain some performance.

Teknoman said:
Is there really that much of a difference between Background drawing set to high and the standard setting? If not, i'll probably drop my setting down to standard to gain some performance.

I didn't notice any difference tbh. AO and depth of field and object draw distance in the ingame settings are the big hitters.

And ofcourse the General Drawing Quality, but that's just super sampling the game from what I can tell.

Well I decided to reinstall today to see how things have changed, looks like its going to take a day or two to get fully patched up on my crappy connection.

How is the wards/bazaar situation going? I got rid of all my stuff when I first left and the last time I played I couldn't find a weapon my level being sold anywhere.

Skilletor

Allard said:
It's better but its not 'quite' there yet where I would recomend it to someone, but if you can play it for free or for a small fee to get the game codes, its free to play online right now and you can decide for yourself.

There is still a lot of things not implemented that I would consider required for an MMORPG and wouldn't recomend to my friends unless I could static with them (Mail and properly functioning guild commands along with player search) but the foundation for the game that was horrible is finally getting to a point where its actually fun on a day to day basis.

If they really implement all that they intend to implement in the next patch, at 'that' point I might recomend it to people not in my close friend group. It still won't solve the major issues I have with it, but there should be a lot more content and focus that it won't matter for new people and it should hopefully be fun for them without too much effort :). Its fun now, but I still feel like it needs a little more time in the cooker. But if you can get the game codes its free to play, you can come and go as you please without consequence :)

I guess I'll give it a try. I didn't know it was still free.

Jinko

SuperLurker said:
How is the wards/bazaar situation going? I got rid of all my stuff when I first left and the last time I played I couldn't find a weapon my level being sold anywhere.

Wards are better, you can always grab the next weapon up or down, its not really worth buying low level weapons/armour anyway because you will out level them so fast.

Riposte

So without/with minimal spoilers, can someone answer this story question? (Not very far into the main story.)

Does Eorzea go through cycles of destruction? Each age ending with an apocalypse of sorts. Not exactly sure where I picked up this plot point, but it has been in the back of my head for awhile and the game's current events seems to imply it.

I think there's something wrong with my character.

I died and I couldn't pull up the menu to return. After a while I got an error msg and the game quit.

Now every time I try to login I get either this:

G5TEM.jpg

or that other message that means the character hasn't timed out yet. :/ I've been trying to get in for well over 10 minutes.

Well I've played for several hours for the past few days after originally quitting several months back. I think the thing that still bothers me the most is the whole travel situation. I forgot how long those huge ass PS3 loading corridors are, I'd just prefer having loading screens at this point so I could go afk. The biggest improvement for me is that I can do my leves and feel like I've made some progress. Back when I quit I could do 8 rank 40 battle leves and gain less than a 1000 sp while today I found a spot where I could solo for 300 sp per mob.

1fgbj_184k3_427efac6f32b3f443e40713418b82892.jpg

Pietepiet

Thinking about coming back to this again. I was back briefly in February but after I went to GDC I just didn't feel like logging in anymore for some reason. Think I'll just roll a whole new character. I was never that far into the game anyway.

[EDIT] Oh, I used to be Sumio in game if anyone still remembers :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Pietepiet said:
Thinking about coming back to this again. I was back briefly in February but after I went to GDC I just didn't feel like logging in anymore for some reason. Think I'll just roll a whole new character. I was never that far into the game anyway.

[EDIT] Oh, I used to be Sumio in game if anyone still remembers :p
I still remember your godlike pixel art.

Pietepiet

Haha, thanks! I still owe some people one of those.....whoops..

Anyway, once my 'net at home is back online (typing this on my phone, ugh..) I'll roll a new character. Who do I contact in game for Linkshell invites and stuff like that again?

kiryogi

Banned
SuperLurker said:
Well I've played for several hours for the past few days after originally quitting several months back. I think the thing that still bothers me the most is the whole travel situation. I forgot how long those huge ass PS3 loading corridors are, I'd just prefer having loading screens at this point so I could go afk. The biggest improvement for me is that I can do my leves and feel like I've made some progress. Back when I quit I could do 8 rank 40 battle leves and gain less than a 1000 sp while today I found a spot where I could solo for 300 sp per mob.

1fgbj_184k3_427efac6f32b3f443e40713418b82892.jpg
Everyone is coming back :eek:

Kyoufu

Can anyone that uses the battle parser explain how to use the damn thing? I have no idea which directory I need to use for it on the app.

froliq

Since I got this for very cheap, I finally decided to start playing today. Made a character on Lindblum and have been kind of enjoying it. I was in the alpha and beta tests and was terribly dissapointed back then and saw little improvement over the different builds. It's good see that they have changed quite some things and that the dev team is listening to player feedback. Atleast they are willing to turn this into a good game now and I hope upcoming patches offer big changes. Gonna play this in my last weeks of summer vacation and then I guess I'll decide if I'll stick around for longer.

Edit: Err, I guess I have to play in windowed if I want to be able to alt+tab?

Toth said:
Lisa needs braces.

Dental Plan

staticneuron said:
I don't think anyone really left. They just went on mini vacations. lol.

I honestly didn't think that I would be returning to the game, which is why I gave away all my stuff when I left. I'm pleased with the changes that have been made but the game still has a ways to go imo. In any case, I'm willing to give the game another go but it has some tough competition for playtime with all the good games coming out now.

Ashodin

Also just picked this up today. Think I'll hit up the names above for a LS invite and I'm rrrrreallllly new to the game, but not MMOs in general. Scored the CE for free.

Ashodin

Wow, played a lot of early gameplay tonight, and I am really enjoying it so far. The sense of wonderment, the battle system is pretty fun, and levequests are wicked!

Dat new MMO smell.. mmm

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
hgplayer1 said:
Lol i know what its in reference to I just dont get why its supposed to be funny. All I hear is "Marcooo... Poloooo"
It's just another pop culture reference. Nothing more nothing less. Some people who like the Simpsons well enough to remember that episode find it endearing when others do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom