• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

Just ordered this from Amazon. Will be here tomorrow. :)

Won't have much time to play, but I wanted to have it for when I choose to do so.

Ashodin

Skilletor

So I'm looking for the class that's closest to a black mage from FFXI.

Which should I choose conjurer or thaumaturge (or however it's spelled).

Ashodin

Skilletor said:

The dude above me is right - you can and should level up both. In FFXIV classes aren't a static choice, you can switch at any time based on your whims.

Luigi87

Levelling up both is the wise idea.

Don't be like me and not realize for a long ass time you can carry over some skills between classes.

...Now I've almost got Conjurer to 16 so I can utilize Shell and Protect, whilst I continue levelling Lancer.

Skilletor said:

One class is for status effects (thau) and the other class deals more direct elemental based damage (Conj). Using them together makes it easier to solo the mage classes.

jiggle

feels to me conj will split into blm and whm once jobs are implemented
and thm will get rdm like job?
lots of debuffs and mp refresh like spells
although thm feels way more powerful than conj atm...

jiggle said:

Thm more powerful? I play both on a daily basis, I do much more damage as a con. Probably in a group thm will do more damage. But the way the system and affinities are Even you cross abilities from other classes, con benefits more because they do more direct damage.

Ravidrath

Skilletor said:

I'm going to say Conjurer, because you said "closest."

CON has all the classic elemental spells, as well as the elemental DoT spells. While THM's damage comes from spells, I'd say it's closer to Red Mage because it has access to a lot of debuffs.

I'm enjoying CON right now and saving THM until the rest of the combat changes are final, so I can play a class "the way it was meant to be played."

jiggle said:

Yeah, this would make sense, but didn't they say that there will be one job per class at first?

FieryBalrog said:
So... when are they gonna start charging for this? Never?

My guess would be that they're going to try and get the PS3 version out before the end of fiscal 2011 (March 2012), and that's when they'll start charging.

There's still a lot they can improve, but I think we're getting pretty close to where the game should've been when it launched.

Teknoman

1122.jpg

Skilletor

Ravidrath said:
I'm going to say Conjurer, because you said "closest."

CON has all the classic elemental spells, as well as the elemental DoT spells. While THM's damage comes from spells, I'd say it's closer to Red Mage because it has access to a lot of debuffs.

I'm enjoying CON right now and saving THM until the rest of the combat changes are final, so I can play a class "the way it was meant to be played."

Yeah, after I asked I started looking up abilities. CON definitely looks closer to BLM. THM (?) reminded me of a RDM.

I will level both, since I love mages.

What's this about "actual classes?" They're adding an actual class system?

Is there a good website for refeerence and the things that will be added in/have been added in patches?

Hey guys, I just got the game and I'm wondering if there's a good guide out there on how to start out in the game?

I'm just really fooling around in-game, but if there's a good guide out there on how to get started, I'd love to read it.

Ravidrath

Skilletor said:
What's this about "actual classes?" They're adding an actual class system?

Is there a good website for refeerence and the things that will be added in/have been added in patches?

So right now we have classes, right? Well, they're adding a job system on top of it.

"Classes" are the freeform things we have now, where you can mix and match abilities and are more suited for soloing.

"Jobs" are more rigid and designed for partying - they have set abilities and focus on specific aspects of the class. So far they've said that each class will have one job to unlock, but it seems possible that they'll branch.

For example, when you reach a specific rank in Gladiator, you can unlock the Paladin job. Equipping the Paladin job might boost your VIT, lower your STR, and give you new Shield-based abilities and healing spells.

Skilletor

Ravidrath said:
So right now we have classes, right? Well, they're adding a job system on top of it.

"Classes" are the freeform things we have now, where you can mix and match abilities and are more suited for soloing.

"Jobs" are more rigid and designed for partying - they have set abilities and focus on specific aspects of the class. So far they've said that each class will have one job to unlock, but it seems possible that they'll branch.

For example, when you reach a specific rank in Gladiator, you can unlock the Paladin job. Equipping the Paladin job might boost your VIT, lower your STR, and give you new Shield-based abilities and healing spells.

That sounds AWESOME. :D

Cathcart

Skilletor said:
That sounds AWESOME. :D
I don't know, it sounds a lot less awesome if it's just an excuse to make us do another grind. Do the jobs have levels? It would be really lame if I had to level a gladiator to 50 just to unlock the "real" job that I then have to level all over again. But if that's not the case then I agree that it sounds cool :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cathcart said:
I don't know, it sounds a lot less awesome if it's just an excuse to make us do another grind. Do the jobs have levels? It would be really lame if I had to level a gladiator to 50 just to unlock the "real" job that I then have to level all over again. But if that's not the case then I agree that it sounds cool :)
You're not going to have to level a job. The job level will be the same as the corresponding class.

Ravidrath

Rentahamster said:
You're not going to have to level a job. The job level will be the same as the corresponding class.

Yeah.

A job is a class that has been refined and modified for party play - it's something you alter an existing class with, not a new thing entirely. So no releveling.

So, for example, you can be a CON with some THM spells on it for solo play, and then slap the BLM mod onto it that would lock up its healing and defensive spells and boost its DD spells for the nuking of bosses.

My only concern with this is that some of them seem like they're going to play very differently from the class that unlocks the job. For example, right now they're saying that Bard comes from... Archer? So that'll be quite the learning curve for a R50 Archer to suddenly become a support class.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ravidrath said:
For example, right now they're saying that Bard comes from... Archer? So that'll be quite the learning curve for a R50 Archer to suddenly become a support class.
Well, they never actually "said" that. They just mentioned that bard is one of the jobs, and that there's only one job that corresponds to each class.

Therefore, by that reasoning, there's not a lot of classes left that would make sense to turn into bard.

Rawk Hawk

Rentahamster said:
Well, they never actually "said" that. They just mentioned that bard is one of the jobs, and that there's only one job that corresponds to each class.

Therefore, by that reasoning, there's not a lot of classes left that would make sense to turn into bard.
Yea, I hope it's not Archer, I will pick up Bard as soon as its available, so hopefully will branch from GLA to make it easy!

I thought it would be one of the mages though, whichever of the two is more curing/support

Skilletor

Are there detriments to choosing classes like there were in FFXI?

If I want to be a mage, would I be silly for choosing a dusk wight? (I want to be an elf).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Skilletor said:
Are there detriments to choosing classes like there were in FFXI?

If I want to be a mage, would I be silly for choosing a dusk wight? (I want to be an elf).
Your character race is only cosmetic. Don't worry about it.

Skilletor

This game is pretty.

Got it all installed, got my controller set up. Got my homework to do...

Oh. Dammit.

Almost done, though! And then MAGING TIME!

Skilletor

Rentahamster said:
Let us know your in game name.

I'm not on the Gaf server. I had few friends who were playing. I'm on Rabanastre.

My name is Solthis Solasi, though. For anybody who is around :).

I'm slaying Star Marmots. I died against my first one, lol.

How do you take pictures in game? I'm playing through steam, but the quality of those pics is pretty low.

Luigi87

Skilletor said:
I'm not on the Gaf server. I had few friends who were playing. I'm on Rabanastre.

My name is Solthis Solasi, though. For anybody who is around :).

I'm slaying Star Marmots. I died against my first one, lol.

How do you take pictures in game? I'm playing through steam, but the quality of those pics is pretty low.

You are a member of the Rabanastre Alliance, and a traitor!
...wait, wrong series.

For screenshots, hold Scroll Lock, then press Print Screen.

Eccocid

I think i am done with this game.
R37 pugilist.
After the latest major patch it became so boring.
Leveling takes ages cuz i can't find a party. Back then there were many ppl and it never took a lot of time to find some ppl for doing levequests. Now no one does them. Their sp rewards are not enough to rank up since i need like 60k tnr. Shouting in Uldah for a sp party reminds me those days in FFXI which i hated.

Kyoufu

Eccocid said:
R37 pugilist.
Leveling takes ages cuz i can't find a party. Back then there were many ppl and it never took a lot of time to find some ppl for doing levequests. Now no one does them. Their sp rewards are not enough to rank up since i need like 60k tnr. Shouting in Uldah for a sp party reminds me those days in FFXI which i hated.

Came back 2 weeks ago without anything levelled. 2 weeks later I have Archer and Lancer at 50. Doesn't take long at all, and if you do the R40 Leves in Gridania with some others, you'll get a ton of SP.

Teknoman

Eccocid said:
R37 pugilist.

Gotta put together a party yourself. Head to dungeons, do quests, ask people if they want to make a leve party/ grab a LS member or 2 to give you a head start. It'll be even easier once the new exp stuff goes into effect.

jiggle

Eccocid said:
Their sp rewards are not enough to rank up since i need like 60k tnr.

how can that be?
if you solo the lv30 leves at higher stars
you can get at least 2.6k(2 stars+speed completion no aspect) to 4.2k(4 stars+speed+aspect) per leve, and additional sp from mob kill
lv30 locations also have behest that rewards 3.5k on completetion
easily hitting a new rank every 2 days without spending too much time

Windam

Scaley member
Been thinking of hopping in to this game for a while now. Haven't looked at it since beta (which was awful), so I'm curious to know how the game is doing now. Is it worth it, GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom