• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
People actually still want to play Phantasy Star Online these days? It's not 1999 anymore...

edit: LOL, I just started reading the DQX thread over on Gaming side. Wow, so Squenix is really going to MMOGify Dragon Quest. Well, the dearth of any actual content combined with endless grinding while walking around in empty worlds which has characterized Dragon Quest since time immemorial makes it perfect MMOG material! Unlike Final Fantasy, oddly enough. Final Fantasy was always about story and linear progression through set piece events, which is why it was always strange that FF got the MMOG treatment and DQ didn't.

Dragon Quest bores me to tears as an offline game, I can't wait to be online with millions of other people who are named xxGokuxx to be bored together with them! THIS IS LIVING!

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
People actually still want to play Phantasy Star Online these days? It's not 1999 anymore...

edit: LOL, I just started reading the DQX thread over on Gaming side. Wow, so Squenix is really going to MMOGify Dragon Quest. Well, the dearth of any actual content combined with endless grinding while walking around in empty worlds which has characterized Dragon Quest since time immemorial makes it perfect MMOG material! Unlike Final Fantasy, oddly enough. Final Fantasy was always about story and linear progression through set piece events, which is why it was always strange that FF got the MMOG treatment and DQ didn't.

Dragon Quest bores me to tears as an offline game, I can't wait to be online with millions of other people who are named xxGokuxx to be bored together with them! THIS IS LIVING!

PSO2 is a big difference from PSO :p

Victrix

*beard*
DQX, PSO2, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3...

Go ahead and figure out how to work all that into your life.

In FFXIV news, FFgaf is best gaf. Seriously one of the friendliest groups I've encountered online in a long time.

(I still give us two weeks before we burn out)

Spent all evening last night running around with a party of five skillchaining battle regimening(?) our asses off. Fun stuff.

I know it's getting removed and retooled in the patch (the return of elemental flares on impact with visuals? more special effects?), but for now, it makes generic grinding more entertaining because it looks cool and its at least mildly more interactive.

Dumb how hard it was to figure out what is a very simple system. Dumber that I had to dig up info that you could directionally break certain monster parts to disable them and get different loot. They need to be trumpeting these features front and center. Oh well. Popup help in .19 ahoy.

I wanted to go make a first week impressions feedback post on the official forums since the reps seem to (gasp) actually relay feedback, but I keep getting the damn 'you haven't logged in within 30 days' error. Oh well. I can post angry rants later.

I suspect the majority of obvious issues are already well known by the team, it's just a question of how fast they can fix them. For my part I'll wait through .19, .20, and maaaaaybe .21 depending on how those two go.

This game is infuriatingly filled with raw potential.

Nakazato said:

azG3A.gif

314e4if.gif

wall9-1280x1024.jpg

So I havent played this game for awhile since I maxed CON and THM to 50, like last Nov lol. Is there any type of endgame content available yet? I mean besides Giant Buffalo, Dodore, Mosshorn etc? Did they open up the castle in Coretheas (sp?), continue the story? New jobs? Anything?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
FrankNitty said:
So I havent played this game for awhile since I maxed CON and THM to 50, like last Nov lol. Is there any type of endgame content available yet? I mean besides Giant Buffalo, Dodore, Mosshorn etc? Did they open up the castle in Coretheas (sp?), continue the story? New jobs? Anything?

Only two dungeons one lvl 45 and other lvl 25.

Low content cleared in 1 week.

Now i'm playing XI again, while i wait 1.19 and also looking and my bnet account, seeing diablo 3 beta and waiting it to start.

:D

Coldsnap

Looking through the XI thread and feeling nostalgic.... what is this game missing that XI still has? Is it a missing "secret" ingredient like charm or is it just a culmination of a bunch of things?

Riposte

Coldsnap said:
Looking through the XI thread and feeling nostalgic.... what is this game missing that XI still has? Is it a missing "secret" ingredient like charm or is it just a culmination of a bunch of things?

I'd say the game is very charming. However it is missing content (duh) and it is really not concrete what the game is suppose to be. It seems like there is little reason to play when the combat system is going to be real different soon and the developers are not in a rush to make content for the old style of combat.

Coldsnap said:
Looking through the XI thread and feeling nostalgic.... what is this game missing that XI still has?

8 additional years of operation.
Seriously, there's just so much to it now.

XIV will need time to expand and fill the story-space, something XI has done fairly eloquently over the years.

Coldsnap said:

I have been wondering this for awhile.

I think it is that "secret" type elemental. XI just had it. I mean when I think about when I first got to Sky and it was like oh you have to chill here, lottery pop this mob, kill it, get the drop, find it's pair, based off chinese mythology iirc, using teleporters, etc etc, to get to X ??? to trade the items to pop a mob, that dropped another item that you had to trade to another ??? mob thats just fun.

XIV was too easy for me which is why I quit playing. I'm waiting for them to emplement something of the same quality as Sky, Sea, Etc..

I mean you had so much to do, Dynmais, Sky, Sea, Past area, Behest, KSNM, ENM, BCNM, and then the story, of the expansions when they finally released. I mean CoP was so good, and a challenge. You had a real sense of accomplishment. XIV is just missing that feel of accomplishment for me.

FreeMufasa

I bought this game today for £1.99. At that price i feel like I can't be dissapointed. I also haven't played FFXI so atleast I won't constantly be comparing it.

From what I understand, there is still no monthly fee? How large/active is the gaf community on this?

Coldsnap

FrankNitty said:
I have been wondering this for awhile.

I think it is that "secret" type elemental. XI just had it. I mean when I think about when I first got to Sky and it was like oh you have to chill here, lottery pop this mob, kill it, get the drop, find it's pair, based off chinese mythology iirc, using teleporters, etc etc, to get to X ??? to trade the items to pop a mob, that dropped another item that you had to trade to another ??? mob thats just fun.

XIV was too easy for me which is why I quit playing. I'm waiting for them to emplement something of the same quality as Sky, Sea, Etc..

I mean you had so much to do, Dynmais, Sky, Sea, Past area, Behest, KSNM, ENM, BCNM, and then the story, of the expansions when they finally released. I mean CoP was so good, and a challenge. You had a real sense of accomplishment. XIV is just missing that feel of accomplishment for me.

Yea great point, although you should see the speed runs on the r45 dungeon. It's really challenging, in some ways that XI was never, only a few teams on our server have done it.

Yoshiya

Curious as to whether there are any solid figures or even a good approximation of the current player base. Has it continued to decline or has it picked up given its still free and presumably improving in content and quality?

Coldsnap said:

More than anything else, it's missing content. I've been saying this since day 1 too. Give me SOMETHING to do, ANYTHING besides endless grinding. The game shipped with quite literally no story whatsoever. Ignore all the other stuff, chocobos and airships, that's just decorative. What kind of Final Fantasy game has no STORY?!

FFXIII had a story. It wasn't a very good one, but it had one.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
FreeMufasa said:
I bought this game today for £1.99. At that price i feel like I can't be dissapointed. I also haven't played FFXI so atleast I won't constantly be comparing it.

From what I understand, there is still no monthly fee? How large/active is the gaf community on this?
No monthly fee. There's always at least a few ppl online at most hours. Having more ppl on during UK times might be nice as well. We got a small number of Euro-time zone players online.
Yoshiya said:
Curious as to whether there are any solid figures or even a good approximation of the current player base. Has it continued to decline or has it picked up given its still free and presumably improving in content and quality?

Ever since they got rid of the function to see the number of players online, no one really knows for sure. All I can say based on casual observations is that the population is nowhere near launch levels. Not even close. All three towns were full of people, and now, only Uldah is even remotely full.

It picks back up whenever new patches hit, and a decent amount of people come back to see how the game is going, but so far, no one has really come back and stayed for an extended period of time.

Ravidrath

Any of you guys ready to help me kill the Garlean commander, Idris van Krastoon The Blood Hornet?

I need the gunstaff she drops for my CON.

FreeMufasa

Well I installed it and turns out my PC can't run the game (expected). I was looking forward to playing this but it is definately time for an upgrade.

Long shot but for £150, is there any chance for me to get a PC that can run this (at low) and a few other games like PSO2. Those seem like the two major games. The rest of the stuff I want from the PC catalogue are small indie games. Is there a gaf thread for this?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
FreeMufasa said:
Well I installed it and turns out my PC can't run the game (expected). I was looking forward to playing this but it is definately time for an upgrade.

Long shot but for £150, is there any chance for me to get a PC that can run this (at low) and a few other games like PSO2. Those seem like the two major games. The rest of the stuff I want from the PC catalogue are small indie games. Is there a gaf thread for this?
What are your specs now?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Victrix said:
Guys

I figured it out

FFXIV is a very realistic wildlife hunting simulator and marathon training program

I just can say... LOL :D

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Victrix said:
Guys

I figured it out

FFXIV is a very realistic wildlife hunting simulator and marathon training program
I see you've discovered the deep metagames of Running Fantasy 14, as well as Goat Fantasy 14.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I played at launch (with the CE of course) and was pushed away by the crazy ridiculous mechanics and impossible leveling speed of my CON and THM. I'm sort of thinking of playing again, but I wonder...is it worth it? Is the game any better or any more noob friendly?

Victrix

*beard*
nicoga3000 said:
So I played at launch (with the CE of course) and was pushed away by the crazy ridiculous mechanics and impossible leveling speed of my CON and THM. I'm sort of thinking of playing again, but I wonder...is it worth it? Is the game any better or any more noob friendly?

My earlier post was not ironic, but rather, a statement of absolute fact

Pros: Beautiful graphics, amazing animation, runs great (PC permitting), great music, amazingly fantastic translation, quests/story reasonably intriguing, class system is good, combat (in a group) is fun

Cons: Lack of content, boring solo, horrendously awful UI (on gamepad or kb!), no mail, no auction house, quests are bland, monotonous terrain, spend most of your time either walking from point A to point B or killing wildlife, economy in a weird place

That said, there's a few sort of meta pros floating around: The new producer knows his shit, communicates well, the official forums are seeing actual communication and community reps posting in all languages, their roadmap for the next several patches is ambitious and looks very good.

Chocobos, airships, more content (Grand Company quests, more quests, more NMs, more raids, maybe more dungeons?, beastmen stuff, etcetc), terrain/landmark/points of interest are coming, a major combat system revamp is on the way, jobs are getting added, a materia crafting system is coming, and many other changes, just in the next two patches.

Oh, and FFXIV GAF is great, all friendly and talkative.

Given that there's no monthly fee, you lose nothing to check it out again. And no, it isn't more noob friendly (popup help coming in the next patch! woo!).

Based on my experiences as a new player, there's fun to be had here, but how awesome the game will/can be is still up in the air. Everything I've seen/read/played from the new team has been good or great, there just isn't enough of it yet, so it's a question of how fast you'll run out of interesting stuff to do.

I personally derive no enjoyment from the crafting, so a good chunk of the game is uninteresting to me, and that leaves a somewhat scanty set of main story/sidequests (good writing, boring content), the day-and-a-halfly levequests (boring whack a mob stuff, only fun with a group, simply to watch your assless chap-wearing barbarian cleave sheep in half), and a few dungeons.

If you're burnt on WoW and its clones, its worth checking out just because it's different, but if you hated it on launch, I'm not sure you'd love it now - but I didn't play then, so I don't have perspective there.

Magic 8-ball says: Mixed results, try again soon.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for clarifying! I think I would love the game infinitely more with a group of friendly, talkative, exciting people, who were willing to help out and make the experience more social. That being said, it sounds like the GAF guild is pretty solid. Where do they reside/are they open to new members/are there lowbies to play with?

Thanks for the crazy helpful and informative post.

Victrix

*beard*
Lindblum server, and uh... you know I actually don't know who is a shell holder. Not in the OP?

Lemme go check...

Ok, try sending a tell to Renta Hamster, Maki Star, Shiori Aran, King Lala, Teknoman Blade, Lily Vraminica or I think Dega Emenis is our intrepid leader, though I haven't seen him around.

edit: The OP is in _dire_ need of an update. Maybe after 1.19?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Victrix said:
Lindblum server, and uh... you know I actually don't know who is a shell holder. Not in the OP?

Lemme go check...

Ok, try sending a tell to Renta Hamster, Maki Star, Shiori Aran, King Lala, Teknoman Blade, Lily Vraminica or I think Dega Emenis is our intrepid leader, though I haven't seen him around.

edit: The OP is in _dire_ need of an update. Maybe after 1.19?

I'm right here! I quit though. :D

Victrix

*beard*
Dega said:
I'm right here! I quit though. :D

Well fine, be that way, don't be my intrepid leader D:

You know, it occurs to me they may release an actual genuine expansion pack around the PS3 release.

They've discussed nothing about an expansion (probably wisely), but I would not be surprised if it is in the works. They can't have their whole art and design teams sitting around idly while engine/design works on current gameplay.

I sort of wish I'd got into this at 1.19. My feet hurt.

Oh well, end of the month maybe.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looks like my "main" was on Lind, so I'll probably start back up. I do have two questions that I don't want to hunt the interwebs for:

1) Skill/stat points - can I reset them all without any sort of issue?

2) How important is race at level 50? My Dunesfolk Female / Lalafell is a Conjurer at the moment, but if I want to play her as any other class, will I feel gimped?

Adama

Hey guys, I want to get into this game and was wondering if anyone has an unused buddy pass or game account. Thanks!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Victrix said:
1) Yep, you get to reassign them periodically - time maybe?

2) Pick the race you like, nothing else matters

Thanks. In that case, I'll reinstall tomorrow (since I apparently lost my discs and need to go out and buy the game again). Weekend = FFXIV I guess.

Luigi87

To completely reassign points, you have to hit Reassign five times (Each time returns 20% of your max points) without allocating any points elsewhere. This takes a few hours, as from experience I find it can take around 45 minutes for the "Reassign" button to cool down.

Victrix

*beard*
Adama said:
Hey guys, I want to get into this game and was wondering if anyone has an unused buddy pass or game account. Thanks!

Buddy passes from the CE are long gone, as they're essentially free retail keys

The game is like $5-10 online though, just order a copy, it's hardly an expensive 'trial' with no monthly fee

Adama

Victrix said:
Buddy passes from the CE are long gone, as they're essentially free retail keys

The game is like $5-10 online though, just order a copy, it's hardly an expensive 'trial' with no monthly fee

Do tell me where I can get it for 5 bucks. All I see is $30.

Rawk Hawk

jiggle said:
nice
something everyone's been asking for since beta
33% more leves

Players will receive an allowance of four leves every 12 hours (Earth time), up to maximum of 99.
The allowance will be shared amongst regional, local, and faction leves.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/23365-dev1134-Guildleve-Revisions?p=329351#post329351
If they are merging regional (I assume battle/field?) and local, wouldn't that be a 33% reduction in leves? Or are regional leves something I'm not familiar with?

All I know is every 36 hours I do 16 leves, this sounds like I'll be able to do 12 now.

jiggle

oh ur right
i was thinking local= DoL leves
noooooooooooo this is not good then!! ><

good for ppl that focuses on either battle or craft i guess... :/

Victrix

*beard*
Adama said:
Do tell me where I can get it for 5 bucks. All I see is $30.

When I was looking for a copy I saw several cheap ones on ebay

jiggle said:
good for ppl that focuses on either battle or craft i guess... :/

No, it's absolutely good - for one we don't know how they'll tinker with the rewards, and the 'super leves' for doing the new turnins instead of the current obscure system that gives you a bump on two leves.

As for the reduction, this lets you bank up to 99 leves so uh, unless you're obsessively playing the game 24/7, this means you're going to have leves banked for the weekends and whenever you have a lot of time to play, which is awesome.

Vastly, vastly superior to the current system.

Ravidrath

Yeah, I'm pretty excited for the new leve system for the following reasons:

1. I feel overwhelmed by the number of leves I have already and the frequency I have to log in to use them - I don't feel like I'm losing stuff, this way. So stocking more at a lower rate sounds a lot better to me.

2. I didn't like the arbitrary division between regional and local leves - it punishes choice and people who want to focus on crafting. The new system lets me do as many of either kind as I want - 12 crafting, 12 battle... whatever I want.​

I feel like capping it at 99 is... a bit excessive, though. I'd rather it be capped at something more manageable, like... 40, because I just see myself being by a week's backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom