• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Jinko said:
I like what they have planned for the nodes, don't really care much for the explanation why DoL and DoH need to be cut out from the main story, seemed pretty self explanatory the last time he addressed the issue.

I'm sure the JP players are still not happy regarding this, I imagine he curses Tanaka regularly for this craftin/gathering mess he left behind.

Probably lol. Tanaka promised something that sounded neat in theory but was doomed to be horrible in practice unless they spent a TON of resources and created three separate but equal pathes to finish the story. That didn't happen and now those stories are pathetic from a dramatic point of view because the gameplay feels like a string of cutscenes with LOTS of traveling. Nothing epic about them.

More stuff is translated and this time he talks about housing in regards to gatherers and crafters. Standard mold stuff (like roofs) you might beable to buy but only crafters will beable to make customized stuff. He intends to make raw stuff for gatherers that is designed around housing as well. Make a garden and eventually have baby chocobo breeding.

But here is some new info. He intend to have a crafting workshop that will made through the housing system and it will be where collaborator crafting will be held to build SHIPS and AIR SHIPS. (This beyond initial 2.0 he wanted to reiterate)

Images relating to housing in 2.0 will be released when they are ready, he wants to get them out as soon as possible to get people looking forward to what can be accomplished in 2.0

Jinko

I see posts asking what ever happened to “You can play just by playing gatherer/crafter”; this is previous teams statement but if you take this as in “Being able to play every content in FFXIV with this specific class” then let me officially withdraw that statement.
I really apologize.

LOL and there it is, /clap Yoshi-p

Darte

Finally, it was plain retarded to imagine a plausible situation where you saved the world each time by mining a damn rock.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Darte said:
Finally, it was plain retarded to imagine a plausible situation where you saved the world each time by mining a damn rock.
Or throwing them at a huge monster while an NPC kills it for you as you run and scream or fall asleep at the keyboard.

It's about damn time, too. I was saying around launch how retarded it was that the game was designed around letting crafter and gatherer jobs be able to finish the main story. The main story was garbage because of the terrible quests, the actual story itself seemed just fine. And we can say goodbye to the stupidity of Parley, as well.

Allard

Darte said:

I actually didn't mind the idea of using diplomacy to solve battle problems (Parley) or battles like how they did lvl 48 one (manipulate the enemy to beat agression), but yeah it was stupid from a growth perspective. "designed for all, horrible for all" I liked the crafting class quests far more then I liked the main mission stuff because they added stuff into the mission that only crafting classes can do. (One Goldsmithing class quest had you protecting a mob from the background (he couldn't see you because you were tailing him) but aggressive mobs would come along the way and attack him, you needed to pick up items along the way, synth a special rock using the items while on a timer, and then when the little guy got in trouble you need to toss the rock at him to heal him completely as well as put him in a state of berserk, it was a balance of support and knowing when to craft and when to heal).

Jinko

I agree, not having party based content for the main story was a big let down for me.

I'm unclear if they are keeping the main story quests or not, if they are then they definately need to redesign it, it is a little disappointing that they still want the main story to be soloable though.

Rawr !!! I got banned on forums. Damn that Betelgeuzah.

Allard

Official Translation is up.

Some of the revamps sound like much bigger revamps then Reinhearts translation made it seem like.

*Gathering points won't be immediately visible unless you use a gathering node ability to seek them out.
*Nodes will appear based on lvl of class and certain items at those nodes can't be obtained unless a certain level as well.
*New resource 'like' tp/mp is going to be introduced for gathering and crafting.
*simplified gathering and crafting will become available for those that seek it.
*Fundamental animation revamps

All these changes will come between now and 2.0 but he mentioned some had to wait till 2.0 due to server issues (my guess is the node change, and they can add EXP chains, new animations, and maybe simplified gathering before then.)

He then goes onto why its taken so long to make changes to gathering (it was brought up constantly on the JP boards that felt the discipline was being ignored) And that has to do with the fundamental state of demand. If no demand is there, the gather class becomes useless, to facilitate demand he wanted to overhaul battle classes first, implement content for those battle classes that dictated getting new equipment, revamp recipes to work toward that new demand, promote a system of item consumption to remove items from the market to artificially inflate demand (Materia creation), implement easier features for buyer and seller trading (Search features in the market), and THEN add new new material and recipes that gathering classes can supply for demand.

Once these factors are done, then he will look at gathering and revamp existing properties so that when new content comes out, they have a place within the market that can't be easily replaced and is needed.

The rest is the same.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/30419-YoshiP-DoL-DoH-translated-post?p=439683#post439683

Ravidrath

About time they pulled back on the crafting gathering classes sharing the main story content. Making stuff soloable by battle classes is entirely different than making things soloable by all classes, and I think we'll see all the content improve significantly because of this new tact.

I'm actually pretty OK with them making most story content soloable - while it was rewarding in XI, it was too hard to get everyone on the same page, and you ended up being stifled for eons by the lack of availability of others.

I think soloable main story and related hyper-mode stuff is a good way to do it.

Munba

Another thing we have planned for housing is an underground facility for building boats and airships. (This will be implemented sometime after the release of 2.0) We will release an image for housing as soon as possible, so please look forward to this patiently.

Dreams come true. :0

Ravidrath

Munba said:
Dreams come true. :0

Yeah, see... this is the kind of thing that is cool.

Group goals over individual goals - I think it'd be pretty awesome to build a rad airship using materials you farm from bosses, etc.

Also, I wonder if it would be possible to make MMO ship combat fun? Something akin to Skies of Arcadia, only people are actually firing the cannons, etc. and working together as a team...

Munba

Yeah that would be awesome indeed.. so DoH, during fights, could fix the destroyed parts of the ship or helping to recharges cannons and so on. Woah, so many possibilities.

Jinko

Wish Yoshi would consider employing a full time economist to sort this game out, .... I suppose he could have for all I know.

*Gathering points won't be immediately visible unless you use a gathering node ability to seek them out.

This sounds like a pain to me, I hope they at least let us use the skills on chocoback and I want them to appear as markers on my minimap and not some text generated number in my log.

*Nodes will appear based on lvl of class and certain items at those nodes can't be obtained unless a certain level as well.

Does this suggest that if i use my seek skill outside Ul'dah a grade 5 node could appear, surely this will stop people wanting to explore the world.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So can someone help me understand how I'm supposed to gear up a class without leveling crafting and gathering as well? I'm level 12 or so on my MRD wearing the level 1 gear still. I'm not sure how much of a difference gear really does make, but I'm not really interested in leveling up a whole bunch of gathering and crafting jobs to get myself some basic gear right now. Maybe later on when I'm rank 50 in a few jobs, but not right now...I can't see it being very fun.

Cmagus

nicoga3000 said:
So can someone help me understand how I'm supposed to gear up a class without leveling crafting and gathering as well? I'm level 12 or so on my MRD wearing the level 1 gear still. I'm not sure how much of a difference gear really does make, but I'm not really interested in leveling up a whole bunch of gathering and crafting jobs to get myself some basic gear right now. Maybe later on when I'm rank 50 in a few jobs, but not right now...I can't see it being very fun.
Well at your level you can earn gil through leves to buy gear.Alternative is to ask if someone can make you some gear.I can see what i can make you when i get on

Allard

Jinko said:
Wish Yoshi would consider employing a full time economist to sort this game out, .... I suppose he could have for all I know.

This sounds like a pain to me, I hope they at least let us use the skills on chocoback and I want them to appear as markers on my minimap and not some text generated number in my log.

Does this suggest that if i use my seek skill outside Ul'dah a grade 5 node could appear, surely this will stop people wanting to explore the world.

Naw it sounds like its going to be similar to the way it is now, only certain 'grade' nodes will not appear till you reach a certain level where you can uncover them. Furthermore the change in level was hinted at previously but not implemented. He originally wanted to make it where your primary stat (VIT on Miner for instance) defined the items you could dig up. It sounds like he is taking it one step further and just tying certain items to your level and making gathering of items something closer to getting a new ability from a combat class, its just the next step in your career. Like iron ore can't be gathered till you are lvl 21 (Around when you might start using them on BSM for instance) and then in the same gathering node area at lvl 23 you might get the option to start gaining silver. This actually encourages exploring as he might beable to make it where certain areas will show items earlier in your level but it will harder to find and need much higher lvl to do it in a different place. This also means finding high grade nodes and exploiting the EXP from them will become a thing of the past (Which makes me sad... I got through lvl 22-25 almost exclusively on this lol)

Basically it sounds like he wants to make the gathering classes more exclusive and require more energy to get the items you want. Right now you can be on a combat class and just pass by a point, hop off choco, change class, dig, and move on with minimal downtime. It makes gathering class more of a tool then a class at this point. So instead you can only see nodes while on the gathering class, and only when you seek them out. To compensate for the change, they will tell you at the point what you can gather, as well as more accuracy to obtain the items you seek with the right approach thus making it easier to get items you want to get, you just have to work harder on finding what you seek rather then leaving it to random chance. He mentioned in the past about making a diary or journal that saves points after you find them the first time so maybe its initially a game of hot and cold, but as you get better you can find the points a lot easier and you become more specialized with the class itself.

This will only aid gathering classes as making items harder to get unless you seek them out also keeps the market from destabilizing in the future and makes the gathering classes always a necessary commodity, and not as a tool but people who are actually dedicated to the field.

Edit: Also I just felt this needed to be pointed out. Late last night they mentioned that they want to get the first part of the class overhaul info out later tomorrow. And since they technically said this Yesterday on the Japanese side it could come out soon as later today or early tomorrow morning.

kiryogi

Banned
nicoga3000 said:

Sorry about last night, I would have included you were it my party but . . . In any case, most of the crafters in the LS can help you out early on. And noncrafters could help you hunt NMs for gear, IE me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
kiryogi said:
Sorry about last night, I would have included you were it my party but . . . In any case, most of the crafters in the LS can help you out early on. And noncrafters could help you hunt NMs for gear, IE me.

Don't worry about it - I realize I'm still a lowbie, and this is all part of it. :p

I would love help with getting some gear that wasn't poo, though. That would be awesome - I don't have a ton of gil (read: 50k or so), so I can't really help too much with funds, but I'll give what I can and contribute any of the random stuff I've found.

Jinko

nicoga3000 said:
Don't worry about it - I realize I'm still a lowbie, and this is all part of it. :p

I would love help with getting some gear that wasn't poo, though. That would be awesome - I don't have a ton of gil (read: 50k or so), so I can't really help too much with funds, but I'll give what I can and contribute any of the random stuff I've found.

Logged on earlier to make you some stuff but you weren't on.

Mature

Rentahamster said:
Counter them with your own mature, analytical posts!

:D
I would, but I can't login to the forums because I haven't logged into FFXIV in 30 days which I cannot currently do due to internet reasons. :|

Allard

I mentioned it earlier but the reps translated the info from this morning. First part of the class changes will be released either tonight or tomorrow morning. It will detail the system changes to actions, while part 2 will be about a detailed look at both 1.20 and beyond for class identities.

Rentahamster said:
Made a new post regarding my recommendations for class balance:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/30477-DevTalk-Class-Rebalancing-Post-1.19

@nicoga if you want to make money, go kill burbles west of camp bloodshore and sell them for money. Or, take up a gathering class, preferably mining.

Just my 2 cents but there needs to be a larger DPS divide between tanks and DPS classes. I think its fine if any given class can DPS and tank but to be able to be a good tank and do competitive/top DPS at the same time is broken IMO. It marginalizes "pure" DPS classes and makes threat a non issue. Just bring 7 MRD and a CON to a xp/stronghold party and you'll kill faster than everybody else and stay alive longer too. MRD would be fine with their current DPS if it was in a berserk mode that reduced defenses to the point that it would be difficult to tank in such a manner. Similarly they should add 2H swords for GLD that would allow them to DPS competitively but the loss of a shield would make tanking with a greatsword silly, they'd have to make shields more attractive in the first place to accomplish this.

I could be misinterpreting it but I'm not sure I agree with this statement:
Balance is achieved by having some classes be a little better at other classes in certain areas

Balance IMO, is when any given class can perform their prescribed roles competitively with another class of the same role. I've seen people saying things like "LNC is single target DPS, MRD is AOE DPS" but I think segregating damage roles further into smaller roles will just lead to more encounters like the current Ifrit fight, with certain classes being wanted for certain encounters while others are excluded. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing each DPS class being able to do single target/AoE DPS of the same levels but in different manners. The real balancing act would be to create synergy between the classes so that it would be beneficial to bring different classes.

Perfect balance, for me, would mean that for any given encounter in the game you would just need to satisfy the "holy trinity" of tank, DPS, and healing in order to have a fighting chance. Needing a specific class for any given role just leads to the FFXI days of "well person X didn't log on today so we don't have class Y and therefore can't do encounter Z."

First part of the class reforms is up
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/30501?p=441509#post441509

EDIT: Finished reading it.
The changes sound pretty drastic so far. Since 15 actions are available to each class simply by leveling, and you can set 10 actions from other classes, I wonder if that means that there are 5 actions obtained by quests since that would account for a full 3 action bars. If that is the case then there are definitely skills being cut from the game as THM currently has well over 30 actions even when you remove the II and III spells. I can definitely see stuff like Paradigm Shift being removed since I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it but I wonder what else is getting the shaft.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
SuperLurker said:
First part of the class reforms is up
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/30501?p=441509#post441509

EDIT: Finished reading it.
The changes sound pretty drastic so far. Since 15 actions are available to each class simply by leveling, and you can set 10 actions from other classes, I wonder if that means that there are 5 actions obtained by quests since that would account for a full 3 action bars. If that is the case then there are definitely skills being cut from the game as THM currently has well over 30 actions even when you remove the II and III spells. I can definitely see stuff like Paradigm Shift being removed since I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it but I wonder what else is getting the shaft.

I will wait till actions reform..

Jinko

•Upper tiers of an action (such as Fire II and Fire III) will be abolished in favor of a system wherein potency and MP cost are scaled based on the player’s level.

This is what I wanted to happen, good work yoshi team !

Although personally I don't care about the what they are doing for shield skills, I think they will get a bit of back lash on that where mages are concerned, all in all a good move in my opinion.

Really liking these changes, I don't think its quite there yet but hopefully by 1.21 or slightly after they will have nailed it down.

On the fence with the combo system, will need to try that out before I have an opinion, I like the idea of +50% emnity for tanking though, that will come in very handy, Finally I can spam cure /o/

Teknoman

Jinko said:
This is what I wanted to happen, good work yoshi team !

Although personally I don't care about the what they are doing for shield skills, I think they will get a bit of back lash on that where mages are concerned, all in all a good move in my opinion.

Really liking these changes, I don't think its quite there yet but hopefully by 1.21 or slightly after they will have nailed it down.

On the fence with the combo system, will need to try that out before I have an opinion, I like the idea of +50% emnity for tanking though, that will come in very handy, Finally I can spam cure /o/

Finally I can ACTUALLY tank :p Nice changes going forward though. I'm glad they are still trying to use some sort of directional/position based combat. I wonder what they are going to do with the guilds now that traits will be learned and not purchased...

Upper tiers of an action (such as Fire II and Fire III) will be abolished in favor of a system wherein potency and MP cost are scaled based on the player’s level.

With the removal of II and III... more than a few classic fans might get ticked off, but does that mean the stronger you get, the spells will actually have a graphic change to match? They cant possibly want players to see the same magic animations throughout the game, except with stronger impacts based on level.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
With the removal of II and III... more than a few classic fans might get ticked off, but does that mean the stronger you get, the spells will actually have a graphic change to match? They cant possibly want players to see the same magic animations throughout the game, except with stronger impacts based on level.

I'm guessing that when you hit a certain level, they'll automatically upgrade to II and III animations - it'd be cool if critical hits were the next tier up, too. Maybe it'll be based on damage or INT?

Regarding mages... my only concern with the new spell roll-out thing is that we're going to lose the "Getting all elements at the same time" thing, which I think is important.

If they come gradually and are all the same strength, that's fine. I just don't want a situation like XI again where people only use Blizzard and Thunder, because they're the last spells you get.

Allard

Ravidrath said:
I'm guessing that when you hit a certain level, they'll automatically upgrade to II and III animations - it'd be cool if critical hits were the next tier up, too. Maybe it'll be based on damage or INT?

Regarding mages... my only concern with the new spell roll-out thing is that we're going to lose the "Getting all elements at the same time" thing, which I think is important.

If they come gradually and are all the same strength, that's fine. I just don't want a situation like XI again where people only use Blizzard and Thunder, because they're the last spells you get.

Since the spells potency is going to scale I imagine it will be fairly even with exception of racial and equipment traits. Honestly that little bit of info worries me because of the limit Yoshida has put on the class abilities. If its a 15 abilities 8 traits across all classes... what is going to happen to some spells? There are only 2 mage classes in game and if they split it up like that, that means maximum 30 spells, and that doesn't include potential abilities in there too.

Are they going to erase the na spells and just have an erase spell? Elemental abilities take 6-8 slots already, what about buffs etc. Also the scheme they want to work with also worries me as far as growth is concerned, but I guess they probably think they will fix it when they get to it. I mean if 15 abilities are already taken over on your main class and 10 are taken by your sub classes, and lets say 5 new abilities from job, then you completely filled out your 30 ability roster, how is that going to work when the level cap changes and 'hopefully' new stuff is added?

And then there is the changes to the tiers, what is going to happen to the raise spells? Right now raise I and raise II are completely different in how they function, and also they each have their own recast timer.

The only possible outcome I could see in why Yoshida has done it this way, is he hopes to take some of the abilities we have now and put it on another class in the future. Also rasp like spells I can see end up being a combo trait for THM/BLM. These changes are drastic and almost scary, I am really looking forward to next week for the class identity post because these limitations for the sake of streamlining are going to take a lot of stuff out of the game it looks like.

Jinko

I duno why eveyone is so worried about mage classes, in all the MMO's I have played FF14 has the worst mage classes, both healing and damage.

They could delete every single spell for all I care as long as they replace it with something useful lol

On a side note I imagine Raise 2 to level up in the same way as any other tiered spell, it cost the same as Raise 1, shares the same cool down the effect it has is slightly different.

Perhaps it's "rank" will change depending on the person you are casting it on.

Regarding mages... my only concern with the new spell roll-out thing is that we're going to lose the "Getting all elements at the same time"

Is this 100% confirmed, maybe they are counting all elemental spells as one set of spells. /shrugs

I'm finding it hard to think up 11 traits for conjurer, perhaps they plan to convert some of the existing spells to traits like Tranquility, Trance Chant, Profundity and Soughspeak. (obviously not all traits have to be passive)

Allard

Jinko said:
I duno why eveyone is so worried about mage classes, in all the MMO's I have played FF14 has the worst mage classes, both healing and damage.

They could delete every single spell for all I care as long as they replace it with something useful lol

On a side note I imagine Raise 2 to level up in the same way as any other tiered spell, it cost the same as Raise 1, shares the same cool down the effect it has is slightly different.

Perhaps it's "rank" will change depending on the person you are casting it on.

Is this 100% confirmed, maybe they are counting all elemental spells as one set of spells. /shrugs

I'm finding it hard to think up 11 traits for conjurer, perhaps they plan to convert some of the existing spells to traits like Tranquility, Trance Chant, Profundity and Soughspeak. (obviously not all traits have to be passive)

I can easily see them filling out traits, in fact it was one of the first things I felt was missing when I played it during beta. FFXI had a ton of traits, and those traits even leveled up as you went on. Heightened passive refresh trait, the obvious fastcast on Conjuror, healing potency traits, elemental potency traits (to make THM/BLM nukes better then other people) and then maybe situational traits that act like the old abilities. "Elemental Binding: When standing still for 5 seconds or more, your spells mp cost is halved." etc. Or an MP up trait, extended duration enfeebling, more potent enfeebling trait, enmity down trait. Traits are a nice place to really bring out the potential in a class since they are exclusive, it also allows developers the place to really find the gaps in a classes potential with a rival class.

And like I said I expect some spells/abilities to out right be removed and then shuffled on to another class they want to add down the line. Take most of the absorb spells off THM and make a Dark Knight class, along with some of THM's abilities. When that class is released suddenly those spells reopen to THM but its not what it excels at anymore. The only 'worry' I have is the limit they have placed themselves in, but I suppose one way to alleviate it is to add a 4th action bar down the line or at a certain level abilities stop automatically being put on the list so players once again have a choice in what they want to add when jobs and class abilities go over the limit.

Jinko

FF11 didn't have tons of traits really, they had 4-5 main ones per class (some of them crappy like resist silence, sleep) and some of those could be used as cross class ones, like Summoners refesh.

I can easily see them fitting the whitemage role into 15 spells, but not so much the backmage one.

I'm hoping when they release the proper notes CNJ is difinitively whitemage/healer, I'm curious what they are guna do with the elemental spells, if they are going to give CNJ banish/dia as its main way to DPS/level.

Ravidrath

I'm a little disappointed that traits are tied to a specific class, because those actually seemed like pretty good things to mix-and-match, since they're just data modifiers.

I guess that's difficult for balance, though.

I wonder how they will deal with the player revolt when Fleet of Foot is taken away from all jobs except Lancers. I would be willing to quit the game just because of that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Jinko said:

Did that first video show shared loot? I haven't been following GW2 much, but if that's how they're doing loot, that's fantastic. It would really encourage people to work together on a whim knowing they are for sure getting SOMETHING out of it. Pretty sweet. It looks fluid, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom